Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:

Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener

Pros

Cons

Great - when it works

I have hosted a number of Pampered Chef parties over the years and this was one item that I delayed buying merely for the fact that we owned a manual can opener that worked perfectly fine. After a couple years, I finally gave into my husband's request to buy one.

The can opener takes a little getting used to. Instead of attaching vertically, you put the can opener onto the can horizontally. The crank turns easily and gently, but like other reviewers, I have had some difficulty with the function of the opener. Despite going around the entire can (sometimes several times), only a portion of the lid is actually separated.

When completely opened, the lid edges are smooth reducing worries about getting cut. I have never had the need, but another bonus of this opener is that the lid can be reused to store any unused food.

If you already own a can opener that works, you do not need to go out and purchase this product. However, if you are in the market for a can opener, this is one worth considering.

If you have found this review helpful, let me know with a "thumbs up!"

Pampered Chef can opener great, but doesn't last long enough

I love love loved my Pampered Chef smooth edge can opener, until it stopped working.  It seemed like over a couple of months now it wont cut through cans.  At first I thought I had some bad cans, but it has become every can.  I would have to go over each can two or three times, and even then I sometimes have to get my trusty back up regular old can opener.  I absolutely love almost every Pampered Chef item I have purchased (with the exception of the cookie press - BAD!) and highly recommend them.  I have had this for probably three to four years, so it is out of warrenty.  Maybe I open too many cans, or damaged it some how, but I do miss my smooth edge.  Even with the trouble, I would definitely purchase this can opener again.  While it did work, I didn't worry about any rough edges, cut fingers, ripped trash bags or hurt puppy tongues.  So even though I don't feel it lasted long enough, I would recommend it!

Lifesaver In The Kitchen!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

You wouldn't think that a can opener would be that different from one to another but this is the best of the best.

I know it seems strange, but for those of us who recycle cans and have to wash out cans before placing them in the recycling bin, this is a lifesaver. There are no sharp edges to slice your fingers on while washing! It's amazing!

It takes a bit of getting used to when first using this as it goes on top of the can, parallel to the can, not perpendicular like most can openers. And it doesn't make that familiar popping sound as the blade bites into the metal as this is cutting from the side. You just pop the opener on, twist it until the entire circumference has been cut, and then remove the lid with the little grabber tool on the side. And you are left with a perfectly smooth edge!

This has truly been a lifesaver in my kitchen and I have given many as gifts. Despite the doubtful looks upon receipt most of the people I've given them to have really liked them.

The best can opener in the world.

from Mount Airy, MD

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

I've been using my Pampered Chef Can Opener for 12+ years, and I've just ordered a replacement because I finally wore it out. I use the can opener daily in my kitchen and often use it to open industrial (or warehouse club sized) cans which are thicker than standard cans, and harder on an opener. I love the fact that the cans have no sharp edges when they have been opened. This makes it possible for kids to use the cans in craft projects with no threat of being cut!

It is rarely necessary to clean the can opener as it rarely touches food. However, it can be tossed into the dishwasher when it is needed.

Mine has seen 12+ years of use, including opening heavy-duty cans and has just now worn out. I've ordered a replacement and can't wait for it to get here.

Once you learn how to properly position the can opener on a can, it is super easy to use. Just be sure to teach the babysitter how to use it before leaving home or you might have to interrupt your date to run home and open cans so that she can feed your children.

Easy to use

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

Some non-electric can openers can be hard to use, especially if you have arthritis. I bought this can opener because I was told it is super easy to use, and it is so true. It opens cans without having to struggle and it cuts then nice and cleanly. There are very few jagged edges, so it is safe too. Very pleased with my Pampered Chef can opener.

Replaced Kitchen Aid can opener

from Troy, OH

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

This is a pretty good can opener. I'ts easy to use and safe for kids. It does take some practice to get used to, but I found that once I learned how to use it, it was easier than my electric Kitchen Aid can opener to use. It cuts differently so that you don't cut yourself on the lids. But once you open the can, the lids doesn't fit back down inside of it. It doesnt' work on every type of can either. I found that I had a very hard time opening some Swanson canned chicken yesterday. Other than that, it's a breeze and very handy. You don't have to plug it in and the thing hasn't broken yet! I've gone through a lot of can openers and this one has been the most durable. I still keep my electric can opener on hand as a back up. But for the most part I only use this one by pampered chef. The cost is a little high, but with all pampered chef products, you really are paying for good quality products to last a lifetime.

Worth the splurge

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

Ok, so this can opener is the root of the number one kitchen argument between my husband and I. Joking arguments, of course, but still.... I am totally, completely, hopelessly in love with this miraculous little kitchen tool, while my husband argues that "it's doesn't drain the tuna can." That's his argument. Tuna. Ironically, we rarely eat tuna, and when we do... guess who's making it. Yeah. ME! And that is why I always win. :) Anyway.... This can opener is so much easier to use than any others I've ever tried. The handle always turns smoothly and the cut is around the side so there are no sharp edges on the lid. This is a great safety feature for households with children. Or for clumsy people! It also keeps the lid from falling down into the can once you've cut all around the edges. You know what that's like I'm sure. You open a can and end up digging out the lid with a fork or knife. Who has time for that?

Great Quality

from Whitehouse, TX

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

I have had several can openers in the last 5 years. Everything from electric to manual and the Pampered Chef can opener is the only one that has not broken on me and it has shown it is made with good quality. At first I thought since this is a manuel can opener it wouldn't be as good but it's just as great as an electrical. It is smooth, easy to use, doesn't take much strength to use and the best part of it is it has a gripper to take off the lid of the can. A friend of mine, before using the pampered chef can opener, accidently sliced her finger while trying to take the lid off. I never had the problem but maybe I was just lucky. Some might have a problem with the price being too high but after going through about 4 can openers, I basically spent the same if not more. So save yourself the money and just spend it on this good quality can opener that you will not have to replace as often as the others.

Great - when it works

from Suburban, NY

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

If you have found this review helpful, let me know with a "thumbs up!"

We love this item! No more sharp edges!!

from Barbourville, KY

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

This is a great product.  I have owned mine for 4 years and it still works great.  No sharp edges to get cut on.  Works every time we use it.  Best of all, you can reuse the lid on most cans because of the way that it cuts it.  Great for use on pet food cans in case you are not using all of the contents at once...you can save the remaining contents for later by replacing the lid onto the top of the can.  Also great for teenagers and kids to use since it takes away the danger of getting cut.  Very durable and well made.

I love this idea!

from Richfield, WI

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

I love this product!  I have not cut myself on a can since using this opener.  My 8 year can use it without any problems as well, and because of the clean edge, I don't mind letting her help.  The other thing I like is that you don't have to grip it super tight like it will jump out of your hand any minute, in order for it to work.  There is even a little metal piece on the side for lifting the can lid once you have opened it.

Why didn't we think of this sooner?

from Elmira, NY

Comments about Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener:

I found this can opener at a church rummage sale, didn't know what it was. They demonstrated , let me try it, and now I use nothing else to open my cans.It's like magic. The opener cuts the lid at the very top of the lip of the can. Both the lid and the can come out with perfectly smooth edges. I don't worry about picking up the lid or cutting my hand when swishing out the can. I highly recommend this Pampered Chef can opener.