Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:

OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner

Pros

Cons

OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, Cleans Lettuce & Stays Fresh

I had always wanted a Salad Spinner since watching the Foodnetwork. My lettuce has to be cleaned, and was so time consuming. Was not a task I enjoyed doing. When I seen one on T.V. I thought that is a great idea! I went to my local store compared items to items. Prices to prices, and decided on the OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner. Works wonders. Now I enjoy, instead of dreading making salads. I can not believe how much water after rinsing comes off, it's amazing. After I have cleaned and washed the lettuce I toss the greens in and let it spin away. I will say I dump the excess water out probably two to three times. Toss the lettuce into only the bowl part, and can't believe on how much longer the OXO Good Grips salad spinner keeps it fresher.

It always seemed like I was wasting lettuce, turning brown so fast. And in these times, with not wanting any wasted food. I'm very happy with the choice I made a few years back. This is a very useful tool in my life and kitchen. Saves time, saves money. I love kitchen gadgets, anything that helps make life easier is great in my book.

So if you are looking for a helper in the kitchen, give the OXO Good Grips salad spinner a try. You will be surprised.

I have the Oxo Good Grips Salad Spinner, its just ok.

I bought the Oxo Good Grips Salad spinner a couple of years ago and never really used it that much. For one thing it takes up lots of my precious storage space and I ended up storing it and an inconvenient area. I started buying the prewashed lettuce so really not much of a need to use it (sometimes I would spin dry some herbs).

But I started to not really care for the bagged lettuce --- would spoil quickly, sometimes had an off smell, plus more costly than just getting a head of lettuce, A couple of months ago, I pulled out the Spinner again. Now I don't know if its because I use it to wash romaine lettuce (so not real delicate) but I don't find that the lettuce is dry after simply spinning for quite a lot of spins.

After spinning (and its much easier using the "press" to spin, rather than the cord type), I still find I have to dry the lettuce on a towel. So not that a big timesaver and I wish I didn't have to use a towel or paper towel.

So if you are short of space, you might want to think twice. Just ok. Helps, but for me at least doens't dry my lettuce 100% (perhaps due to type).

Overpriced and underperforming

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

Beautiful unit which I had great hopes for, especially considering the price, has proven to be inadequate in terms of drying the greens which comprise the bulk of my diet. I used to have a bargain basement model (which sadly broke after several decades) that dried greens impeccably, and I expected at least the same, and frankly much better, from something 6 times the price.

Spins easily, pretty design that looks nice in the kitchen, lock down feature is a bonus, and it cleans up beautifully with usually just a spray and a brush. Those are the positives, and they deserve the high ratings I've given them. The experience of sodden greens that still have to be hand dried after multiple spins does not deserve the same, so my overall rating is only a 5.
I've never had greens come out of the basket completely dry no matter how long I spun it, there has always been some water clinging to the leaves. A disappointing product.

OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner: Great For Zucchini Too!

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

I never wanted a salad spinner but ended up receiving one as a gift a few years ago. It does make washing lettuce easier but the real beauty of this is the spin action that helps to get almost all of the water off of it. I have guinea pigs that eat a lot of different types of lettuce and some of it can be hard to wash and rinse without ending up with water all over the place. After I cut it up and rinse it in the sink I pop it into this spinner and in about fifteen seconds almost all of the water is off the lettuce. That also means that it is going to last a little longer in the refrigerator so I don't end up throwing out soggy lettuce or having water leak out of the bag.

If you are going to prepare salads for work or to take with you when you leave for the day, it's best to use a plastic knife to cut the lettuce so you don't end up with brown marks on the edges of the lettuce. Once you have cut it, rinse it in cold water then put it inside the Good Grips Salad Spinner and press down on the plunger a few times. The lettuce will spin and the water will be forced off the lettuce into the collection bowl.

Whether you are cutting up iceberg lettuce or the long pieces of romaine, the inside of the spinner is large enough to accommodate a decent sized amount. When I make salads to have on hand in the refrigerator this is a miracle product because the lettuce is clean and there's no water in the bottom of the containers and no need to drain the lettuce before adding dressing to it.

I have used this with grated zucchini to get excess water out of it before making fritters as well as with grated potatoes when I am making potato pancakes. Excess water in both of those can cause them to come out flat or heavy but it requires a little more cleaning to get the grated pieces out of the strainer. For me it's worth it to use it for the grated zucchini and potatoes because it's quicker than weighting it down in the sink for an hour and the batter doesn't get watery.

For salad, this is extremely easy to clean. If you are using it with grated vegetables you are going to need to spend a little extra time cleaning out the spinner.

So far the spinner and bowl have held up nicely.

It is a nice design but takes up a lot of counter space when not being used.

Love this salad spinner!

from Oxford, CT

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

I registered for this salad spinner for my bridal shower. I felt stupid registering for it at first but now I love it! It makes you want to eat more healthy salads and it is great for storing lettuce once its washed and cleaned! Nothing is more convenient and your salad is ready for eating! It's easy to use, large enough to hold a lot of greens, easy to clean, and with very little effort it, it spins quickly and dries the leaves very well. It's well made and has a "rubbery" ring on the bottom so it doesn't slide on the counter while you're pushing the top to make it spin. Cook's Illustrated said this updated version was good and I agree. The best part is that the lid comes apart for cleaning. According to reviews the old oxo salad spinner used to get moldy on the lid! To keep water spots from forming on bowl, give it a quick wash by hand, rinse, and wipe dry right away. I really love this salad spinner! It is effortless, durable and efficient. Highly recommend it, it's a must-have!

