View more smartphones

Palm Pre Smartphone

Pros

Cons

Palm Pre is a Hit

I have been a Palm user since 1996 with the Palm Pilot. Since then, I've had numerous Palm devices. My last one was a Treo 755p on Verizon. I was so excited about the Palm Pre that I bought it on launch day. So far, it has been amazing. I love that you can have multiple apps open and go between them with swipes of your fingers. The form factor is brilliant. You can easily put this in your pocket. It has location services which works great with several apps. For instance, the Where app will detect where you are and offer your theater and restaurant info for that area. It syncs nicely with Gmail and GContacts. I don't use Outlook so I'm not sure about that - I tried Outlook but it is just too dog slow for me. I am looking forward to the plethora of apps that will be coming out soon. All the Palm developers will be moving onto this platform - and let me tell you that there were thousands and thousands of apps for PalmOS. The camera is 3MP and quite good. There is no video right now, but I'm sure it will come (it just came out for the iphone which design is several years old). And yes, I tried an iPhone - but I just can't get the hang of typing on that "keyboard". When you push up on the Pre, a QWERTY keyboard slides out. The keyboard is similar to the Treo - I can type quite well on it. So overall, I'd say Palm has a winner on its hands.

I like the Palm Pre phone, but I don't love it.

It's hard for me to believe I actually have a Palm Pre now. I usually have a cell phone that is a "generation" behind the times. But I have one and it is a wonderful little phone that does so much.The phone is compact (smaller than the I-Phone) and comes with a thick felt pouch. This cell phone has a large touch screen and gesture area. There is a speaker on the back of the phone and a smaller one on the front. the headset jack is on the top.Charging: I charged my Palm Pre for two hours last night until it was fully charged. By noon today (the next day) it was already down to 48% remaining charge. I have to charge it up each day without fail. The car charger is super slow, so I've decided not to even try that anymore.Simply tap an icon to open an application. There are three screens of applications and these are accessed by a sweeping gesture of your fingertip. It is really nice to be able to open and move among multiple applications at the same time. All you have to do is touch the center button to shrink the application you are currently in. When you're done with an application, just brush it away, off the top of the phone with another sweep of your fingertip. Sometimes I have noticed that the sweeping gesture doesn't seem to work as well as it should and it takes more than a few sweeping gestures, which is a bit frustrating. (I suppose it could be me just getting used to it though.)There are lots of things I like about this phone and a few I do not. I have been an AT&T customer for some years. This is a Sprint phone. I've noticed a marked increase in dropped calls and also the coverage is not as good in my area as with AT&T. For example, I will be inside buildings, such as my kitchen, and will have one bar on the phone. I even had to go outside to talk to my parents one night because they couldn't hear me at all.Of course, going to websites, checking email, etc., is all very handy with the Palm Pre. Also, wonderful to be able to use the GPS device which actually talks to you.The phone is also quite sensitive or "touchy". I have called people by mistake simply because I've brushed the screen. I definitely recommend setting the lock when the phone is not in use.If you add an email to a contact for a person on your phone list and that person changes their email or phone number, the system will automatically update for you without you having to manually go in and change it.

All in all, this is a wonderful phone and is compact. The phone itself curves slightly as your face curves, so it's easy to talk on. I stilll have a lot to learn about this new phone and hope to make good use of all that it has to offer...

Gets buggy after a few years

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

I really loved this phone when I got it two and a half years ago and I still love the design; however, it's gotten progressively buggier as it's gotten older. My notification bar at the bottom has flashed as brightly as it's supposed to maybe twice while I've had it. It used to do a faint flash but after a few months stopped doing even that. The keyboard started going on the fritz occasionally, just repeating the same letter or a space for lines and lines. Sometimes hitting backspace would make it stop. Sometimes I had to just shut down my phone (which is a very long process, as is start-up). Lately it's taken to either not typing a letter when I hit the key or double typing it. It also wouldn't open very many PDF and Word docs. I could never figure out why it was okay with some and not others (size didn't seem to be the issue). The camera is okay but not spectacular. I like the mail set-up and the internet pages tab.

