Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081

OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081

Pros

Cons

Yet another thoughtful product from OXO

OXO has my comfort and needs in mind when they develop products for use in the kitchen and the need for an excellent peeler was one of mine. When I bought this little jiffy, I was pleased from the first carrot I peeled. It went through the skins with ease, manuevered back up the carrot for controlled reverse peeling and is ergonomically suited for my hands. Just like so many of their other products, this one lives up the price and necessity of having an excellent peeler. Potatoes are not issue, carrots are a breeze and cucumbers seemingly peel themselves with this product. It cleans up in my dishwasher and has never rusted or become dry and brittle on the handle. Granted, I hand wash it most often but have been known to wash it quickly in the dishwasher without problem.

AGain, I'm giving another shining 5-star rating to OXO for their peeler (as I have their other products) and hope this encourages those in need of a great peeler to give this one a try.

Sandy

it's okay, not too crazy

I have recieved the peeler couple of months ago as part of a present and I really did enjoy it at first. It did a great job and I really like the fact that it says that grip handle and you don't have to worry about it sliding out of your hand. However after some washer I did notice rush starting to build up and it become more dull. I think should have dried it off after each use but I did not. I let it air dry and I am not sure if that was the case but it might have casued it. I now have a peeler that is more of a U shape and I absolutely love it. I feel like it's much more easy to use and i don't worry about slicing my fingers. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a peeler though because i think i just did not take care of it poperly. I'm not sure if the dullness was also my fault or if it just happens over time. It's worth giving it a try. If you need just any peeler, i would go to the U shape kinds.

Perfect

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

This OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler is amazing. It's easy to use, easy to hold, and super easy to clean. I've had this for awhile and it still works like it did when it was brand new. It's very durable. I believe any and every cook should use this. It's exactly what everyone needs.

It's a peeler, so that works well.

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

I've had mine for about 3 years now. The blade is still sharp, and peeling is easy. Butternut squash has been the only problem so far, but everything else I've used it on (carrots, turnips, jicama), has worked just fine. I've scraped myself a few times, but no serious injuries (and I definitely blame user error). It also does a pretty decent job smoothing out shapes when pumpkin carving, but the large curve between the blade and handle limits the areas it can fit into.

Smaller pieces can get caught in the attachment between the handle and blade, which are a little difficult to remove. Lots of moving water and a bristly brush work to clean it up and keep fingers or sponges from getting shredded.

It's gotten regular use for about 3 years, and still works well.

Even with the big curve between the blade and handle, peels sometimes get stuck. It's a minor annoyance to pull pieces out.

Works well; not super durable

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

I love a good vegetable peeler, and this one does not disappoint. It works well on carrots, cucumbers, potatoes, pears, and it works pretty well on apples. The swivel head mostly helps you get the right angle to catch the peel, but I have noticed that the flexible head can make it more difficult to peel apples--the swivel head seems to slip a little more than a stationary one. After infrequent use for about two years, the blade slipped out while I was peeling something. I was able to pop it back into place with relative ease, and I actually inadvertently put it in upside down. This actually made it work a lot better as I was using the side of the blade that hadn't been used before. I had not even realized it, but the blade had gotten quite dull. After switching it around, it was like new again. The OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler isn't the best quality peeler out there, but it gets the job done.

Nice Handle, comfortable to use

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

I have always had metal handled peelers. I never really thought much about getting a different peeler until this one came in a set I received for my wedding. It's very nice. I appreciate that the handle is a little larger, it is easier to grip and much softer to hold.

Peelers in general are not difficult to clean and this one is easy to toss in the dishwasher.

I have not had this product for a long time but it does appear sturdy and so far I have had no difficulty with it.

with the black handle it looks very nice with all of my other kitchen items.

OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler

from Arlington, MA

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

I have been using this peeler for several years now and absolutely love it. It has stayed sharp and not rusted at all. I use it at least once a week or more. I like this peeler so much that I've even given one as a gift to my Mom.

I typically wash this peeler in the dishwasher rather than by hand. I've had no problems with rusting. The vegetable peels also don't stick to the peeler.

