2.2

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Taking the hassle out of traveling

**Intro** I've been using the internet travel service orbitz.com since 2003, which during that time, it was somewhat revolutionary. Now, it may not be as so, but it still keeps me satisfied enough that I don't need to go searching elsewhere. Looking for cheap flights that met with my desired times to fly, I used to check all the travel sites, all the airlines, etc. But once I checked into Orbitz, and it gave me not only exactly what I wanted, but the added little benefits as well, such as my own personal space there, I stayed. **Flights** The primary reason I use orbitz.com is to check for flights. Each time I use it, they seem to have made more and more improvements over the last time. Not that we even travel that much, as it's pretty much confined to a yearly trip to Florida to see my in-laws, and an occasional trip to New Orleans for a long adults only weekend, but we haven't been there since Katrina. And when we traveled to Acapulco, it was graciously arranged and paid for by my parents. The calendar function seems to get easier to use every year, as when you're booking ahead, it's hard to remember dates, which day of the week the 19th falls on, etc. After just putting in the basic info, such as the to and from, the dates, and how many passengers, I'm presented with a list of prices and options, nonstop or one-stop, airlines, etc. I can choose to organize the findings by price, departure time, or shortest flight. Sometimes it even warns you if there are only a few tickets left at that price, just so you can grab it while you're there, otherwise you're likely to lose it if you leave and come back. This most recent time I used orbitz.com, just this past weekend, I was searching for flights to see my in-laws in June. Traveling during Spring Break seems to have gotten very unaffordable. Not only did I find several one-stop flights for $118, not including the taxes and fees, I also found one nonstop for the same price. That's right. Nonstop from Chicago-O'Hare to Orlando for $118 on a red-eye. I played around choosing different date options, keeping my same criteria, but changing the day we were leaving and the day we were coming back. By the time I was done, I found the nonstop flight for $118, traveling from a Monday to a Tuesday the following week. We normally like to spend a few more days there than that, but who could pass up a bargain like that? That was $569.16 out the door.  We decided we wouldn't even be able to drive there for that price with the price of gas what it is. **Hotels and Cars** I've used ortbitz.com to book hotels and cars as well. We stay with my in-laws when we travel to Florida, so I don't need hotel accommodations then, but I've traveled to hotels for a weekend trip "with the girls," or for a wedding. Booking a hotel through orbitz.com is just as easy as booking a flight, as is booking a car. And after booking your flight, you're presented with the option of booking a hotel, car, theme park tickets, transportation to the airport, etc. It's more or less one-stop shopping for travel. **The Best Part** The best feature I can find with orbitz.com is it allows me my own little travel area. It shows me the weather in my little corner of the world, and will also show me the weather where I'm traveling or anywhere else I choose. It also has on file all the trips I have booked through orbitz.com. Just yesterday we were wondering when the last time we flew United was, and checked through our past trips on the site to find out. I can check our whole itinerary, including with whom we traveled, our ticket numbers, and our total cost. And last year, I remember thinking we got a good deal, and we paid nearly $200 more altogether than this time. They also have a handy feature called TLC. They will place a call to your cell phone or an email to your PDA at a specified time before your flight, letting you know if you're on schedule. Traveling with kids is tough enough, and with orbitz.com, they seem to take care of more things, so I don't have to.

Do not call Orbitz for reservations. Use the web or don't use!

We recently were without internet service on a long trip, and I called Orbitz to make reservations for the next night.  *I have successfully and happily used their on line service.  I will never do so again because of this experience!  *When we arrived at our reservation, I happened to see the rate on the sign in sheet!  I was SHOCKED by the difference in what Orbitz was being charged and what they will charge me.  It was more than 25%.  I understand the need to charge a reasonable booking fee, but this was outrageous.  Just beware.  We would have been better off  as a walk in ... I've been able to negotiate rates in that case.

OK, so I was naive about this.  But fool me once.....shame on you.  Fool me twice ain't gonna happen!

I will NEVER use orbitz again. Ever. The person I in the!

from Panama City, Fl

Comments about Orbitz.com:

Orbitz sucks and I would not recommend it to anyone ever even in an emergency. We are in a dangerous and filthy area in Memphis TN. Room is so nasty we are using the towels as a boardwalk to avoid stepping on the filthy carpet. Sleeping on top of the bed covers using the blanket we brought from home as a barrier. The halls and lobby are not air conditioned & the unventilated room's a/c was off when we arrived. We have been here for fourteen hours now and our room is still hot and stuffy with a/c barely running. Thermostat is just for looks, no matter what you set it on a weak lukewarm stream of stuffy air trickles out. Wish I had booked with anyone except orbitz.