So easy a child can do it

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

We've had ours for almost 8 years, and it gets pretty regular use. I think this is why my 3 year old actually eats salad. The big button is easy for him to push down, and then he can push the brake hard enough to slow down the spinning. It keeps him interested, so he wants to eat the leaves when they come out. We also store salad in it in the refrigerator-keeps the lettuce fresh very well. Overall, we're very happy.

3 parts to keep track of, super simple. We don't put it through the dishwasher because it takes up too much room, but even washing by hand isn't a difficult process.

It still holds up with lots of use, even being banged around and occasionally used as a hockey "helmet" by kids playing in the cabinet. No problems whatsoever.

The pieces fit together easily, the basic spin/stop function works very easily, and has held up well over time. The salad bucket doubles easily as a strainer when needed.

Super easy to use and keeps salad fresh

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

This product is awesome. It is easy to use and keeps your salad fresh. All you have to do is throw your lettuce inside the spinner, press the black button a few times, drain the water from the bottom, and you are ready! The only downfall is cleaning it. It isn't too bad, but that is why I am giving it a 4 instead of a 5.

Quick and easy to use... and the usual Oxo design excellence.

from Garland, TX

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

The Oxo Salad Spinner performs perfectly with ease. The comfortable handle allows the user to spin up the basket quickly and comfortably with one hand. The easy to use brake means you won't be waiting for the basket to stop spinning.

The entire unit disassembles with ease. The basket and bowl are top-rack dishwasher safe, and the top seldom needs much more than a simple wipe-down.

So far, the parts and the spinning mechanism has held up well with moderate use. There is no noticeable wear on any of the heavy-contact areas such as the top handle. It works just as well after years of moderate use as it did when it was new.

The first design improvement you notice with this spinner is the actuation method... you simply use one hand and "pump" the center handle. Pushing it down causes the basket to spin, then the handle raises and you push it down again. The faster you pump, the faster it spins. The one handed use is a huge improvement over the older style crank spinners. When not in use, the handle can be locked in the lowest position to be less awkward for storage.

In addition, the basket can be stopped by pressing the "brake," a small button on the top of the salad spinner. This allows you to access the contents without waiting for the basket to slowly come to a halt.

The last major design feature is the non-skid bowl which keeps the salad spinner from sliding on the counter-top.

The Oxo is a major design improvement over previous designs.

Good product for a good price

from Tooele, UT

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

I bought this salad spinner for my sister one Christmas because she eats salad at least one meal every single day. Over a year later, I was having dinner at her house and used this salad spinner for the first time. After all that time with heavy use, the thing still worked great. In my house, we only have salad about once a week. I'm sure this tool would last years and years in my house. I'm going to get myself one of this very model very soon.

I love how easy it was to use. You just push the plunger in the middle down a few times and it spins like crazy on its own for a long time. You don't have to keep pushing or anything because it just keeps spinning on its own. It comes apart easily too for cleaning, which is really easy. Though, the center bowl (which needs to be lightweight) feels bendy and flimsy when I scrub it which makes me worry I might snap it.

A thing I don't like about it is that the bowl is too big to fit in the top of a stack of bowls, and the lid prevents it from being on the bottom. It takes up an entire section of cupboard on its own.

Acceptable spinner

from Lake Mills, WI

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

I purchased this spinner at the beginning of summer and use it weekly. I like the hand pump on the top. It is easier to use than my old spinner with the crank-type handle. Although, I don't think it ever spins as quickly as my old spinner, and it doesn't seem to get the water out quite as quickly. It does do the job, but it seems to take longer. The clear outer bowl is a nice feature that allows you to monitor the drying process without opening the top. The outer bowl appears to be very sturdy. There is a "brake" on top, which I have never understood the usefulness of and therefore have never used it. The basket quality is questionable. The plastic material seems fragile. There is a lot of give to it and I feel like it could easily crack if knocked around too much. The ease of cleaning I acceptable, as well, however, it easily retains water spots if left to air dry. The lid is a little tricky to dry well.

Very helpful kitchen tools.

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

In my opinion this is a must have kitchen tool. After years of washing lettuce by hand and storing it only to result in soggy lettuce, this has made things so much easier. With the OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner things are easy and the lettuce lasts longer.

This is a simple tool, four pieces. An outer bowl, inner basket and two parts in the lid (these clip together). Cut the lettuce and place in the inner basket that is set in the outer bowl. Fill with water to wash the lettuce, swish it around and then lift the basket out and drain. When water is emptied place basket in bowl, place lid on and release the spinning button on the top. Then the fun begins, the kids love this part, press the button and watch it spin. This helps get the lettuce nice and dry. It's that easy and will help you get the longest life out of your lettuce. We store out lettuce in the fridge inside this salad spinner. We've also used this salad spinner to wash blueberries!

Easy and convenient. Definitely a handy kitchen tool.

Love OXO Salad Spinner

from Stanton, CA

Comments about OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner:

This is a great salad spinner by OXO. My family eats a big salad about once a week these days, and it is by far cheaper to buy a head of lettuce than the premixed salads in containers. Therefore, I depend on this salad spinner to do its job. If you've ever washed and dried lettuce before you know how tedious it can end up being. This product helps be tremendously with this task. It is simple and easy to use, and gets all of the excess water off of the leaves of lettuces very efficiently. Just a few spins does the trick. I really do not know how I ever prepared salads for my family without this spinner; it makes it so much easier and more efficient to eat healthily this way!

You have to spend a little extra time washing and drying this completely, but worth it!

Has held up well in the several years that I have owned it. I don't see any overt signs of wear and tear.

A perfect design for a salad spinner.