3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

I love Ol' Roy

I have been feeding this food to my dogs for over 6 years. I have heard a lot of negative experiences with other people that feed or have fed this food. Most of the people that I have heard say that they have had a negative experience are coming from a veterinarian that was unable to find an actual problem with a dog that was experiencing some issue. The veterinarian would just then, jump to conclusions as far as I am concerned, and blame the dog's diet. My dogs have not experienced any negative side effects from eating this corn based food. In fact, my dogs have and continue to thrive while consuming this product, which they have eaten almost their whole life.. My dog has healthy gums and a shiny coat and is always very energetic. I get compliments on their coats and their shininess all of the time while I am out walking them. I, from time to time, alternate between the regular flavor and the meaty gravy flavor and my dogs love them both. This is a very cost-effective way to maintain healthy large dogs. You can not beat the price for a 50 pound bag. I have tried other more expensive brands in the past, but now feel that I was wasting my money. I will continue to use this product for years to come.

For the health of your dog, please choose something else

When I first started as a pet owner I just figured all dog foods were alike. I thought the only real difference was the name and company and maybe even flavor. But, I didn't think for one second that one could actually harm my dog. My dogs are just like my own children. I would do anything for them and I want what is best for them. I started my dog out on ole Roy. It was cheap and came in a good sized quantity for the price. Eventually my dog started acting lathargic, his coat was dulling, his gums with turning whitish, and he was loosing weight. I thought what in the world can it be. I wormed him as directed, brushed his teeth, washed his coat and he still looked horrible. Also his bowel moments were huge and stunk really bad. I hauled him into the vet to be checked out. I had him tested for worms, heart worms, infection and everything else I could think of. The vet found nothing till he asked me what I feed him and when I said Ole Roy, he said there is my problem. I needed to get him off of the Ole Roy and put him on Iams. Which I did. I can't tell you the amazing transformation. His eyes brightened up, his gums pinked right up, he was happy and healthy and he coat looked amazing. I will never feed Ole Roy to any animal every again.

My dogs didn't want to eat it

from Dallas,TX

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Good Value

Cons

• Dog Doesn't Like It

• Larger Dogs

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

We normally purchase Pedigree, but the store was out. We really needed dog food and we had tried Ol Roy before. We purchased it and gave it to the dogs. I figured that due to the heat perhaps they weren't that hungry. The following day they still wouldn't eat much. I mixed the dog food with chicken and rice, which they normally devour. They ate the rice, but that was it. Then, I noticed Koko, our youngest dog, had diarrhea. I stopped giving her food and just gave her rice water. I was thinking maybe she ate something outside. Then, I noticed she was vomiting too. Long story short, when she got better and I tried feeding her the Ol Roy, she refused to eat it. Our other pitbull Mini also refused to eat it. So disappointing as we had a big bag that they wouldn't eat. We have it to our neighbor and he said his dogs refused to eat it as well. I guess we should have stuck with our regular dog food. Yes, it is pretty affordable and cheaper than Pedigree, but we had no success. I guess every dog is different because I read good reviews on it. We will NEVER purchase it again. Next time I'll just visit another store and not settle

You Get What You Pay For

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

This isn't very good for a dog to eat, in my opinion. It's made mostly of grains because the first ingredient in this dog food is corn. There isn't hardly any meat in this dog food as the next ingredients in this is meat and bonemeal. There could be just as much bonemeal in this food as meat since they're together in the ingredient list. To be fair however, there are other dog foods that are much more expensive and yet have the same ingredients. You get what you pay for and at least this isn't as expensive as some Purina brands of dog foods that have the same ingredients in them. I feel people should make their own decisions and if you cannot afford better dog food than this would be a better choice than more expensive brands that are just as bad. That's why I've rated the food a six because the price is right for what you're buying.

Quality of Ingredients
Ground yellow corn is the first ingredient in this dog food. The next ingredients are meat and bone meal, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, animal fat, and corn gluten meal. This food also has natural flavor as an ingredient as well, which isn't so natural, but some premium brands use this unnatural substance as well. The quality of the ingredients aren't good as you see from this list, but then it's more economical than other so-called premium brands that can be just as bad.

Flavor Selection
I bought a small bag of this when I was short on cash and my dog didn't like it. I decided to feed him table scraps because he seemed to enjoy that more than Ol' Roy!

• Flavor Selection:

My dog actually prefers this over name brand

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

My dog actually prefers this over the more expensive name brand dog foods. The price is just right and it meets his nutritional needs, allowing him to keep up with my high energy children. I have a child with autism that he serves as unofficial service dog for and he is able to keep up with her high energy and make sure that she stays safe. Other brands left him sluggish and lazy, not able to keep up. He is happy and healthy and his weight is just where it should be. He had a harder time maintaining on more expensive brands. His bowel habits are healthy and he has no digestive health problems. On Science Diet, he was not using the bathroom as often as he really needed to. Overall, we are very pleased with this food and will continue to purchase this as long as it is available at our local store. I cannot imagine my dog without this product. It has been amazing for meeting his needs.