The phone itself is very durable, which is good because the shape is not very good. At first it looks very pretty until you realize that the rounded and smooth edges make it very difficult to grip and you find yourself dropping it all the time. Mine has a few nicks here and there but has never had any problems after taking a spill.

Palm may have made improvements since mine was manufactured; however, I think I'll be switching to another phone until I'm sure they've worked out their bugs.

Battery Life
The battery will not last you if you do a lot of things, as is expected; however, it also overheats, sometimes from very simple tasks. Mine has suddenly started draining itself after five hours, without any activity on my part, when it used to last the entire day.

Display/Screen Quality
Very clear.

Call Quality
Haven't had any problems that I think were specific to the phone.

Very easy to navigate.

Mine has taken a number of spills and only has a few nicks.

I love the layout of everything.

Palm Pre Plus with AT&T is my first smart phone

from Springfield, OH

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

I did much research and decided with the reviews I read to select this to be my first smartphone. I so far have truly enjoyed it. I had a little issue when I downloaded an app for facebook from the palm app store, it caused me to lose my easy connect to data. But once I figured to go back to the last thing that I placed on it, I removed it and have had no more issues with my data connection. Sad that I was not able to keep the app I liked its features compared to one already that was on phone. I would recommend. I love the hideaway qwerty keyboard. I like the size. I am glad this was available and the price was a true decision maker, FREE. I just hope it lasts for the whole contract.

• Call Quality:

Palm Pre is the Best Smartphone on the Market, hands down!!!

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

The Palm Pre...  It isn't the Pre packaging that sold me on this phone it was the WebOS.  WebOS is the best operating system out there right now!  It's ability to multitask has no compitation, you can be typing an email when someone txts you where you can simply see a preview of what they say and ignore or touch the notification and go to it, which opens another "card", then you can "swipe" back and forth between the two if you like or need info from the email for the txt or vice versa...  All the while you have been listening to Pandora streaming your music in the background maybe you prefer to use the mp3 player to listen to your own mp3, that works in the backgound as well.

Maybe you are on the road traveling for work or pleasure...  Again your music is playing in the background but you also have Sprint Navigation directing you to your destination, when she needs to alert you to a turn the music dims and the navigation is clearly heard after the direction the music comes back up to your volume and you never had to do anything, I also like to have "trapster" running so that it can alert me to potential places for cops to hide, live police, traffic cameras, etc.

Really the possibilities are endless with this phone and operating system.  You have to use one to believe the greatness of this phone.

The Pre design does have some flaws itself but that is just a cheaply made handset, but good news Sprint is great about replacing the handset when something goes wrong!  They have never given me any problem when I needed to get a replacement!

All in all you will love this phone...  If you want to Love it even more look at www.precentral.net an awesome community of "Homebrewers" that have done some AMAZING thigs with WebOS!

Love It- Mostly

from Temecula, CA

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

I was so excited to get my Palm Pre. I had a Palm Centro Smartphone and I loved it, but it was time to upgrade and I stuck with Palm. My old phone was heavy (like a brick!) and the camera was very low quality. So, I noticed right away that the Pre was lighter and the camera was MUCH clearer, the pictures were more real to life. I also love how easy it is to browse the web, I do it quickly in the morning, while I'm still in bed. It also brings up my email quickly so I can see if there is anything important in there without turning on my computer. I love the Palm App Catalog, they update regularly and they even have a gluten free app- for free!

There are some things that I don't like about the phone. For one, there is a short battery life which means that I can't forget to charge it at night or else it will run out during the day. The one other thing I don't like is how long it takes to reboot. But, those are things that I can live with! At least until the next new Palm phone comes out!

palm pre

from Davis, CA

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

this cell phone is very small but extremely easy to use. however if you have small fingers this is most definitely not the phone for you. screens can be very difficult to accurately tap and the qwerty keyboard that slides out from the bottom of the phone in portrait mode is extremely small and will be very hard for large fingers to type effectively and quickly and correctly without many typos or mistakes. the screen is otherwise very good and the phone is very fast if overclocked with palm preware. the build quality of the phone is average.. i do not trust it enough to drop from my hand onto hard floor without dealing lethal damage to the screen or the phone as a whole unit. the webos is a very good software, it is must simpler to use than android and ios and blackberries. however its app store is not as huge as those softwares because of the smaller userbase of palm pre users around the world. highly recommended.

