Other Manual Toothbrushes:
Manual Toothbrushes
Oral-B

Pros

Cons

Does the Oral- B CrossAction Toothbrush Live up to its Claims?

Everyone agrees that it is vitally important to clean and take care of their teeth, but with so many different cleaning devices available, how can one possibly determine which one is best? Electric toothbrushes offer certain advantages, but a manual toothbrush can be just as effective at removing plaque and keeping the mouth healthy. Even among manual toothbrushes there are dozens of choices and one of the more unique tooth- cleaning devices I had the chance to try recently is the **Oral- B Cross- Action Pro- Health Toothbrush**, a large manual toothbrush.

**Toothbrush Commentary:**

Oral- B manufactured this toothbrush in a unique way that supposedly makes it more effective at cleaning teeth and promoting better oral hygiene. Part of its promotional material is its claim that it provides "Seven Benefits for a Cleaner, Healthier Mouth". They are:

- Removes hard to reach plaque
- Reduces gingivitis
- Cleans along gumline
- Polishes away surface stains
- Removes odor causing germs on the tongue
- Stimulates gums
- Gentle on tooth enamel and gums

The Oral- B Cross Action Pro- Health Toothbrush is unique in its design. The handle itself is a little larger than most toothbrushes but what is most unique are the bristles on the head of the toothbrush. There are bristles of differing lengths and bristles than are aimed in different directions. Along with these different rows of bristles are a textured tongue cleaner (one on each side of the toothbrush head). Also, a section of bristles are "indicator" bristles, which means they will gradually change color over time, indicating that it is time to switch to a new toothbrush.

All of these different rows and types of bristles certainly give the Oral- B Cross Action Pro- Health Toothbrush a stylish appearance. But what really counts is the performance. Oral- B has made some very lofty claims about the ability of this brush, and these claims quickly brought my naturally skeptic side to the forefront. How, I wondered, could a manual toothbrush succeed at doing all of these things? Was there something special in those bristles? Or, was this just a bunch of over- hyped marketing to sell a new product?

The only way to find out was to give the toothbrush a try and then check the results. My teeth are still in pretty good shape and I have never had any serious dental problems, so my opinions are based on this perspective (other users, depending on their dental condition, may have a different opinion). Trying out the Oral- B Cross Action Pro- Health Toothbrush for the first time, some aspects of the brush immediately caught my attention. First, it does have a large handle and the head of the brush is also quite large. The head is both wider and longer than most other brushes. I suppose the head needs to be a little bit larger to accommodate the many different rows of bristles. Second, the outside rows of bristles- the so called textured tongue cleaners- look unusual and don't appear to be very comfortable. They look like stiffened plastic, and I wasn't so sure they would feel very good, even if they were effective.

After trying the Oral- B Cross Action Pro- Health Toothbrush for several days, I quickly discovered that these textured tongue cleaning bristles are actually not uncomfortable after all. They do not feel the way they appear. They are actually soft and comfortable and they do an effective job at their assigned task. And as for the rest of the brush, the crisscross action of the bristles does, indeed, lead to a better feeling of clean. A quick check of the teeth following a good, five minute brushing reveals teeth that are virtually plaque free, even at the gumline. The different bristles and their multi- directional design also leads to a massaging sensation as you brush. Your entire mouth feels clean and fresh. The bristles are soft and gentle, even though they have an appearance that is something quite different.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, the Oral- B Cross Action Pro- Health Toothbrush is a very good toothbrush from Oral- B and I am satisfied with the results. Looking back at the seven benefits promised by Oral- B to those who use this toothbrush, I can confirm six out of the seven. The only one I cannot speak for is the effects on gingivitis since I do not have that disease. But the other claims are basically true and my overall experience has proven positive, making the Oral- B Cross Action Pro- Health Toothbrush a toothbrush worth considering for those who want cleaner teeth and a healthier mouth (i.e., almost every one of us).

Big toothbrush. Did I say this thing is big?

I was offered a free Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health toothbrush in return for my unbiased review. I've used the brush at least a dozen times now, so I have a good idea if it will be comfortable for me over the long haul.

