Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:

Olay Fresh Effects Shine, Shine Go Away! Shine Minimizing Cleanser

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Application:

Leaves skin a little less glowy but it helps with the shine

I received this in a basket full of goodies for Christmas and it took me a while to get around to using it. I noticed immediately that my skin doesn't look as glowy after this product but it does what it claims, it reduces the shine of oily skin dramatically. I like that I don't look sweaty or oily but I don't like that my skin just looks kind of blasé. It doesn't have any perk to if I want to go fresh faced. Other cleansers tend to leave me glowy but this one just tightens my face a little. It does seem to leave my cheeks a little pink but that may just be a reaction to the tightening feeling it gives.

Overall, if you have super oily skin, I say go for it. It takes the oil away and you aren't shiny at all but it just doesn't leave me looking dewy. I don't have very oily skin to begin with so that may be why this left me with more to desire. It definitely eradicated all signs of oil but I want a product that can leave me fresh and looking perky.

It definitely removes the oil and shine. It lathered well and left me dryish.

Ease of Application
Very easy to use. Simply apply to hands, lather, and wash face with it. Simple enough.

It actually has a very good scent to it. It's invigorating to smell and tingly on the face which feels nice. The scent doesn't stick around long either.

I hated it, but my teen loved it.

Oil of Olay is a product I really like, so I was excited to try this cleanser. I had high hopes too. I have combination skin and some areas are really dry. I need moisture in certain areas, but my T Zone area is the part that gets very oily. What I noticed about this cleanser is that although it does take some of the shine away, it is just temporary. By the end of the day, my skin felt very oily. It was actually a bit disgusting. Another aspect I was not too pleased with was that it takes away the shine, but it made my skin look dull. It lacked luster. It looked washed out. I refuse to use a product that will take away from my skin rather then add to it. My teenager used and and she seemed to like it very much, but then again, they have that youthful glowing skin and do not need much to add a boost. She, on the other hand, really enjoyed it. She said it kept her skin less greasy. What's the verdict?? Great for some, but not for others. I was not satisfied with it.

Yes, it does take some shine away temporarily, but I felt it made my skin look dull and lifeless.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply. Squeeze onto hands, apply and wash.

I enjoyed the scent. Very fresh scent.

great for getting rid of excess oil

Pros

• Gentle
  • Leaves Clean Feel
  • Not Greasy

Cons

• Acne-Prone Skin
    • Daily Use
    • Oily Skin

Comments about Olay Fresh Effects Shine, Shine Go Away! Shine Minimizing Cleanser:

This product comes out as a slightly grey color. One of the things I love about this product is a little goes a long way. This product foams up very nicely and continues to foam the more it is lathered. This product definitely helped to eliminate excess oil without drying out skin.

I hated it, but my teen loved it.

from Dallas,TX

Ease of Application
    Very easy to apply. Squeeze onto hands, apply and wash.

I enjoyed the scent. Very fresh scent.

• Ease of Application:

Made me greasy and break out

I had had issues with my face getting greasy by the end of the day. I tried multiple different products including a couple of the subscription kinds. None worked, so I decided to try out this product since I had had good luck with Olay products in the past. At first the Olay Fresh Effects Shine, Shine Go Away! Shine Minimizing cleanser worked okay. Then after a couple of weeks, my face started to majorly break out and be super greasy. I thought maybe it was just a fluke or because of my natural hormonal changes throughout the month. I stopped using it for a little while and when the replacement face wash ran out, I used the Olay Fresh Effects again and my face broke out again in several large welts that took forever and a day to go away. The welts were super painful and I would not wish them upon anyone. I promptly threw the face wash away so I would never make that mistake again.

No distinguishable scent.

• Ease of Application:

Helps my skin during the summer months

I purchased this product because I tend to get very oily during the summer months. While I have normal to oily skin anyway, it gets even more oily with the heat and humidity of summer. I purchased this product thinking that if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out too much money because it's so inexpensive. Well, it turns out that I am obsessed with this cleanser. It really does make the "shine, shine go away!"

This product gives my skin matte appearance, but not so matte that my skin looks fake and dry. It keeps my face non-oily all day, and, as a result, it helps keep my skin blemish-free.

I'm not a big fan of the scent of Olay products in general. They have a fragrance that I'm not too keen on. However, it's really not that noticeable once you've washed the product off your face. For that reason, I can absolutely get past the scent.

If you're looking for a product to help tame oily skin, this is an amazing one to consider!

