3.9

3.9

Pros

Cons

Too Much Magazine for Me

The reason I became an **O Magazine** subscriber was pretty understandable to anyone who lives for a good bargain: I received a special offer of 12-issues for $5.00.  I love to read and I love to save money, so I couldn't pass up that combination. I'm also a long-time fan of the Oprah Winfrey Show.  I'm not devout or fanatical about it as some are, but I do appreciate and respect her intent with the show.  She has the rare opportunity to touch a lot of lives, and I respect that she takes that opportunity very seriously.  You can sense her commitment to humanity on her show.  It is also evident in her eponymous magazine.

**O, the Oprah Magazine**, is a hefty, glossy, slickly-produced periodical.  The content is as broad as it is deep, and the articles tend to piggyback on many of the themes and topics that appear on her show.  I don't mean to say that they talk about a subject on the show and it then appears as a subject in the magazine.  I mean that there is a general sense of cohesion between the feel of both enterprises.

My favorite recurring columns are **Books That Made a Difference** (nice to hear the books that top other readers' lists); **Martha Beck** (sort of a lifestyle coach who opines on positive energy, negativity, etc.); **Suze Orman** (finances and relationships); and **What Do I Do Now?** (experts who handle dilemmas such as dealing with a nasty mother-in-law).  Finally, the **"O List"** is always a nice resource for gift ideas.  Sometimes they are even affordable.

Ultimately, the reason I am no longer an O Magazine subscriber is also pretty understandable to anyone who can't find enough hours in the day.  It is just too much magazine.  I read novels, Newsweek, decorating magazines, and online articles.  I never seemed able to finish an issue when a new one arrived at my doorstep.  Since I am able to catch her show, I just don't feel the need to continue the magazine at this time.  Perhaps that will change once her show is off the air.   We'll see...

For Diehard Oprah Fans

I have subscribed to ***O*** off and on since its inception in 2000.  It has stayed pretty much the same since then.  For one thing, Oprah is still on the cover every month.  It is an okay read.  I usually flip through it when it is first delivered, then I will put it aside until I can read the articles that are of interest to me.

I like how they spotlight various products and services.  Once Oprah finds something she likes, you just know it is going to be a big hit.  And most of the regular monthly features are interesting.

One thing I don't like about the magazine, which is pretty typical of other magazines geared toward women, is that they usually have an article on dieting.  This is a topic that is not relevant to me, as I found the secret to staying in shape many years ago that has worked for me: Eat less, move more.  Month after month, they come out with some newfangled way to try to help people with this issue.  For example, on the December cover is "A Miracle Course in Weight Loss."

I can't say that I am that interested in the spiritual focus of the magazine, although I understand that it works for some people.

I do like the various sweepstakes she offers for her readers.  I have not won yet but I am going to keep on entering.

My subscription runs for another two years.  I'm sure I will continue to enjoy some parts, but I won't spend any time on the areas that don't interest me.  I have too many other things to read.

See life through a new lens

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I have had a subscription to Oprah magazine for a long time. This October issue was amazing it is the only time I have read the magazine from page to page. Thank you for making it more interesting and not just a bunch of advertising. Last year you talked about the vegetables out of Oprah's garden. That was also a good issue. I liked subject about life and how to improve our life. I have a good life and thank you for making it better. Marie
From Canada.

A very different magazine.

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I used to read O, The Oprah Magazine all the time when I was younger. What I like bout O Magazine is that it is very different from other gossip magazines. This magazine publishes articles of importance in both women's lives, our society, and the world. The articles range from recipes, to d.i.y projects, to celebrities, to every day people. I always found it interesting and it's one of the only magazines I will read every page.

Only for a particular audience

from Monticello, MN

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I like Oprah and I like many of these things in the magazine, but it's definitely not geared towards younger people. It's geared towards older women with money. Most of the things in The O List, things that Oprah likes, are insanely expensive like the $250 throw featured recently. It looks like high quality stuff if that's what you are looking for. It often has articles that look interesting but not ones that I'm really interested in and so time gets the best of me and I never actually read them. I do really like the Suze Orman article about money. There have been a lot of great money questions submitted to it and really good answers. It's my favorite article to read and the first one I open to when I get this magazine. It doesn't seem to have as many advertisements as many magazines do, where half or more of the magazine is ads, which I like. It's a pretty magazine that I enjoy flipping through but not one of my favorites.

Something for everyone

from Springfield, MO

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I just got my first "O" magazine subscription in the mail today. I love the insight, and useful suggestions. Yes has a decent amount of ads, but it keeps the cost down of the magazine right? =) I have even signed up to get Oprah's daily quotes, which are very insightful. =)

awesome and educational

from Bellevue, WA

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

It is a very great book which i have read in the past and allows you to educate yourself on what is goin on in this world and oprah has done a great job on focusing all of the good stuff in there and she is a legend. One must read this book and get a fair knowledge on waht is going on in this world. I strongly recomend people to read this book.

Good magazine. Very informative

from Milford, NJ

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

This is a great magazine.  I love where the Opra magazine is coming from.  It's very informative and intelligently written.  There is a wide assortment of articles to attract just about every reader.  I would recommend this magazine to every woman

Like settling in with the Sunday paper...

from Lilburn, GA

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I have been a subscriber since the very beginning of this magazine.  I have always said that you do not have to be an Oprah fan to enjoy this mag.  It is like settling in with your favorite Sunday newspaper.  There is a little something for everyone.  Yes the magazine is thick.  Yes some of the articles don't appeal to me.  Yes some of her shopping picks are way out of my price range....but that is part of the fun of reading a magazine.  You get to check out things that are not in your normal realm of existence!!!!  You get a peak at how others live, think,and  have fun!!!!!  O magazine takes you there.  It is obvious to anyone who takes the time to actually read the articles, as opposed to just looking at the ads and pictures, that the contributors really have something to say and Oprah has dedicated this magazine to providing the forum they need.

More Magazine for your money

from Albion, IL

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I think it's a good magazine with a lot of good articals.  It does have a lot of advertising in it...some which are things that I would like to know more about.  I like the big magazine, it makes me feel I get more for my money.  I have found many good tips in her magazine.  I would refer it to my friends.

Good magazine to curl up and relax with

from Culver City, CA

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I subscribe to the magazine and look forward to receiving it every month.  I make it a ritual to take an hour out of my busy schedule to relax with this magazine.  I usually flip through it 2-3 times before putting it into my archives box.  I keep them on hand for a few months before tossing them in case I want to go back and read something.  The ads, while there are a few too many, are generally correctly targeted to the demographic reading the magazine, so I usually find them interesting/valuable.

just like watching the show

from Broomfield, CO

Comments about O, The Oprah Magazine:

I always look forward to reading O magazine but always feel let down. The cover stories always seem to promise more than they ever deliver. It's a bit of a let down. I expect more from it. The shopping is the worst, almost everything is out of my price range. I find it odd that they have money advice in one article and another on how to spend it, with very expensive clothes etc in another. I guess they need to keep the advertisers happy. I only read it because I like Oprah