3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

I love my Pelonis Oil Filled Radiator Heater

Over the years I've come to find that my Pelonis Oil Filled Radiator Heater has been a great way to keep rooms in my house warm when I haven't wanted to heat the entire house.  Why's that?  It provides a nice steady heat when it's running, the entire unit is practically silent and I just think it's safer to use than your standard ceramic heater. The Pelonis looks like one of the old fashioned radiators you'd find in an older home and when it comes to the way it functions, it really follows that model.  There's an electrical element inside the radiator that heats up the oil inside.  The oil in turn warms the radiator itself and that lets Pelonis gives off a steady stream of heat and provides some warmth after you've turned it off, since the radiator coils and the oil stay warm for a bit.

There's a standard plug with the Pelonis and the cord is about 6 feet long.  That's enough to move your unit around in most rooms.  In addition, the wheels on the bottom of the unit make it even easier to move around.  There are really only four settings on the Pelonis and adjusting them is easy.  The upper dial on the unit offers you the opportunity to set the unit at off, low, medium and high.  The initial setting determines how much energy the Pelonis uses and how quickly it generates its heat.  The second dial below that is the thermostat.  There's no numbers or temperatures on the dial though, all you have to do is turn on the Pelonis and let the room warm up to the temperature that you want.  When it gets there, just turn the thermostat dial until you hear a ‘click' and the Pelonis will maintain that temperature by cycling on and off.  If you want it to be cooler, turn it down a bit from there or if you want it to be warmer, just turn it up a bit and the heater will then heat up until that new point.

There is a plastic guard on the top of the unit so you can't rest your hands on the hot radiator coils.  However the sides of the radiator are still open, so there is some chance to touch the hot coils.  They are hot, but not hot enough to really burn you if you touch them.  The Pelonis will shut itself off if it's overheating.

**Using my Pelonis**

You have to realize that you won't get the instant heat of the ceramic heaters with the Pelonis.  Instead you get a slow and steady heat that takes a little while to really build up.  In place of that instant heat though, you get a heater that I think is safer.  That's because there isn't anything on the exterior of the unit that could be a fire hazard.  The exterior does gets hot, but even if it were to fall over, it would be unlikely to be hot enough to cause any real damage.  I also really like that it's quiet.  Since all you are doing is heating the oil inside with an electric coil, there are no fans running and besides the occasional click or gurgle, the Pelonis is silent.

I haven't found the Pelonis to use all that much electricity and haven't noticed a huge different in electric bills over the years.  Of course, it does depend on the setting you use, since the higher the power setting, the more electricity you are going to use.  I generally just keep it on the low setting.  If I know I'm going to be in a room that I want warmer, I'll go in about 15 minutes before hand, turn the thermostat up and turn the heater on low.

**My Take**

The Pelonis Oil Filled Radiator Heater has been a heater in our home for several years now and I haven't had a problem with it since I've purchased it.  I would definitely consider another one of these units in the future since they are energy efficient, provide a steady source of heat and work in almost complete silence.  In my book, all of that makes for a great room heater.

broke fast and company unhelpful and uncaring

I purchased 2 of these heaters.  They put out good heat.  Caution - people or pets can be easily burned.  They have to be dusted.  The control dials broke quickly.  This was after 7 weeks of use, 6 hours per night.  The dial suddenly went gritty and the system would not turn on.  When I emailed the company twice, both letters were ignored.  When I called, a worker said basically, too bad.  I called several days later and got yet another worker who was rude and condescending.  The attitude was "tough luck" and they hung-up.  I'll never purchase pelonis again. the dial suddenly went gritty and the system would not turn on.  When I emailed the company twice, both letters were ignored.  When I called, a worker said basically, too bad.  I called several days later and got yet another worker who was rude and condescending.  The attitude was "tough luck" and they hung-up.  I'll never purchase pelonis again.

Fire Hazard

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

bought this to heat up our living room, and it does heat up, but I noticed the plug got REAL HOT.. plugged into a wall outlet, nothing else plugged in, and noticed this morning that the plug is charred and the plastic around the prongs on the plug is melted. I called the company, and got told that "yes, these heaters get hot and it isn't unusual for the plugs to get hot and they can melt, however it isn't a recalled item"..
Really - not a recalled item and yet if I hadn't have been moving the heaters location to decorate for Christmas, My entire house could have burned down because of this. I bought it at WalMart, guess they will be getting it back.

two words - FIRE HAZARD

Shouldn't have to worry that your home will burn down because the plug gets hot and starts a fire.

Bad design if the cord gets hot enough to start a fire.

Mixed feelings

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

Our central heating unit crashed in the house so my mother in law bought us the pelonis portable oil filled heater. Three of them to be exact. They take quite a while to heat up but once they do they keep the room very comfortable. It has wheels so it is easy to move around. It isn't hot to the touch so there is no worry about getting the accidental burn. They make a weird crackeling noise that I havent figured out, but that's when you first cut it off or on. Two of the heaters are still working for their second year. when I cut the third one on this year, I got a surprise. It instantly started smoking and filled the house with the burning wire smell. I've had no trouble with the other two but am concerned that maybe it will happen with them too, so we can't sleep with them running or when we leave the house. It sucks to wake up cold, but better safe than sorry. I won't be buying another one though.