I've had lots of dental problems over the years, mostly because I was too lazy and pig-headed to take care of my teeth. My biggest regret is that I didn't take better care of my teeth as a kid, because that would have me in much better dental condition today. All water over the dam, I suppose. I got dental religion about eight years ago and now brush after every meal and snack, maybe as many as five times a day. My teeth -- the gums, really -- responded well to this treatment and what's left of my teeth are in pretty good shape today.

As a frequent brusher, I know that I have to adapt to a new toothbrush on a regular basis. When I first saw the Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health toothbrush, I wasn't sure if I could ever adapt -- this thing is BIG. It's got a big head with several different kinds of bristles and a big fat handle. In fact, it's so big that it is too long for my toothbrush travel case, about 1/4 inch too long. The head is wider and thicker than my current toothbrush, a Reach model.

Sure enough, in my mouth the Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health toothbrush feels big. It has ridges on the back of the head that I guess are to massage the inside of the cheeks, but it just feels bulky and awkward.

The bottom line for me on the Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health toothbrush is that it works as a toothbrush but it just doesn't feel very comfortable to me. If I'm going to brush a lot, I want brushing to feel comfortable and the Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health toothbrush hasn't felt that way in a dozen tries.

Nice brush

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

We like this toothbrush a lot because it does a good job at cleaning the teeth. I bought this brand because it looked like it would give your gums a good massage and be gentle too. I have no complaints about this toothbrush at all. I find that it will clean the hard to reach places in the back of the mouth. The brush really does hold up well for those with a heavy hand at brushing. The bristles are really strong and flexible. I do change our toothbrushes about every three to four weeks and it lasts for us. The handle is long, slender and comfortable to use. The handle will not snap under any pressure at all under normal use. I even use one of these toothbrushes to clean the screen on my juicer with great results. The bristles are comfortable for me and my family. When the brush is dry the bristles do not become stiff at all. The head of the brush maybe a bit large for a child's mouth.

Good product but expensive.

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

I really enjoyed using this product and it does a very good job of cleaning teeth and reaching the in-between spaces. However it was expensive for a tooth brush and like all tooth brushes it wears out after a short while. The cross action does seem to clean the teeth better than a regular toothbrush and when I floss there is less in-between the teeth, so that was a big plus. Around the base of the tooth also seemed cleaner and remained clean while using this toothbrush. I also liked the size of the toothbrush it was not too big for my small mouth and not too overwhelming like many toothbrushes. I also like the white tip part of the toothbrush it was useful for spot cleaning teeth. Overall the design of the toothbrush is very good. With all these wonderful things said I did struggle with the price it is quite expensive for a toothbrush and it does seem to wear out or loose its effectiveness with in about a month and a half. Yes we should take good care of our teeth and it is worth the investment.

Really does an excellent job.

from Toledo, OH

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

The Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush is my go to manual toothbrush. I like this because of the different length bristles on the brush. With the longer bristles in the front, the toothbrush does a great job of getting between teeth even in the very back of my mouth. This makes my mouth feel really clean. The handle of the toothbrush is nice and thick and allows me to get a good grasp on it. I have the medium bristles and they are just right. The bristles are strong enough to do a good job of making sure I don’t get plaque buildup but yet the bristles are not too hard that they irritate my gums. They actually kind of massage my gums. The Oral-B CrossAction toothbrush also cleans the inside of my mouth with the way the head is set up. It gives a nice all over clean feeling. It is not expensive either so I replace mine about every 2 months and I don’t feel guilty about the cost.

Feels Great!

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

I love this product. I originally got one at a good price and anticipated it being like a standard toothbrush. I was wrong. This toothbrush takes general dental hygiene to a whole new level. The first time I used it I was like "Wow"! The bristles seemed to reach the unreachable places in my mouth. The sensation was invigorating. I felt like I was cleaning places that had apparently been neglected in all previous brushings! I was raving about the experience immediately after and my husband found it amusing. After a week of singing its praises, he requested one, too. Now we both brush using this toothbrush and it still feels great. It is like my gums are getting a deep massage. My teeth are certainly cleaner. When I first used it, the brush felt good, but it also felt a little awkward because the head set up is different than a conventional brush. There is more to it. There are more angles. various bristle types and bristle materials that are used in composing the toothbrush head. After time passed, it didn't feel strange, just good. These last about as long as a standard toothbrush.

