1.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

My rental went smooth and the car was perfect.

A rental car is a commodity, right? I just wanted a cheap car for my week-long business trip to Las Vegas last week and Payless fit the bill.

Bottom line:...Read complete review

Bottom line: I'd rent from Payless again.

**What I Got**

I reserved my rental car through Travelocity and Payless was listed as the least expensive company for a compact car, around $109 for a week (before taxes). Fees and taxes on rental cars are exhorbitant in Las Vegas, but that is not the fault of the rental car company. Just be aware that Las Vegas car rentals cost much more than you expect, due to high fees and taxes. The total was $162 after all the fees and taxes were added -- again, these fees and taxes apply to all rentals at the Las Vegas airport, so this is not a reflection on Payless.

All car rentals at the Las Vegas airport are now handled through a single large rental center. This includes just about every car company, including Hertz, Avis, National, Payless, Dollar and so forth. You need to take a generic car rental bus to the rental center, and all the car companies have desks in this new center. It's a little disconcerting but it worked well.

The car I received was a 2007 Ford Focus and it was brand new with eight miles on the odometer. The car was so new that the license plate hadn't been installed yet! The car was perfect in every way and I had no trouble with it whatsoever.

**The Deal**

I'm convinced that rental car companies make very little on the actual car rental and most of the profit is on the added insurance. Therefore, I got a very hard pitch for add-on insurance from the otherwise friendly clerk. She repeatedly informed me that I was liable for the company's "loss-of-use" of the car in the event I damaged the car in some way, even if the damage was someone else's fault. This sounded ominous but I waived it off and took the car naked, without the add-on insurance. No damage was done, so my gamble paid off.

Other than the hard-sell on insurance, everyone at Payless was friendly and easygoing. The car was perfect and exactly the sort of car that I wanted.

**Summary**

I liked the people and the car from Payless... I'd do it again for my next car rental.

Payless - or more.

I came to rent a car with Payless at Las Vegas. The front desk lady was real cute & sweet. She told us she was giving us a free upgrade. Read complete review

It was a scam. Not until after I had signed the papers and received my bill did I find that they charged 20$ extra -a day- for that "free" upgrade. When I called up to complain, they just told me it was my fault for signing the papers. It also took 5 calls before they'd even consider listening to me.

Yes, I know it was stupid not to check the fine print. But that is still not a good way to run a business. I will never rent with them again.

If it was 5$ a day, I wouldn't have complained. But 20$? They are seriously milking this. Be careful of cute front desk ladies and thier "sweet" deals.

Will NOT use them again

from Modesto, CA

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Will never rent from them again. Very poor customer service. Reserved a car through Travelocity. Picked up in Seattle. Refused the car insurance as I always do, as I have my own insurance. Was told to initial/sign in 3 spots, my mistake I didn't read the fine print. 4 days into the rental i realize my card had been charged much more than I was quoted on Travelocity. Called the rental company and was told the "optional roadside assistance" is added to all their rentals. (its not optional then is it?) When I explained I had AAA and roadside assistance through my insurance, she told me she would file a dispute with her supervisor. I assumed I should at least be refunded an amount prorated for the remainder of the rental period.
For the last 3 weeks I have tried to call the Seattle phone number as instructed, I am always asked to leave a message and the mail box is full no matter which extension I try. filled out the on line report twice with no response.
Today, I called the 800 number and was told that I would have had to return in person the the Seattle Airport in order to have anything changed on my contract and since I signed it, that is that! No apology for the fact that their employee did not ask me if I wanted the service or that another employee did not give me proper information to resolve the issue.
So, My car rental has not only cost me an extra $60 for roadside assistance, but another $20 in miscellaneous fees above what I was quoted. it's not even the $$, but the amount of time and frustration I've gone through from their total lack of customer service.

Review of Payless Cars

from Baltimore, Maryland (airport)

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

I am simply a frequent car renter. A family member and I happened to bump into this rental site after having difficulty finding a car with another rental company. I am glad we found it.