• Ease of Application:

Works to minimize oil and shine

from Pennsylvania

I like Olay. They have so many good skin care products. Some work for me and some don't. Olay Fresh Effects Shine, Shine Go Away! Shine Minimizing Cleanser works to reduce shine and oil. I have combination skin and this does a great job of keeping my t-zone less oily. However, the rest of my skin tends to get dry patches and this cleanser tended to make them worse. I tried this when it first came out when there were a ton of coupons out there. If you don't have coupons it is more expensive than a lot of comparable facial cleansers.

This product did what it said and reduced shine. I think it stripped too much oil from my skin. This left my skin duller looking and was over drying. I think this cleanser would be good if you have oily skin all over. Not bad, but I prefer other brands I've tried.

I did think this smelled really good. It has a light and fresh scent. This is a bonus because I like the things I use to smell good. The scent doesn't stick around long though.

Helps a little

I have had this Olay product sitting around for a little while. I was waiting until my old cleanser was used up. When I finally got around to using the Shine Shine Go Away, I thought it had gone bad. It came out of the tube silver. I have never in my life seen a face product that was silver. I was expecting something white. Every cleanser I've ever used was white. It still smelled like soap and lathered up like soap so I used it. A little goes a very long way with this product. I used a dime sized amount with my old cleanser. The tiniest dab of this will do the job. This is great from a cost saving standpoint. The smallest package will last and last. As far as reducing shine, I would say I have seen a slight improvement. I'm less shiny than I was before. I also have acne. This doesn't have an acne fighting ingredient so I don't use this product as my only cleanser. I use Shine Shine Go Away in the morning and an acne cleanser at night.

I use it everyday!

I absolutely love this cleanser. I always wake up in the morning with really oily skin. I tried this cleanser before I went to bed and it felt really nice and smooth on my skin. When I woke up in the morning I noticed a HUGE difference! My skin was not oily at all. My face felt SO MUCH CLEANER compared to the St.Ives cleanser that i've been using these past months. I will definitely repurchase this item.

Favorite Cleanser Ever!

It does exactly what it says on the label, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, and one tube lasts FOREVER because you only need about a pea-sized dab of it! It's not too expensive, and coupons are easy to come by, so I have a nice stock right now that should last a couple of years!!

It says it keeps the shine away, and having very oily/combination skin, this is what I was looking for. I scored a trial size (0.5 oz.) in a box of free goodies, and immediately fell in love. It tightens pores, keeps the oil away, but doesn't dry me out like most shine-reducing products.

Ease of Application
    Very easy to use, no schedules or time-consuming rituals. I can wash my face easily in a couple of minutes, and not have to worry about that greasy feeling that starts a couple of hours after. It lathers nicely, and doesn't take much at all, even if you go down to the neck and chest with it. It rinses cleanly and leaves a soft, tight feeling behind.

I was concerned about the scent at first, having sensitive skin I have to be careful of perfumes and dyes. It was a pleasant scent, very invigorating, but didn't last all day like some do. I don't like to smell my cleaner while trying to enjoy my lunch! It hangs around for a couple of minutes then fades away, leaving a great clean feeling.

Great for oily skin!

from Stafford, Virginia

I'm a very hard person to please when it comes to face wash products. I struggle with oily skin, and it is tough to find a product that cleanses my face well. After trying this product, I am satisfied to say that I enjoy it and like it. Overall, it is not my favorite or the best product to cleanse your face. However, it is great for people who have oily skin. I also like the feeling of the face wash. I recommend using it after using a regular face wash. It can be a bit difficult to wash off, so you may have to really scrub your face and this is one of the reasons I rated it an 8 out of a 10.

Even though it can be a little difficult to scrub off, and not the best feeling while it is on your face. The feeling afterwards leaves your face feeling clean, especially for people who have oily skin. It's very difficult to feel a clean skin or face with oily skin types.

Ease of Application
    It's very easy to use, and doesn't take much at all. The only reason I gave it a nine out of ten is because sometimes it deepens into your skin before your finished.

The scent isn't the greatest. It's not overwhelming, but it doesn't smell bad either.

Decent facial cleanser

The first time I tried Olay Fresh Effects Shine, Shine Go Away! Shine Minimizing Cleanser, I thought it was weird. It came out of the tube as a grayish silver color. It felt thick. As I put some water with it, it got a little thinner and was pretty easy to lather my face with it. After I scrubbed my face with it and washed it off, my face felt clean, but felt a little dry, or like some of the facial cleanser left a residue behind. I didn't feel that way the rest of the day. As far as the cleanser minimizing shine, I can't attest to that claim. My face isn't terribly shiny anyway, and it didn't appear as if it was any less shiny after using the cleanser. So I cannot say whether Olay Fresh Effects decreased the shine of my facial skin. I may consider purchasing this in the future if there is a sale or I have coupons, but it's not my favorite and I definitely would choose other facial cleansers before it.