4.1
Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo

Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo

4.1

Best choice

**Sophie Says: ***I've heard a lot of things about Pantene Pro-V's shampoo and conditioners. A lot of hairstylists swear on their hair-dryers that it is awful for your hair. Supposedly, it coats your hair with plastic or wax to make it seem smooth, soft, and shiny, instead of really moisturizing your hair. It also reportedly makes your scalp itchy and hair fall out.*

*However, I've been using the Pantene Restoratives shampoo and conditioner for a few months now, and I find my hair less frizzy, more manageable, smoother, and softer. Of course, I also use John Frieda Anti-Frizz Serum and Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Frizz Control Ultra Smoothing Balm (I highly recommend the latter, just apply to wet hair).*

*Phew, that was long. So, my question is: Is Pantene good or bad for my hair?*

**The Right Brain Righteously Responds:**Sophie, please don't fall into the trap of believing everything your stylist tells you. (That's one of the The Beauty Brains Basic Beliefs.) While most stylists are very talented at cutting and styling hair, they're not very talented at interpreting cosmetic formulations.

The truth is, Pantene's shampoo and conditioner formulas are believed to be among the best in the industry by those of us in the cosmetic science side of the business. It makes sense if you think about it. P&G, makers of Pantene, have a HUGE research budget. Certainly larger than any salon company. That means they can afford to dedicate resources to developing and testing the best formulas possible. We've seen Pantene formulas beat the pants of salon products in blind consumer testing. (The products are hidden or blinded, not the consumers)

Why is Pantene vilified?

So why do stylists say that Pantene coats the hair with plastic, or make it fall out? Because that's what they're told by the sales representatives for the salon companies. And the truth is, it's just not true! Compare the ingredient lists for Pantene conditioner and any salon brand you can find.

Even though the names vary you'll see three basic types of ingredients: fatty alcohols (like cetyl and stearyl alcohol); conditioning ingredients (like stearamidopropylamine and quaternium-18) and silicones (like dimethicone and cyclomethicone.) There's nary a plastic to be found in Pantene. And no, it doesn't make your hair fall out either.

The Beauty Brains Bottom Line:

You can choose whatever you like - a retail brand like Pantene or a salon brand like Matrix. But shop around and find a product you like and make your own decisions based on your own experience. Don't pass on Pantene because of stylist anti-hype.

Not worth the extra money!

The restoration series from Pantene is a smaller quantity and slightly more expensive.  It is also not included in normal Pantene sales and coupon offers.  I have normal hair and can use most products without issue.  The shampoo never felt it was cleaning my hair, it always seemed dirty by mid-day.  The conditioner did not seem to condition and my hair was in knots when I came out of the shower.  For the additional bit of money and trouble I do not recommend this product!

Pantene Pro-V Restoratives shampoo

from San Bernardino, CA

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

Pantene Pro-V Restoratives shampoo is a wonderful shampoo to use. I had very bad damaged hair from split ends and from color treating my hair so much that my hair was in real bad shape. I had very thin hair and it was limp and falling out. I started to use the pantene pro-v shampoo and I couldn't believe how wonderful my hair looks after 6 weeks of using this product. My hair is very shiny and managable now. My split ends are gone. My hair feels and looks alot fuller. I would recommend that anyone that has problems with their hair to use this shampoo. I realize that pantene shampoos are alittle expensive but it is worth paying that extra money for this shampoo. As of today I still use pantene Pro-v restoratives shampoo from time to time. I am now using other pantene shampoos and conditioners and would not even consider trading it for some other shampoo. So Ladies and gentlemen, if you want some fine beauitful and healthy hair then start using pantene Pro-V Restoratives shampoo for at least 6 weeks and then you can use the other types of pantene shampoos and conditioners.

Works great

Has different scents.

Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo is not the best

from Lake Elmo, MN

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

I was a Pantene fan for many years. Their products were very conditioning and left my hair shiney and soft. The Pantene Pro-V line of Restoratives products is coming up short. Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo leaves my hair dry. My hair is bleached and I use an iron on it after drying. When I use Pantene Pro-V I have noticed that their conditioner by the same name is not enough to nourish my hair. I used up my first bottle and tried some of their other products for damaged hair and none of them do the trick. Pantene Pro-V Restoratives line is reasonably priced and coupons seem easy to come by for an even better value. If your hair is not very damaged this shampoo will work well. I gave it to my husband to use and he was fine with it. His hair is all natural and very thick. It cleaned well for him and didn't dry out his hair. The packaging is appealing and large enough quantity for value.

