View more cell phones

TXT8040VW
Pantech Jest Cell Phone

Pantech Jest Cell Phone

3.4

The best things in life are free

Okay, so here's the deal: I "bought" this phone because it was the one with the best reviews and it was free. It is not the best phone out there, nor does it have all the features. But it was what I needed when I needed it and that's enough for me. If you're a smartphone or Blackberry user, this probably would cut it. But coming from an LG chocolate, this was a MAJOR step up for me.

#1 most incredibly brilliant feature is the keyboard. My LG did not have one and texting took FOREVER. I love this keyboard- it's so easy to use, the keys are big enough ( I have large hands so this was a big concern for me). I figured out how to ue the keyboard pretty easily. The one drawback: it does not have a separate # keypad. This is normally no big deal, (the numbers are on the keyboard)  but the other day I had a situation where a phone menu asked me to dial letters for a name and it was a bit of a mess. The menu wouldn't accept my keyboard's letters and the numbers do not have abc def, etc on them so I had to figure it out in my head - not the easiest things to do.

I am still playing with my phone, so I have not tested all of the features yet. I have been using it for about 6 weeks now, and I like it. At least I don't hate it, because that would stink to hate it and be stuck with the thing for two years. But I've used the main features and I like it well enough so far.

The camera is not great, but I've had worse. The screen is very large, which is nice. Ringtones are dreadful, but that is the norm for a Verizon phone. The alarm is suffieciently annoying and wakes me up.... most of the time. The sound could be louder, but then it always could.

I have not played with the music feature, first because my old phone had it so it isn't exactly new to me, second because I hadn't gotten around to it yet, and third, because I can't find the driver to download. I don't know where my original paperwork, etc went and both the Pantech and Verizon websites do not have the driver for this model of phone. I found it one one outside website, but it triggered a virus warning so I gave up. This is almost the most frustrating thing about the phone. Almost.

#1 DIS-like: My reception is crappy where I live (in the country), but it is actually WORSE with this phone than with my two former phones (both LGs), which I didn't think was even possible. If it doesn't improve I may have to talk to Verizon about it (if I can call them without the call being dropped- lol).

I'm giving the phone a 4 because, for the price (free) it is a great phone. But it could definitely be better. I just wish Verizon would offer more decent phones to people who do not have/want a data package. It's probably only a 3 compared to all the super, blinged-out models out there, but I'm not in the market for those. For a cheap (free!) ohone, it's  great one.

Worst Phone EVER!

When my husband needed a new phone, but we were short on cash, this phone was offered through the Verizon website for free. It looked like it had everything he needed. We finally got it and of course...it was just OK. It served its purpose. About 33 days after receiving the phone, we noticed that the charge was complete, but the phone would only be on or be used while being plugged into the wall.

What good is a CELL phone if you have stay contected to the wall?? So, we call the company, they tell us the ONLY way to check the phone and get a replacement is to go to OUR local verizon store, which JUST so happens to be about 70 miles away! I don't have time for that stuff! SO, we get a new phone, same thing happens, get a new battery, same thing, get ANOTHER new phone, same thing, again another battery, again..the same thing!!

SO, after about a month of this, we FINALLY got a new batter, phone, and charger. Everything worked out just fine...unitl 3 weeks later... it HAPPENED again! So, we called and called. They tell us there is nothing they could do, it was past the 30 day period, that they can send a replacement phone of the exact same! NO THANK YOU! I basically had to threaten to go else where for them to give a NEW phone that was not this JUNK!! I would not recommend this phone to my dying enemy!!

Okay phone...well it was free. So yeah.

from Mona, UT

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

For free this phone works well and has been trusty for the past two years. Hate the central round thing to operate this dang thing. Way testy, not sensitive to your finger and will not move half of the time. Which makes using it a pain in the butt. What I love is the keypad. LOVE it so much! Overall hate this phone, but it is ok for being free.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Great Cell Phone

from Orange, TX

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

I have owned several brands of cell phones and my new Pantech Jest has been the best so far. I love the features and is so easy to operate. The sound and display quality is top notch. I have not had any problems so far and will stick with this phone for as long as possible. The battery life is pretty good too. I would recommend this phone for anyone wanting a reliable phone.

Pantech Jest is a nice, user friendly phone

from Norman, OK

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

I recently got the Pantech Jest when it was time for my contract to renew. So far, I have really enjoyed having this phone.

It is very easy to slide the phone open, create shortcuts so you don't have to slide it open to access the things you use most, use the buttons (despite how small they are), and even cradle the phone on your shoulder while speaking to someone (compared to other cell phones). It is about the size of a deck of cards and fits nicely in a purse or back pocket. The camera also seems to be of a fairly decent quality for a phone camera.

My main complaints are the OK key which you have to slide to scroll...I still haven't gotten used to it and get frustrated with it. I'm used to buttons that you press in the direction you want to go instead of sliding and don't feel like this is very effective. I also have trouble hearing certain tones; especially lower voices which I think is because of the speaker.

I do not use my phone to access the internet or even text, but really like the keyboard.

Jest skip this crappy phone

from Oceanside, CA

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

Bad phone received phone set it up charged it next day used it 4 times then it shut off and would not get past boot screen would just freeze at black screen, returned got another Jest good for 2 weeks then same problem, another replacement this one just randomly dials my contacts at weird times one time at 3:12 am another time a 8 am another time while at work phone LOCKED in a drawer and many other times *NOTE nothing was even close to touching any keys*. Replaced this one doing ok for now but I do not like that to lock the phone with code you have to  press OK to get menu, go right 2 times, then down 6 times press OK go down 6 times press OK enter your lock code, go down 3 times press OK now your phone is locked. NO way to set lock to a shortcut. YES you really need to do 22 steps INCLUDING ENTERING YOUR LOCK CODE to lock the phone! Key guard works whenever it wants sometimes you press a key and it says press ok to unlock key guard other times it just does what the key is suppose to do.

