2.3

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Taking the hassle out of traveling

**Intro** I've been using the internet travel service orbitz.com since 2003, which during that time, it was somewhat revolutionary. Now, it may not be as so, but it still keeps me satisfied enough that I don't need to go searching elsewhere. Looking for cheap flights that met with my desired times to fly, I used to check all the travel sites, all the airlines, etc. But once I checked into Orbitz, and it gave me not only exactly what I wanted, but the added little benefits as well, such as my own personal space there, I stayed. **Flights** The primary reason I use orbitz.com is to check for flights. Each time I use it, they seem to have made more and more improvements over the last time. Not that we even travel that much, as it's pretty much confined to a yearly trip to Florida to see my in-laws, and an occasional trip to New Orleans for a long adults only weekend, but we haven't been there since Katrina. And when we traveled to Acapulco, it was graciously arranged and paid for by my parents. The calendar function seems to get easier to use every year, as when you're booking ahead, it's hard to remember dates, which day of the week the 19th falls on, etc. After just putting in the basic info, such as the to and from, the dates, and how many passengers, I'm presented with a list of prices and options, nonstop or one-stop, airlines, etc. I can choose to organize the findings by price, departure time, or shortest flight. Sometimes it even warns you if there are only a few tickets left at that price, just so you can grab it while you're there, otherwise you're likely to lose it if you leave and come back. This most recent time I used orbitz.com, just this past weekend, I was searching for flights to see my in-laws in June. Traveling during Spring Break seems to have gotten very unaffordable. Not only did I find several one-stop flights for $118, not including the taxes and fees, I also found one nonstop for the same price. That's right. Nonstop from Chicago-O'Hare to Orlando for $118 on a red-eye. I played around choosing different date options, keeping my same criteria, but changing the day we were leaving and the day we were coming back. By the time I was done, I found the nonstop flight for $118, traveling from a Monday to a Tuesday the following week. We normally like to spend a few more days there than that, but who could pass up a bargain like that? That was $569.16 out the door.  We decided we wouldn't even be able to drive there for that price with the price of gas what it is. **Hotels and Cars** I've used ortbitz.com to book hotels and cars as well. We stay with my in-laws when we travel to Florida, so I don't need hotel accommodations then, but I've traveled to hotels for a weekend trip "with the girls," or for a wedding. Booking a hotel through orbitz.com is just as easy as booking a flight, as is booking a car. And after booking your flight, you're presented with the option of booking a hotel, car, theme park tickets, transportation to the airport, etc. It's more or less one-stop shopping for travel. **The Best Part** The best feature I can find with orbitz.com is it allows me my own little travel area. It shows me the weather in my little corner of the world, and will also show me the weather where I'm traveling or anywhere else I choose. It also has on file all the trips I have booked through orbitz.com. Just yesterday we were wondering when the last time we flew United was, and checked through our past trips on the site to find out. I can check our whole itinerary, including with whom we traveled, our ticket numbers, and our total cost. And last year, I remember thinking we got a good deal, and we paid nearly $200 more altogether than this time. They also have a handy feature called TLC. They will place a call to your cell phone or an email to your PDA at a specified time before your flight, letting you know if you're on schedule. Traveling with kids is tough enough, and with orbitz.com, they seem to take care of more things, so I don't have to.

Do not call Orbitz for reservations. Use the web or don't use!

We recently were without internet service on a long trip, and I called Orbitz to make reservations for the next night.  *I have successfully and happily used their on line service.  I will never do so again because of this experience!  *When we arrived at our reservation, I happened to see the rate on the sign in sheet!  I was SHOCKED by the difference in what Orbitz was being charged and what they will charge me.  It was more than 25%.  I understand the need to charge a reasonable booking fee, but this was outrageous.  Just beware.  We would have been better off  as a walk in ... I've been able to negotiate rates in that case.

OK, so I was naive about this.  But fool me once.....shame on you.  Fool me twice ain't gonna happen!

Not so good

from Hartoford, CT

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I recently booked a vehicle through here, at Avis in Honduras. I took a cab and when I got there, the place said they could not give me the car because they had no electricity. I took the cab back to my hotel, call Orbitz, explained the situation and they said that I had to go back to the airport to get my car since the original location was not available. At the time specified, I took another cab to the airport just to find that there was no Avis there, and they said they did not rent cars from there. While my taxi was waiting, I spent close to an hour on the phone with Orbitz again. The lady told me that the car indeed was there, I told her atleast 10 times how to say the name of the airport. Finally, I asked her what the address was of the airport; it was 4 hours from where I was. I told her that and she hung up on me. Finally, I decided to ask my taxi to take me back to the original destination to see if they were able to rent now, seems it had been 7 hours. They were open. When I went in, the gentleman did not know how to charge my credit card properly. Finally, he punched in the numbers instead of swiping (which my bank customer service rep told him to do). Needless to say, I spent a whole day trying to get my rental car. Very poor customer service, lack of communication with Avis, and soooo unprofessional.

Never use Orbitz!!

from Denver, CO

Comments about Orbitz.com:

Orbitz gives the price you are expected to pay, but when you get there and are charged whatever the company wants to charge, Orbitz doesn't hold the company responsible for the charges. You are just out the money. Why bother to book through Orbitz? Spent 2 hours on the phone with the customer service reps in India and accomplished nothing. I was just out an additional $700. Would give zero stars if I could.

