Other Cookwares:

Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Handling:

My Oneida pizza stone helps make a crispier crust.

My family is on a resrticted-sodium diet, so we decided to experiment with making salt-free pizza dough.  We bought a pizza stone in hopes it would make the crust tastier.  It does help crisp the crust better.  I've also baked bread directly on the pizza stone with great success.

The biggest negative about this pizza stone is the round shape. I had debated between the round stone and a rectangular one, and chose the round since I like round pizza.  However, about 1/2 to 1 inch of the stone sticks out beyond the oven rack.  This does not interfere with closing the oven door, but it still makes me uncomfortable.  In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the rectangular pizza stone instead.

Included with the pizza stone was a metal holder kind of thing.  I still have no clue what you are supposed to do with it. I guess maybe it is meant to be a trivet, but we always remove our pizza or bread and then allow the stone to cool in the oven.  It's not something I would find attractive as a serving plate.

the oneida pizza stone is great for home pizza makers

This is one of the cheaper pizza stones I found. I purchased it because I was looking for a crispier crust on my pizza. The stone have improved the crisp I get on the crust but I don't think it does any better job than turning a cast iron skillet upside down and using it. I don't like that I have to heat my oven up slowly and then let it stay at the high heat for about half an hour to get the stone good and hot. I just don't like how it keeps my house hot. Infact I rarely use it in the summer time. But it does deliver on what it promises. I actually use it more for baking buscuits in the morning because I can pull it out of the over and serve my biscuits off the stone and they stay really warm. It is also good for reheating pizza without it becomeing soggy as it can when put in the microwave. So I am really torn about recommending the pizza stone. Its why I gave it 3 stars. It absolutely 100% delivers on all the claims. However all the unintened side effects (hot kitchen, difficult to clean) makes me think this is something that is so easily replaceable with more functional sookware that we don't need it. I will probably give mine away.

Great pizza stone for great tasting pizza!

from Sneads Ferry, NC

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

I have owned my Old Stone round oven pizza stone for years now and I have loved every minute of it!
I make a variety of different pizzas on my pizza stone including regular crust, stuffed crust, and thin crust. It's extremely easy to use and doesn't require cooking spray because pizza does not stick to this pan! I like to put this in the oven while it preheats and then toss my pizza on top of it after it's finished preheating. It cooks all of my pizzas thoroughly and makes the crust have a very airy and crispy texture like at a restaurant.
This pizza stone is very durable, I use mine at least once every other week and have owned it for several years and it's still in very good condition.
It's a little bit heavy so it can make handling it a little difficult at times like when removing it from the oven but once you get used to the weight it becomes easier to handle. It can get a little heavy when cleaning as well but other then that it's easy to clean. Baked on pizza comes off easily!
Overall, I would definitely recommend the Old Stone round oven pizza stone for anyone that likes to make homemade pizzas.

Recreates the pizza taste

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

There is such a bad rap for frozen pizza, but with this, you can somewhat replicate the taste of the pizza from your local pizzeria that uses a blast furnace to cook it.

It works as described. Best practice would be to make your own pizza and make it extremely thin crusted, like the authentic pizza in Italy and let it cook for several minutes.

I haven't been disappointed yet. The stones are soft but there is some porosity in it, so it can stain. Be careful because if you spill the sauces, it will be embedded in the stones. Having squeeky clean stones would be very hard to achieve. Wash this in hot water and let it air dry.

You could sand it off if you want to produce a brand new surface. The crust tastes excellent though. Thin and crispy.

You can also season a pizza stone to get some flavoring from it. Never wash with soap because it will become part of the stone and your food will have soap in it. You can let the juices of the pizza fall and don't wipe it, if you want to retain the flavor, so that each time you use it, the flavor will get burned to the stone and can help season the pizza.

• Ease of Handling:

No home should be without a pizza stone

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

We have had this pizza stone for years. As long as you don't drop it, it should last you a long, long time. It ages gracefully, but don't fret that it gets dirty looking with time. It's supposed to. Everything you cook on it will eventually stain it, and you will NOT be able to get the discoloration out of it. It's like a fine patina or like when you season cast iron cookware. The more you use it, the more you'll like it and find so many diverse things for it to bake.

Doesn't Stick
Depends what you're cooking on it. If the cheese over flows from pizza, it will stick. It's easy to clean off with a scouring pad or just letting it soak a bit. We use ours mostly for baking bread, and if you put a layer of corn meal underneath (as you can do with pizza, too) the bread NEVER sticks AT ALL!

Heat Distribution
We find it cooks VERY evenly. It's always best, if you can, to preheat the stone for 15-20 minutes before you put your item on it.

Ease of Handling
It's heavy and gets hot. Invest in some good oven mitts.

Takes some rough cleaning. Being stone, it doesn't scratch.

Fits a nice sized pizza.

Stone will last you as long as stone will as long as you don't drop or chip it.

• Ease of Handling:

If you make home pizza, it is a must have.

