Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:
OXO Good Grips Garlic Press

OXO Good Grips Garlic Press

Pros

Cons

An essential tool in my kitchen

***Bottom-Line***: If you need a high quality garlic press, the **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press **should defiantly be on your shortlist, or better still in your kitchen...Read complete review

***Bottom-Line***: If you need a high quality garlic press, the **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press **should defiantly be on your shortlist, or better still in your kitchen drawer.

I like garlic, my wife likes garlic, my house likes the smell of garlic, my meats like roasting in garlic, and my veggies like being sautéed in garlic.  I have always cooked with garlic; nothing livens up the taste of food like freshly pressed, chopped, or minced garlic.  But chopping fresh garlic can be very time consuming so I turned to a run-of-the mill (cheap) garlic press, which while it did what I needed it to do, didn't do it all that efficiently.

The **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press **is made of die-cast zinc, and the handles are made of non-slip black rubber; the device is somewhat heavy but it feels good in my hands.

Using the **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press** is easy, put in a clove or two, three in the press, and well press.  The action is smooth and because the unit is hefty the press easily dissects the garlic clove(s). The back of the press fitted with rubber piece with protrusions that mirror the holes in the press.  This allows you to clear the press of those pesky skins.  But the system is not flawless; it works, but not as well as I'd like.  It raises the flattened clove skin but doesn't eject it; I have to use a knife to get out the residue, but the rubber backing make it easier.

The **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press **is dishwasher safe, but I usually just rinse the unit under hot water extracting leftover bits of garlic with my fingers.  I have had the **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press** for almost a year and so far there is not a hint of rust within the hinges; the action is still smooth and the garlic press works as advertised.  If you need a high quality garlic press, the **Oxo 6.5" Garlic Press **should defiantly be on your shortlist, or better still in your kitchen drawer.

Think hard about why you are looking to buy a garlic press

First of all: this is an Oxo Good Grips product, so you know that your ergonomic needs will be met. The thick black handle fits into your palm like a glove, even if it has been smearing with olive oil. Although it's strange that Oxo has built its brand on thick-handled gadgets: it's unlikely that you're going to be pushing the handles together more than a few times per month, so is it really worth it to pay extra for Oxo's purportedly "solid design"? Unless you have arthritis or carpal tunnel or some other First World plague, I doubt it.

The other problem here is waste. Sure, some garlic is extruded out the other side. But the garlic juice squirts out the side, and at least half of the clove is crushed flat and virtually unusable. If you're ambitious, you can open up the garlic press, work your fingers into the opening, set the flattened garlic clove on its side and try to crush it again to extrude a few more useable bits.

Oh and guess what? For the bits to extrude properly, you'll need to remove the skin. It's really difficult to remove the skin without crushing the clove. You pick at it, try to get a grip, rip half off, etc. And once you've crushed the clove, guess what? MIGHT AS WELL CHOP IT WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE!

If this sounds miserable, it's because it is. And then when you're done smashing garlic in this metal contraption, you have to clean it. Well, poor people have to clean it by hand, which is tough. Parts of the clove really stick to the holes and don't really come out even when it dries. If you have a decent-paying job and a dishwasher, it's no problem at all, as long as you use the dishwasher frequently enough. And if you're really rich, just give it to your maid and order her to clean it immediately. That's how you run your kitchen, isn't it?

Instead of buying this Oxo Good Grips Garlic Press, I recommend buying a Microplane Zester: it zests garlic cloves into bits leaving no waste, it's cheaper and it clean up more easily.

OXO good grips garlic press

Profile Image

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

Don't use if you have any strength at all or your clove of garlic is the slightest bit tough. Okay so we had this garlic press from OXO for about 5 months and it worked great. Super easy to clean since all you do is flip it over and the red prongs go through the slots and push out the left over garlic guts. Well I use it one day and have to give the slightest bit of force to mince just one clove of garlic and the handle completely snapped off leaving a sharp metal edge. I'm a small woman, only weigh 125 and don't have any strength at all so my opinion is it's not a very good garlic press.