2nd touchs screen phone loved this one better

from Vista, CA

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

Ive had a touch pro before and I hated that phone so when I got this one i loved it very easy to get to know I have alot of games on my phone and other cool stuff i have a magic eight ball app and my kids love that where they always want to ask it questions and i love how i can watch shows on my phone in good quality this phone is the best phone ever and the battery i dont have to worry because i ended up buying an extended battery for it

really great phone

from Murrieta, CA

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

Love the phone and all its features. Would love if volume was louder, and occassionally when you talk it will hit a number from your face. Easy to use. Fun to use. Like how it connects your applications together

Good software, but horrible build quality.

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

I wanted to love the Palm Pre. I really did. In the beginning, it was amazing to me because it was a major step up from everything else. I could log in to AIM and Yahoo at all times, connect to Wifi, load a web browser and take nice photos.It was a beautiful interface, but then the issues started bothering me. Dust gets under the camera lens REALLY easily. The keyboard is a sticky rubber that needs to be broken in. The headphone jack is tilted and it's hard to make a good connection even with the stock headphones. The headphone controls are weird, just one click. I stopped using them quickly.It didn't stop there. The battery life was atrocious. Even after learning to disable everything, after a year, it couldn't go more than 7 hours some days. I often find it crashed and I've missed phone calls. I've had to hack the device to get basic features like seeing how long the phone call is, how much battery is left or being able to take a picture with a button instead of tapping the screen.The ring around the camera lens and the cover over the USB port have broken off. My power button is completely broken, too. The device is cheap. There's also the fun part of the 3 and a half minute boot up time. It's HORRIBLE, especially given how often the device crashes.And that doesn't touch on how they're well over a year late from releasing Adobe Flash on this. I love the software, I really do, but the hardware is junk and the new Pres don't add enough to make me not go to Android, and I've been with Palm all my life.

My Palm Pre keeps me organized and was very easy to get used to.

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

I upgraded from the previous version Palmto the Palm Pre and was very happy with the easy transition.

What I like most about the palm devices is the touch screen and the all in one phone, calendar, calculator,camera, Google Maps, etc. There are a lot of applications that I use on a daily basis and some I haven't tried yet. My Bluetooth headset works with this phone and I can get my email where ever I am.

Everything was included in the package except the car charger. There was even a soft pouch to keep it in. The optional case is not something I need. On the Palm Pre the keyboard slides down so there is no chance of typing something when you might not want to. I have not had the problem of my phone dialing when it is in my purse.

I would have liked more choices of ringtones but those can be downloaded from the internet.

All in all, I am pleased with this device.

[Palm Pre] Small package, big features

from Austin, TX

Comments about Palm Pre Smartphone:

All I can say is I love the Pre.  You can't beat the form factor.  It's a full-featured smartphone that won't bulge out of your pocket like an iPhone or Evo.  Plus having a physical keyboard slide out gives you that tactile key pressing instead of the flaky onscreen virtual keyboards.

But ultimately, WebOS is the star of the show. I can't get enough of the true multitasking. Having cards open for multiple applications means that I can be texting and then immediately swap over to check some basketball scores on the web browser and then swap over to check the lastest on my twitter app and open links and not have to worry about losing my place in any of my previous applications.  The interface is intuitive, and definitely one-handed operational.  Not to mention all the patches and hacks that you can apply to customize the phone even further.

Only complaint is that build quality could be better instead of the "plasticky" body of the phone. It's survived a couple of falls onto the concrete pavement, but it's definitely a bit fragile to handle rough and tumble environments.

If you're looking for a easy to use smartphone that has a ton of capabilities but don't want to lug around a mini-tablet as your phone, then the pre is the way to go.