View more smartphones

3.8

Pros

Cons

Love my Palm Centro

I am actually on my 2nd Palm Centro with Sprint. My husband bought my first one for me almost 2 years ago. At first I didn't want it becuase I thought it was way too much for me. I didn't think I needed all the features it has. WELL 2 years later and now on my second one (I broke the first one) and I can't go anywhere without it. I use it for everything, music, photos, schedules, notes, internet, phone book. . . the list goes on and on. My husband and I have our own lawn service so I need to be able to check email, weather, schedules and addresses all the time. The Centro allows me to do that and I still have my multimedia with me as well. I use to carry a phone, iPod, camera, phone book and date book with me all the time, now there's no need for that because I have it all in my phone. It's even comatible with my car sterio as well so I don't have to use CDs anymore.

The key board is small but from a females stand point it's perfect for my hands. The camera takes very nice pictures and the touch screen makes things fast and easy. The speaker is very loud, I keep mine turned down to level 3 and it's still loud. I really can't say enough good things about it. The biggest complaint I have heard from people is it's not a business phone, it's more of a multimedia phone. For me that's perfect!!!

This phone is inexpensive and has so much to offer. Give it a try. :)

Wish it had bigger keys

I am very big on text messaging.  I text more than talk. I bought the Centro Treo because I'm a busy mom and loved the scheduler of the Palm, and how compact and pink;) it was, but honestly It takes me 10 times longer to text someone. The keys are so tiny, there is no T9 option, and no voice dialing. I miss my old phone. The battery life also is a con. It always dies by the end of my day. My old phone would last for days.

Other than that it is perfect for internet surfers, and people who need to take their computer with them. I just wish it had bigger keys. It's a little to much for me technology wise. I probably don't even know what my phone is capable of. I'm just a simple kinda gal.

Reliable, simple, and feature packed

from ksa

About Me Social Networker, Student

Pros

• App Availablity
  • Battery Life
  • Camera
  • Easy To Customize
  • Operating System
  • WiFi

Cons

• Button Configuration
  • Web Browsing

• Camera

• Feels Sturdy
  • Usability:
  • Simple Enough
  • Media:
  • Easy To Download Media, Easy To Use Media Player, External Media Controls, Fast Streaming Media, Good Speaker Sound
  • Camera:
  • Camera Features, Easy To Use, Editing Tools, Good Quality, Video Recording

Practical and stylish

from Proctor, OK

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

I chose the Palm phone due to having a PDA and have loved this phone.  I simply beamed all my information from my Palm Pilot to my phone in a moment and was using my phone immediately.  I have my phone synced to my computer so I always have a back up and I keep my PDA updated as well so my husband can also always access our family and friends contact and special occasions information.  I keep my live organized using my Palm, my calendar and all my contact information all in one place.  I have only recently started to use my Palm to connect to the internet and it has been very helpful to keep my email at bay when I travel.  I got a skin when I had my first Centro and it has kept my phone from being damaged when I drop it.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Palm Centro is a good phone but has limitations

from Nashua, NH

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

Palm Centro is a nice, solid phone with some good features but a little dated considering the types of phones that are now on the market.  For everyday calls, it's fine.  The sound quality is good.  The speakerphone is easy to use.  Most of the basic features are intuitive and easy to use.  To me one of the biggest downsides of this phone is the web browsing.  The window is just too narrow to be able to view most websites and browsing is slow and tedious.  For email, I can't see enough of the subject line so instead of scanning through the subject lines of my email, I am forced to open up each email to see what it's about.  So even though my plan has unlimited data, I find that I only use it when I absolutely have to because it's so inconvenient.  The other big limitation for me is syncing with google calendar.  As far as I can tell, google doesn't sync with this phone making the calendar useless for me.  For this reason alone, I will probably upgrade to a different phone in the near future.  As I see how much more phones can do these days, the Palm Centro is looking more and more dated.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Decent phone

from Panama City, FL

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

I owned this phone for a year through Verizon. Before this phone I owned a mid-grade phone that was okay. I picked this phone because I didn't have to buy a data package to go with it and still had a lot of features that weren't available on most other cell phones. One thing that I didn't expect was how horrible the battery life was with it. My mom bought the same phone at the same time and she also had problems with the battery life, so I don't think it was a fluke. Also, I often didn't get my voicemails until a week or two later than when they were called in on my phone. My mom didn't have that problem, so maybe it was a coverage problem even though we live very close to one another. I liked the fact that it was touchscreen and easy to access everything. It came with a stylus, but I never used mine except while playing sodoku. The camera was decently quality and it took videos as well. Someone borrowed my phone and dropped it when I had about a month left in my contract rendering it basically useless since it was a touch screen.

I hate you, Centro.

from Rexburg, ID

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

Oh how I hated this phone!  It didn't do half the things it was supposed to. Maybe because I was trying to Hot Synch it with a Mac instead of a PC?

First, I couldn't activate it myself. They couldn't help me over the phone. A representative from Sprint actually came to my HOUSE and spent 20 minutes before she could get it to work.

Then it wouldn't Hot Synch.  After hours of internet research, I finally got it figured out... it was a big hassle that involved creating an additional user... and even then, it wouldn't do the auto updates like it was supposed to.

