View more Infant Car Seats

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat

3.9

Expensive, but we loved it

This is an expensive infant carrier and at the time I felt that it was worth it to protect my new, baby son.  I wanted him to have the best car seat and be protected the most possible.  That being said, this is the car seat for that.  I felt like he was well protected.  He was comfortable and I felt good about him being in it.

Now that he is older and I look back on the reasons why I bought it.  There are other car seats out there that are fine and work fine and would be been fine.  The reality is that he is not going to be in it more than 9 months tops and it would be better to get a more expensive car seat then.

One of the top cons of most people who have this car seat is that it is heavy.  And while this is true, if you do all your research the extra weight is because of the heavy duty plastic.  Honestly, while it does technically weigh more than other car seats, this should not be the deciding factor in to get it or not.  It doesn't matter that much.  We are talking about maybe 1-2 lbs.... Your child is going to end up weighing in the ball park of say 18 lbs at the most while you are using this carrier... an extra 1-2 lbs doesn't matter that much.

Is this really made for newborns?

I have never been so unimpressed with a car seat as I was with this car seat.  This is our fourth car seat as we now own 2 convertible car seats and 2 infant car seats for our 18 month old and newborn.  Having two car seats allows me to directly compare one car seat with another.  This car seat makes us love our Chicco KeyFit so much more.  In the pictures, the Peg Perego is red/black and the Chicco is brown/orange and is there for comparison sake.First impressions were that this car seat had nice fabric and looked comfortable.  Installing the car seat base was easy.  The base has a system with a ball that needs to end up in the green zone instead of the red zone when you have it tightened down.  I didn't have to adjust it up or down for my car, so I don't know how difficult turning that knob was.Our problems with this arose when we first put our daughter in it.  Our daughter was 7 lbs 12.5 ounces on Monday (6 days old), we got this car seat on Wednesday (8 days old), and these pictures were taken Thursday.  When she was born, she had a larger than normal head at 34 cm.  As you can see from the attached picture, there is a huge amount of space between her head and the sides of the seat's head protection.  For comparison sake, I also included a picture of her in her Chicco Keyfit.  Her head does not seem as well supported and in the stroller she moves back and forth.As if the side to side head support wasn't bad enough, this car seat has our little girl's head also leaning forward due to the natural incline of the seat.  I tried to get a picture of a side by side comparison of the incline in these car seats.  But, the incline in the Peg Perego is significantly more, causing our daughter head to slump forward more often than we would like or are used to with our Chicco Keyfit. The Peg Perego seems like it may be better for older infants. Those sisde head supports are impressive in look and feel.  But, right now our daughter has a good distance til she would hit one side in a sip impact crach.  Since the Peg Perego only goes to 22 pounds, I am sure that it should have gotten the average size infant.  Our Chicco only goes to 22 pounds also and has removable head and body inserts (included and safety tested) to work better for newborns and older infants. We bought this car seat primarily for use in our stroller and it works good for that.  We had planned to secondarily use it for the second car, but we probably will not do that until our girl grows into it.Finally, I should mention that the Peg Perego reviewed was the 2007 model.  In general, you can find Peg Peregos last year products online at a significant discount over the current year's models.

amazing

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

My cousin bought this amazing baby car seat as our baby shower gift that we picked out. Well worth it. We felt our baby was safe and comfortable in it. It is pricey I'm not going to deny that, but we loved the look and had a good vibe about it and it had great reviews that we read about. We would and have recommended this amazing, great looking and comfortable baby car seat to anyone especially to our family and friends. We definitely didn't have the luxury as a baby back then to have such a nice baby car seat. Plus I'm sure our parents wouldn't have picked it since it is on the pricey side if they had this back then. I was a super fat baby so who knows if i would have fitted in it. I've no complaints about this lovely baby car seat at all. Totally love it. Can't wait to have our other future babies using it too.

Child's Comfort
Our little princess totally looked comfortable in this car seat...made us envy her lol. Lucky little baby girl :)

Support and Safety
It had great support and we felt it was safe for our baby girl.

Gorgeous car seat

• Ease of Installation:
  • Child's Comfort:
  • Support and Safety:

A well made car seat that I feel safe putting my infant in.

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

You can tell when picking this car seat up compared to others that it is of high quality. I've had it for several years and the with having three children it still looks brand new. It seems to be a little heavier when comparing to other car seats, but I equate that with high quality materials that they are using. All three kids have been very comfortable in it. The material we chose makes it very easy to wipe clean.

Ease of Installation
The base is easy to install. It snaps in most cars and then the car seat easily snaps into the base. It has a leveler on it so you know that you installed in correctly.

Child's Comfort
My kids always seemed very comfortable in it. They had no problem falling asleep in it.

We've had it for several years (over the course of 3 kids). It has held up shockingly well, since it is something we use everyday. The material is still in great shape, there are no tears and it still looks pretty similar to the day we purchased it.

