2.9
Other Clothings:
Grocery Websites
Omaha Steaks
OmahaSteaks.com

Summary

OmahaSteaks.com

Omaha SteaksOmahaSteaks.com

2.9

Pros

Cons

• Product Selection:
    • Product Pricing:
    • Customer Service:
    • Shipping and Returns:

Omaha Steaks - They Do Me Right - Meat and Sides.

I was not so sure about buying meat online, but several years back I got a great coupon deal from Omaha Steaks. They would send the meat plus a cutting board, steak knives and a cookbook. With all that, I thought I'd give it a try.

I ordered in the summer, so I was worried about that. I could imagine a mess on my porch (spoiled meat) and the dogs tearing at the box. That was not a problem. Omaha Steaks sends the stuff in a cooler. I suppose it could get damaged, but it would sure take some work. I still use the coolers they have sent over the years, and they hold up.

The meat is very good. I can get comparable here in town and avoid shipping costs. On the other hand, this is really convenient and also can be sent to friends and relatives. I sure wouldn't want to try to pack up meat and send it myself.

The main reason, I confess, that I continue to watch for sales from Omaha Steaks and buy is that they have [au gratin potatoes][1] . I wouldn't really call them that. I would call them potato pancake balls. That's what they remind me of. And, I can't manage to duplicate them even though I've tried. The inside is soft like mashed potatoes, and the outside is slightly crispy but not really hard.

My youngest son adores the potato pancake balls from Omaha Steaks, and they often have them on sale with purchases. He is thrilled when we have some of these.

It is kind of expensive to order meat online, but they do have to pack and with dry ice. I'm surprised that they can keep the costs as low as they do. Although I do bargain shop and watch prices, I do shop at Omaha Steaks. They are always on target with the food and get it out fast and packed well. Since I can't get those potato balls anywhere else, that's what keeps me in the loop. The meat is good too, but I watch for the specials on the potatoes and then order.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Omaha-Steak-Online-Potatoes-au-Gratin-review-70e4

Omaha Steaks Online: Good Food, but Could Cause Budget Shock

I make many online purchases each month, but one type of merchandise I rarely purchase through the internet is food. The prices on food items purchased via the world wide web are usually higher than those charged by local stores and the added shipping charges often pull the price up to a level that is unacceptable. Of course, there will always be exceptions to my no-food-shopping-on-the-internet rule, and one of them is **Omahasteaks.com**.   ** ****Online Store Commentary:**** ** Omaha Steaks Online is one of a handful of online merchants of which most everyone is aware. It would be difficult to avoid the onslaught of e-mail from Omahasteaks.com. I cannot count the hundreds of times I have seen offers from Omaha Steaks Online in my e-mail inbox. I always deleted the offers, because the prices were too high. But the constant nagging kept Omahasteaks.com in the back of my mind nonetheless.    It took the receipt of a gift card for Omahasteaks.com to convince me to give in and make a purchase. It had been a while since I had logged into this store, so I had to refresh myself with its offerings. Everyone knows that Omaha Steaks Online sells steaks and I knew it also offered other meat items as well, but what I didn't realize was how large the variety of other options was at Omaha Steaks Online. In the beef category alone, there are sub- categories such as filet mignon, strip steak, top sirloin, burgers, etc. Each of these sub- categories expands to reveal another level of options within each. The same is true in the Poultry, Veal/Pork/Lamb, and other sections.

Omaha Steaks Online is all about buying meat items in bulk, but one thing that bothers me a little bit is that the per- unit cost doesn't change much when you purchase a larger quantity. As most every shopper already knows, it is common for retailers to drop the per unit cost when you buy in bulk, but Omaha Steaks Online doesn't always offer discounts when you purchase more and this certainly takes away some of the incentive to buy a larger quantity. This isn't always the case at Omaha Steaks Online, and there are some exceptions. However, others do not and this inconsistency in pricing discounts is something the site needs to improve.  Speaking of prices, Omaha Steaks Online certainly isn't cheap. The cost of the food is greater than what you would pay at your local grocer. Even though the food does taste good, I don't know if the taste justifies the high cost. Omaha Steaks Online usually offers something free with each order and the most common free offer is for either 6 or 4, four oz. burgers. This can help take some of the sting out of the higher prices, but the overall cost is still going to be quite a bit more than you are used to paying at the grocery store. Not only that, but the shipping charges are quite high. Yes, the items do arrive in a reusable styrofoam container and the meat is kept chilled all the way to your door. But the added shipping can easily make the cost of doing business with Omaha Steaks Online uneconomical.   Omaha Steaks Online does offer an overstock section with some reduced priced items and the site also offers complete meal deals that include the meat and side dishes. These special offers and meal deals are the way to go when you shop at Omaha Steaks Online because they help to make the total cost a little more economical. I like to compare it to dining out as opposed to shopping for the same items in the grocery store. True, the food has to be cooked, but a complete meal makes it seem more comparable to a restaurant carryout plan and this makes the price not seem so bad.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Omaha Steaks Online is a costly place to shop for food. It is best to avoid the more expensive shipping options because the base shipping is already very costly and it should arrive very quickly regardless. The quality of the food is very good, but with a total cost that greatly exceeds the cost at a local grocery store, Omaha Steaks Online may not fit into every family's budget.