Only good thing about the OXO good grips garlic press is the handy little red prongs that clean out the slots to get all the garlic mush out. Super easy to clean with that, you don't have to scrape the garlic out with your finger.

Lasted five months, handle snapped off when I pressed one small little clove of pretty ripe garlic. I didn't use it all that much either.

Has a nice design to it, small, fits well in a drawer.

Great little garlic press but a little difficult to clean

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

I purchased this garlic press because of the positive experience I have had with OXO products. I am not a huge fan of cooking with garlic in the kitchen. I like the flavor it adds to the recipes I make, but I find that I dread the process of processing the garlic cloves. I like the design of this garlic press. It is easy to use and I can keep a good grip on the handles as I am process the garlic cloves. I am very sensitive to the smell of garlic, and I find that the rubber handles of this garlic press really hold the garlic smell. I have tried everything to try to clean the handles. I have thoroughly washed the garlic press by hand and I have run it through my dishwasher multiple times. I still detect the odor of garlic on the handles of the press. I have found that this odor fades over time, but it never totally disappears. Overall, this product works very well. If the odor of garlic doesn't bother you then you should purchase it! If the odor of garlic does bother you, I would recommend purchasing a press that is all metal.

Crushes Garlic Nicely, But Clean Up Is Problematic

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

This garlic press is easy to use, you put up to two medium sized garlic cloves in the metal box area and squeeze the handle to have the garlic crushed into tiny pieces about as big as coarse salt. I squeeze over the pan I'm cooking, but all the garlic doesn't fall out, so I use a knife to scrape the rest into the pan.

This is easy to use and you don't have to squeeze hard to get your garlic nicely pulverized.

The garlic press -- presses garlic out of small holes, so only garlic comes out of the press; however, open the press up again to add more garlic cloves or to clean it, quite a bit of the garlic remains in the press. If I need more garlic, I can use a knife to flick out the remains and continue on and that works ok.

To clean the garlic press, you kind of turn it inside out and the other side of the garlic press has a plastic square with nubs that fit into the holes to clean them out and that is a great idea and it does work, but I don't feel it works 100%. I find myself scrubbing the little area where you put in the cloves and pressing the rubber nubs into the holes multiple times.

I can't really think of a way to design this to make it easier to clean though, so this may be as good as it gets.

This is a heavy tool The part of the press that crushes the garlic is heavy, thick metal that I think will last forever.

The design of this garlic press is good, you can fit two smaller cloves of garlic, so it is quick to crush the garlic. Also, it does not take much strength.

Best Press out there!

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

I love garlic on just about anything. The OXO Good Grips Garlic press may cost a little more than others, but is by far worth it. It is easy to clean, easy to use, and is easy on the hands. The first time I used this I knew I made the right choice. I use it to press garlic to make sauces, add it to butter for garlic bread, and to add to stews and soups in the crock pot. This product is now an addition to a housewarming basket I have given to friends who also love to cook! Unlike others, the rubber grip is comfortable on your hands and doesn't hurt like I have experienced in the past with other presses. I have used this for more than just garlic. Once I decided to make a key lime pie from scratch, but the key limes are so small, they didn't work well in my orange juice tool... So, i sliced the key limes in half and used the garlic press to squeeze out the juice. It gave me the perfect mix of pulp and juice, and it made the pie taste a thousand times better than buying key lime juice!

Good until it broke

from Tooele, UT

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

I liked this garlic press until it broke. I had it for a year but didn't use it very often. So, I estimate I used it probably only 20 times before it became useless. I guess it was cheap so maybe I should have expected that. Maybe I got my money's worth out of it? I don't know if an expensive one would have lasted any longer or would have been less money per use before it broke.

Before it broke, it was nice. It was easy to use, just pop a clove or two in, squeeze and it comes out all nice and minced. It was pretty easy to squeeze too. Then you flip the handles around and squeeze the other way to force the leftover garlic out of the little holes to help make it easier to clean. Easy. I didn't like the way it left behind so much garlic. The press could never quite squeeze it all out and so there was always too much left behind for my taste. I felt like I was wasting a lot of garlic.