• Ease of Installation:
  • Child's Comfort:
  • Support and Safety:

Love, Love the Peg Perego Primo Carseat

from Newnan, GA

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

The Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Car Seat is just that, Primo! This seat allows the infant to sit in it up to 30 pounds which is more than most car seat carriers allow. The adjustable head rest is also great because it is so easy to adjust as the baby grows. It also seems like it is larger than most other carseats allowing your child to be comfortable as they remain in a rear facing seat. The base on this seat is also very easy to use. It allows you to hold the handle and lift up the back quickly without a lot of movement. The seat provides shoulder belt cushions to allow your child to be comfortable from the irratation of the belts. The side impact feature is also a huge safety feature that a lot of seats don't offer. We absolutely love this seat!

Expensive, but we loved it

from Athens, GA

Great from your baby's first trip home until age 1

from Flushing, NY

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

I have this carseat and am now using it for my second child. It really held up well. With some mild cleaning, it's like brand new. The great features of this carseat are that it is easy to adjust, very trendy looking and durable. I would recommend investing in an additional base if you have more than one car so you can click the carseat into whichever car you are using without having to transfer the base. The major drawback is the weight. This carseat is pretty heavy so with the additional weight of your baby (especially as he grows older) you're going to be lugging around quite some weight. Granted you can leave the carseat in the car but when your baby is sleeping, you'd rather take him out in the seat and click it into a stroller. This carseat is compatible with most strollers if you buy the adaptor piece needed. The only other drawback is that I do not find it has great head spport for newborns. My kids' heads would move from side to side so I bought additional head padding to keep them secure.

Durable and easy to use

from Granger, IN

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

I just love this car seat - it is easy to use, easy to clean - and all around easy!  The straps can easily be adjusted as baby gets bigger.  The one thing that took getting used to was pushing in the buttons to move the handle to carry the car seat on its own.  I kept having issues pushing the buttons at the same time and then moving the handle, but I got used to it as I used it.  When baby was tiny, we purchased an extra head holder that we placed in the seat, so that there would be cushion around the head.  This worked great for us.  It didn't block the straps or the other features of the car seat.  I would purchase this car seat again - even though it was a little more costly that other car seats available.  I think the quality is great -just wish it wasn't so expensive - and that you could use a coupon or some kind of discount on it - its always blocked from discounts!!! very frustrating!

Stylish convenient carseat

from Dublin, CA

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

This is a decent carseat that is compatible with the peg perego stroller.  We love the fact that you can leave your child in the car seat as you move them from the car to the stroller and then into the house to continue napping in if necessary.  The carseat can be faced towards you or away from you in the stroller.  In addition, all the upholstery is removable so you can throw it in the wash if your child spits up a good one and hand scrubbing just doesn't seem to get it clean enough.  You can find replacement upholstery for the carseat if your style changes through the years.  I find that peg perego provides uber stylish options and even fail safe ones for those who like traditional prints or colors.  One con about the carseat is that newborns heads seem to flop around a bit so a rolled receiving blanket will come in handy in most cases.  Although, I'm not sure if all carseats have this issue because newborns are just so darn tiny.

Expensive, but well worth it!

from Florence, AL

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

We bought the Primo Viaggio SIP Titanio Infant Car Seat when we found out we were pregnant with our first child. I am a research FANATIC, and researched carseats for months before making this purchase. Of course the most important thing when shopping for a car seat is the safety of it. After safety the two things I consider are comfort and price. Granted, this is one of the most expensive carseats on the market, and you only use it for 6 months to a year (depending on the size of your baby), but for us it was worth it to spend the extra cash. The car seat is very sturdy and is built in such a way as to completley protect the baby's head and body if there should ever be a collision. It comes with a base that can be kept in the car (the seat itself locks in and out of the base), but it can also be strapped in without the base. The only downsides to this seat (besides the price) are its bulkiness (because its so sturdy, its a bit heavy) and its very upright sitting position when strapped into the car without its base. I never worried about my baby's safety though, and will be using it with my second child as well.****

I loved it but my baby didn't

from Pittsford, NY

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

When I was pregnant, I wanted this carseat and the matching stroller more than anything else. I don't regret picking this but I wish I had read more reviews before becoming so fixed on this one carrier. I knew I wanted the safest option, especially for my winter baby, but I wasn't prepared for her not to like it. She cried every time we started driving which is strange since the motion usually puts babies to sleep. Even at a year when she was still too small for a bigger carseat, she cried every time when she was in there. I rate this at a four though because I had the comfort in knowing how safe the product was, even if it was apparently uncomfortable. I love the Paloma style because the material was so easy to clean. Plus it was pretty stylish. I even got the matching diaper bag so I was all set on the Paloma products!

The safest but is too heavy!

from Federal Way, WA

Comments about Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat:

I researched tons of car seats until my eyes couldn't take it any more. Even my husband was sick of researching and we finally settled on the Peg Perego just because of its safety rating and reputation. I do not regret putting my son's safety first - even before price, but I do agree that the car seat is not worth the money.

It costs double or triple others out there that are just as safe and on top of that it weighs a ton! My son who was born heavy, is only getting heavier, and when in his car seat, I can barely carry the whole thing without having to stop every few steps to rest! I have body builder friends who carry him in the seat for me and even they break a sweat!

I do love the quality of the seat and compared to other cheaper ones, it does feel safer, sturdier and of better worksmanship, but I think for our next baby I'll have to go with a lighter one, just for my own back and my own health!