Pantech jest

from Mountain Top, PA

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

this is a realy good phone if you are new with cell phones and want to start texting.  the qwerty keyboard is a nice feature to help you txt faster.  since its not a multimedia phone you wont get many downloads but you save many pic, vids, and music as well.

Don't bother!

from Cedar Rapids, IA

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

I really like the idea of this phone--small and compact, large display screen,slide out key board.  There are some of us who just don't need a smart phone-so this was a great option for myself---or so I thought.  Apparently for Verizon customers this is an ONLINE only phone, so taking in the store to have my info transfered to the JEST they had no clue what or how to do this....Needless to say that alone made me unhappy.  I had bunches of pictures and contacts on my old Motorola Razor......Ok, so I'll give this JEST a whirl...not even 2 months into the phone and it fails to work--I have a complete blank display, it won't even shut on or off....Verizon sends a replacement JEST and 2 days of the new JEST it also failed.  It just simply dies--full battery charge, new phone new battery--it just dies.  I won't ever get the PANTECH phones again.  I wound up with the LG and it is working like a champ!  After reading multiple reviews, seems there are issues with the JEST.  Don't waste your time getting this phone.

JEST ABOUT RIGHT!

from New York, NY

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

Since I am currently on the Verizon Wireless plan and I had to upgrade my phone, I wanted a phone that did not have the data package fees. For me, I didn't want a smart-phone but I didn't want a simple and dull phone. I was looking at the Pantech Jest because

A) It was free if I signed up for a two year plan

B) It reminded me of a blackberry (i call it a kids verizon of a blackberry)

Anyway, I decided to purchase this phone and there are several things that I took notice.

1) The button that navigates the phone is not the standard press up, left, right, down. Instead if you want to go down, you will have to swipe, that it start from the top and swipe your finger down to go to the next option. It was weird at first, but I guess I got use to it.

2) The keypad on the phone is pretty small. So there is at times where I have a hard time texting to my friends because I will press two letteres at once instead of one. For those who have huge hands, I would not recommend it to you guys.

3)Screen can be easily scratched. I had to buy a screen protector for the phone just to keep it from scratching the screen.

Overall, the phone is decent and I don't have no problems with it. It just needs a little getting use to.

Pantech Jest fantastic for texting

from Hales Corners, WI

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

The Pantech Jest is an all-around great cell phone to have. It's small, but has a very vivid, big screen, and slide-out qwerty keyboard. Texts are automatically put in folders based on who they're from/to, which is really nice because then it's more like e-mail and you have the whole conversation in front of you. The middle button isn't your typical down, up, and side arrows--instead, you slide your finger across and up and down it to scroll and navigate the phone. There are also two soft-touch buttons on the right and left sides right below the screen. These vibrate to the touch. Sometimes the scroll button isn't as responsive as I'd like it to be, but it's definitely tolerable. The battery life is great. Can go about a week without charging, depending on how often it's used. If you buy this phone through Verizon with a contract, it should be free, and no data package required! Which I think is a huge plus. I would definitely recommend this phone.

Pantech Jest Phone is awesome!

from Salem, OR

Pros

Cons

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

I read several reviews on this phone before I bought it, some were good and lots were not so good but I am very glad I got it anyways. I wanted a full qwerty keyboard and a camera and needed a phone that could send picture and video messages but did not want to pay for a data package. I love how easy this phone is to use and all the great features it has. I also love the camera, it takes great pictures. I love to accessorize my phone and I love that you can get the snap on covers for this phone, and there are so many different designs of cases. I like that that it is a slide phone so none of the keys can get pushed when its in your pocket or purse, and how once its shut it locks automatically. I also love how it shows the text messages that you send and receive in one place. I also love the large screen it has. I have downloaded several ring-tones on this phone and so far they have all sounded fine and not to scratchy or distorted. I have had so many phone, I like to change my phone a lot, but so far this has been my favorite one.

Love my Pantech Jest for a basic phone & lots more!

from Mocksville, NC

Comments about Pantech Jest Cell Phone:

I am a stay at home mom right now, don't need the bells and whistles and we are on a tight budget, so when it was time to look at a new phone, I didn't want the data or other type of plans, just the basic phone, thank you very much!  But....spelling in the names for my phone book was very tedious and returning the one or two text messages per week I did get, well, a pain!

I passed on all phone choices, the first time I looked, and decided to stay with my current one.  Then I looked a few months later and saw the Pantech Jest.  Could it be?  A cool looking phone with a qwerty board and no required data plan?  I jumped on it!  It has fairly good reception and I live it a place where NO phone works. I feel like I am with it - without paying a hefty price!  Free phone with a new contract.

I can't speak to the music as I don't have time for all that - sorry!

So, any drawbacks?  A few.  Keyboard is little, but has everything- so I love it!  It's doable for the small amount that I use it.

The camera is not perfect like my hubby's blackberry, so what, I have a great Cannon PowerShot for that.

The biggest problem I have is that when I dial a number that has a 'respond by pressing 1 or 2', it makes you press ''ok' to unlock the keyboard, and sometimes, it gets a bit weird and won't let me unlock the keyboard - Here's an example, you call someone and they have a voicemail - you leave a message and you want to erase and rerecord - it won't let you press a key without pressing 'ok' first to unlock the keypad, then for some reason, it still won't unlock the keypad so you can't erase and rerecord...so you might just have to forget it and move on, which can be bad, if you said something poorly that you wish you could erase and say over again...

All in all - I love the phone!