The phone has a touch screen, and it was always dialing people on accident.  The touch screen seemed like an after-thought... you have to use this bitty stylus, but you can also get to everything by using the keys.  Touch screen wasn't intuitive or useful.

It has a QWERTY keyboard, but the letters are seriously tiny... even though I have small hands, it was still hard to use.

And then, 13 months after I purchased it, it went into an endless Hot Synch, where I couldn't get off the screen where it was trying to connect to my computer.  I looked online and this appears to happen quite often.  Tried a soft reset. Tried a hard reset.  No go.  Had to buy a new phone... but I'm glad I did, because I'm so happy to be rid of this one!

Don't buy this phone

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

I purchased the Palm Centro from Sprint in December 2009. Initially I purchased the phone because I wanted the touch screen features. The phone & plan I have comes with a great deal of extras, Sprint TV, unlimited mobile to mobile calling, unlimited text messages, instant messaging, sprint radio, unlimited picture mail, GPS Navigation, Data Pack etc. The cost that I ended up paying on the phone after all the rewards was a nice bonus too. However, I was not prepared for the downshide of what I felt was going to be a great phone. I find myself on several occasions in the middle of important phone calls, in the middle of a text message, or trying to get directions & the phone would automatically shut off. Therefore, causing me to lose my call or having to pull over to reenter the information for the directions that I was needing. I initially thought that maybe it would only happen that one time, but it seems that everyday it is happening more & more frequently. The features on the phone are great, but if you're like me & you rely on your cell phone because you don't have a house phone, that inconvenience could do a lot of damage. I even took the phone in to a local Sprint store to get them to check & see why the phone automatically shuts off. To my surprise, we're not sure why it shuts off & on by iitself. (Note: Not really shocked). I am at the point that as soon as I am able to upgrade my phone I will be doing so. Right now I am strongly considering the Sprint EVO. So if you are considering the Palm Centro from Sprint - don't, unless you are one that it doesn't matter that the phone has a tendecy to shut off & on. If it sounds to good to be true, usually it is, so for me my next purchase, if i have to pay a bit more to get better quality I will.

Its the best phone you'll ever have - just don't get it wet!

from Nesbit, MS

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

The Palm Centro was the best phone I ever had and I only ever had two problems with it. It has a good keyboard for texting, although the buttons are a tad small if you have big fingers. The touch screen works great and I never had any problems with it. There are plenty of cases for the phone to buy if you're a klutz and you drop it a lot.

There is a great variety of apps that you can put on the phone including alarm clocks, games, and much more. Be careful what apps you put on it, though, because some of them will cause it to crash randomly. I recommend getting some type of alarm clock app if you use your cellphone as an alarm clock because you can only set one alarm on the Palm Centro at a time and you have to turn it back on every night.

Now, for the only problem I ever had with the Palm Centro: I got it wet. The first time it happened, it dried out and fixed itself. How do you know if it has water in it? It continuously tries to hot sync over and over and over and there is no way to stop it. The first time I got it wet, my hand was wet and it touched where you charge the phone and immediately messed up. The second time it got wet, I left it on the table outside while I was  moving the sprinkler. When I came back to it, it was trying to hot sync continuously again but there was no sign of water on it at all. This just goes to show how minuet the drop of water can be to mess up a palm.

Get the phone and keep it away from water!!!!

My little wonder

from Falls Church, VA

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

Great cellphone, I had it for 2 years and it never broke nor had any software issues. I loved that the screen was tactile, but the one that you actually need to press instead of sliding your fingers over it, that is because it allowed me more control over what I wanted to touch and open. The keyboard is on the small side and the type of material the buttons are made of can easily be marked (for example: by nails), however you can get used to it If you have small (or delicate) hands (so for most guys this is really a showstopper). The reception is great, and the size is very versatile: not too small nor too big. The screen is a little bit small for my taste but there is nothing else they could do to make it bigger so it’s fine. The downside of it is that it doesn’t connect to any app market, so you are stuck with the apps that come by default. The great thing is that it has web capability, so you do are connected to the cloud and can browse most sites from your phone. The camera that comes is fine, the picture quality is ok. The sound is also fine and a great feature it has is that you can store music on the MicroSD  card and listed to it using your phone, so it functions as an mp3 player as well.

Avoid at all costs

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

My Palm Centro had trouble from the beginning and I don't even use the data package that is possible with the phone.  The best part of the phone is the message organization which keeps a message history for each person.  Other then that, the phone constantly drops calls, goes slient when the screen switches off, and numerous other issues.  I cannot wait to switch to a new phone.

Outstanding Smartphone

from Brooksville, FL

Comments about Palm Smartphone:

The Palm Centro is a one of a kind smartphone that is often looked over by shoppers and reviewers. Truly, however, it is the most dependable phone that I have had, and it has all sorts of special features. Services included are mobile email, mobile television, access to AOL, Yahoo, and MSN instant messengers, a data center for all things business, a unique calendar, organizer, web browser and much more. The phone itself has a qwerty keyboard, as well as an on screen dialer, as the phone is a touchscreen. And the best part is that it is not required by your provider to purchase one of those pricey smartphone plans that so many people hate. So next time you are looking for a new cell phone, look into this, it will be worth the time.