3.8

3.8

Too salty

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna:

As a general statement, I genuinely enjoy Oscar Mayer products. I generally appreciate turkey based substitutes for pork more than the beef based products though. Some time ago, my family decided to down size on our pork intake. Since then, we have actively participated in carefully selecting substitutes for foods we used to eat that were mainly pork based. Trying Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna was interesting for me. I enjoyed it somewhat but, it also reminded me of the main reasons that I don't generally choose beef substitutes very often. Although the bologna had a pleasant texture and overall flavor, I though that there were a couple things that could be improved. First and foremost, I would want to tone down some of the saltiness. It was somewhat over powering. Dampening the true flavor and overall consistency of the meat's natural flavor. Another concern of mine was that it was higher in fat and calories than some of Oscar Mayer's other bologna varieties. The cut of the meat was very nice. It's thickness was perfectly fit to my liking. I also thought it complimented the cheese I added to it very well. There were a few good and highly enjoyable things about the beef variety of Oscar Mayer's Bologna. But, as a result of the saltiness, higher fat content and overall calorie content, I don't feel completely confident in recommending this variety overall. It has a highly pleasant taste but, is not worth the calories, fat and salt to indulge in it all to often.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna:

Oscar Mayer beef bologna is a favorite in my family. The taste and texture of the bologna is pleasing to the senses. They are a trusted brand in my home. We love to eat the bologna on sandwiches, or just right out of the pack as a quick snack. This is the only brand of bologna that I will buy.

Not the Oscar Mayer Bologna of my youth

Comments about Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna:

Twenty + years ago I greatly cut back on my consumption of lunch meats because they contain harmful preservatives and I am sensitive to them. But I have occasionally indulged in sliced ham and Cotto Salami. Yesterday a coupon for Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna came my way so I went to Kroger and bought it. This morning I decided to have lightly fried bologna on grilled cheese biscuits. I opened the package and was unable to lift out a single slice because the bologna has the pasty texture and consistency of liverwurst and falls into shreds when I lift it. By using a table knife I was able to get the third slice out mostly intact. Upon slow frying at low heat that slice shrunk to about half its original area. It has way too much water and grease which Oscar Mayer apparently calls beef. The bologna that I grew up with as bologna stays firmly together when handled and shrinks no more than 15% when slow fried. The smell is normal and the taste after frying is fair but much too salty. Bar S is much better and cheaper.

Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna Has No Fillers

from Boondocks the heart of Northern , NY

Comments about Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna:

Every once in a while I like a good old fashioned bologna sandwich. We call it bolognie here in my neck of the woods. I always stick to the one brand I know I can trust, Oscar Mayer. Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna is the one kind of bologna they make without the fillers added to it. They do make other kinds with the added pork, beef and whatnot, but I prefer the all beef kind so I know more of what I am eating. They even make a light bologna as well.

This kind, the all beef bologna, comes prepackaged in a one pound raised see through packaging. It is not too difficult to open and the slices on this particular kind are not thin sliced so it makes a better sandwich in my opinion. There are approximately 16 slices in this one pound package.

Some like it fried, but I personally can't stand the smell of fried bologna. This prepackaged variety is already fully cooked so you can eat a slice right from the package if you prefer. I like to have mine in a sandwich with mayonaise on the bread and a slice of cheese with it. This makes a nice quick lunch item or as a handy in-between snack if you want something to hold you over.

**Nutrition:** Fat content is 8 grams with 3.5 in saturated fats. There are no trans fats in this product. There is 20 mg of cholesterol and 310 mg of sodium in a slice. There is less than 1 gram of carbohydrates in a slice and no sugars. Protein is 3 grams in each slice. 8 % Vitamin C and 2 % Iron.

Oscar Mayer is a brand put out by Kraft Foods in Northfield, Illiniois. USA.