Packaging

from Brownsville TX

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

Have bought Omaha Steaks products for years. Product good...once you finally remove the pressure sealed plastic. OMG! This stuff requires a small collection of tools! Evidently some slick smooth talking PR guy has convinced Omaha Steaks that the so-called "easy to open fresh packaging" is just that. Not! My usual assortment of tools required to remove this tuff is: scissors, knife, ice pick. What's next a chain saw? The alleged "easy to pull apart tabs" are next to useless and sometimes not even evident. How must those with limited dexterity such as elderly, arthritic and other maladies supposed to remove this film? Product packaging has become a joke with almost everything. Start looking somewhere else for products that don't require a small explosive charge to open them.

Crock pot meal

from Chicago

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

Ordered beef bourginon crock pot meal. Cooked it according to instructions. Beef was very chewy. Had to cook it for another 2 hours before it was done. Also very salty. Won't order again

Bait & Switch?

from Gaithersburg, MD

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

I've purchased and sent Omaha Steaks many times over the years (online) but I'm now beginning to feel like there's a bit of bait & switch going on. I receive emails frequently stating that there is free shipping and/or a certain percentage off an order if a certain dollar amount is purchased. HOWEVER, upon checkout (EVERY TIME) there is no free shipping or any amount taken off. Only a space to put my credit card. Calls to the 1-800 number listed on the website resulted in being put on hold for 20 min., before I finally hung up. Omaha Steaks, you've lost a long time customer.

Never again

from Atlanta,GA

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

I didn't receive a sample. I paid for an order but I wasn't given that option when writing the review. The portions are tiny!! Go to the grocery store!!! If I didn't have to pay the shipping the price might have been ok. But the quality is better at the grocery store. I got sucked into by the sales pitches. Don't be!!!

Lasagna

from Billings Mt

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

This was the absolute worse thing to order the frozen at store 500 percent better
I would not and will not order this agaib

I really like the food and the convenience.

from Youngstown, Ohio

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

I have been purchasing from Omaha Steaks for 3 months now and I really like the quality, presentation and taste of the steaks and potatoes. I have read many negative views on this site which I honestly can not understand. As a result, I did more research and stand by my 4 to 5 star rating. thanks Omaha for the convenience and the quality.

Highly over priced and over rated

from Santa Fe

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

We have been cooking meats in the Sous Vide way for more than a year. This cooks any meat perfectly every time, even the low quality cuts! I decided to give Omaha Steaks a try since it was supposed to be 'aged to perfection'. The steaks arrived on time and in good shape. We cooked the fillet the usual way. The meat came out tough, not better than the very low cut meats we have cooked. I believe it is priced any where from 8 to 10 times the price of supermarket meat, which would yield same or better result than Omaha steaks.
We use Anova Sous VIde equipment, Google it if you are meat lover, would not regret it.

Stiffed Sole Fillets

from Ledyard, CT

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

I received a package as a Christmas gift which included #847, the stuffed sole. Tasted ok but there were boned in them. Do not care for bones in a piece of fish in which I don't expect any.

BUYER BEWARE

from DRACUT MA

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

PRICES ARE RIP OFF GO ON LINE CHECK SAME PRODUCTS CHEAPER ON LINE. I GOT CALL FROM ORDER TAKER PROMOTION WAS MORE MONEY THEN ADVERTIZED ON LINE TRIED USEING 20 DOLLAR GIFT DID NOT ACKNOWLEDGE GIFT POOR ORDER DEPT NO SATISFACTION TREAT CUSTOMER BAD LOST MY ACCOUNT NEVER AGAIN

Pass on the ribs

from Lancaster PA

Comments about Omaha Steaks OmahaSteaks.com:

The pork rib family dinner was received as a gift. The ribs were slightly tough and had a strong vinegar odor and taste. The potato au gratin balls were basically mashed potatoes with no cheese flavor.