• Safety:

Adore the heater type, hate the company/brand

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

If you want a heater that will heat your room and not break the bank, I highly recommend A portal oiled filled radiator heater. We have four of them and only recently did one of them break. We purchased a different type in its place because we couldn't find the brand we wanted. All the store had was Pelonis and though the heaters do indeed heat, the quality of these heaters leaves much to be desired.

We owned a Pelonis in the past, this one specifically which is why I'm reviewing it. The front plate is similar to those cheap plastic picnic plates that you get during the summer. After light use, the knob cracked and the piece fell off behind the knob. The only way to get the knob off was to pry the front off and let the broken piece fall. After that incident we had to use pliers to adjust the heating level a week later the other knob broke off and we'd had enough. We did not turn the knobs too hard, nor were we rough with the unit. There are other portable heaters that are made with much higher quality (One of our other units is a Lakewood we've had for years).

Heats well

Very easy used.

Knobs break off but heater still works.

Hard plastic knobs and covering. Sort of reminds one of plastic dinner plates.

Safety
Hot to the touch but that's to be expected.

Not durable whatsover...

from Amboy, WA

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

I have had several space heaters that are oil filled. I first used one in the 1990's for our young daughter's room, because it seemed to be the safest. It was perfect-love the choice of 600, 900 or 1500 watts, it is safest as it will not tip over and start a fire, still have it and it works! When I needed another one, I didn't think twice about buying the same style and have regretted it. This model was made so cheaply that the knob broke within the first year, making the unit unusable. I called several times trying to order it and they always promised to send one out, but never received one. I even offered to purchase the knob, but they told me no, they would simply send me one.

Heats fast

from Pocatello, ID

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

I bought this heater for my office at work. Before having this heater I would wear my coat in my office because it was so cold. Now when I get to work I turn on my heater and my office is warm within 20 minutes. It’s a great heater. It’s quiet, which is a nice feature, especially in a work environment.
If you touch it, it is hot, because its an oil filled heater. There are two heat settings on it, which is nice. I also like that its on wheels, so I can easily move it around in my office. I’d buy another one of these to heat our basement! It seems like it can heat a large area in a fast amount of time. It's easy to turn on and off and doesn't take up too much room.

broke fast and company unhelpful and uncaring

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

I purchased 2 of these heaters.  They put out good heat.  Caution - people or pets can be easily burned.  They have to be dusted.  The control dials broke quickly.  This was after 7 weeks of use, 6 hours per night.  The dial suddenly went gritty and the system would not turn on.  When I emailed the company twice, both letters were ignored.  When I called, a worker said basically, too bad.  I called several days later and got yet another worker who was rude and condescending.  The attitude was "tough luck" and they hung-up.  I'll never purchase pelonis again.

Great heater fo the money

from Stillwater, OK

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

We purchased the Pelonis Oil-filled Radiator Heater at the beginning of last winter.  The heater has 3 settings/levels of heating choices.  There is a second nob that is used to adjusting the "thermostat" of the unit.  It is about 2 1/2 feet tall and 8 inches wide at the wheel base which is the widest part.  It is on wheels so it is easy to move from room to room.

This is an oil-fill style heater which is flameless and does not have air-forced heat.  However, while it does not offer direct air forced heat, it can heat a room fairly nicely after the oil is heated up.  We use it in our children's room which is about 144 square feet.  If it is left on #2 and in the middle of the thermostat range, it keeps their room comfortable.  It does get hot to touch, but it has not been hot enough to burn me when I have touched it which makes it a safer option for our children's room.  Also, the flameless option offers another sense of comfort.

Keeps me warm!

from Bellevue, NE

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

The Pelonis WM-HO202C Oil Filled Radiator Heater is one of the best investments I have made.  I have saved so much on my gas heat using this heater.  My electric bill is still relatively low and I use this all the time.

It is easy to store, move and doesn't take up much space at all.  I feel totally safe using this heater.  It takes the chill out of the air and saves me money!  What more can you ask for?

Awesome little heater!

from Chesterton, IN

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

When our furnace died in December, we bought six portable heaters to keep the house warm. Since we had no idea what to expect from any of them, we bought a variety, and luckily two of them were the Pelonis oil filled radiator heater! I LOVE this heater! It gave off a lot of heat, and was able to heat a faily large space - my home has 10' ceilings and the rooms are large. It heated up very quickly, but wouldn't burn you if you touched it, or bumped into it. It was also SILENT, which was a relief after going crazy listening to some of the other heaters with their fans. It also did not emit a huge sunlamp-like glare like another heater did. It is very easy to operate, you don'thave to be a genius to just plug it in, and fix the dials to your desired heat level. My pets were not afraid of it, and often laid right next to it (no sound, just heat).

So Great - might as well order 2!

from Skowhegan, ME

Comments about Pelonis Portable Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater:

Seriously, order 2! I purchased one and with a man in the house, he was always taking it for his "projects" in the garage. It's SAFE, a no brainer to operate and easy to move. After going to look for it when I needed it I gave in and bought a second one. I use mine for projects that I work on in the basement, like painting canvas rugs. This little heater throws the heat and is safe around pets. It get hot but you do not have to worry about a flame or open fire, as the oil heats and it's all contained. PLUS it is energy efficient, with the multiple settings you can adjust the temperature and how fast you want to heat a given area. We've owned ours now for several years and would not be without them. Get 2 - one for you and the second one so you don't have to look for yours as it has many applications and they are so affordable!