Hidden practices, COSTLY

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Orbitz.com:

When booking, they take the first flight in the "scratchpad" and 'authorize it', thus pending funds in your bank account or on your credit limit. This is NOT always the same flight you are actually booking. The representative mentioned in passing this was a mistake they are having and then corrected himself by saying that it was 'a price change'. I then forwarded the flight in the scratchpad that was the exact amount of the authorized funds NOT what I was booking (took a screen shot thankfully). He then said that it's legal because they did not actually remove funds from my bank, only held the funds and it will drop off in 24 hours. Clearly this is known to them, they won't correct it and in the meantime, you go through 3 departments to confirm there is not actual reservation. The other rep told me just to book the one I wanted but make sure my scratchpad has nothing in it. Otherwise, they will again hold funds. Hmmm, so to book the one I actually want, it will not cost me $3500, then get a 'release of authorization' in a day or two for the funds to be released that I never purchased anything for, tried to or even reserved the reservation. Seems 'hinky' to me. No thanks. I'll go elsewhere that only authorizes my funds for purchases I actually agreed to.

Orbitz Travel Insurance is a Scam

from Oklahoma City

Comments about Orbitz.com:

Do not use Orbitz or buy the travel insurance. Its misleading and a scam.My family had a trip planned to drive cross country and for me to fly home then fly back and drive the family home. However we ran into mechanical issues with our car that wiped out our travel budget. when I bought the ticket I also purchased the insurance because I thought it would cover me if anything happened. When I had to cancel the trip I submitted the claim and now I find out I am not covered. In the rejection letter it stated I could file a claim if I was not living. I have yet to figure out how to do that beyond the grave. However, the web page that talks about the insurance, does not list any restrictions. The assumption it gives you is you can cancel your flight and get your money back. So, I am very disappointed in Orbitz for misleading its customers and I will continue to give them bad reviews until they make it right by refunding my money and to rewrite the page. I went back to the site this evening and went through the process of booking a flight so, I could re-read the page about trip cancellation its very misleading. Now it's up to Orbitz and their customer service to make a customer happy again.

Surprisingly wonderful!

from Cleveland, MS

Comments about Orbitz.com:

The experience here was better than most Comfort Inn Hotels! We were here on business but left with pleasure. The staff was wonderful and Desiree was very kind to me and kids as well. we will definitely be back to share the experience once again. Thank you, I recommend that you stay at Comfort Inn when in Cleveland, MS!!

You get what you pay for

from Chico. CA

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I got a great price on my ticket, but the flight has been switched once. Tonight they called and were confused about my connections. I had to explain to them the time change was due to different time zones! They are not professional and you will NOT be talking to an English speaker. India, Africa or somewhere else. Good luck in understanding them. Poor customer service. I won't use them again.

Booking with Orbitz

from Thousand Oaks, California

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I made all my flight and hotel booking thru orbitz for my trip. Online booking for our flight was very easy but you will miss out the rewards program that they offer so when I called them to sign up and if they can apply to my recent purchased they said they can't since the transaction was done, the representatives are all nice and courteous but they don't really do anything to make the customer happy, and they never ask you if there's any promo code they just rush you so you will forget that you have one, that's how I felt when I was about to pay my trip and that's why I forget to mention them about my discount. To make my point across they don't care! Pls give yourself a favor don't book here unless you feel throwing lots of money.

Disappointed with Orbitz

from Cedar. Rapids, Ia

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I was disappointed with Orbitz when we recently booked a trip to Ontario, Ca. We stayed at the Residence Inn. Although it was a nice motel, it didn't have 2 t.v.'s as was advertised through Orbitz. The reason I booked that motel was because it was advertsed through Orbitz that it had 2 t.v.'s. The person at the desk told me that only the penthouse has more than 1 t.v. We booked our flight, room and rental car all together . I was disappointed with our suv. It was supposed to be midsize but it was small. It didn't even have a back up camera.

Horrible customer ex

from Atlanta, Ga

Comments about Orbitz.com:

My flight was double booked. I have called Orbitz office 3 times once disconnected and the other times was left on hold for over an hour and then left and transferred between customer service all to get this double booking refund. I have pictures of the hold time. I need to speak to a supervisor and as soon as I asked for one I was left on hold for the hour. Why does their customer service representatives not have my booking info in front of them. They can clearly see this was double booked because it is the same flight info. I have never been treated so horribly as a customer and as soon as I tried to call back for the 4th time it said the wait time was over 8 minutes!!!!!!! I will be posting about this experience if I do not get a response back immediately from a supervisor on customer review websites and social media with the pictures of the hold times.

bait and switch

from new york

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I had the choice of two return departures. I paid more for the later flight. A few days later I get an email with a flight change to the earlier flight. I called and was told that there would be no refund of the extra that I had paid to be on the later departure and to add salt to the wound the itinerary with the earlier flight dropped even more in price. Their customer service people do not care to help and are for the most part incompetent. I will never book through Orbitz again and will tell everyone I know that they are garbage!