Dont waste your money

from Campbell, OH

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

I have been using the pantene product for many years. And by all means pantene has w0rked great on my oily and firzzy hair. But becasue my hair is prone to breakage, I decided to try the Restoratives Shampoo, hoping it would help rescue my hair from damage. But I really think that this did nothing to help my hair at all. I have used many different shampoos and this is one that reversed the progress on my hair. The first time I used it, my scalp didnt feel clean. So I washed it again. And again I felt the same way. Thinking that it was just a ticker shampoo for what it is supposed to do, I went and conditioned anyways. The conditior felt very thin, and almost as if it did nothing for me. So I added more, and I rined all of it out. When I got out the shower, my hair was in knots. NEVER has ANY shampoo done this to me before, no matter how bad or cheap it is. Im still am very surprised that I recieved results like this form Pantene. Kinda makes me sick, that shamppo was expensive and it didnt do anything for me. It was a waste of money.

Not worth the extra money!

from Farmington, IL

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

I am 53 and I use Pantene and my hair still looks young.

from Woodstock, GA

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

Pantene, has many different types of shampoos and conditioners. They also have a line of other hair options as well.  I really believe it do what they say it will they do.  I have used Pantene for years and I am 53 and my hair still looks young.  So I would recommend it to anyone, due to they offer so many types for any hair.

Best choice

from Charlotte, NC

*Phew, that was long. So, my question is: Is Pantene good or bad for my hair?*

Why is Pantene vilified?

The Beauty Brains Bottom Line:

Pantene Restoratives really does restore your hair!

from Summerfield, NC

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

Pantene Restoratives really does restore your hair! It is meant for people with damaged hair. This can be from not taking good care of your hair, coloring it, or a number of other reasons. I use this product because I color my often and find that it often gets dry and the color fades quickly. Although Pantene Restoratives did not help with the keeping my color longer, it did restore my hair and make it more soft and silky. The product never claimed to make my color last longer, so I did not find this to be a big problem. Pantene Restoratives did restore my hair to the state that it was in before I began frequent coloring. I now use it a few times a week, in addition to a shampoo that helps me keep my color. The combination of the two have really brought my hair back to a condition that I happy with. Pantene has always been a great shampoo and I would recoomend this product to anyone who needs a little help getting their hair back to normal!

Fabulous Feel!

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

The Pro-V Restoratives line is one of the best on the market. I tried this product because I love Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner. In fact, there has not been one Pantene Product that I have not like! I have tried so many, searching for a product that truly lives up to it's claim. These hair care products truly provide a luxurious feel. The price is higher than some, but definitely worth it for anyone wanting to pamper themselves with a great hair product. My hair felt softer and shinier after just one use. This product gives fabulous results immediately. Perfect for someone with medium to long hair. I would recommend these products to anyone who needs additional conditioning for their hair. Whether you live in a cold climate or hot humid climate, this product improves the look and feel of your hair. The scent is lovely as well - soft and unassuming. It truly makes your hair feel touchable!

A great addition to care products for frizzy hair

from Waxhaw, NC

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

I used to use lots of Pantene products, but I was lured away by John Frieda's Frizz-ease hair care line.  I like to try new things, in moderation, though.  While travelling I needed some shampoo, and found this handy tube of Restorative shampoo to avoid frizzing.  I've used it for about a month now.  So far, I've used it in humid weather and in dry weather, and it has been great.  I also use some frizz-ease products, with this shampoo.  Following a new cut and color I have especially appreciated the Restorative shampoo.  I think it is keeping my hair smoother.  I plan to use it for at least three month and see whether it could be my new year-round shampoo.  I am considering trying the accompanying Pantene Pro-V anti-frizz products as well, but it's hard to change everything all at once!  I'd prefer to try a little change at a time and see whether I am happy with the results I get. It surprises me that an old "friend" has provided me wth something new to try.

Since using this shampoo my hair has stopped falling out.

from Sevierville, TN

Comments about Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Shampoo:

**My hair was falling out and was very dry. I had a big bald spot in the back and I had to keep my hair really short, it wouldnt grow any way since it kept falling out.**

**I started using Pantene Restoratives when I found it on clearence at a store, bought it because of the price. After I started using it I noticed that my hair had stopped falling out, the bald spot was disappearing and my hair seemed much healthier and shinier. I decided to quit coloring my hair at this time due to the texture of my hair and the softness and decided to let my gray grow in.**

**I now have the healthiest hair, it isnt falling out, the ends arent breaking and my hair is soft and shiny again and I get more compliments on my hair then I have gotton since I was young, I am 66 years old and to have healhthy hair once again is wonderful. I have let it grow and it is now down to my shoulders, it hasnt been this long since I was young.**