3.9
Other Dog Treats:
dog bones
Nylabone

3.9

Great for getting rid of milk teeth, of course under supervision

My puppy is trying to get rid of his milk teeth. He has a [Kong][1] , a rope, tons of toys, but he needs something really hard to chew on. This was evidenced by him starting to chew on the doors and walls. I bought him a Nylabone. Well, first I bought what I thought was an original Nylabone, but it ended up being a Nylabone Gumabone, which is flexible and not what I wanted. Beware.

I got the Wolf sized original Nylabone, and it is great. Kilo chews on it endlessly. He was starting to get adult teeth while still retaining his milk teeth. I called the vet, and she says that could happen but to wait until 8 months of age to see if they fall out, and if they don't then pull them. He's happier now that he's chewing the Nylabone.

I see other people have some issues with the Nylabone. First of all, you should not throw it for your dog to catch in his mouth! It's really heavy and stiff, and it is obviously going to break teeth. If you could break a window with it, don't let doggie catch it in his mouth. You could have him catch the Gumabone though. Use that for tossing.

I have written some reviews about chew toys for dogs. There are lots of sad stories of choking associated with almost any chew toy. This one is no different. Dogs have different chewing styles. Some dogs will knaw just for the joy of destroying things. But dogs' instincts are different than a human's. In the wild, canines rip off hunks of meat and swallow it whole without chewing. They have the instinct to swallow things that seem small enough to fit down their throats.

If a Nylabone, rawhide piece, tennis ball, pair of dice, loose change... anything can fit and seems tasty, they may swallow it. I have never bought a brand-name dog toy that doesn't have the warning "not for unsupervised chewing" on it. I don't think that's a disclaimer to avoid having to pay for vet bills and replacement puppies. I think it is a serious warning, and I wish it was bigger or maybe in red print.

Some dogs will destroy a toy in a half an hour that another dog of the same size will have their whole lives. Don't let other peoples' experiences with any other dog toy be the standard for your dog. Watch your dog when he is chewing on anything that could be a choking hazard. Some people will have to pay for expensive surgery to have the toy removed, but most peoples' dogs choke to death in front of them.

Save yourself the trauma and supervise!

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Kong-Red-Tuffy-review-03561

Nylabone killed my dog! Pet lovers beware.

If you read the fine print on the packaging you realize that this company knows the danger that their product represents.  The nylabone will fracture and can be swallowed but it is doesn't suggest.  Large fragments can become lodged in the dog's digestive system and lead to costly invasive surgery to remove it and/or death.  That's what happened to my dog; healthy and vibrant one week and gone the next.  The company referred me to the fine print and continues to sell this deadly product.

Nylabone Chew Bone is great for puppies and small dogs.

from Canton, OH

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

Nylabone Chew Bone is terrific for puppies and smaller dogs. This is a great choice for puppies going through the chewing stage. It's hard enough to help puppies get their permanent teeth without hurting them like some less quality products on the market. It's also great for small dogs who like to chew. I wouldn't suggest this for larger dogs or dog's that have a stronger jaw by breed because with extremely hard chewing chunks of this bone can break off. That of course could cause a choking hazard or stomach problems. So as is always suggested I would supervise my dog while using this product. It is very useful but just needs the proper supervision. Their are stronger toys on the market, but this particular product is more useful for puppies especially if they have their milk teeth. My yorkie is no longer a puppy but he still enjoys these bones. He does chew hard but I just keep an eye on him while he uses this toy.

Stops destruction of my things!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

I purchased an extra large Nylabone Chew Bone for my dog and it might be her least favorite thing to chew until I show interest in it. She will ignore this bone for hours until I decide to pick it up and it becomes her favorite chew toy. She'll chew on this bone on and off for several hours. She'll walk back and forth with the bone in her mouth for a couple minutes then stop and nibble on it for 20 minutes at a time. This bone does a good job of keeping tartar off her teeth, strong jaw, strong teeth, and overall mental health. The bone really comes in handy when I have work to do and I don't want my dog to become bored. When my dog becomes bored her behavior can become destructive. This bone helps her channel the pent up energy until we go for a walk or play catch. Another great thing about this bone is that it will last for a very long time. It's extremely durable and she has chewed on the same bone for months before it started to show signs of failure.

Not the Best Option Out There

from Fairfield, VA

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

Nylabone Chew Bone began to bore my adult dogs rather quickly-and I guess I don't blame them-it appears to be merely chewing on plastic and rubber, or of course, nylon. Compared to many other tastier and more texture-oriented chew bones and treats I guess it would be a rather bland experience. For a dog that will happily chew anything you give them, especially a puppy, I have little that is negative to say about this bone. However, I do wonder if the materials it is made of is actually good for the dog. When pieces break off they leave them on the floor, making a mess-I suppose this is saying something about their interest. The last ones I gave them had to be thrown away because they didn't care to chew them at all. I don't doubt it did their teeth some good while they chewed it, but I didn't notice any significant change in breath or cleanliness of their teeth. Because their are so many options out there these days, I don't know why one would bother buying Nylabone.

Love these!