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

To get that browned pizza bottom and even cooking, a pizza stone is absolutely necessary.

Doesn't Stick
Your pizza will not stick as long as the dough as no holes to make sauce or cheese leak through and burn. I would also highly recommend heating the stone in the oven 1 hour before putting a pizza on it and using a pizza screen to make your pizza on or use a wooden pizza peel.

Heat Distribution
Once the stone is heated for an hour the stone is the perfect temperature and evenly browns the pizza bottom. If you put two stones in the oven it will make your baking even, almost like an oven within an oven. I leave my stone in the oven all the time and cook on top of it for everything.

Ease of Handling
The stone is not too heavy but when it is hot it can be dangerous to handle. It does not have any built in handles like many other stones but that is a good thing, the handles get in the way of your pizza placement and pizza screen.

The stone will stay clean because the heat of oven will burn off the food, but you can place it in the sink and scrape the stone if you need to, I always leave my stone in the oven and cook on it for everything.

The design is alright but a square that is larger would be the best. It does not have those metal handles on it which is a plus, while the handles may seem like a good thing they are actually a hinderance and make placement of pizzas difficult. It is also a flat stone instead of having a pressed in design that can cause pizzas to sink into the design and adhere to the stone, A flat design is best and will make you love using a pizza stone

It will last for ever as long as your careful, it can crack from being placed on an uneven surface or from putting the hot stone in cold water or from dropping on a hard surface. If you just leave them in the oven and use them as a base for all your cooking they should last years and years.

• Ease of Handling:

This makes pizza turn out with a great, crispy crust.

from Henderson, KY

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

I bought a pizza stone because I had heard so much about them. My pizzas always seemed to burn on top before they were done in the middle. With the stone, my pizzas have come out nice and crispy crust, done all the way through, The stone is super easy to wash and the pizza slides right off of it. I wish I had had one for years.

I cried when I broke my pizza stone...

from Baytown, TX

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

My old stone round oven pizza stone made the best pizza. I would put generic or Digorno nock offs on it and it would cook up wonderfully and evenly. It also looked pretty cool when folks would come over for pizza and they would see that in the oven. I would hear comments like, "you must eat a lot of pizza." Some said it in awe, other looking at me like I'm a porker. But it all changed when they tasted the pizza that this cooked. It would be so crisp on the outside and yet so soft and tender on the inside. It would cook evenly, even in my old crusty oven. It traveled well until I moved out of my apartment into another apartment and it broke in transit and I was very upset needless to say, but he hsa been replaced but not forgotten.

Old Pizza Stone makes wonderful pies!

from Rochester, NY

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

If there is one addiction I have, it's pizza. I've tried pizza from all over the world, but also love to experiment at home with different crusts and toppings. It works great if baking frozen pizzas, and I have to admit that making the crust fresh is best. I also use this to warm up left over pizza because the microwave makes the whole thing soggy. Usually leftover pizza can taste just as good the next day with the stone.

This stone makes the crust nice and crispy, and turns it a nice golden brown. Clean up can be a little tricky, but what I love about the stone is that starts to retain that smell of pizza.

Whether you into making fresh pies, frozen, or heating up leftovers, this stone works great! Thumbs up!

the oneida pizza stone is great for home pizza makers

from Hermitage, TN

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

The pizza stone is great for those making homemade pizzas

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

I received my pizza stone as a wedding present and absolutely love it. I use it quite frequently when I am making pizzas from scratch as it really helps prevent the crust and the bottom from burning (it helps the pizza cook evenly). The stone itself is really easy to use and is very durable. It ways a lot though so it definitely requires two hands to put it in the oven. I had to read the instructions befeore the first use, but from then on it has been really easy to utilize. One of the down sides to the pizza stone is the way you have to clean it. Unfortunately this is not dishwasher safe, and frankly, you are apparently not supposed to use soap as it takes away from the flavor of the pizza. This seems questionable to me as you are supposed to use hot water. Otehr than that though the pizza stone has been a great addition to my kitchen and I would recommend it to other pizza makers as it is a useful tool.

Pizza Stone, works great!

Comments about Old Stone Round Oven Pizza Stone:

I just got my pizza stone for Christmas. I don't make regular pizza. I make pizza's on Weight Watchers Pita Pockets. I tried it out tonight. It did a nice job making the crust crispy and cooking the ingrediants. Melting the cheese yummy and bubbily. I normally use the Nuwave oven and can only do 3 pizza's at a time, but it does a nice job on my mini pizza's. I like how they came out on the pizza stone a little better. Plus I can make 4 at a time.

I am not sure for the summer though. You have to use the oven and that will get the kitchen too hot. This is great for Fall, Spring and especially Winter. It takes along time to cool.

My cousin told me I needed to bake it in the oven until it turned a light brown color. Mine didn't turn light brown and it did not say that in the directions. There were no other directions in my box except what was on the stone it's self. I like to cook the newness off of things so I did it.

Cleaning is just very difficult. Stains from tomato sauce just don't come off.