2.8

Cons

Piece of junk

from New England area

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
  • Simple Controls
  • Simple Display

Cons

• Heats Unevenly
  • Noisy
  • Paint Chips And Rusts
  • Unreliable

Comments about Oster 1000 Watt 1.1 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven:

We bought this microwave about 2 years ago. It has always made a buzzing noise when running, probably a loose panel, part or the fan vibrating when it's in use. The popcorn button always burns the popcorn--setting it on a timer would undercook the popcorn and leave numerous unpopped kernels.

Within the past year the paint on the bottom of the microwave started bubbling, cracking and peeling under the tray, and it began rusting. I scrubbed some off with a steel wool pad to see how deep it went and fortunately it hasn't rusted all the way through. But even so. It's not like we abused it and scratched the inside of the microwave with harsh cleansers or cleaning utensils. The paint on the inside of the microwave should not be bubbling, cracking and/or peeling if it's a quality product. I could probably fix it by removing the rust down to bare metal and touching up the affected areas with appliance paint, but jesus who has the time for that??!

The kicker: A couple days ago it started beeping in the middle of the night. We unplugged it for a few hours and tried to use it the following day. Now it runs, but it doesn't heat anything at all. Tried resetting it per manufacturer instructions to no avail.

It's as useless doorstop. Wish I hadn't bought it. Now it's going in the trash. Goodbye Oster. You used to be a very reliable company, but after several different negative experiences with your product lines we will never buy Oster products again.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Oster Microwave A No No

Comments about Oster 1000 Watt 1.1 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven:

Ok, where do I start on this one. We had this microwave for less than 2 years, and it never really cooked like other brands. Whenever we would make a frozen pizza or meal, it Never cooked all the way through. Making popcorn was a joke. There was a popcorn button, but if you pushed it it would set the timer for well over 2 minutes and the popcorn would always burn. On the other hand if I manually set the timer for popcorn it would never fully cook the kernels. Again, remember this machine was less than 2 years old. I can't think of a single food it truly cooked well. The last straw was when I went to clean it one day, and peered up to the inside top and saw that all the paint had melted and was chipping off, meaning it could fall into my food! I was stunned. I have never seen this happen in any other microwave before. I tried to scrape off the paint, but it was unpainted metal underneath, and I felt uneasy cooking like this. I had no choice but to throw out a 2 year old machine. I will never buy any products from Oster again!

Never cooked evenly

Paint chipped off the inside and melted

Lasted less than 2 years

cheap

Comments about Oster 1000 Watt 1.1 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven:

I purchased the Oster microwave last spring. The microwave is not used on a regular basis and everything worked fine until last night. At around 1:00am, I heard an alarm go off so I woke my husband. But he also heard it and thought it was the alarm to get up for work. After we got up to check the time, we realized it was the microwave oven beeping continuously. We could not stop the beeping or turn it off. We tried the power button. Nothing! The display was asking for a code. What code? It never had one. To silence the beeping, we unplugged it. Today, I got home and tried again to see what the problem was, no luck. It's still not working, still beeping and it still wants a code. It's trash and a waste of money. Don't do it!

• Settings/Features:

I have it but I wouldn't buy it again.

Comments about Oster 1000 Watt 1.1 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven:

As far as microwaves go I would say that this one is satisfactory but not amazing. It does the job but I have definitely had issues with how it cooks. It microwaves very very hot. Always put things in for less time than you think. Also be very careful when you get your dishes out of the microwave. I usually need to use a hot pad because they get very warm. Whatever you do, do not use the popcorn button. I almost started a fire it got burned so badly. And now I just can't get the burnt smell to go away. Sometimes it also has difficulties turning as it microwaves. This doesn't always happen just occasionally. In conclusion I have and I will keep it but I don't love it and I never will.

Settings/Features
    The popcorn feature is way too hot and too long.

I have only had this microwave for three months. I have had a lot of issues so far so I am dubious for how long it will last. It definitely microwaves so I am not saying that the durability is poor, but I have reservations about how long it will last.

• Settings/Features:

Looks great and works grea

from Maple Shade, NJ

Comments about Oster 1000 Watt 1.1 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven:

I got the oster 100 watt microwave when we moved and wanted something that would match the stainless steel appliances. After using it a couple of times found out the it really works great and also look high quality. This microwave is very powerful for the size and at times you need to use less minutes to get the job done. I like that it has alot of power and makes heating something up quicker. It is also very easy to work because of the easy buttons on the front and also very quick and simple to clean. I also found that the size makes it easy to keep in a smaller kitchen and saves space. I feel like this was a great deal for the performance and the price paid for the oster 1000 watt microwave. IT is very modern and classy looking which makes it easy to find into any kitchen or counter top. From the design to the performance this was a really good deal that has held up over time and still loves new

• Settings/Features:

Great for the casual user

from Harlingen, TX

Comments about Oster 1000 Watt 1.1 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven:

We have had this microwave for about 4 months. We mostly use just to heat things up, not to cook in. If you like to cook in a microwave I would recommend one much larger - maybe as much as 2 Cubic Feet. But, if you just need to defrost a little or to heat things up occasionally, I would not be ashamed to recommend this Oster. It's attractive and not so large that we had to have a stand specially built for it. The microwave has several easy-to-use settings, with easy being the key. I'm a typical man in that I do not like to read directions, and the simplicity of this unit fits that need quite well. And if anything is not terribly clear, just putzing around with the controls a bit will be the only aid you will need in operating it.

Of course, being only 1000 watts, it may not have enough power if you are anything more than a casual user. Most cooking directions given are for units 1200 watts or bigger. But still in all, this was an affordable unit. Maybe not quite as pretty as some of its competition...but it gives an impressive run.