1.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

My rental went smooth and the car was perfect.

A rental car is a commodity, right? I just wanted a cheap car for my week-long business trip to Las Vegas last week and Payless fit the bill.

Bottom line:...Read complete review

Bottom line: I'd rent from Payless again.

**What I Got**

I reserved my rental car through Travelocity and Payless was listed as the least expensive company for a compact car, around $109 for a week (before taxes). Fees and taxes on rental cars are exhorbitant in Las Vegas, but that is not the fault of the rental car company. Just be aware that Las Vegas car rentals cost much more than you expect, due to high fees and taxes. The total was $162 after all the fees and taxes were added -- again, these fees and taxes apply to all rentals at the Las Vegas airport, so this is not a reflection on Payless.

All car rentals at the Las Vegas airport are now handled through a single large rental center. This includes just about every car company, including Hertz, Avis, National, Payless, Dollar and so forth. You need to take a generic car rental bus to the rental center, and all the car companies have desks in this new center. It's a little disconcerting but it worked well.

The car I received was a 2007 Ford Focus and it was brand new with eight miles on the odometer. The car was so new that the license plate hadn't been installed yet! The car was perfect in every way and I had no trouble with it whatsoever.

**The Deal**

I'm convinced that rental car companies make very little on the actual car rental and most of the profit is on the added insurance. Therefore, I got a very hard pitch for add-on insurance from the otherwise friendly clerk. She repeatedly informed me that I was liable for the company's "loss-of-use" of the car in the event I damaged the car in some way, even if the damage was someone else's fault. This sounded ominous but I waived it off and took the car naked, without the add-on insurance. No damage was done, so my gamble paid off.

Other than the hard-sell on insurance, everyone at Payless was friendly and easygoing. The car was perfect and exactly the sort of car that I wanted.

**Summary**

I liked the people and the car from Payless... I'd do it again for my next car rental.

Payless - or more.

I came to rent a car with Payless at Las Vegas. The front desk lady was real cute & sweet. She told us she was giving us a free upgrade. Read complete review

It was a scam. Not until after I had signed the papers and received my bill did I find that they charged 20$ extra -a day- for that "free" upgrade. When I called up to complain, they just told me it was my fault for signing the papers. It also took 5 calls before they'd even consider listening to me.

Yes, I know it was stupid not to check the fine print. But that is still not a good way to run a business. I will never rent with them again.

If it was 5$ a day, I wouldn't have complained. But 20$? They are seriously milking this. Be careful of cute front desk ladies and thier "sweet" deals.

Charged for gas even though returned with a full tank

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Watch out, I was charged $39- in advance for gas. I pointed this out to the clerk and he said I would be refunded for any amount not needed to fill the tank. When I returned the car with a full tank, the attendant said I would need to call to request the refund. When I got home and called, they said I needed to provide a receipt proving I got gas. I did not have one, so they refused to refund the money.

worst rental car experience ever

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Payless at BWI MD. Worst. Rental car experience. Ever. They lost my reservation, then found, then lost, then found again. Took forever for them to figure it out. I stood at counter for nearly an hour. When I picked up car at the lot, the lighting was horrible, and it was too dark to see anything. Walked around car to look for damage, but couldn't see much besides shadows. Also, car was covered in road salt. Tried to find agent to help, but no one was around. When I returned car, they claimed there was damage (scratches to bumper) that wasn't there previously. I did not cause this damage. I hardly even drove this car. Did not hit anything while I had it. I disputed it with agent at check-in. She just shrugged. Month later I got an invoice for nearly $800. Now in dispute with company.

ripoff

from pheonix az

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

I reserved a rental car with payless from southwest airlines was given a price of $59.00 per day i needed it for 4 days. When we got to rent the car my husband had to use his credit card so we had to put it in his name so they redone the whole thing and im not paying attention because i thought everything as far as the price would be the same........not it ended up costing us $733.00 for 4 days. We needed to extend our stay for another 2 days so we called them ask how much for 2 more days they said $1000.00 we told them we could buy a car for that and leave it with a homeless person when we were ready to leave..We then turned the car in and walked over to Budget rent a car, what a total differnce got a SUV for days for $188.00 total price.

Rude, Dishonest and Heartless, too.

from Atlanta, Georgia

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Wow if only they had zero ratting! That's truly what I want to give. This is the first time I used them and it will be the last! When I went to pick up my reserved car In Atlanta it was not ready so they offered me a lower class style car for the same money. I said no. The man tells me to wait 20 mins and he would have something then. I go back and shifts were changing. There was a female at the desk. She said they had no cars except this economy car. She said besides when you reserve a car with us there are no guarantees that we will have any car for you. She was so rude and nasty going on and on that it was not her problem and telling me I can wait another hour or go to another car rental place.
So you know what I did I went to National. They were super kind, quick and honored me a similar price and car. In fact when I went to get the car they let me go to the lot and pick it out myself!
Goodbye Payless car rental and Hello National!

