Other Digital Cameras:
Olympus
Olympus - E-500

Olympus - E-500

Great Value

This was my first DSLR, I now also own the E510 and someday will buy the E3. After upgrading to the E510 I realized  that I like the E500 8 megapixel sensor better. It seems the photo sites on the  8 meg camera are larger thereby giving the 8 meg E500 more sensor  area then my new 10 meg E510. This goes to prove that you can't go by megapixel count alone. Someone mentioned that the lenses for the Olympus were expensive well remember that the anti shake is built into many Olympus Cameras so you don't have to pay for that with each lens like you do with the competitors. With Canon you have to pay for your anti shake with each lens over and over again. Now the E500 doesn't have this feature but the E510 does. Olympus cameras due have a higher noise level at higher ISO's due to sensor size but they also have a better DOF then competitors. All said bottom line is Olympus makes some wonderful cameras with ground breaking inovations that the competition loves to copy, dust reduction and liveview to name a couple. With Olympus you can get much better value then with the C&N's. Also for support check out dpreview.com click on discussion forums Olympus SLR talk where you can always find answers to your questions. Photographers argue all day long over the best system but in the end it's the photographer behind the lens that make a good photo. There are some weak sytems out there but the E500 is one of the good one's and it's easy to learn. This camera or the E510 should satisfy anyone willing to take the time to learn.

Not the quality I was hoping for.

I "upgraded" to this camera after my last digital one was stolen. I like the options available on the E-500, lots of manual settings which I use regularly for low light situations, and I like the interchangeable lenses.

What I don't like is that the photos always seem just slightly off from the crisp look I've been able to get from every other camera - as if the autofocus (which I do tend to use) is slightly off. I haven't figured out a way to adjust for that, and to be honest taking photo after disappointing photo killed my love of photography. The camera was cheaper than other similar competitors, but still expensive enough that I couldn't admit my mistake and just buy another. If you are considering this camera, do some online searching about this model and auto-focus troubles, you will see there are a lot of people having problems with this camera focusing properly.

Not the quality I was hoping for.

from Sterling Heights, MI

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Perfect for a beginner ....

from Deltona, FL

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

My husband bought me this for Christmas last year and I love it. Last year I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, but after sitting and reading through the manual that came with it I slowly learned what each thing did and how to go about taking good pictures. The lenses that come with it are okay, but I'm itching for a 50mm lens for portrait work. It's a strong, sturdy camera. I've had no issues at all with dust on the lens. I love it! Would definitely recommend to an amateur digital photographer looking to get into the world of the DSLR's

Great starter digital SLR.

from Bensalem, PA

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

If you are just getting into digital photography and learning how to use an SLR, the E-500 camera is a great investment. You have your choice of information that can be shown on the LCD screen (full info, just the basic info, or info off) so that you aren't inundated with information you may not need. The lenses use the four-thirds mount, so there are a lot of lens options out there from third parties. You can use either compact flash or sd memory cards with the camera. The dust reduction feature has proved useful, and it's able to be turned off if you prefer a speedier start-up over clarity. The battery seems to last a long enough time for me, though if you are using it all day, you may need a spare. The white balance can be set simply with a button, which saves time. I prefer using the camera in manual mode (rather than Auto or Scene mode), and I'm not disappointed with the results. Camera also "feels" the closest to a film SLR than any other DSLR I have used.
My only negatives for the E-500 are the lack of detail in macro mode (especially compared to my Canon Rebel DSLR and point and shoot digital cameras). It might be worth investing in a macro lens if you plan on doing any detailed close-up photography. Also the software that comes with the camera leaves something to be desired. Skip it.

I love this camera.

from Vail, AZ

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

After doing months of research and going between the Nikon, the Canon and the Olympus, I found this camera to be the best and give you the most bang for your buck. The kit lenses are great. The only down side I have found is that all the manuals and books are really geared towards the other two cameras. It is difficult to figure everything out from your manual only. I ended up taking a photography class to learn all the manual settings.

Love it!

from New York, NY

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

This is a great entry-level digital camera that produces high-quality images. The camera comes with a wide array of features that establish it as a legitimate challenge to Nikon's and Canon's high-quality digital camera, which everyone seems to have these days. Although, some usability issues with this camera prevent me from wholeheartedly recommending this camera over some of Canon's and Nikon's digital cameras.

I very much enjoy using this camera, although i find some of the camera's aspects of its design and performance a bit frusterating. the camera's response to the control wheel is very sluggish, and I struggled when trying to adjust the lens manually. Also, images shot at high ISO settings at 800 or 1600 were less than stellar, despite using the noise reduction function. The price and quality of the E-500's kits are hard to beat.. although, old-school photographers whole may like to shoot manually may find this camera too slow to respond. All in all, a great price for a great camera.

Easy to use, worth the price"

from Lake Mary, FL

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

Easy to use.  Has all the options you could want at more resonable price than the competition. I like the fact that it uses a compact flash instead of an sd card, its less expensive and takes a lot more pictures.  The popart setting also makes for great fun photos.

Great for the Money

from Worcester, MA

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

I like the feel and weight of this camera, a little slow in when attempting to take action and fast changing subjects. I've taken some very good pictures with camera, for low light you will need a better lens than what comes with this camera. The camera is user friendly, and comes with loads of functions.

Takes the best pictures!

from Portage, MI

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

Taking pictures of different things is one of my favorite things to do. It is very nice because I am able to relax while I capture moments that I will treasure for the rest of my life. I bought this camera because I knew it was a high quality brand that would take very good pictures. I was not disappointed and the camera takes very nice pictures. The other nice part about this camera is that the batteries last a long time. When I put in new batteries, I can be sure that they will last me a very long time. The camera takes clear pictures, even if what I am taking a picture of is in fast motion. Learning to use this camera was very easy and it was a hard thing for me to do. The lens is strong and it can zoom to a very close range. The camera itself is very strong and when I use it, I can be assured that it will last me for many years. The camera is light weight and easy to carry inside a camera case I bought for it.

I love this camera so much I call it my baby

from Harlingen, TX

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

I cannot say enough good things about this camera. I have had mine for about four years now and I love it! Compared to the other cameras in this range of SLR out there, the Olympus e- 500 is a much. much  better value. I love both lens that it came with and I use them both often in my shooting. This camera has held up under almost full time use as a newspaper photographer and then as a wedding photographer. It is easy to handle and use and if you have a question, I have found some great online forums about anything I could think of.

The Olympus E-500 is great for the beginning SLR shooter but has the function that makes Pros love it too. I love this camera so much that I call it my baby! This camera has made me an olympus supporter through and through. This is a camera that will always being in my studio. I cannot even bear the thought of every selling it. It is just so easy and fun to use!

Best camera i've ever used

from Muskegon, MI

Comments about Olympus - E-500:

I have had my olympus for about a year now and I just really cant come up with anything bad to say about it.

This camera was my first D-SLR and it replaced my olympus OM-10

This is the first digital camera that I have used that actually can compare with the quality of the 35mm om-10

The first photo is from my E-500.

the second, (black & white)  from my 35mm

you be the judge.

There will be more updates to come