3.7
Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal

Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal

3.7

Ortho Defends Your Home Against Invasion

Everything is bigger in Texas, or so the saying goes. We have been living here for more than one and one- half years now and I have noticed that many things are, indeed, larger in the Lone Star State.  Insects are among the larger things in Texas and one product that helps defend the home against invasion from six- legged creatures is **Ortho Home Defense Max**, a product that kills insects and keeps them out of your house. **Insect Killer Commentary:** Ortho Home Defense Max is a liquid bug killing product that is designed for use both inside and outside the home. It comes in two forms that I know about: a trigger sprayer bottle for smaller jobs and a large, gallon size container with a flexible sprayer for larger jobs. It works by forming a barrier against invasion from insects and it protects for many months. On the inside of the home, Ortho Home Defense Max is good for six to twelve months between applications. It also works on the outside of the house and it should be reapplied once every season.  I first became interested in Ortho Home Defense Max shortly after arriving in my new home state of Texas. No matter where you live, insects can present a problem. But the problems here in Texas, close to the Gulf coast, are different from the problems I have experienced in other states. The weather here is warm and humid- precisely the type of weather that our six- legged friends like best. I have had some issues with fire ants and other insects, but the problem that concerns me most is with insects that can get into the house and among them, water bugs present the greatest problem. They grow quite large here in South Texas and they typically come out at night. They are very fast- moving and they elicit screams of terror from those who see them for the first time. To help control these water bugs, I purchased Ortho Home Defense Max and went to work spraying my house, both inside and out. On the outside, I concentrated on the doorways and windows- places where I know the large brown critters can easily sneak into the cool confines of the home. On the inside, I sprayed around he edges of the doors and windows, and also around the baseboards in the kitchen. Once Ortho Home Defense Max has been sprayed, the liquid has to be allowed to dry. It is completely safe for children and pets once it has dried, but it is toxic when wet so you need to be careful when you spray.  With Ortho Home Defense Max in place, I sat back for a few days to observe the effectiveness of this insect barrier and I have been pleased with the results. The large water bugs still get into the garage, but they are not as likely to make their way into the house. I can't say this product is perfect because these large brown water bugs still manage to sneak into the home every now and then. But it could be that I need to spray in more places since there is no telling where they might find an opening and enter the home.

One of the many good things about Ortho Home Defense Max is that it is safe to apply to many different surfaces. The liquid is clear and non- staining. Thus, it can be used on carpeting, drapery, and any type of flooring or wall surface. As long as it has sufficient time to try, Ortho Home Defense Max is safe to use and it gets to work right away. However, don't expect Ortho Home Defense Max to control any type of insect or arachnid. It is not effective on fire ants, carpenter ants, and pharaoh ants, and it has limited effectiveness on black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders (go figure- it can kill all the types of spiders except for the ones that are poisonous). If these pests are causing you problems, you will need to buy a separate killer specially formulated to eliminate these types of insects and/or arachnids.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, I am very satisfied with Ortho Home Defense Max. I like its relative safeness compared to other bug killers and I like that I can spray it on most any surface. It doesn't kill bugs instantly, so it is no substitute for Raid, Black Flag, or other aerosol spray. But it does form an effective barrier in and around the house; protecting the interior from invading insects, spiders, and other creatures. It is a good product from Ortho and I one I recommend for those with similar problems with invading insects.

The only good Flea is a Dead Flea!!!

