Other Air Fresheners:

Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer

Pros

Cons

Gets "Oust" 99.9% of Germs and Viruses

**Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer** is a product of SC Johnson and is designed to not only work as an air "freshener" but sanitizer as well as disinfect many common surfaces. It is available in three scents, Clean, Citrus and Outdoor.

**How to Use** **Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer**: Shake well before each use. For the most part you simply clean your surface, whatever it is and then apply the Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer. In some cases, such as diaper pails you will need to spray until the surface is wet. For surfaces you use, let the spray sit on the surface for 30 seconds. To use in the air, close all windows and doors and turn off ceiling fans and spray for approximately 10 seconds. After spray settles you can turn on fans and open windows. For mold and mildew spray surface until wet then let air dry.

**What Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer Does:** (according to SC Johnson) "kills greater than 99.9% of germs, bacteria†, viruses†† and fungi††† on hard, non-porous surfaces. It disinfects and deodorizes by killing common germs and controlling their odors. It works to eliminate odors in the air by killing odor-causing bacteria. It also prevents odors at their source caused by germs, bacteria and mildew."

It eliminates and kills the following: Bacteria: † Staphylococcus aureus (Staph) Salmonella enterica Listeria monocytogenes Enterococcus faecalis Escherichia coli (E. coli) Enterobacter aerogenes Campylobacter jejuni Pseudomonas aeruginosa Viruses: †† Rotavirus - the leading cause of infectious diarrhea in children *Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) - the leading cause of lower respiratory infection in childrenand an important cause of ear infections in children *Influenza A (flu) Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 *Human Coronavirus *Parainfluenza A Virus Type 3 Fungi: ††† Trichophyton mentagrophytes (the fungus that causes athlete’s foot)

**Storage and Disposal of Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer:**Keep away from children and pets, heat, open flames or sparks. In some areas this can may be recycled, if so be sure to empty container throughly but do not puncture can and dispose of in your curbside recycling container.

**Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer Warnings**: Do not spray on wood, painted surfaces, acrylics or pets.

***My Viewpoint:*** **Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer**has been used in every room in my house both in the air or on a surface. Some of my favorite places (and most likely the ones that need it the most) include: the bathroom counters and faucets, toilet seats, shower, diaper pails, trash cans, kitchen counters, sink and faucets and door knob handles throughout the house. By using this product I get the disinfecting of Lysol but also a fresh clean scent. It also costs just a little less than Lysol and quite often is on a special sale and coupons. I also like that it makes the air fresher as well as disinfects surfaces. The citrus scent is my personal favorite, but my husband tends to get the Clean Scent, which I feel smells a little too "disinfecty" or with a medicine smell. It is quite effective and I can't imagine not using it especially during cold and flu season. We have playdates very often at our house and keeping a can up high in the bathroom means my guests and their children can make sure that we keep the spreading of germs and bacteria to a minimum.

Overall, **Oust Surface and Air Sanitizer** is effective, useful, smells pretty good (I wish there were other scents -- more aromatherapy in tone) and less expensive than other brands. I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to those who have lots of guests in their home, little children or need or want to just cut down on the spread of nasty germs while having a fresh clean scent left behind.  Now, if only they could come up with a natural version using plant extracts and vinegar like Arm and Hammer did with their cleaning products I would definitely give it a 5 stars!

Why can't I breathe?

I am an allergy sufferer and have occassional, mild asthma.  We have cats and rabbits in our house.  With all the animals, I needed (or thought I did) something to freshen the air and bought Oust Clean Scent.  The smell isn't bad or overpowering.

Now, a month later, I am so sorry I brought this toxic stuff into my home.  My first clue should have been that the animals ran when I used it.  The coughing fits following it's use should have been another clue.

I had just bought another box of hay for the rabbits and was trying to blame the hay (something we've had in the house for years) for my sudden nightly asthma symptoms.  Yesterday, something made me read the label on the can of Oust.  It's recommendation that I should have spoken to my doctor before using it sent the can straight to the trash.

Is SC Johnson trying to kill us all?  I will live with the occassional stinkiness that comes from the litter boxes before I can get to them.

An entirely horrible product that should be pulled from all shelves.  Dangerous to be used where we spend the most time.

Get those smelly germs out of the air w/ Oust Air Sanitizer!

from Tiny Town, GA

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

I'm pretty certain that most people know the difference in air fresheners such as Fabreeze and in **Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer**. In case you don't, Oust kills 99.9% of odor causing germs in the air and it eliminates odors. Other spray air fresheners only mask odors temporarily. **Oust Air Sanitizer** helps reduce the number or airborne bacteria in any room. It leaves your home smelling clean and fresh and it eliminates tough odors such as pet odors, smoke, and mildew.

I love **Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer** in the Citrus Scent. It smells so fresh. It doesn't smell anything like a hospital, like you might think it would smell. It smells as good as any other citrus scented air freshener, but it's better because it actually kills the germs that cause the odor in the first place.