Never go " Payless Car Rental "

from Tampa ,FL

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

If you don't want to be foolishness. Don't choose this rental company . They're real scam and rogue. Always charge you more what ever you received confirm price!

Will NOT use them again

from Modesto, CA

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Will never rent from them again. Very poor customer service. Reserved a car through Travelocity. Picked up in Seattle. Refused the car insurance as I always do, as I have my own insurance. Was told to initial/sign in 3 spots, my mistake I didn't read the fine print. 4 days into the rental i realize my card had been charged much more than I was quoted on Travelocity. Called the rental company and was told the "optional roadside assistance" is added to all their rentals. (its not optional then is it?) When I explained I had AAA and roadside assistance through my insurance, she told me she would file a dispute with her supervisor. I assumed I should at least be refunded an amount prorated for the remainder of the rental period.
For the last 3 weeks I have tried to call the Seattle phone number as instructed, I am always asked to leave a message and the mail box is full no matter which extension I try. filled out the on line report twice with no response.
Today, I called the 800 number and was told that I would have had to return in person the the Seattle Airport in order to have anything changed on my contract and since I signed it, that is that! No apology for the fact that their employee did not ask me if I wanted the service or that another employee did not give me proper information to resolve the issue.
So, My car rental has not only cost me an extra $60 for roadside assistance, but another $20 in miscellaneous fees above what I was quoted. it's not even the $$, but the amount of time and frustration I've gone through from their total lack of customer service.

Review of Payless Cars

from Baltimore, Maryland (airport)

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

I am simply a frequent car renter. A family member and I happened to bump into this rental site after having difficulty finding a car with another rental company. I am glad we found it.

Beware of Payless Car Rental!!! Poor Customer Service

from Oakland, CA

HORRIBLE!!
Was over charged, said I didn't fill up the gas tank and I did. My flight was at 6am, I was told to leave the car at Avis with the keys on the dash since I would be dropping off before they were open. I did drop off at 4:30am and boarded my flight at 6am. When I disputed the charge they stated it was dropped off in the afternoon and the gas was not full. Sent copies of my boarding pass and a gas receipt dated the morning of my flight at 4:20am in Oakland one block away from the airport and still did not respond to my dispute. Sent several emails requesting a call, they never called. Stuck with the extra charges!!!

Payless car rental will charge you extra and treat you badly

from Reno, nv

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Primarily, I waited in line for 45 min to get my car. I denied the insurance they charged me it anyway. I told them there was only one driver, they charged me for two.

The advertisement said the car was at the airport but it wasn't, we had to take a shuttle for which they DID NOT provide a car seat. The guy (Nick of Reno, NV) suggested I go on the shuttle and bring back the car--to what? Leave my kids at the airport?

The car was muddy, the back seat was covered in sand, there was trash in the console, and an open bag of potato chips in the glove box. Renting a car seat cost more than buying a new one and their car seat was outdated.

It was then that I realized the receipt said $284, but they charged me $545. I brought the receipt to the front desk and the lady told me "to have faith" that they would reimburse at the end of our trip. I asked for a supervisor to void it out. Austin of Reno, NV said, as he POUNDED HIS HAND ON THE COUNTER AND RAISED HIS VOICE TO ME,

"Let me tell you for the fourth time since you didn't listen the first three times I said it. This is just how things are done here. We don't have another receipt showing the difference in what you were charged. No, I WONT void this out. You need to leave. If you don't like it here, don't rent here."

We budgeted for that vacation to Reno and Payless car rental took all our spending money and all my patience.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE FOLKS! DRUGS LEFT IN CAR!

from Omaha Nebraska

Comments about Payless Car Rental:

Don't waste your money with Payless Car rental. They have numerous hidden fees, billing add-ons, poor customer service. The first day I had the rental car I found drugs and a drug scale under my drivers seat. Three weeks after I returned the rental I got a letter in the mail stating they were charging my credit card $250 for cleaning pet hair from my car. Are you kidding me? I got charged for a few dog hairs but they miss the drugs and paraphernalia for the customer before me? They stated it would be $9 for each extra day. They don't mention they charge $10 late fee per day plus $20 taxes per day on top of that. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE FOLKS!