Beware of Payless Car Rental!!! Poor Customer Service

from Oakland, CA

HORRIBLE!!
Was over charged, said I didn't fill up the gas tank and I did. My flight was at 6am, I was told to leave the car at Avis with the keys on the dash since I would be dropping off before they were open. I did drop off at 4:30am and boarded my flight at 6am. When I disputed the charge they stated it was dropped off in the afternoon and the gas was not full. Sent copies of my boarding pass and a gas receipt dated the morning of my flight at 4:20am in Oakland one block away from the airport and still did not respond to my dispute. Sent several emails requesting a call, they never called. Stuck with the extra charges!!!

Payless car rental will charge you extra and treat you badly

from Reno, nv

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Primarily, I waited in line for 45 min to get my car. I denied the insurance they charged me it anyway. I told them there was only one driver, they charged me for two.

The advertisement said the car was at the airport but it wasn't, we had to take a shuttle for which they DID NOT provide a car seat. The guy (Nick of Reno, NV) suggested I go on the shuttle and bring back the car--to what? Leave my kids at the airport?

The car was muddy, the back seat was covered in sand, there was trash in the console, and an open bag of potato chips in the glove box. Renting a car seat cost more than buying a new one and their car seat was outdated.

It was then that I realized the receipt said $284, but they charged me $545. I brought the receipt to the front desk and the lady told me "to have faith" that they would reimburse at the end of our trip. I asked for a supervisor to void it out. Austin of Reno, NV said, as he POUNDED HIS HAND ON THE COUNTER AND RAISED HIS VOICE TO ME,

"Let me tell you for the fourth time since you didn't listen the first three times I said it. This is just how things are done here. We don't have another receipt showing the difference in what you were charged. No, I WONT void this out. You need to leave. If you don't like it here, don't rent here."

We budgeted for that vacation to Reno and Payless car rental took all our spending money and all my patience.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE FOLKS! DRUGS LEFT IN CAR!

from Omaha Nebraska

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Don't waste your money with Payless Car rental. They have numerous hidden fees, billing add-ons, poor customer service. The first day I had the rental car I found drugs and a drug scale under my drivers seat. Three weeks after I returned the rental I got a letter in the mail stating they were charging my credit card $250 for cleaning pet hair from my car. Are you kidding me? I got charged for a few dog hairs but they miss the drugs and paraphernalia for the customer before me? They stated it would be $9 for each extra day. They don't mention they charge $10 late fee per day plus $20 taxes per day on top of that. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE FOLKS!

Unsatisfactory for the Price

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Only one person at counter, Counter person had to go out and inspect a car that another renter wanted to exchange. I rented an intermediate car. The car had a musty smell, and was very dirty inside. Probably will not rent from this company again.

Worst rental experience ever!!!!!!

from Los Angeles

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Rented a car at LAX. When I got to the rental location it took over one hour to get to the agent to rent the car. I have never seen anything like this. Then they said to get any car in a certain section and when I went to get a car there were none there and had to wait another 30 minutes for one to be brought up. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Do Not Use

from San Francisco

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

My plane was delayed because of weather when i got to the airport and no one showed up I tried calling but they closed at 10 pm. So I had to rent from another company. When I called them they really didn't care poor customer service.

nobody to open the store on Ft. Myers airport location

from Ft Myers, FL

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

I attempted to return my car to the Ft. Myers (off airport location). Store was supposed to open at 7 a.m. and I arrived at 7:05. There were two other families waiting outside the store and doors were locked. Shuttle driver was there frantically trying to reach someone so he could get keys to the passenger van to drop us off at the airport.

My wife called the toll free number asking what we should do. The customer service person said we could "try" to drop the car off with another agency but there may be a fee and there is a chance they won't accept it. She asked what we would do with the car if they didn't accept it and they didn't know.

Driver gave up after 30 mins of no response so he took one of the cars to be dropped off and took as many passengers as he could. His service was fantastic. We were on the second round and left by 8 with nobody at the store yet. Thankfully to the driver, we made our flight.

I called customer service when I arrived home and was told I needed to contact Ft. Myers location to address. It's now the 3rd day since I called and I've not heard back.

Unsafe vehicle

from Omaha, NE

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

I had to return the car less than 24 hours after rental, because it was unsafe to drive. No one was at the counter, so I checked it in with the attendant who told me to write the time I returned the car on the paperwork and leave it in the return slot at the desk. No one checked it in for three more days and I got charged for those three days. "Customer care" told me I was liable for the charges as the car was not checked in until 3 days later. This company is horrible and the car I got was dangerous. Do not rent from these people.