The **directions** are: *"To temporarily reduce airborne bacteria and eliminate odors in an average room (12'x12'x9'), close all doors, windows, and air vents and spray product upward in center of room for 10 seconds. For maximum effectiveness relative humidity should be between 45% and 70%. Resume normal room ventilation after spray has settled. It's a violation of the Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."*

The **ingredients** are: **Active Ingredients:** *"Triethylene Glycol (6.0%)."*
**Inactive Ingredients:** *"Inert Ingredients (94.0%), Total (100.0%)."*

**Storage & Disposal Statements:**

**Storage:** *"Store away from heat, sparks, and open flame, in an area inaccessible to children."*

**Disposal:** *"This container may be recycled in the few but growing number of communities where aerosol can recycling is available, empty the can by using the product according to the label. (Do Not Puncture!) If recycling is not available, wrap the container and discard in trash."*

**Precautionary Statements:** *"Hazards to Humans & Domestic Animals."*

**Caution:** *"Avoid contact with food and food utensils. Avoid contact with eyes. Before using product throughout your home, use in one room and wait 24 hours to ensure that no one has any physical reactions to the product."*

**Asthma and Allergy Sufferers:** *"Consult your physician before using this product in your home."*

**Statement of Practical Treatment:** *"If sprayed into eyes immediately flush with water. Get medical attention if irritation persists."*

**Physical/Chemical Hazards:** *"Extremely Flammable! Keep away from fire, sparks, and heated surfaces. Contents under pressure. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to temperatures above 120 degrees F may cause bursting."*

I keep lots of air fresheners around my house. I like for my house to smell nice. I don't like germs. Oust Citrus scent kills the germs that cause odors while making my house smell clean and like citrus scents. It's not perfect...it has chemicals in it and you have to be careful when you use it around people and pets. Because of those two reasons, it gets 4 stars instead of 5.

The performance of this product couldn't be better! It doesn't cover up odor, it gets rid of odor and leaves behind a fresh, nice scent that smells clean...and the odor doesn't come back like it does with other air fresheners...it neutralizes odor so you don't have to worry about it any more!

I like all of the Oust scents, (there are several), but the Citrus scent is my favorite. It smells like fresh oranges or tangerines, and it's noticeable but it isn't overwhelming in the least. It smells really nice and the scent lingers while the odor disappears for good.

The Oust Spray does take the odors out.

from Detroit, MI

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

Whenever I use the Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer spray, it does take the odor out of the air, and it smells good too. I have used it multiple times whenever I would ahve to do housework on Saturdays. I would use the spray to spray the bad odors from some of the shoes that my siblings and I have. It gets rid of the odors, but the scent eventually dies away within a few hours of the spray. The spray coes in various colors and are easy to use. I sometimes also use the spray whenever I just want the house to smell fresh or before visitors come over so that they can smell the fresh scent of the house instead of the other odors, such as from food, the garbage, and other scenta that travel around the house. I am not as accurate as to if it really does get rid of 99.9% of the germs in the odors in the household, but it does make it smell good for a few hours.

Oust Surface Disinfectant and AIr Sanitizer Kills Germs

from Houston, TX

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

Germs are everywhere, but there are plenty of effective household chemicals that kill germs, some with the press of a button. One of them is **Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer.**

**Disinfectant Commentary:**

** **

Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer is a germ- fighting spray that comes in a few scents such as Clean Scent and Citrus. It comes in an aerosol can and is applied by spraying directly on surfaces or into the air. The product kills 99.9 percent of bacteria, fungi, and virus germs.

Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer offers a few uses, but the germ- fighting ability has to rank as its best quality. By killing common viral germs, there is less chance your family will catch various communicable diseases and the product can be used to kill germs on most any non- porous surface. I like to use it in the kitchen and bathroom, as well as spray it in the air, to keep germs under control.

Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer does have another use, and that is its freshening ability. It is good for eliminating bad odors from the air and on surfaces. Some people will spray Oust in their trash cans or in a diaper pail to eliminate bad odors and it does an effective job when used for these purposes. One needs to keep in mind that it cannot and should not be used in place of regular cleaning, but it is useful at eliminating bad smells at least on a temporary basis.

** **

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer is a good product for its germ- fighting abilities and it makes a good choice when you want to protect your family from viruses and the nasty illnesses they can cause. It costs a little more than the average freshening spray, but with disinfecting abilities like this, the extra cost is worth it.

Works very well at killing germs and viruses.

Great scent- all of the scents are very fresh and very nice.

Good deodorizer

from Garner, NC

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

I have the Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer in the citrus scent and it smells really good...not quite as overpowering and/or strong as the other scents. It really does help get rid of odors. I sprayed in my bathroom and within about 15 minutes the odor was gone and after about an hour, there was still a hint of citrus in the air. I was amazed it even lasted that long. We have kitty kids :), so I use it mainly as a deodorizer/air freshener in our bathrooms where doors are kept shut.