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

Our dog was a big chewer and he has expensive taste having destroyed DVDS, an Xbox controller, computer charger and other various electronic items. These bones are super cheap in comparison to the items he "ate" seem to last forever. Even though he has outgrown that horrible puppy chewing stage I still really like these bones because they are made of a non-toxic plastic material so they are not something like a rawhide that he eats immediately and is done looking for something new to eat. We bought him a large breed bone and it is still in his box of goodies over a year later. He chews on it when he has the urge to chew and then leaves it till he feels the need for it again. They have a bunch of varieties to choose from including size differences, flavors (including chicken and peanut butter), and strengths for various breeds. They also have some designed for teeth health and bad breath conditions.

The best chew bone out there!

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

Nylabone chew bones are the best chew bone ever made! If you buy the right strength size for your dog they will never be able to chew through the material of the bone. I bought one for my puppy and it has lasted for three years and there is almost no bite marks at all! It lasted through his teething years and beyond and he is a big dog with a very strong bite. It comes in all sorts of colors and shapes and sizes so you can find a perfect fit for the type of chew toy your dog loves. They have almost every single type invented; there are shapes to help clean your dogs teeth as they chew, there are different flavors available that never lose their taste no matter how much the dog chews it, and there are also different shapes to allow your dog to be able to carry it around or just leave it in their favorite spot. They are so durable you do not have to worry about small pieces getting chewed off and hurting your dog. I recommend.

Awesome for puppies

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

The Nylabone Chew Bone is an awesome chew toy for puppies or small dogs who want to chew on everything. The bone is made out of hard plastic so it isn't like giving your dog a treat that will be harmful to teeth. I also like that it cleans your dog's teeth as more of the bone is chewed down. The hard part about it is that if the toy starts to break your dog could choke on small bits of plastic as it will start to come apart. I wasn't worried about the super small pieces but the pieces that were a bit bigger and that my dog couldn't digest. This can be remedied by keeping a close eye on your dog and looking at the toy to see how much has been chewed. If it looks ragged throw it away and get a new one! Another way to prevent this is to not give it to bigger dogs as they will tear it apart quickly and ingest dangerous sized pieces. The bones we purchased came in a package of three and were very reasonably priced. They can be purchased almost anywhere but usually the best prices I've found are online.

Not for Tiny Dogs

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

My dog is tiny, a Chihuahua, so he has a very tiny little mouth. When a friend (who has a much bigger dog and didn't realize how small my dog's mouth is) gave him a Nylabone as a gift I gave it to him without much hope since it was very large for him. However, it worked out rather well.

The bone is big (for him) and he certainly can't fit the entire thing in his mouth and carry it around as a bigger dog would be able to. He does enjoy nibbling on the ends though and really works at it for long periods of time. Despite him chewing away at it for several months now it shows barely any wear so it is certainly durable.

What concerns me, and why I take it away when I won't be supervising his play time, is that this is made of a very hard material so if he flops it around he could actually hit himself in the head with it and get injured. Not badly, but definitely bruised.

So, while this is good for medium to large dogs tiny dogs must be supervised while using this.

Good, Safe Chewing

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

My dog likes to chase or play catch for awhile and then lay down and chew like crazy on whatever toys she was using for the games. She destroyed a lot of toys, and then we came up with the idea of using a semi-hard chew treat like this for playtime. We'll toss the Nylabone a few times to get some play time in, and when she proceeds to the chewing portion of the evening, we like knowing that what she's working her way through is safer than rubber, yarn or other toys that she would normally try this with.

Nylabone is more expensive than other treats, but it's meant to last longer and provide the chew entertainment. We try to make one bone last 3-4 times. It's not big, perhaps 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. Our dog would destroy the whole treat on one occasion but we tend to distract her after awhile and sneak it away to hide until the next time. She seems to enjoy it, and we enjoy that there's no sharp edges, strings or un-digestible parts.

Helps Immensely with chewing problems!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

We had gotten a new puppy and once we got him fixed he changed a lot and started to chew on every single thing that was in our house. He was getting horrible and had chewed up clothes, toys, papers, and even the bottom of a door, it was getting out of hand and fast. I had tried to get him all kinds of different chew toys and none of them did anything for him, he had no interest in them. I saw these and I really liked that they looked like dog bones, and I know how much he loves bones. I bought them and to my surprise he started chewing on them right away. He loves these bones and they are the miracle worker in our house because since we started giving them to him his chewing on other objects has gone done a lot and things are not being torn up. The only thing that keeps these from getting a ten is that they are not as durable as I would like. I have to buy a new package about once a week because he destroys the other ones that he has, but other than that they have been great and keep him in line with his chewing habit.

Comments about Nylabone Chew Bone:

We had a boxer, which is a pretty big dog, who liked to chew anything and everything in it's path. We used to buy these for her to try to keep her away from our furniture and the kids toys. She loved chewing on these things and I liked that she was not damaging my stuff! These are very thick strong bones so definitely not for little dogs with small mouths. They are designed for bigger dogs. These bones last a really long time so you really get your money out of them. I would buy a pack of them and they would last months. They are very inexpensive too. The only thing I did like about these was that after she chewed on the ends of them they easily snagged on the carpet and collected her hair. It was kind of gross to see them laying on the floor with dog hair stuck on the ends! They would scratch our hands to if we wrestled with the dog for play time. Overall though these are great bones to help keep your dogs teeth nice and healthy and strong.