But, at the end of the day, chopping garlic by hand is a pain in the butt, especially when you want to get it into little tiny pieces. It takes forever and it never is as good as you can get with 3 seconds in a garlic press.

If you use it a lot, go for a more expensive one that will last. If you use it occasionally, then this one might last you long enough to make it worth it.

can't live without this garlic press

from Farmingdale, NY

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

Once again, the great designers at OXO have come through for the everyday kitchen cook and have designed a garlic press that works beautifully and is easy to use. I've had other garlic presses and have tossed them away since purchasing this one. Italians are known for their love of garlic, and being no exception, i have to say I go through a lot of it. This garlic press is my number one staple among my food tools. My son, who is 10 and learning to cook. loves it to and always asks me if he can press the garlic. Hooray for OXO!

So easy to use that even a 10 year old can!

easy!!

from New York, NY

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

The OXO garlic press is my favorite new addition to my kitchen!!!! before, i was using garlic powder on my dishes because it was so hard to chop garlic. i avoided buying fresh garlic and went with the less healthy powder form, rather than using fresh garlic and getting all the health benefits. when someone bought me this garlic press as a gift, i bought fresh garlic and tried it out. it was so super easy to use, and made my dishes taste even better!!! also, the cleanup is so incredibly easy - the one side presses into the other and pushes out the extra garlic peel, so you don't have to do anything else to get it out. the press also goes into the dishwasher, making it even easier to clean. highly recommended!

The OXO garlic press makes my life easy

from Washington, DC

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

I love, love, love garlic, and as hard as it may be to believe, I didn't have a garlic press until two weeks ago, when I decided to purchase the Oxo Good Grips garlic press, and I just love it. It is so easy and effective to use. In two or three seconds you can pop in two or three garlic cloves and with one squeeze add the minced garlic directly into the pot. You don't even have to peel the garlic, because the skins will just be left behind in the receptacle. The plastic cleaner attachment is well-designed and makes for a very easy way to get the garlic bits out of the teeth of the press. I read other reviews that the water gets trapped in the handles of the press, but I haven't had this experience yet, perhaps it comes with age. The only think I dislike of the garlic press is that I found it pretty heavy as a utensil.

Only One Use, But I Love It

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

I normally like my kitchen gadgets to serve many purposes (perhaps I have watched too many Alton Brown shows), but this does its singular job really well. If you are a fan of garlic, this is really a must have item.

You can very quickly produce finely minced garlic with very little effort, that's the plus side. Downside is that it is a pain to clean (though the mesh bin is removable). I find soaking it easiest. Or if you get most of the big stuff out, the dishwasher will take care of it. Garlic is sticky though! After about 18 months of use, mine is discoloring in the mesh basket though. It doesn't affect performance, so no biggie, but the stainless steel is definitely not very stainless.

Overall, if you like you garlic, I would say a garlic press is a must. Like most OXO product, this one serves its purpose and does not disappoint.

Handy item to have in your kitchen!

from Salisbury, MD

Comments about OXO Good Grips Garlic Press:

I received the OXO Good Grips garlic press as a Christmas gift this past year. I used to minced garlic in the little glass jars in the produce department at the grocery store. Last year I joined a local CSA and starting receiving fresh organic garlic almost weekly. I was cutting it up each time I wanted to use it and found that pretty labor intensive and just couldn't get it cut to the size I wanted. My husband picked up on my hints and purchased this OXO garlic press for me. Since I received it, I use it several times a week. It is super easy to use, works really great, and cuts up the garlic just to the size I prefer for cooking. When I am done, I give it a quick rinse (it is really easy to clean) and I have even put it in the dishwasher a few times. It is a great product which has made my lifre easier and makes it easier to use fresh garlic, which is very healthy for you. Another wonderful, durable product for your kitchen by OXO.