Other Acne & Blemish Treatments:
Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser

Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser

Made my skin worse

Comments about Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser:

Perhaps my experience with this product is in the minority, but I did not have a good experience with it.

I had some moderate acne that was not clearing up, so I decided to look for an acne product to treat it. I read many positive reviews about Wexler products and decided to give a few of them a try but was not satisfied with the results.

I do not have particularly sensitive skin, but this acne cleanser made my face red and more irritated than it already was. It also really dried out my skin, and the Wexler moisturizer did not help. After a little more than a week of no improvement to my skin (in fact it may have gotten worse), I stopped using the Wexler products. I ended up getting some Neutrogena acne products after which did help to improve me complexion, and after a few weeks, my face was clear again.

This exfoliating acne cleanser may work for others but it did not work for me, and I would not recommend it based on my experience.

• Ease of Application:
  • Convenience:
  • Side Effects:
  • Immediacy:

Not all that impressed

from Southfield, MI

Comments about Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser:

When I was a teenager it never occurred to me that I would still be fighting acne breakouts well into my thirties. Well, here I am approaching my mid-thirties and I'm still trying to find the best ways to stop my face from breaking out.
I had heard good things about Patricia Wexler's line of acne products and I decided to give the face wash a try.
To start with it doesn't smell very good. Now don't get me wrong, I don't need to want my face wash to smell like perfume or flowers, but I would like it to either have a fresh clean understated scent, or no scent at all. This face wash was none of those things. It so most smelled moldy to me. Not really what I wanted to be putting on my face.
But I gave it a try anyways. It didn't really get much better from there. I didn't see it clearing any of the issues I had going on when I started using it. I also didn't see it preventing any new breakouts from happening.
I finally gave up on this face wash and went back to Proactiv until I could find something that worked better. I've finally settled on an Olay wash that doesn't even claim to be for acne, but it works better for me than any acne product I've tried.

• Ease of Application:
  • Convenience:
  • Side Effects:
  • Immediacy:

I am loving this face wash!!

from Wrightstown, WI

Comments about Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser:

I am absolutely amazed at this product.  I have been using it for less than a week and already notice a huge difference.  I use it twice a day, morning and night.  It's not too harsh on the skin, but has enough exfoliation to know that it's cleaning deep.  I have tried everything and anything to clear up my skin so I'm hoping this continues to be the miracle for me.  The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because the price is a little steep and in my honest opinion I think it's so expensive because of the super fancy heavy-duty packaging.

Best facial scrub I've ever tried

from Hinton, VA

Comments about Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser:

I have tried a number of different Patricia Wexler products, and although they can be a little expensive and hard to find (only certain Bath & Bodyworks stores carry them), this cleanser is definitely worth seeking out.  It's by far the nicest scrub I've ever used.  It is very fine-grained, so you really feel the grains distributed evenly throughout the cream -- not just a lot of cream with a spare population of too-gritty beads.  You only need a small dollop to cover your entire face.  It smells very clean and mild.  I tend to use it 2-3 times per week and leave it on for about a minute to make sure the salycilic acid has had enough time to penetrate (I read about this technique elsewhere).  Using it more often would be too harsh for my skin, so the rest of the time I tend to use a gentle cream cleanser.  But this makes my skin feel clean and fresh.  Personally I think it's worth the price.

Gentle on skin, aggressive on acne

from Waldron, IN

Comments about Patricia Wexler M.D. Acnescription Exfoliating Acne Cleanser:

This is the first exfoliant I have ever tried that I can actually use EVERY DAY!!! And I've tried just about everything on the market, from Clinique to Estee Lauder to Neutrogena. They all left my face irritated and it took days for my face to recover. Most of them left me looking sunburned, and all I wanted was to get rid of the dead, scaly skin! I got married before Dr. Wexler started her skincare line, but I wish it had been around then.  I had to time using an exfoliant several days before the wedding so that my face would be clear and soft, and the makeup would look good, but stil giving my skin enough time to recover.  I leave my Acne cleanser in the shower and use it every morning.  Never in my life has my skin felt this soft!  The cleanser is effective at removing dead skin, but I never feel dry afterwards.  I use a few other Wexler products, and overall my face has less acne and is healthier.  even the redness from the few zits I do get aren't as bad! The first time my mom came to visit after I started using this product, she couldn't stop commenting how great my skin looks.