An Acceptable Toothbrush, But With Shortcomings

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

I have been using the Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health manual toothbrush for about a year, having picked up a package of them at Costco. In that time, I think I have gotten a fairly good idea of both the good and bad points of this toothbrush.

When one of these brushes is new, it does a fairly good job of cleaning most of my mouth (but not all), with the bristle design being fairly effective at scrubbing away the build-up on my teeth. Additionally,the grip handle is a nice touch that makes it fairly easy to hold on to the brush while using it, more so than traditional toothbrush handles.

However, this toothbrush also has a few notable shortcomings. It is not that durable or long-lasting, as the bristles get bent and matted down fairly quickly, often in less than a month of normal use, and once that happens, the toothbrush becomes much less effective. Furthermore, there are a few places in the mouth where this brush does not do a very good job of reaching, such as right up against the gums, and the effort to specifically reach those areas only accelerates the bristle wear.

Perhaps a version with stiffer bristles would work better for me, if I could find it, but because of the flaws of this brush despite its good points, I will keep looking for a better brush.

Bristles Galore

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

I absolutely love the bristles on the Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Toothbrush. The varying lengths are so much more effective at getting into the deep grooves of my molars as well as back behind my teeth in those hard-to-reach spots. Even though I had braces as a kid, my teeth shifted and are a bit crooked. Because of this, some teeth overlap leaving a space for plaque to sneak in and build up. The pointed bristles of the CrossAction brush are able to get into the crevices and really remove everything.
This brush feels great on my gums and doesn't cause them to bleed. I'd rate it as a medium grade as far as bristle rigidity. I'd prefer just a bit softer, but I love the cut of the bristles.
The pointed tip serves almost as a toothpick to effectively go between teeth. My teeth feel cleaner and my gums seem healthier after using this brush.
The only issue I have is with the indicator bristles. I wonder about the chemicals that make the bristles fade and am concerned that I am ingesting those chemicals when I brush my teeth.

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

My children were each given an Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health manual toothbrush from the Dentist a few weeks ago. I trust my dentist and his advice and this manual toothbrush did not disappoint. Firstly, it comes in some attractive packaging which is not too girly. It has 'cross action" which is when the bristles are angled in two different directions. This helps with plaque and food particles in hard to reach places. I think this is an innovative design especially in light of the fact that kids are not altogether effective at brushing their teeth at this age. It has a super grip handle with finger notches and the handle itself is really sturdy. There is also a textured tongue cleaner on the reverse side of the brush which helps to remove odor-causing terms on your tongue. They have now been using the brush for a few weeks and the bristles are holding up well. They aren't bent or flattened in the slightest in spite of the fact that they are labeled "soft". I would highly recommend this toothbrush.

Great, sturdy toothbrush that lasts.

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

This toothbrush is comfortable to hold. It is not too skinny, nor too chunky. It fits well into a toothbrush holder. The head is also a great size for reaching the hardest, far-back teeth. It is a good quality toothbrush. The bristles, which on some toothbrushes get easy bent, stay strong even on a "soft-bristled" brush.

Fresh

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

I Llve my Oral B tooth brush. I have been using Oral B tooth Brushes for over 10 years and it is hard for me to switch brands. The brush reaches that very back molar, the one dentists say most often forget to brush. It cleans between the teeth also and under my receeded gums. It was recommended by my dentist and dental hygenist many moons ago. I like brushing manually better than Electrically. I feel the vibrations of an electic tooth brush make my brain vibrate!

Oral-B 7-In-1 makes me smile more!

from Houghton Lake, MI

Comments about Oral-B CrossAction Pro-Health Manual Toothbrush:

I am very skeptic as to which soft bristle toothbrushes are gentle enough on my gums but get the job done and last without me having to brush so much longer than needed to remove any plaque or food between my teeth and still have that deep clean feeling without irritating my gums, regretting a good brushing experience. I purchased this toothbrush and will never use another brush as long as they produce them. I have never had such a soothing effect that is gentle and long lasting. This brush really gets the job done for me and also has a tongue and cheek cleaner that lets you know it is removing any as I call stains on your tongue. It really leaves my mouth feeling clean, in the end it's like I've brushed my teeth, flossed and rid my tongue of any after taste.