4.1

Cons

Oster 12 speed blender

The only thing that keeps me from giving it a '10' is...Read complete review

Especially for the price -- very good 'bang for the buck.'
The only thing that keeps me from giving it a '10' is that the motor heats up if you keep it running for too long.

But 'too long' is subjective! In my case, I was trying to make mayonnaise (for the first time and unsuccessfully.) By the time I was done pouring the thin stream of oil into the recipe, the whole 'glop' was quite hot.
Perhaps I was asking the blender do something for which it was not designed.

Blending Power
Hey! This has power, all right.
I've recently gotten into making shakes, starting out with crushed ice. It handles the job just fine. It goes from 'ice cubes' to 'crushed ice' in less than a minute.

Versatility
I've only asked it to do a few different things, but so far I've only had one failure (the mayonnaise) and I think that was my own fault.

I LOVE how easy it is to clean it!
I fill it a little less than half full with warm water, add a small squirt of dish-washing liquid, and run it on the 'easy clean' setting for about 30 seconds.
For a more thorough cleaning, everything is easy to disassemble, wash, dry, and reassemble.

Very easy to use.
'Add ingredients; poke appropriate button.'

Once in a while, it will start to blend but then only be rotating the ingredients on the very bottom, while the top shows no motion. I give it a shake or turn it off, stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon for a second or two, then turn back on.
I don't think this is a flaw; just the nature of the beast. I've seen Rachel Ray have the same problem and use the same solution and I'm sure her blender is the top of the line.

Well, blenders are pretty much blenders.
But I'm quite happy how mine looks.
It's while and sleek and I have it sitting out on the counter all the time!! It doesn't detract from the look of my kitchen.

Goodness. I'm giving this quite a workout and have had it for quite a while.
It looks and functions just as well as it ever did.

Okay blender

Overall this product is just okay. It was the first blender I ever purchased for myself once moving out. Now I have moved one and purchases a vitamix which is a much better product. Overall though this blender did okay. It's blending power wasn't too great and I had some issues with it in the end not working.

Blending Power
Overall the Blending Power of this blender is not great. It will blend smoothies and milkshakes but the more frozen / hard items you put in it the more it will struggle. Sometimes it would make a burning smell when blending harder items which I did not like.

Versatility
You can blend drinks and such but because the blending power isn't amazing I would be hesitent to do much more.

Overall it is a blender so It is not the easiest to clean. I would not say it was any harder then other blenders though.

This product was very easy to use. It had many different speed settings for different mixing abilities.

The design is okay. It is not very sleek and modern like I really like but it is classic and reminds me of the blender my mother had when i was growing up.

I had some issues with this product after about 2 years of use. It started smoking when in use so I purchased a new blender.

Ok blender

from Livingston tx

Pros

• Capacity
  • Even Mixing

Cons

• Blended drinks

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

I bought this blender to maje frozen coffees with and smoothies it was good at first but then started smoking and smelling like it was burning .I could have a got a faulty one

Reliable straight forward blender

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

The Oster 12-Speed Blender is a good, reliable, simple blender. It does not have any fancy bells and whistles, but it does what it is supposed to as a blender. It has been used regularly for several years with no issues. I like that the jar is made of glass, whereas some similarly priced units have plastic ones.

Blending Power
    The blender works well for liquids, and medium thickness drinks, such as smoothies or thin milk shakes. For thicker items you will need to use a long handled spoon to help even out the consistency, and to push thicker clumps down into the blades, while the unit is off of course.

Versatility
    This a blender, and performs that function well. Although I have used it to chop items on occasion, and to make hummus once, that is not what it was designed for and as such did not perform these functions very efficiently. That said, it did work, it just would be easier to use a device designed for these tasks instead.

The blender disassembles, and cleans easily.

If used strictly as a blender for thin to medium liquids, it is extremely easy to use. You put the items in, making sure there is liquid at the bottom, close the lid, push the button, pour and enjoy!

I really like the elegant, simplistic design; this is what a blender should look like.

I have had this blender for many years, and used, and misused it, regularly with no problems.