Having a yard and pets is not an easy combination in many areas of the country. Especially where it is hot a dry in the summer months. Fleas and ticks not only go after your pets but they love to irritate people as well. There are few things more aggravating than enjoying a nice warm day and having fleas jump all over you. Then they hitch a ride on your pets and try to take over your home and this Redneck doesn't share his recliner with many people and certainly not a pesky dang flea! **Ortho Insect Killer for Lawns **This will kill 50+ different insects including fleas, ticks and ants which are all a pain in the arse. Not only that but they can ruin a great day out in your yard, so what are you to do to prevent these irritating pests. The answer my friend is ***Ortho Bug-B-Gone*** and it is very easy to apply. I use my lawn spreader and then work my way from the house toward the fence and then lightly water it to get it set into the grass so it can start doing its job.Although I haven't gotten rid of them completely, I have gotten it to where we only get an occasional flea in the house. Combined with flea spray and spreading ***Ortho*** in the yard it is a rare occasion that we are bothered by fleas in the house. Seems like fleas in the country are common place but at least we have them under control.**Bottom Line*****Ortho ***is good enough to bring them under control and I will continue to use it. Having them all gone would be nice but at least we have them under control. The last few years have been mild in winter and hot in summer so getting rid of them completely seems like a pipe dream. With extra wet spring rains like we have here a happy medium is better than nothing. I have managed to get rid of most of the grubs, ants and spiders but the fleas are way more persistent!

Helps hold infestations at bay

from Phoenix, AZ

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Safe
  • Safe for pets

Cons

• Doesn't last long enough
  • Some roaches survived

• Bugs & Insects

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

I just got myself out of a roach-infested building and to a new home. I used this product in a futile attempt to kill all the roaches, but more kept coming in or surviving and breeding. They eventually overwhelmed us and we had to move. But I did notice that when we stopped spraying this product, the roaches overtook the place when we moved out. So, I think the better use of this is not to fight when roaches are already numerous, but to prevent them from coming in. So, in my new home, I've been spraying everwhere they might try to come in.

Worthless

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

This product is not worth purchasing. I bought it months ago thinking I was getting a bargain and all it gave me was a headache. It keeps no pests out and doesn't kill the ones within. It really needs to be taken off the market, In the long run it is better to pay the extra money at a store that specializes in extermination products.

Sucks

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

I sprayed this product over every inch of my basement floor two days ago to get rid of fleas. I also treated my dogs with frontline. This morning I walked downstairs and my ankles were instantly covered with fleas. I sprayed the floor again. this evening I went back downstairs and my ankles were instantly covered again. Doesn't seem to have killed anything in fact there seem to be more fleas now than there were before.

Dumb Sprayer

from New Lenox, IL

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

Not sure how well the product works, but i hope the person who invented the sprayer is out of a job.This has got to be the dumbest sprayer i have ever used.One hand carrys the bottle,one hand works the spray nozzle and unless you've got three hands one pulls the handle out of the sprayer to keep it charged.Once you charge the sprayer it lasts about 5 seconds.Now you have to set the bottle down to pull the sprayer handle again.What a pita.This is enough to keep me from ever buying this product again! Dumb-dumb-dumb.

Ortho Home Defense MAX for indoors smells like vomit, but works.

from Edinburg, TX

Ortho Home Defense MAX - The spray for indoor control

The bottle says 'Odor Free' but upon using it, I discovered the most TERRIBLE smell...it smells strongly of vomit. Maybe I just have a super sensetive nose, but it is terrible!!!

If you have a super sense of smell, BEWARE!! IT smells like vomit!!

On the other hand, it works pretty quickly and efficiently.

I recommend it, but if your nose works well, hold your breath!

House centipedes are evil!

from Clear Lake, IA

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

We just moved into a house in Northern Iowa that has been empty for 2 years. I unfortuantly had a close encounter with a house centipede in the basement. As much as it freaked me out I had to go back down to use the spray.....which killed them on contact! It also works very well on Asian Lady Beetles which we also got invested with!!!! The one thing I did notice is that after spraying....the bugs started coming out...assuming they are trying to get away from it.....they didn't last too long once in view...due to the spray and the bottom of my shoe!

I would recommend Ortho Home Defense Max.....it is safe for pets and children once it is dry and works great!

