View more insect repellent

Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent

Pros

Cons

Off Smooth and Dry: Easy Application and it Works Well

Depending on where you live, mosquitoes and other biting insects make themselves known for at least a few months every year. They thrive in warm weather and that means an extended length of in- season insect problems for those who live in warmer latitudes. I now live in one of these warmer locations and a product that has become one of my new summer friends is **Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellant**, a product made by S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. **Bug Spray Commentary:** Off! Smooth & Dry is an aerosol product that is dry and non- greasy and a small amount is all it takes to coat the skin and protect against biting insects. The scent is a little chemical- like, but not as bad as others and certainly tolerable. It is one of multiple versions of the famous insect repellant. Off! products have been around for a long time and I have used every one of the different variations over the years. Among all consumer good products, Off! is one of a  select few that I know I can count on to perform its function as promised. The reasons I like Off! Smooth & Dry are many, but the most important among them is the dryness of the application. Unlike other insect repellants, this product is dry upon contact. Most others- including several in the Off! family- are wet when they come in contact with the skin and they remain wet for some time. There is no such problem with Off! Smooth & Dry. This makes it a great choice when you need to spray yourself on the run and don't have time to wait for the liquid to dry. It is also good for those who want to apply the repellant to clothing. Other brands leave clothing feeling damp, but Off! Smooth & Dry comes out dry and leaves no moisture on clothes. The main ingredient in Off! that is responsible for repelling insects is DEET. The level of DEET in this product is 15%. Some Off! products have as little as 5% DEET. Others have as much as 98% DEET. Depending on what you plan to do during your time outdoors, you may not receive enough protection from Off! Smooth & Dry. For ordinary outdoor activity, I find the 15% level of DEET just fine. However, if my outdoor activity includes spending time in a forested area, fishing on still water, or other sporting activities, then I will likely need to reach for a stronger version of Off! with a higher percentage of DEET. But for day to day activities, this level of DEET is just right.

Off! Smooth & Dry provides protection for about two hours with each application. After two hours have passed, you will need to apply more. This is why it is a good idea to take a bottle with you if you plan to spend an extended amount of time outdoors. With two little girls in my household, I take a bottle with me whenever we go anyplace that I know will include a large amount of time spent outdoors.  ** **

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, Off! Smooth & Dry is a very good product from SC Johnson & Son and it ranks among my favorite insect repellents. The price per bottle is high, but the protection and the dry application make this a product worth considering.

Attracts Bees

The new off doesn't not work at all. I have to work outside for five hours on some days so I purchased Off smooth and Dry. I liberly applied the off. Through out the day, I had to slap mosquitos and flys off of myself. The worst part was that the bees which have never bothered me before, were crawling all over me. This product is terrible. I have to use a ton of it because I can't tell if it is sticking to me because it dries in the air before it reaches your skin. Don't waste your money.

expensive for very little

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

I like how it comes on my son skin. but the bottle is barely empty , still contain a good amount of liquid in it . It will not spray . so you will only get maybe 65% of whats in the small canister it actually comes in . so it's not just one can . We went thru 3 cans . all with the same result . very Disappointed .

Attracts bees!

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

This repellent attracts bees. I've been attacked twice since spraying it on me. I haven't been stung by a bee for 20 years, and all of a sudden I get attacked twice within 24 hours. Only thing I did differently is put on Off! Smooth and Dry. Totally weird.

Attracts bees.

Not Convinced.

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

I am not convinced with this product. I am highly allergic to mosquito bites they swell up rather large on me. I also live in southern Oklahoma where we have plenty of mosquitoes to go around. I have used numerous OFF products and none of them seem to work, this one included. I would recommend getting something else if you really want to be protected.

Keeps bugs Off!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

Off! Smooth and Dry Insect Repellent is an excellent method of keeping everyone in the family safe from some nasty bug bites. It's easy to use, effective, smells nice and does what I need it to do. I admit, I've even sprayed it around our picnic area and found great results. There is only one thing I wish was different and that is that it was DEET free.