Dont waste your money

from hastings, FL

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

This blender was the worst blender I have ever owned. It leaks at the bottm where the blade is at, it is not very powerful. I tried to make smoothies for my kids , which was the reason for buying this blender, It would not crush the ice, it didn't mix the items well and it made a huge mess at the base. I took it off tightened the bottom and it still did it every time I Used it. I have tried mixing smoothies, shake mixes and nothing works in this blender. I tried breaking the ice into smaller pieces and adding more liquid and it still would not crush the ice . The blender worked for about three months and then wouldnt come back on. I think this blender is a waste of money. You get what you pay for it. DO NOT BUY.

will not crush ice

does not mix well

once you take the blade part out there is no getting it back in tight enough. The plastic ring doesn't line back up

the bottom blade would not fit right in the bottom

It does the job

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

This blender was one of the first purchases my husband and I made when we were furnishing our first apartment. For me it had one requirement, and only one, I needed to be able to make margaritas in it. My husband was more interested in milkshakes. The Oster does what we needed it to do. I had no complaints when I used it to make frozen margaritas. All of the ingredients were well combined and I was almost never left with chunks of ice. For shakes and smoothies it does the job but we have found that it requires more liquid than we might prefer, especially when we make fruit smoothies with the kids. For that reason I don't recommend it for making things like thick sauces and dips unless they contain a lot of oil or other liquid. We bought our Oster almost fourteen years ago and although it doesn't get constant use it does get used fairly often and it is still going strong. We definitely got our money's worth with this blender!

Oster 12 speed blender

Especially for the price -- very good 'bang for the buck.'

Perhaps I was asking the blender do something for which it was not designed.

Blending Power
    Hey! This has power, all right.

Versatility

I LOVE how easy it is to clean it!

Very easy to use.
    'Add ingredients; poke appropriate button.'

Well, blenders are pretty much blenders.
    But I'm quite happy how mine looks.

Goodness. I'm giving this quite a workout and have had it for quite a while.
    It looks and functions just as well as it ever did.

Good basic blender

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

I have had this blender for 4 years and it still works great. I bought it when my son was a baby and used to blend up puréed for baby food. It worked great and I didn't need an expensive baby food processor. I mostly use it know to make smoothies. It does pretty good blending up ice and frozen fruit. I do have to stop and use a spatula to move things around a bit but if you got at some liquid in with it works pretty well. This is good basic blender for making baby food, smoothies and milk shakes. I probably use it on average twice a week and it works great after 4 years.

Blending Power
    This blends basic things like smoothies milkshakes very well for a basic blender.

Versatility
    I use this mainly for smoothies and occasional puréesand works very well for both of these purposes.

This is super easy to clean all components are dishwasher safe expect for the rubber sealing ring which I hangwash.

This is very basic and very easy to operate, just add your ingredients and push whatever button is approiate for your reciepe.

It's a very basic design but serves it's purpose very well.

I have used this about twice a week for 4 years and it still works great.

Good for the money.

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

The Oster 12 Speed Blender is a nice compact blender that fits well on the counter without taking a lot of space.

Blending Power
    It is not so great with crushing ice. I usually had a big chunk when I was trying to make a smoothy. Also if you like to make green smoothies the greens do not blend smooth. You would need to upgrade to a more expensive blender. For most things this blender works just fine. But if you want to make a lot of green smoothies I wouldn't recommend it if your kids don't like the texture. Also don't put hot food in to blend like a tomato sauce. I did this once and the lid exploded off from the pressure built up. What a mess. Red sauce everywhere. My Blendtec I can. Just blend it before you cook.

If you happen to have dirty hands when touching the buttons it can be a pain to clean in between them. Let's face it when you cook you can have food on your hands.

Just put the food on and push a button. Not too hard.

Nice compact. Would prefer buttons that did not stick out.

If you don't do thick milkshakes or smoothies all the time it should last a while. Don't drop the jar on a tile floor.

Blender Fun

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

The effectiveness of a blender is an important element in the preparation of a good frozen drink. Based on that element alone this Oster Blender is not the best value in the market. If you blend to long the ice turns to water creating a weak variety of your favorite frozen treat. Not blended enough the blender leaves small chuncks of ice in the drink. In addition rewcently the crushed ice feature of our refrigerator would not work. When I tried to duplicate the ice produced by the refrigerator the result was unsatisfactory. On the other end of the scale the blender works well making creamed soups and the chopped ingredients for salsa. The pulse feature is a good way to blend chopped vegtables and broth. There is a grate button which has never produced any results that relate to grating something. I have never found a use for the shread button. Helping to balance these two features that seem unnecessary is the ease of clean up.

makes great smoothies!

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

My kids love having fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast. This blender makes short work of it! In just a few second, a delicious and healthy breakfast is ready to be served.

The only concern I have is that the container doesn't firmly lock in to the base.

I loved

Comments about Oster 12-Speed Blender:

I loved this blender! I was having a house party and had no drinks prepared and yet the visitors were arriving anytime, i was frantic, what was I going to do? Then my neighbor lent me her blender to help me make juice and viola! In just a few minutes my passion, pineapple and mango juice was ready thanks to this amazing machine! It is a real time saver!