Other Vacuums:

Oreck Bagged Vacuum

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Extremely light weight vacuum, gets things in the first sweep!

I've had my Oreck XL21 vacuum for almost 8 years now, and it has YET to fail me! With the few exception of the normal broken belt once every 2 or 3 years, that is. I fell in love with this vacuum at the ORECK store when I was able to LITERALLY lift it up with one finger like you see in the commercials. I was a tad hesitant to make the purchase, I thought "how could something this light weight get anything CLEAN in my home?", but with the 30 day trial I received, I figured what the heck. To my surprise, it was spectacular! Not only did it clean like i wanted, it picked everything up within the first sweep! I swear the light weight of the vacuum was the best feature for me. It made it a lot less of a work out when I vacuumed!! I rated this vacuum a 4-star only because it was sold to me with some type of charcoal-lined filter bags, which i was promised would give my home not only a cleaner smell, but reduce the stench of the bag sitting in the vacuum from 'lingering'. I was extremely disappointed with the bags! It gave off the smell of a 1930 vintage perfume that I could not stand!

Depends on your needs...

Ok, so what I've learned about vacuums over the years is that we all want something different so there are tons of different vacuums out there. So, here is my list of pros...Read complete review

Ok, so what I've learned about vacuums over the years is that we all want something different so there are tons of different vacuums out there. So, here is my list of pros and cons for this one.

1. It does not have on-board attachments (at least the one I have used does not). For me this is a huge negative but for some, it works out just fine, If you are the type that wants to grab your vacuum and run it up and down the hallway and into the rooms then you probaby want something that is lightweight without all the frills, this might be for you then.

2. It is lightweight. This is good if you have a bad back, are older, or just don't want to get a workout when you vacuum.

3. Did not fit under my beds. i thought this was a huge short sight on the part of Oreck. The bottom portion was low enough but the bag portion stuck out too much so it went about five inches under but couldn't clean under the bed.

4. It had a good light. I really liked this, made it easy to see what I was doing.

Anyway, we were not happy with it for our use but I can see where some might really like the Oreck.

Wow!!! Is all I can say! Great Vacuum.

from Lansing, MI

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Easy to Use
  • Efficient
  • Lightweight
  • Long Power Cord
  • Powerful/Good Suction

Cons

• Carpet
    • Pet Hair
    • Stairs

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

Got this out of a dumpster from college kids moving out of their apartment. I wanted a vacuum for downstairs so I didn't have to keep taking my very heavy Kirby up and down. Thought, OK since it's free, no biggie if it's no good. Plugged it in when I got home and it works just as good as my expensive Kirby only it's way lighter and not as noisy! Doesn't have all the attachments and bells and whistles my Kirby has, but for general vacuuming, it is fantastic. I would buy this one new and recommend it to anyone who wants a exceptional vacuum.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Best Oreck Yet - Still Not Fantastic

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

The XL21 is the best model the company has released to date, but even with that said they still can't produce a deep-cleaning vacuum. The XL21 has a smaller motor and fan, but are designed much more efficiently which does result in slightly better suction and airflow compared to prior models. The brush roll is substantial and close to perfect in texture; not too soft, not too stiff. Pet hair pick up is fantastic, and the carpet will look well groomed. The fill tubes are larger, which allows for better airflow but still easily clog. The Xl21 is still a surface-cleaner like it's predecessors. Do not expect your carpet to be deep cleaned.

However, Oreck is excellent with their warranty services. The "21" in XL21 is the length in years of the warranty and includes 21 free tune-ups. If you take advantage of it, you will always have the vacuum operating at peak performance and probably won't run into many clogging problems. It is also nice to know the motor is relativity quiet.

Maneuverability
    Very easy to move and carry. About 9 pounds.

Ease of Maintenance
    It takes a good number of screws to access the belt and motor, but the fill tube splits into two to aid with unclogging. However, with the 21 free tune up you probably won't have to do any maintenance yourself.

Suction Performance
    Much better than prior models, but still lacks behind competitors. It will groom your carpet, pick up surface litter and pet hair, but won't deep clean. This would be a great vacuum for low-pile carpeting that sees minimal use.

Versatility
    No tools, but will easily fit under furniture.

Guaranteed to work for 21 years, but there is still that clogging issue.

• Versatility:

Well Built and Easy to Use Vacuum!

from New Berlin, WI

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

We have had the Oreck Vacuum for several years and overall are very happy with it. I use it about 4 times a week to vacuum the house and it still works well. It is easy to use and easy to change the bag. We take it to the Oreck store yearly to have a "check-up." Overall a great vacuum for household use.

