Other Exercise DVDs & Videos:
P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout

P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout

Pros

Cons

Challenging workout even for the fittest - Get ready to sweat!

I started P90x about 3.5 weeks ago. I have to say, I bought it pretty blind. I had no idea what I was getting into-- which is probably a good thing!Read complete review

So, what is P90x? P90 is a hardcore, 6-day-per week workout that can be done in your home with minimal equiptment. You need a pull up bar, some basic weights, a yoga mat, water bottle and a towel! Each day, you spend anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours doing a workout video. One day is weights and abs, the next day Tony's version of martial arts, the next day 1.5 hours of Yoga, and on and on.... There is a different routine each day. And, it crossing almost every workout discipline you can think of.

The first week of P90x was HELL for me. I would have quit had my husband not been doing it with me. I was huffing and puffing through the whole workout. And, I was exhausted and falling over asleep each night. I could barely keep my eyes open. I think my body was completely drained from the workouts. It was way more intense than anything I had ever done before. 10-minute-pilates solutions even at its hardest doesnt even come close! Although, I must say, I was damn good at nearly all of the core moves.

Now that I am 3.5 weeks in (and I have been very religious about sticking to the routine), I do feel way better and Im not nearly exhausted. I think my body is finally adjusting. But, the shocking news-- I have gained almost 7lbs. Yes, 7lbs!!! I think it is mostly muscle (at least that is what I hope!) because my clothes feel the same. It is pretty demoralizing though to have such rapid weight gain when you are hoping for weight loss.

I will have to check back in over the next couple of weeks to let you know how it is going. For now, I am motivated even if I am gaining 7lbs in 3 weeks. Ouch! Stay tuned.

You need to havea lot of time and it has a lot of results

I waited over one year before trying it for good reason.  The workouts are intense.  I know alot of people are really positive about it, and I probably would be too if it were one of my first workouts.  The good news is they seem to be good and making sure you don't get hurt.  The only workout I got injured in was Kempo and the tape now skips so I could not work out with the video anymore.  Here's the advice I've gotten and the workout I do. They say using more than three pound weights because you can get excess skin later on. I found I was thinner and lost more weight when I follow this rule.  It's like a miracle worker.  I also skipped out on the yoga and plyometrics dvd, as I was suggested by someone that got results.  I also don't do the pushups ( i do the firm pushups on my knees).  I don't do the pull ups, i use weights instead of the resistance bands.  I did see results, and I feel like my old self again with my workout, but I need to warn you he's a bore.  Some of the workouts are way too hard and too rough, but it was designed for the "gym rat" who is well versed in the workouts.  I would suggest you modify the workouts the way you see fit (you can do push ups against a door for example, you can go lower on the weights or higher on the weights).  Most people workout six times a week.  I work out seven, and I am more tired.  There is  alot of stretching.  When I looked in the mirror I was in shock at the results (I did the classic).  When I first got the collection I was overwhelmed with the options.  Also, the tape will skip so you need to let the dvd play through (no stopping the dvd or it will skip, at least on my computer).

Challenge accepted!

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

Great workout program! I was hesitant to try it at first, but s glad I did. The workouts can be modified for any fitness level, you don't need to be extreme to do it. Tony really takes care of your body and teaches you how to strengthen it but not hurt it in the process. The workouts are long, but definitely worth the results!

No pain, no gain!

from Kansas

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

P90X is a very intense at home workout. IT WORKS. I like these workouts because they can be done in the privacy of my own home since I hate working out in front of people. The P90X series is NO JOKE. You are supposed to follow a P90X calendar that comes with the DVD's, which specifies certain workouts on certain days. Changing your workout each day helps you not get bored, which is a common problem for me when working out, I just get so bored! Okay, you are going to be SORE. You will hate getting out of your chair, you will hate having to sit on the toilet, stairs are going to make you want to cry. It's SO SO SO worth it. The high energy, fun, and challenging workouts are awesome. You will see results, I sure did. My only thing against the P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout is the high price, if you're on a budget it's probably not for you. Overall, I highly suggest it though! They are challenging but all the workouts are effective and you will love the results you get!

P90X got me into shape!

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

I started doing P90X when I first started my fitness journey. I was doing one of the videos at least 5-6 days a week. P90X helped me lose over 50 lbs, and I wasn't even following Tony Horton's diet plan (although I was eating much healthier than I previously was). P90X is challenging, but Tony Horton is fun, pushes you, but not to the point where you feel like you want to fall over, and generally makes you laugh at least once during each video. I would definitely recommend P90X to anyone looking to start their own fitness journey.