I've owned this peeler for over two years now without any problems. I would definitely buy another, though I'm not sure how soon, given how long it's lasted so far.

I especially like the OXO grip on this peeler. My fingers don't slip (which is important as the peeler is sharp).

Makes peeling a cinch

from Cornwall ny 12518

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

This product has made me a believer. I always hated peeling vegetables and fruits because the old peeler was so uncomfortable and always did a rotten job. I would always end up useing a paring knife and wasting the product by taking more than the skin. This swivel peeler did a great and quick job. I am a believer.

Excellent-good thinking to make it a swivel

Marathon Peeling During Harvest Season Just Got A Lot Easier

from Podunk, NY

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

One of the hard things in the kitchen for me is sometimes using vegetable peelers. Because I do a tremendous amount of preserving in the fall time, it makes it necessary to peel a lot of items at times. This can lead to hand and wrist pain if I am trying to use those small handled metal traditional vegetable peelers.

I was thrilled to see the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peller with the large black handle. Using the large handled peeler has made a huge difference in my kitchen. The peeler itself works very well and peels vegetables nicely. The handle has a great grip. It does not slip and it is easy to hold without my hands getting tired, sore, or stiff.

The blades are sharp and after using them for quite a few years now, they are still going strong.

Running the blades through the running water will clean out a lot of debris and on the rare occasion that something gets stuck, it is easy to get out with very little effort. The only place that could be challenging is the little indented areas in the handle if food gets packed up in there. It is not a problem. I get a toothpick or similar implement and pick it out easily.

I have gotten quite a few years of work out of my large handled black peeler, and I am hoping it lasts even longer! Although it is not as razor sharp as it was when I first got it, it is still very sharp and works nicely. We use items in our kitchen constantly, and this peeler is no exception.

I love the comfortable handle of this peeler. The peeler itself swivels nicely, peels beautifully, and is great for lots of hard work during canning season. IT is easy to clean and the first peeler I reach for when it is time to do some vegetable work.

OXO's for my OXO Good Grips Peeler.

from Lansing, MI

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

Every kitchen has to have a peeler. As a kid We always had a cheap metal peeler which was difficult to use and uncomfortable. For the longest time I rarely used a peeler, but it was always sitting there waiting for me just in case. Our peeler of choice was the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler. Though I don’t remember why we bought that particular one, I’m glad we did. We have had our OXO peeler at least 9 years or so and it still functions like it’s new. True I haven’t used it a lot up until now, but that’s beside the point.

The OXO is a breeze to clean. Usually I can just rinse it off and throw it in the dishwasher.

This is one rugged peeler that stands up to not only what I have dished out but also whatever my children have dished out.

I’ve always been a fan of the OXO kitchen tools due to their unique rubber grips. Functioning as most peelers do the OX Good Grips peeler is different due to that rubberized grip. The handle is nice and thick and comfortable to grab onto. There is a textured area where the thumb would grasp for additional gripping power. The peeler itself is encased some, which helps protect fingers from nicks. Though sometimes I feel like that gets in the way of peeling a little. The actual blades of the peeler are nice and sharp and work great on vegetables and even on fruits that need peeling.

Best peeler on the market!

from Brookline, MO

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

My daughter gave me the OXO Good Grips Peeler for Christmas last year and I have used if for everything from carrots to apples to cheese. It is as sharp today as it was the day I got it and is the best peeler I have ever used. I have arthritis and this is the most comfortable and easy to use kitchen gadget I own.

Simply the best peeler ever.

from Saratoga, CA

Comments about OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler #20081:

This is, quite simply, the best peeler ever made.  :-)  I've been a cook for a long time, and my experience with peelers goes back to the old rickety thin metal ones, through various ergonomic versions, and stopped right here at the OXO peeler.  The grip is rubber, but just perfect in flexibility and "give". The business end of the peeler is sharp, reliable, and large enough to get the job done without a care.  My repetitive stress problems have made other peelers useless for me; the OXO works and doesn't bother my arm, wrist, or hand.  I've given these as gifts and highly recommend them.