• Versatility:

Great vacuum with a few quirks

from Naperville, IL

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

I've owned this vacuum for a year and a half. It runs well, is generally pretty quiet, and is very light weight. I have a lot of stairs, so I love the fact that I can carry it up a flight of stairs easily and even use it on the stairs without difficulty. I can run it while people are sleeping (so long as I shut the doors) and it's quiet enough that it doesn't seem to bother anyone, which is a big plus when you have small children napping.

As far as pick up, it does a really good job most of the time. I've found that on occasion it leaves a little bit behind and I have to go over an area again to get the fine crumbs up, but for the most part this is a pretty powerful vacuum that does the trick. I also wish I could put attachments onto this vacuum for doing corners and between couch cushions because it's kind of a pain to drag out the smaller one, but I'll take the light weight if I had to pick between the conveniences.

One big thumbs up is the fact that the company has such a great warranty and annual tune up program. While I've used cheaper vacuums that have lasted for a while, I've never had a vacuum last for 10 years! They did a nice job when I dropped it off, got it all cleaned up and ready for pick up, so I have to say that Oreck seems to stand behind their products. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.

Maneuverability
    It's really easy to push and very light.

Ease of Maintenance
    The rollers are fairly easy to clean. It's not easy to take the thing apart, but Oreck does an annual tune-up.

Suction Performance
    So far, so good. Sometimes picking up small crumbs requires another pass.

• Versatility:

What it does, it does well.

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

This is a very heavy, bulky vacuum that is not easy to maneuver. While it is powerful and picks up dirt on both carpet and hardwood, it has no tools or even a detachable hose for cleaning other things. Bags can only be purchased at Oreck stores, which is fine if you have one close by. In short, this vacuum will probably last forever, but I'll need to find other ways to clean my couches, blinds, etc.

5 years and still Cleans like new

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

Bought this Oreck XL21 5 years ago its the most amazing vacuum i have ever owned, And it has a 21 year warranty and free yearly cleanings just frop it off at a oreck storefront and BOOM pick it up the next day or too, that is a fantastic part of orecks customer service, i will never own anything other then a oreck i have had every walmart and target vacuum and besides having no tools, this thing smokes anything on the market, i own a carpet cleaning company and i have seen the damage dyson vacs do to some carpets, if you look at some carpets warranty you will see that if you use a dyson vac on it it can sometimes VOID the warranty... very very aggressive to aggresive to the carpets thanks for reading this is just my 2 cents ORECK = WIN everytime!!!

Oh and mine has 2 speeds works fantastic on bare floors!!

Love my Oreck XL21 vacuum

from Gilbert, AZ

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

We got our vacuum about 5 years ago and it is great! I had previously used a Kirby so having a lightweight vacuum has been wonderful. It picks up good and works great on tile or hardwood as well as carpet. My house only has carpet in the bedrooms so this feature has really come in handy. I can vacuum my whole house instead of having to sweep most of the house with a broom. It cleans good close to edges. It is small so it's easy to get under some low items, like one of my couches. The handle will lay down almost to the floor which also aids in getting under furniture. The cord is a good length, I only have to unplug and move the cord once in our medium sized house. The bags and belts may seem a little on the pricey side, but they last a good while and so they do not really end up being more. It would have been nice to have some attachments with it. But we got a canister hand held vacuum at the same time, so it really hasn't been an issue for us. I love my Oreck and plan on getting another one when we wear this one out.

I LOVE my Oreck XL21 Vac

from Wilmington, DE

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

This is the BEST vacuum EVER. I was soo excited when I brought it home and I moved all my furniture and vaccummed everything. The warranty on it is the BEST, which Im not sure they don't even have a 21 year warranty anymore but regardless any warranty is better then none. They do a SUPER job servicing it on a yearly basis and fix ANYTHING for free, its amazing. Okay so I bought it because I clean houses and I have a bad back and neck. I was cleaning this one house and she had an Oreck and she had a very hairy shedding dog. When I turned it on I assumed like other vacuums that it would blow some of the hair and I would chase it half the time but it was amazing, and it sold me. i think the price is fine because of the warranty, plus Dyson is the same price and that thing is a beast! I love this vac!!! I could sell them.

I love my Orek, waited for years to get one,glad I have it now

from Denver, CO

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

I waited for years to get my Orek, and now I wish I would have done this sooner...this vaccum is awesome...I broke my wrist recently so was having to do everything with my left hand, this vaccum is so light and so easy to use it did not matter that I had to us my "off" hand..also the hand shoulder vac that comes with the upright is such a great product that I don't what I did without these vaccums...I urge all my friends and relatives to get one..

Oreck XL21 all the way!

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Oreck Bagged Vacuum:

We LOVE our Oreck XL21.  It is lightweight, easy to operate and manuever, has no odor, and does not leave tracks in carpeting.  It really pulls the nap up, and it self-adjusts from wood floors or hard surface to deep nap carpet.  Nice that it has two speeds.  The yearly warranty maintenance is wonderful!  Never had a problem with it.