Other Facial Moisturizers:
Olay
Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original

Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original

A Great Daily Face Cream

I used Olay's Active Hydrating Cream in Original for several years. Once I grew out of my oily teenage years, and into young adulthood - where I still had oily, acne-prone skin, I realized that my skin still needed nourishment and moisture to keep it healthy and prevent wrinkles, even if it was oily. I'm so glad I gave this product a try. I was really hesitant to use it. I worried it would cause breakouts and make my skin more oily, but I was so pleased to discover that it did just the opposite. Because this cream was soothing and helping to give my skin the moisture it needed, my breakouts stayed at bay and my oily skin actually got less oily over time. I really liked this product because I could apply it before bed, or in the morning - and I only needed to use it once every 24 hours. It made my face feel really soft and it smells nice - not too strong. It's also very soothing when you rub it in. Sometimes, in the humid Texas summers, it was a little too creamy, and sometimes, in the dry winter, it wasn't moisturizing enough to keep the dry, scaly flakes away - so at those times, I would often rotate between this and different product that was more suited to the current climate. But as an overall, daily use product, this worked great most of the year. I was pleased with the positive side effects and my face felt like it was getting the nourishment it needed. The only thing is that this does not have SPF in it, so I would use it at night, and then use a sunscreen over it during the day to protect your skin.

Greasy + Made Me Break Out = Not Happy

I bought this cream because I am currently on prescription Adapalene Gel 0.1% (generic Differin) from my family physician for the hormonal acne breakouts that I started having this past summer. The gel makes my skin pretty dry, and I wanted a lotion to put on at night to counteract that effect. Upon using this cream, though, I found that it was neither hydrating enough nor strong enough to suit that need! In fact, at one point a couple months ago when my skin got very dry and irritated, I put a lot of this on my face to stop the burning, and my acne got worse and I broke out more! When I stopped using this product, my breakouts lessened. Not to mention it didn't soothe me at all.
The texture is very greasy, and it didn't seem like my skin was absorbing any of it when I put it on. I've found that all Olay products do this and are not very effective. I was also using the Olay SPF 15 lotion for a time that was for normal skin (used oily skin too). It affected me the same way.
However, I will say that this product smelled nicely.

I like this product except for the scent

from Elk Grove, CA

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

• Goes On Smoothly
  • Long Lasting
  • Moisturizes Well
  • Softens Skin

Cons

• Bad Smell

• Bedtime

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

I enjoy using Olay, however the scent can be overwhelming. I normally would apply this moisturizer before bed and rest well, but I cannot rest because the scent is so strong. I have decided to use 7 total effects instead because of this issue. I do like the price of this moisturizer and the feel on my skin. I like the texture, and I can actually feel it working after I apply it. The coolness of the moisturizer is nice. I may see if they have this moisturizer in an unscented formula so I can keep using it.

Best Trust Hydrating Cream Around

from North Augusta, SC

About Me Bargain Shopper, Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
  • Goes On Smoothly
  • Long Lasting
  • Moisturizes Well
  • Not Greasy
  • Reasonable Price
  • Softens Skin

• After Shower/Bath
    • Dry/Chapped Skin
    • Winter Dryness

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

I love anything by Olay! They are a trusted product name and never come out with a bad over-priced product!

I like this.

from Wisconsin

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

This is one of those products that is better because of the combination of the price and effectiveness. Does it make my skin look like I'm 20 again? No, but it does relieve dryness pretty good. I like the feel of it when I dip my fingers into it and how nicely it goes onto my skin and soaks in. It has a very soft feel to it. This Olay is one of the moisturizers I like to use in the winter because it's pretty rich. A person with acne would not want to use this as it would probably clog the pores. I recommend this for women and men over the ages of 30 or so. The jar is nice, too, because you can just dip in; no turning upside down to get every last drop, no squeezing a tube, etc. My husband likes to use this in the winter as well. In fact, I'd have to say this is a good one for men because of its very low scent and no fancy stuff in it. I also like to use it on my neck and chest, especially after a shower.

This cream is too thick

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

Olay Active Hydrating Cream is a high quality product like many of the other Olay products that are out there. Although the quality of the ingredients is high and the fragrance of this product is appealing, I find that this particular product is too thick for my skin. I am prone to frequent breakouts and I find that this cream "sits" on the surface of my skin and is not absorbed very quickly into my skin. It feels very thick on my face and it quite uncomfortable. I tried applying just a thin layer of this cream to my face and it still felt very thick and heavy on my skin. Overall, I think the Olay product is a quality one but I just don't think it works well for people with sensitive skin. I would not recommend this product to someone with combination skin or to someone who experiences frequent breakouts. If your skin can tolerate thicker creams then this might be a good product for you to use.