A recent trip to the Shenandoah mountains showed us just how effective it could be!

It helps fight off gnats, mosquito's, ticks, biting flies (think horseback riding or hiking), chiggers and fleas. That means it also helps to prevent West Nile virus and some other things that may "bug" you after a bug bite, like itching, swelling or other allergic reactions.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply, but occasionally the spray nozzle gets plugged. I had one bottle plug so badly that I never got to finish using it.

Soft, powdered scent so no one says "Mommy that stinks." There is a faint "bug repellent" aroma but it's better than being bit.

• Ease of Application:

I really like using this product - convenient to take with you.

from Oxford, OH

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

I love this product - I even use it carefully on my horses when trail riding. it helps keep the bugs away from around their necks & ears.

It works great and saves me from getting all those bites.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply.

The scent is OK, but does not matter since it works.

• Ease of Application:

Just what it says: Clean and dry!

from Ada, MI

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

I was absolutely shocked when I tried out this product.  How could something that doesn't smell or leave a greasy residue really work?  I can't answer that, but it does.  The mosquitos stayed off all night at the campfire, and I slept in the bug spray without feeling sticky and smelling foul.  The kids smelled good too!

Off! Off! Off! mosquitos. Off! Smooth and Dry to the rescue!!

from small town, OH

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

This past summer the mosquitos were really bad and they just love me.  I had numerous mosquito bites and they were all getting infected.  I needed something.  Not wanting to use an oily, greasy. smelly repellent, I chose the Off! Smooth and Dry Insect Repellent.  It is easy to apply, just spray on.  It has a very pleasant scent.  It works well for me and my family.  This summer I also kept a can of the Off! Smooth and Dry Insect Repellent in my car so that I would always have one handy and ready to use when we left home.  I like to work outdoors in my garden and flower beds, and the Off! makes it possible for me to do what I want without having to constantly swat those pesky mosquitos away.  The Off! spray is gentle on my skin and feels dry and silky smooth.  It is not greasy or sticky and does not leave an oily residue on clothing.  I found the Off! Smooth and Dry Insect Repellent to be very effective.  I know everything has a purpose on this Earth, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what or why it is necessary for us to have mosquitos.  They carry and spread West Nile virus, so you can be sure I will be protecting my family with Off! Smooth and Dry Insect Repellent.

Better for you, nice experience

from Hanover, PA

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

This is one of those products that you really can't do without when you're planning to spend time outside. Be sure to grab some from the store before you leave for your camping or beach trip!

This OFF Repellent has such a great way to apply it, and it makes things SO easy! Somehow it's not messy either! Once you apply it, you really can't feel that it's there, but yet you do know it is because the bugs really don't like you anymore! You can be concern-free when you use this repellent!

Another plus is that it really lasts a while! I have used other repellants and you can tell they are cheap, because they don't do a good job and don't last like they should. Nobody wants to bother with repellent all the time, and when you use this repellent, you don't have to! Oh, did I mention it doesn't have a terrible smell like others do? Even though OFF is a little pricey, it's well worth it. I think you'll be all-around pleased with this OFF repellent.

Off Insect Repellent Smooth and Dry works, but not well

from Pinson, AL

Comments about Off! Smooth & Dry Insect Repellent:

My blood is apparently a beacon for mosquitos and biting flies. So much so, that friends joke about me being at all outdoor events to keep the bugs away from them! There are tons of insects in my neck of the woods, and I can't step outside without being swarmed.

Having said this, I use a lot of insect repellents, ranging from citronella candles, to air sprays, body sprays, etc. I do not find that Off Smooth and Dry is as effective as the more traditional Off sprays. Maybe my skin absorbs it, but I can't tell that it is on me and it really doesn't keep the mosquitos away as well as other Off sprays. I think, perhaps, the greasy sprays last longer, are stronger, and more effective. I was hoping for something non greasy and not offensive smelling, but I think with Smooth and Dry you sacrifice it actually repellling. I will be going back to the greasy spray, but definately sticking with the Off brand.

Off Smooth and Dry: Easy Application and it Works Well