Keeps the spiders away

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

I have a problem with spiders in my house. Every time the weather starts to get nice they appear by the hundreds. That's why I always buy a bottle of ortho home defense. The instructions say you are supposed to spray it all around the perimeter of your house to create a shield. I find that spraying it directly in the areas where bugs hand out to be better. I spray it in little nooks where the spiders like to lay there eggs. A LOT less spiders after applying this. The nozzle has different settings to control the flow of the product. From a scattered release to get the product across a wide area to a narrow setting that increases the pressure and there for the spraying distance of the product. My only complaint is that it looks too much like the weed killer. You could easily mistake the two products if you don't remember which color is which. Also, now that I think about it, the pull handle annoys me. Once you get to the end of the product, it is hard to get anything to come out using the pull handle on the bottom of the sprayer.

Ortho Home Defense MAX Keeps Unwanted Pests Away

from Mahwah, NJ

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

With the weather getting warmer, it means that people will be enjoying the outdoors a lot more. It also means that insects will be coming out of the woodwork to try and invade your home. This is why I'm always armed with **Ortho Home Defense MAX Perimeter & Indoor Insect Killer**. As the name implies, it works both outdoors and indoors.

When using it outdoors, the jet stream is powerful enough to target the second floor window. It is recommended to stay at least 12-inches away from he surface as the spray is being applied. At the same time, when spraying the outside surfaces, applying a 12-inch band along the exterior perimeter. Keep in mind that you don't need to completely soak the surface; just give a nice slightly wet finish.

While indoors, cover all or remove any exposed food that can be affected by the spray, especially when using it in the kitchen. Keep a distance of at least 12-inches when spraying the interior of your home only this time create a 4-inch band where you believe insects are problem. Obviously keep children and pets away while proceeding with this application. Surprisingly, it will dry very quickly and leave no odor behind at all. I totally appreciate both of that considering I really hate that linger scent left behind from a *Raid* can. The *MAX *provides up to 12-months control over select indoor insects.

The spray gun is affixed to a hose that attaches into a white spout on the cap of the container. The nozzle has different settings to adjust the spray patterns. Keep pulling the ring at the bottom of the sprayer to continue spraying until you are done. When finishing spraying, just flip the spout down and twist the sprayer nozzle to off. There is no need to disconnect the sprayer hose from the cap at all. Keep in mind that this isn't a refillable item so once the contents are depleted, it's time to discard and get a new one.

I do have to say that ever since I started using the *MAX*, my bug problem has decreased significantly. It targets ants, roaches, ticks, fleas, silverfish, earwigs, crickets, carpet beetles, moths, and spiders (excluding black widow and brown recluse).

**Ortho Home Defense MAX Perimeter & Indoor Insect Killer** has definitely made a huge difference. I have had fewer problems with insects than I have had in the past because of this product. Keep in mind that not all insects will be affected by you can't go wrong with 99.99% of the time.

Works Fast!

from Roswell, GA

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

We had a leak in our master bath shower area last year and ended up remodeling the bathroom as a result. When our contractor pulled out our shower, the built-up area that the shower door was on was literally COVERED with ants. I am not exaggerating when I say there were THOUSANDS of them due to the moisture from the leak.

Our contractor told us to get Ortho Home Defense Max with the pump spray. I wanted to call our exterminator instead, but the contractor said there was absolutely no need. He said he had always relied on this product in situations like this in the past.

I am so glad we listened to him, because after a single application the ants were all dead. The following day we applied this product again, just to make sure we got anything that escaped the first round. We were able to continue with the remodel on schedule since the ants were eradicated so quickly.

The only thing unpleasant about Ortho Home Defense Max is the smell. But I reminded myself that if I didn't like it, I could only imagine what the ants thought! This product is very easy to apply, it sprays evenly, and it obviously works. I highly recommend it.

i put ortho home defence down 2 times a year

from East Earl, PA

Comments about Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer, 1.33 Gal:

i use ortho home defence max i put it down in the spring the first week in march and again in the fall first week in oct i prob. dont have to but i dont have any bugs i fig most bugs want in or out in earl spring and late fall .

its easy enough to use so i do