Great dog food

from TN

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

A lot of people in my family have been using Ol' Roy Regular Dog Food for years. I have almost always owned small dogs, so I never used this dog food. I finally got myself a beautiful chocolate lab dog and decided to give this dog food a try. It was a big hit with my dog. She was able to get it into her mouth and chew it up easily. When she ate this dog food she always had a lot of energy and her coat was always really pretty. This food seemed to be filling for her as well. I noticed this because at dinner time she would not sit and beg for food like she did when she ate other kinds of dog foods. This dog food is also very affordable. You can buy it in a few different sizes of bags, but I usually get the large bags because it is a good price. It will last for a long time too so I do not have to buy it often. I even noticed that my smaller dogs enjoyed the food. I thought that it may be too big or hard for them to eat, but it is not.

Good for the money.

from Dunlap, TN

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

It is the cheapest dog food per pound at Wal-Mart. My dog is in very good health and it seems to be working for him. We have saved a lot of money using Ol' Roy. Learned our lesson the hard way - we have tried other brands, but he doesn't eat them as well. Sticking with Ol'Roy.

Quality of Ingredients
I would say that it has everything that my dog needs. He is doing very well. He is a very active dog and a picky eater - and is thriving. We have tried other brands - and honestly, our dog likes this dog food the best. I have to mix other things with other dog brands just to get him to eat it .... lesson learned. Sticking with Ol' Roy

Flavor Selection
There are actually a lot of different flavors to pick from in this brand. We switch it up some just to cut out the boredom for our dog. He has always enjoyed all of the different types that they offer. It seems like they have a really good competitive brand... I believe they have a "type" that are similar to all of the name brands.

Dont buy this kind

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

This dog food by Ol' Roy is just the bottom of the barrel left over gross food. It is basically made entirely out of corn and is by far the worst kind of food you could feed your dog. It is so gross to touch because it has this kind of little bits stuck to the outside of the food that rubs off onto whatever it touches. It literally stinks. You cannot open the bag without gagging. The dogs will eat it which is surprising because they will not eat some of the more expensive brands that actually are made out of natural, healthy ingredients. This food is so cheap that I guess you should feed it to your dog if it would otherwise starve. Also, you have to feed about triple what you would feed of a quality dog food. Make sure to keep plenty of water out also so that your dog can drink and swallow all the little bits left behind in their throats. I would seriously steer clear of this food if at all possible.

Dogs beg for it

from Summerfield, FL

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

My 2 dogs, a Pit Bull mix and a Great Dane mix, both love this food. We tried just about every kind there was on the shelf before settling on this brand. My Pit Bull mix is very picky about the taste, texture and even the shape of his food. This was the only kind he will eat. I like the price since we go through about 2-3 50 pound bags in a month and the consistency of the food. The pieces always look the same and are never squished or broken. There is hardly ever debris on the bottom of the bag when it's gone. The bag is also very well made and tough so it holds up to hauling it out of the store and car and even the dogs scratching at it when hungry. We have found that it helps maintain our dogs weight very well. The Great Dane is less active and leans towards the bigger side while the Pit mix is leaner and sometimes needs more weight on him. I can feed this to both and not have to worry about buying 2 different brands because of their unique needs. It doesn't make them sick to their stomachs like some brands and they never grow bored with it. Every time they get fed it's like the first time trying a new treat. They are excited to eat it.

• Flavor Selection:

Best value, dogs love it!

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

Have 3 dogs and have been feeding them this dog food for a while. It's one of the cheapest out there but yet my dogs are happy & healthy. No complaints here!

Flavor Selection
Comes in several different varieties but they vary in sizing and pricing. Haven't tried any other than regular so far.

• Flavor Selection:

Not healthy to be feeding your dog.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

This gave two of my dogs diarrhea and gas. I would not say that I had fun scrubbing the stains out of the carpet. They did not have a problem eating it, so I am assuming that it tasted pretty good to them. However, the aftermath was bad. If you look at the ingredient list, you may see why. The first ingredient is corn! I bought this because it was cheap, but I guess I got what I paid for. Soybeans are also added, so if you are highly allergic, I would say that you should stay away from serving this food. By-product is also added.

Quality of Ingredients
Very, very poor quality of ingredients. The first ingredient is corn. I believe the fifth (pretty high up there) is animal fat! Correct me if I am wrong, but is THAT much fat supposed to go into a dogs food? I would not be surprised if many animals became overweight eating this (that is, if they do not vomit).

Flavor Selection
There is an okay flavor selection, but that does not matter when the food is so poor.

Ol'Roy Oh Boy

from Rome,GA

Comments about Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food:

I purchased this Ol'Roy dog food during a time I had very little cash and had just acquired a new canine member of the family. I wasn't exactly prepared for an animal but when she arrived I had to get something to feed her. I picked up what seemed to be the least expensive for the time I needed to cover. I noticed when I would feed the dog she would leave the food for several hours and then come back, and eat the food one piece at a time. I have since noticed with other foods she does not do this. I have come to realize that I don't think she enjoyed the food as much as she was eating it for survival only. I doubt I would ever purchase this again unless I was just too financially burdened to buy some other brand. I replaced the Ol'Roy as soon as I could and didn't bother to finish the bag, which I gave to a friend that has several dogs.

Quality of Ingredients
The dog food seemed to be very dry and hard and to myself it had no smell, I sort of think the lack of odor is why she would not eat the food.

Flavor Selection
I only saw the one flavor I have no real idea if there are other or not.