Exhausting

from Empire, AL

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

I am in pretty good shape but I was tired of the traditional workouts and my husband mentioned the P90X to me. We decided to give it a try and every evening when we put the kids in bed we would do our workout. Little did we know the workouts were so long. This workout is only for those who want to work out for 1.5 to 2 hours a day. If you want to work out 7 days a week and for that long each day, be my guest but I will say there are much better workouts out there. I kept up for 2 months before my body absolutely began to fall apart. I was following the diet plan and doing the workouts but I was so tired throughout each day that I couldn’t even do regular activities like clean the house. It is just too much workout each day, nobody needs that much. The diet plan consists of egg whites, veggies of all kinds, very hard to find ingredients like certain types of fish and arugula which I had never heard of before seeing the recipe guide. Each day or night you focus on a particular area of the body and the exercises repeatedly target a certain muscle group for the entire workout. The ab workout was killer and would leave me screaming. If you have a lot of weight to lose or want to build lots of muscle, this may be the workout for you. I was just looking for something to keep me in shape, not kill me in the process. I lost maybe 2 pounds but I did gain muscle. I could see the tops of my abs starting to form a partial 6 pack but I was so exhausted by it all that I had to quit. In my opinion, better workouts exist. I got my dvds used and I am very glad I didn’t pay full price for this set.

Great Workout

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

I have been using the P90X program for about 5 years now. It is still one of the best most intense, and effective workouts I have ever tried. Of course you only get what you put in, and P90X constantly pushes you to keep going. Each DVD in this pack comes with 3 to 4 workouts, and each workout last on average about an hour. There is also another DVD that features PDF files that cover meals, progress charts, and workout outlines for each week. I personally didn't use the meal plan, but instead just stuck with portion control, and being more aware of nutrition facts. P90X also tries to push their shakes on you. I never used any of them so I can't tell you if they work or not. The workouts themselves are pretty intense. When I first started, I could only do about half the workout, but over the course of time I was able to easily get through each workout. There is a good amount of variety in the workouts. You will never get bored. Some focus on weight/strength training, while others focus more on cardio. One thing you will need is a good amount of dumbbells, and possibly workout bands. Also a yoga mat would be very beneficial. Overall this is a great workout. I have lost over 30 lbs with the P90x program.

Extreme Workout

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout is a very tough workout, but if you can stick with it you will see results. I did this workout about three years ago, and I saw results, but it's hard for me to start the exercise system since it's a very big time commitment. You also need a lot of equipment to do these exercises, such as free weights, a pull up bar, etc.

There are 12 workout DVDs in the program, and they include chest & back, plyometrics, shoulders & arms, yoga x, legs & back, kenpo x, x stretch, core synergistics, chest shoulders & triceps, back & biceps, cardio x, and ab ripper x. Out of all these DVDs, I found Yoga x to be the hardest. I was never even able to get thru an entire Yoga workout while I was doing P90X.

The amount of different workouts in this system is really important because it is the concept of muscle confusion. You are constantly changing the exercises, so your body never knows what to expect next. This also keeps you from getting bored while you're doing this workout.

If you have enough time to dedicate to this program, and enough money to buy the fairly pricy program, you will see results.

Great work out

from New Jersey

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

Targets every body area, each DVD varies ( cardio, abs, weights, yoga, even karate) so its great you don't get bored. It is hard and does need commitment but as the slogan goes "do your best and forget the rest" you don't need to be perfect or get it all right the first time and that's what I love about p90x. You'll notice it does get easier over time and you will see results if you stick with tony.

I didn't follow it to the letter and still lost 20lbs!! It does come with a meal plan and also tells you on which day to do which work out. My favorite is by far the Menlo karate and you find the more you get into it the better and easier it is to get up every morning and when you see the changes it's motivation. Tony Horton is middle aged and Is fantastic some DVDs just feel fake but this is real and that's what I like.

People doing p90x can also get advice from the beach body website which Is an added bonus if its new to you.

I'm Losing Weight

from Hollywood, FL

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

I'm not really following the suggested regimen. I have a few favorites from the 10 or 12 workouts and have even carved out some portions from those that I think give me a good regular workout.

Specifically, Cardio and Kenpo and Yoga are my favorites. I hate most of the others, perhaps because they are too hard or I don't have a chin up bar in my home. My workout usually is the extremely hard 10 minute workout from a different series, followed by the P90X Cardio (minus the warmup, starting with yoga).

I was searching for something better than wii fit plus, which is entirely too easy, though the super hula hoop is a good "post p90x sweat continuer" and also measures your weight and keeps track for you. This is what I ended up with. I have the host's comments memorized and don't even need to watch it to do it (both piss my wife off).

BTW, I'm down over 30 lbs and still pretty much eat and drink what I want.

Good product!

Don't get in your own way

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

This is a great workout IF you have the discipline to actually do it. It's hard-- very hard. If you're the type of person who buys a workout gadget and it collects dust weeks later, don't waste your money. But if you're serious about getting in shape and will stick to the workouts, you'll see results.

A challenging, enjoyable and highly effective workout program!

Comments about P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout:

This product is one that keeps giving! My husband bought it on his 40th birthday because he was tired of being unhealthy and out of shape. Between watching his success and my own health issues, I started working out too...soon our three sons and my in laws did too. It became a family affair with the ultimate prize being the 7 of us losing over 200 lbs in the first year.

It is a program that will continually stretch your limitations by challenging you to do more than you thought possible. The variety of the workouts keep you involved and even though Yoga may not be something that you fall in love with in the beginning you learn a true appreciation for what your body needs.

This program became more than just a workout, it became a lifestyle that completely changed our outlook on life. Tony Horton is a pure heart, with whom I have had the pleasure of spending time. He truly cares about the state of our country, we all need to be healthier and he is determined to give everyone the opportunity to have the tools needed to succeed.