• Ease of Application:

The only facial cream that works for me!

from Davie, FL

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

I am the type of person who always has dry skin. I have tried so many different brands and products. After finding Olay Active Hydrating Cream, I will never need to try out a new product again. This facial cream works exceptionally well, and it leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth even after just one use. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who is looking for some relief from their dry skin.

This product is extremely effective in relieving and getting rid of my dry skin. I have never found a facial cream that helped me more than this one has.

Ease of Application
    This facial cream is very easy to apply. You just need to apply a thin layer on your skin after you wash your face in the morning. I also apply it at night after taking my make up off. I always wake up with hydrated and smooth skin.

The scent is something I really enjoy about this product. It smells very subtle which I think is great.

Pass on this one

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

This product ended up being a big, greasy mess on my skin. While it was moisturizing, I couldn't stand this product never did fully absorb into my skin.

Whenever I use this product, I sit around for hours and hours waiting for it to sink into my skin, but it never does. It just makes my face look like I've just been for a 10-hour workout and I have a thick layer of sweat and oil on my skin… not a good look.

I've tried to use this product at night, but I just find that it rubs off on my pillows and sheets, leaving my skin with nothing.

To me, this product smells chemically. I'm not a fan of that type of scent at all. While it didn't irritate my skin, I just couldn't get past the scent.

Overall, this just isn't a great product. There are other Olay products that I absolutely love; I even love other moisturizers they make. However, this one just wasn't a winner for me. I will not be purchasing it again.

• Ease of Application:

I use this at night when my skin needs extra moisture

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

I have combination skin that tends to be oily. The excess oil causes breakouts so I have to be careful on the products that I use on my face. Olay products have always worked well for me, so I gave this product a try.
    In the winter months my face will get on the dry side, and I like to keep it fresh looking with a good nighttime moisturizer. This cream is on the pricey side, and literally all I needed was a dime sized amount for my entire face. This product really does go a long way which makes the price not as bad.
    I found that this is a good nighttime cream to help regain moisture in my face. It is too heavy for me to use during the day as it makes my face look greasy by mid day.
    This cream does not cause breakouts, but I use it sparingly and only at night.

This cream does a good job to add moisture to your face, and make your face look clean and refreshed.

Ease of Application
    I like the jar style that this comes in so I can determine how much I want to use. A small amount will do the trick and makes this cream last a long time.

good product

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

This is one of the first moisturizer that I've tried when I started becoming interested in keeping my skin healthy. My mom is a religious user of Olay products. She introduced me to this brand during my high school years when my skin was dry and needed some moisturizer. What appealed to me at first was the "pink" packaging and the pleasant light smell. The smell is not overwhelming and it kinda smells like baby powder. I usually applied this on my face before daubing on some concealer. The Olay Active Hydrating cream leaves your skin smooth and "glowing", so there's not much need for foundation. I like it so much that I use it on my arms and legs which gives it good results. The only negative thing about it is that it's in a small jar, so it doesn't last me long. Even though this is one of Olay's classic and oldest products, but it still stood its time and live up to its word.

Great for night time.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

I have used an entire jar of this and plan on getting a new one next time I go to the store. I use this at night because there is no sun protection, which is really the only bad thing about it. It comes in a jar that's easy to open, but has never opened or spilled while in my bag. It does come in a jar though, so I always have to thoroughly wash my hands before using it. It is more of a cream consistency because it is thicker than most moisturizers. It makes my face dewy and shiny, which I like. It makes my dry winter skin look alive. A little goes a long way and I only have to use about a dime size to cover my entire face. I use another dime size for my neck. I have sensitive skin and this has not broken me out or given me any irritation. It has a classic moisturizer scent, which I really enjoy. It has slightly softened the light wrinkles in my forehead and smile lines. The dewy look it gives also helps to make them less noticeable, probably by reflecting light off of them.

Jar can be unhygienic

Original yet Unappealing

Comments about Olay Active Hydrating Cream, Original:

This moisturizer from the Olay line is extremely out of date and is only still being sold due to the fact that it is so inexpensive. Most consumers will want to try out the inexpensive product in order to compare to the other top of the line items that Olay features. Upon trying this product, I was extremely unimpressed. The fact that the moisturizer comes in a jar bottle is a major disadvantage right from the start. Antioxidants and other useful skin agents cannot remain stable when being contained in such jar packaging. The other issue I had with this product was the thickness of the cream. It is not fluid or in any way effortless. I felt as if the product contained too many waxy substances. I would assume that a moisturizer that feels waxy on the skin can prompt acne breakouts. It is for this same reason that I decided to discontinue using this particular moisturizer.