Cancellation plan is a farce

from Omaha, ne

Comments about Orbitz.com:

booked flights on Orbitz, purchased cancellation plan for 19 dollars, when it came time to cancel for reasons beyond my control, yes you guessed no refund

I will never use Orbitz again

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I booked a hotel with Orbitz for a property with a swimming pool and fitness facility. I later found out from a competing site that both the pool and fitness facility on the property I booked were under construction and had not even been built yet. I immediately called Orbitz and after an hour later, was told that cancellation had to be by three weeks earlier. I patiently explained that this was false advertising and how I had just found out (and confirmed with the property) that the amenities advertised were not available. Orbitz gave me the old song and dance about how they had to get permission from the property to cancel - even though it was Orbitz who took my money. I finally just cancelled with my credit card company. Very sad. Corporate profit means more than consumer satisfaction or even fair bargaining for what was advertised.

Orbitz very poor customer service

from Pawcatuck, CT

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I called them within minutes of booking my travel about a mistake I made during booking but they indicated their system was down and to call back in 4 hours, so I did and they told me the same thing. I tried to call another time with no luck due to a storm. I finally reached them the 4th time after waiting over 20 minutes and my request got referred out. I finally got a reply 2 days later via email saying my request to change was denied because I didn't get in touch with them soon enough and they had no records of me trying to reach them in the past. Unless you are 100% accurate with your booking and have absolutely no intent on changing anything, do NOT book with Orbitz or their affiliated companies Expedia and Travelocity as working with them is ridiculous. Very poor customer service!

Bait and switch. Never Again Orbitz

from san francisco, ca

1 star should be zero!
I made reservations on Orbitz for a trip to Aruba, 2 tkts lvg at 11:50pm on United at $1934. When I got my conf, dep. had change to 12:55 a.m. and duration of 35 hrs as opposed to 12 hrs; which so I immediately called CS, but there was nothing that could be done so I canceled.

24 hrs later, I again found the EXACT itinerary at $2064 r/t. Being very CAREFUL in booking and before pressing ENTER for pymt, I check the upper right side where it details the out/inbound flight details. < ENTER>

To my dismay, I was defaulted back again to the incorrect flight with a 35 hour trip duration.

Called to escalate, the supervisor told me when he traces the flight, it shows 11:40pm departure somehow defaults to a 12:55am flight (system glitch).I spoke with a 2nd level mgr who told me there is nothing they can do except refund me again. YOUR SYSTEM GLITCH AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO????? they are blaming United but it's YOUR system. YOU are the agent for United. NEVER AGAIN ORBITZ NEVER.....

bad service

from nh

Comments about Orbitz.com:

This company is so unbelievable, after they sent me a confirmation in my email, when I went to pick up the car they did not have one available. I ended up renting from another company , spending a lot of time on the phone to get my money back (they charged me $30 travel protection)

Orbitz Lies

from Wisconsin

Comments about Orbitz.com:

DO NOT use Orbitz at all, for anything, ever. They will lie and keep your money and do everything they can to put you off. I was told on the phone I would get a refund, after 3 months, I figured out I did not receive it. I called back, and they said it would take two weeks to process the claim. They say they record every conversation and when I asked to listen to the "refund" conversation, they stated that it is for their purposes only. They never return the calls they say they will or hang up on you when they say they are transferring the call. By far the WORST company I have ever had to deal with. The rating would be zero if I could.

Orbitz IS THE WORST!!!!!!!

from Atlanta

Comments about Orbitz.com:

When calling to book a flight, customer service will hold you on the phone talking so long, that the prices increase before they can confirm your reservation, and this is after they've taken your credit card information. Also, If you called about a price you saw online they will tell you that those prices changed and they are increasing by every second that you are on the phone. They will rip you off and will not refund you your money.

Not so good

from Hartoford, CT

Comments about Orbitz.com:

I recently booked a vehicle through here, at Avis in Honduras. I took a cab and when I got there, the place said they could not give me the car because they had no electricity. I took the cab back to my hotel, call Orbitz, explained the situation and they said that I had to go back to the airport to get my car since the original location was not available. At the time specified, I took another cab to the airport just to find that there was no Avis there, and they said they did not rent cars from there. While my taxi was waiting, I spent close to an hour on the phone with Orbitz again. The lady told me that the car indeed was there, I told her atleast 10 times how to say the name of the airport. Finally, I asked her what the address was of the airport; it was 4 hours from where I was. I told her that and she hung up on me. Finally, I decided to ask my taxi to take me back to the original destination to see if they were able to rent now, seems it had been 7 hours. They were open. When I went in, the gentleman did not know how to charge my credit card properly. Finally, he punched in the numbers instead of swiping (which my bank customer service rep told him to do). Needless to say, I spent a whole day trying to get my rental car. Very poor customer service, lack of communication with Avis, and soooo unprofessional.

Never use Orbitz!!

from Denver, CO

Comments about Orbitz.com:

Orbitz gives the price you are expected to pay, but when you get there and are charged whatever the company wants to charge, Orbitz doesn't hold the company responsible for the charges. You are just out the money. Why bother to book through Orbitz? Spent 2 hours on the phone with the customer service reps in India and accomplished nothing. I was just out an additional $700. Would give zero stars if I could.