3.2
Palmolive
Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap

Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap

3.2

Pros

• Easy to use (4)

• Cleaning (6)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cleaner (5), Meticulous cleaner (5)

Palmolive is and always has been the best!!

Palmolive is my tried and true kitchen favorite. Not only does it out-perform all the other dish-liquid brands, but its a brand I remember growing up with. My grandfather always had a bottle of good old green Palmolive on his sink at the farm house. Even to this day, when I wash dishes, I can remember that distinct green fragrance and it reminds me of home!

Palmolive is great at cutting grease. It makes my load of dishes clean up faster and easier than the other brands. We have hard water at home and its frustrating when we have to use so much liquid of the other brands just to get enough suds in the water. But Palmolive needs little to get even a big job done. It works great at breaking up stuck-on foods - so I have to do less hard scrubbing! Plus its gentle on my hands. With some of the other brands, my hands feel stiff, dry and tight after washing. But Palmolive leaves my skin soft without drying it out.

I also like the Palmolive is usually competitively priced at the store. Its not the cheapest brand, but when you consider how much of the cheap stuff you have to use to equal Palmolive, it probably ends up costing less in the long run.

Yucky New "Original" Scent!

I'm in my forties and had always loved the scent of Palmolive soap. My sweet Mama bought it for washing dishes (of course), but I also grew up around "old school" folks who washed their hair with it. Several years ago I rediscovered this green elixir with that wonderful classic scent, and have been faithfully and regularly purchasing it since. But now, for some inexplicable reason, the scent has been changed! I bought a big jug the other day and, SURPRISE! New stinky scent! "Sickly sweet" is what also came to my mind, in addition to vaguely fruity. Why does it seem that every product with a fragrance (whether it's shampoo, body soap, or cleansers for household use, or even air fresheners and newer perfumes and colognes) all have this same icky, cliche, sweet fruity fragrance? Do these people think that everyone who buys these products is a 13 year old girl who wants everything to smell like candy? And the scents of other classic products, like Pine Sol, have also been ruined. It seems nothing is safe. Fragrance is heavily associated with memories and mood. Apparently the brains at Palmolive don't share this sentimental view. Too bad. Now I'll have to shop around for another dish soap that doesn't smell like puke on a school bus. And that won't be easy.

What happened to the original scent!!!

from Princeton Ky

About Me Meticulous Cleaner

Pros

• Easy to Use

• Home

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

What happened to the orginal scent of palmolive!! Growing up my mom used this and i loved the scent. Recently i bought a bottle and noticed the scent has changed! It has a strong fruity undertone (or should say overtone!). I seriously would have rated this 5+ stars if they had kept that original smell. Stinks now!

Stopped purchasing since scent was changed

from Lakehurst, NJ

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

It's not the best dishwashing liquid on the shelf. What sold this product was it's scent!!! I have bought it my whole life based solely on that, and as silly as it might sound, I feel deeply saddened that I may never smell that scent ever again. Don't underestimate how memories can become interlocked with certain scents. Please bring original back and you'll win back faithful consumers.

New fragrance smells like a public toilet

from Germany

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

Palmolive, the new fragrance in the dishwashing liquid is disgusting. Have been using this product for years, but the new fragrance is very unpleasant. You changed, perhaps now it's time for me to do the same. Shame, always liked the freshness of the small of your 'original' product. New scent maybe, improved - I think NOT.

Hate the new smell

from South Carolina

About Me Casual Cleaner

Pros

• Easy to Use
    • Efficient
    • Powerful

Cons

• What happened to the nice clean smell?

• Washing dishes, pots and pans

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

Have always loved Palomive original dish detergent but why did you change the smell of it? Please Please bring back original nice clean smell!!!!!

The new scent is disappointing

from Jersey City,NJ

About Me Meticulous Cleaner

Pros

• Easy to Use

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

I've always used Palmolive dish detergent for years but to my displeasure they changed the scent.At first they had the new scent and some of the original scent left but now all I find is the new scent. It's the same no matter what store I go to. The old scent was so clean and nostalgic from years ago.This new scent is a clone to all the other sweet scents out there.What is the matter with these people.Don't they know a winning formula when they see it. I bought a bottle by mistake and now I'm stuck with it.But this will be the last time I will buy this product. From now on I only buy lemon or orange scents.It's a shame because Palmolive was like the only one who kept the same scent from years ago and now they had to go and change it.Bad move.This new scent is too fruity and sweet. I miss the old detergents from many years ago like Gentle Fels which they don't make anymore.That also had a delightful scent.Almost herbal. Years ago Ivory liquid had a nice clean soft scent just like the Ivory bar soap and they changed that too. Palmolive was the last of the originals.I don't know what these people were thinking but the only way I'll buy Palmolive again is if they go back to the original scent. Awful!

Why, why, why did they change the scent?

from Norfolk, VA

About Me Casual Cleaner

Pros

• Easy to Use

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

I am 52 years old. As a little girl, my grandmother washed her dishes with Palmolive. I have always LOVED the smell. It was relaxing. I didn't mind washing dishes. Now, it smells sickeningly sweet. I will never buy this again. Palmolive, why did you change a good thing? So stupid.....

Yucky New "Original" Scent!

from Jacksonville, FL

About Me Professional Cleaner

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

Have to find another brand

from Toronto Canada

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

I've used this dishwashing soap for years. Suddenly they "SNEAK' another line under the banner that says original. Essential Clean is now on the label. There is nothing essential about the sickly sweet scent. The old formula smelled just fine. The new one lingers and you can now smell a sink full of dishes from the door of the kitchen.
          Now I have to find a new brand

Madge is rolling over in her grave

from Bakersfield, Ca

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

What happened to the scent of Palmolive? It's horrible! I'm changing brands.

Palmolive Original Scent is no longer the original scent!?!?

from Houston, Texas

Pros

Cons

• Original Scent no longer the scent we know & lov

• Home

Comments about Palmolive Original Dishwashing Soap:

I grew up with my mother always keeping a bottle of the Palmolive Original (Green) soap sitting there in the corner of our kitchen sink and I am now almost 40 and she still does so, but sadly this may change as Palmolive decided to fix something that wasn't broke (they changed the scent) & it now smells like all the other fly-by-night soaps. Even she is debating on changing brands, we are a family that doesn't like change and it takes a lot to provoke us to do so. I think she continues to buy it in hopes of popping the lid open on a new green container to find that nostalgic smell we all grew up with and learned to love..sadly I don't know how much longer she can take this new fruity smell.