Good product

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

This product is good, it kills germs and viruses and has a good sent. This is okay to use in your home or office. This product is affordable as well. The only problems is that it has chemicals that are very harmful for the environment and sometimes when it's sprayed in my restroom and my kitchen, it causes the floor mat to be slippery which almost caused me to trip. The spray can needs to be improved because once I used it, the button got stuck and it sprayed everywhere, glad it was almost empty, I know this sort of thing doesn't happen a lot, but it was causing a mess. Ways it can improve is making it last longer, pet-friendly, and environmental friendly. If there are changes to this product, then it would be an excellent product. However, its still a good product and I would recommend it to others.

Great Disinfectant!

from Huntington Beach, CA

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

This is a great disinfectant to have on hand. Especially during the cold and flu seasons! Our family has always used the Lysol brand- something my husbands family grew up using. I had coupons for Oust and gave it a try. I was happy with the results. I love that this product kills 99% of the viruses and germs. I don't really use this product for an "air sanitizer" but to kill the viruses and germs that are lingering in the air. I don't necessarily love the scents but they are tolerable when I know it is helping stop viruses and germs. I do not use this product everyday, just mainly when someone in the family is starting to feel sick. We spray it on the beds, blankets, sheets, pillows, and in the air of each room.

My favorite spray air freshener

from Clear Brook, VA

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

I have gone back and forth with air fresheners because I usually like to try out new ones on sale. But this is definitely my go to one. I feel like this one just does a better job of eliminating odors than febreze, Lysol, or any of those other brands. This air freshener is easy to use, and produces a nice mist that covers a lot of area when you just squeeze the trigger while moving the can in a sweeping arc through the air. The mist comes out in a fine spray, though if I don't hold the trigger all the way down, the spray tends to emerge in a wet stream. To be honest, I normally only use spray air fresheners in my bathroom, so I cannot really attest to its uses in eliminating normal house odors. I typically spray this scent in the bathroom immediately after my "toilet time" and any possible odors are held at bay. Like with all air fresheners, too much of a good thing is a bad thing; and I am careful not to use too much of this product, because a little really goes a long way. At first the scent is light and airy, faint in the air. But before long the smell intensifies, scenting the air with a strong smell. That is not good, and I find that the smell lasts strongly in the air for about 20 - 30 minutes. Considering all things, I still think this is the best of the air freshener products. Oust does not spend too much time trying to come up with the next great fancy thing, but just sticks to making air fresheners that actually ELIMINATE odor. Not mask it.

Pretty good

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

I think that this Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer product works pretty well. It of course works very well in terms of a surface cleaning/getting things fresh and nice and not worrying about germs. It can be used daily anywhere in your house so its definitely a go to product. It kills 99.9% of germs which eases your mind and you can clean effectively without just moving germs around you can actually get rid of them! Its very effective. It has a pretty okay but somewhat strong oder - nothing too bad but just don't inhale the stuff! It does at most spray bottles do - tend to disperse a lot in the air. Be carful around small kids and pets and I don't know how safe it is for them to breathe it all in. It's not that expensive and I think a great deal. We commonly use it to clean the inside of our trash can which tends to get smelly and sometimes wet from stuff. This makes it a easy product to make sure nothing like mold starts to grow.

Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer brings back memories

from Nampa, ID

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

I use to highly dislike the Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer because that's all my parents would ever use in our bathrooms and I got sick of the strong scent all the time. However, now that I'm an adult and have a place of my own, I have come to realize the reasoning behind my parents only buying the Oust spray. It is simply because it works the best for its purpose! Think about it this way: The Oust spray is Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer, which is just what a bathroom needs! We all know that bathrooms hold lots of germs, but think about how many germs spread after flushing a toilet. The Oust spray eliminates the germs and bacteria not only on surfaces, but in the air as well. So now when I use the spray I am reminded of my parents and my negligence towards their meaning behind only using this spray, but I understand now. Plus, it is very affordable. The thing I do not like about the spray and never will like is the strong, chemical like scent it has.

great item...I like to use Oust.

from Onalaska, WI

Comments about Oust Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer:

My wife had gotten a coupon to buy Oust the first time. I am not sure we would have picked this up without that coupon. We bought this and used it and now are believers! This works great at refreshing the air and cleaning the surface. I feel like this product refreshes a room when using it. I worry about all the chemicals we use in our world. I worry about how they affect us and how they are going to affect us in the future. I don't worry so much about using Oust like this. We keep this product in our bathroom. It is easy to use and seems to last a long time. The bottom of the can has not rusted on us yet. One thing that did happen was we dropped the can on the tile floor and the plastic shattered. There were alot of little pieces to pick up after that and the can was not really usable once the top broke off. Just be careful not throw this on the floor! It does foam a little bit. This threw me off when I first used it. Overall Oust is a good product I would recommend.