3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

• Side Effects:

Nutrisystem works IF you stick to the plan.

I started on the Nutrisystem plan in May of '06.  By July of '07, I had lost 90 pounds -- from 320 to 230.  I had set a goal of 170, but often thought I might change my goal to 160 so I could one day say that I had lost half of myself.

BUT.....then I started to eat a bit of this and a bit of that, so (like all my previous weight loss attempts) I started to regain the weight I had lost.  It was my own fault.  I'm one of those people who eat for taste rather than for nourishment.  By December of '08, I had regained 72 pounds.

I'm back on the plan and have lost -- or I should say RE-lost -- 10 and a half pounds.

If you stay with the plan, you WILL lose weight.  If you eat all that's allowed, you will NOT be hungry.  To me, hunger and appetite are two different things.  If I can manage to control my appetite for sweets, I know I'll lose the weight again.

The food itself is pretty good, but after 13 months, I got burnt out on it.  There were several items that I had tried, but didn't like, so I was ordering only 5 or 6 different dinner entrees.  I realize that I was causing my own burnout by limiting myself to those few dishes.  I did learn that there are entrees available in supermarkets that very closely equal the Nutrisystem items in calories, total carbs, fat, etc.  For example, several of the Hormel Compleat entrees fit in really well and were a tasty alternative.  Some people follow the NS plan but don't buy the NS food.  The NS website is a wealth of information that includes recipes.  I recently tried one for a crustless pumpkin pie -- 1/6 of which counted as one protein.  And it was quite tasty.

I found that I did best when I ate at regular intervals.  I'd have breakfast at 10, lunch at 1, snack at 4, dinner at 7, and dessert at 10.  I frequently stuck to that schedule by reminding myself that I wasn't going to starve in the next hour, or 2 hours.  I know that schedule won't work for everyone.  I'm retired and am pretty much a homebody, so that worked for me.

Final thought -- Nutrisystem is a nutritionally sound diet plan that will work if you follow the guidelines and don't cheat.  I realize now that I was mainly cheating myself.

Nutrisystem is easy to follow if you're busy and on the go.

I ordered Nutrisystem when I finally decided that being overweight and diabetic was not okay any more.  I've tried a lot of other diet approaches from pills to shakes to programs and nothing has worked for me yet.  Marie Osmond losing 45 pounds in four months intriqued me.  I knew I probably wouldn't lose it that fast, but even 45 pounds in 8 months would work for me.  Having the "big box" arrive on my doorstep automatically each month provides incentive in regard to not having to think or make excuses for not having what I need to stick to the program on hand.  The cost seems a little expensive, but really isn't when I looked at how much I was spending to eat out each month in addition to my regular grocery shopping.  You do have to add items such as salad, some dairy, and fruit, but I am buying those items for my family anyway.  I liked the color coding, and appreciated the ability to adjust my order to my liking each month prior to shipping.  Most of the food is okay.  If you are someone who isn't into to cooking and are used to eating frozen or processed food, most of the choices will be fine with you.  I hated the eggs, and found that the added fiber and soy does give you a lot of gas, which can become embarrassing.  As a diabetic, I found my sugars stayed stable, and I wasn't hungry all the time.  My diabetic nutritionist even gave me the thumbs up to using it after she researched it.  I didn't lose very fast, and became discouraged.  My nutritionist says diabetics won't lose fast, meaning no more than about a pound a week.  That makes dieting feel like and endless process and caused me to give up and cheat a few times.  It can be hard to cook for your family and then heat up a Nutrisystem meal for yourself,  but with some self talk and will power you can stick to it.  I would think that this program would work well for someone who is busy, doesn't have many food oriented social events, and is looking to not think too hard about weight loss.

I starved

Comments about Nutrisystem:

I tried the Nutrisystem diet based on the ads that make it look like it's great for men who want to lose weight, but the portions throughout the day are so small. The food was alright, mostly frozen and pre-packaged meals that don't measure up to the quality of Swanson's or Banquet or whatever else you might find at the supermarket, but as I noted, the portions are so very small. Granted, the system this works off of is similar to many diets, eating five times a day instead of three so you're less hungry going into each meal, but the portions are so small, you never get ahead. The snacks (the two extra meals that are supposed to keep you from starving in-between), for example, are usually something along the size of those 100 calorie packs you see at the supermarket, which also don't do much toward fending off hunger.

I'm sure I'd have lost a lot of weight if only I hadn't been doubling up to get decent portions.

Side Effects
If you consider constant hunger a side effect, then this plan has a bad one. I also had problems because I was involved in a workout regimen at the same time, and there wasn't nearly enough protein or other things in the diet to help me with that program. I nearly passed out several times.

One thing I will give the program is that it's easy to use. The packages come clearly marked as to what meals they represent (i.e., there shouldn't be any confusing a lunch for a dinner as long as you read the box). And you just eat what they provide.

• Side Effects:

Why would I pay so much money for such nasty food?

from Kansas

Comments about Nutrisystem:

To start off. Yes, if you stick with Nutrisystem you will lose weight because you're restricting your calories. That's just science. But the hard part is sticking to this expensive diet with their artificial and gross tasting food.

My initial reasoning for trying this diet was due to shear laziness on my part. I thought "Heck yea, I don't have to cook my own food and just get food delivered to me? SWEET!" So, the "food". It does not taste good. At all. Plus, if you are away from home you aren't always going to have a microwave handy...So that's a pain. The food is EXPENSIVE. You can make your own meals ahead of time by scratch with real ingredients for about half the price. [I do it now] I lasted about 2 months on the program and couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to gag when I ate their food. Just, no. No. No.

Their customer service folks weren't always the politest either. They got an attitude fairly quickly.

Overall, I do not recommend Nutrisystem at all. Their artificial gross food is WAY too expensive. Simply make your own healthy food ahead of time and boom, same thing but it actually tastes good!

Short Term Program

Comments about Nutrisystem:

After trying every diet on the market I decided to go a different route and see if a meal delivery plan like Nutrisystem would be the weight loss solution I was looking for. I ordered a month's worth of meals and snacks at a fairly reasonable price. It only took a week or two to receive the system. It was easy enough to follow so I was able to start the program right away. After a few weeks I grew tired of eating their food. Some of the food was fairly good, but most of it tasted artificial, overly-processed and kind of like a low-grade tv dinner. I knew I couldn't stick with this plan long-term, because of this. I lost about 10 lbs. in the few weeks I was on the program, but once I stopped and started eating normally again I gained all 10 lbs. back rather quickly. I can only see this program working if you like the food enough to stay on it long-term. That wasn't the case for me.

This program is effective as long as your able to follow it. The problem is the food doesn't taste good enough to keep you motivated to stick with this system long-term and once you return to eating what you normally would you will gain back any weight you might have lost initially. This program wasn't sustainable for me.

Side Effects
I didn't suffer any side effects while following this program.

The program is very easy to follow. With all of your meals and snacks delivered to your door, it takes the guess work out of meal planning making life more simple. I was able to start the program right away and not have to spend my precious time reading and preparing like I've had to on other programs.

Disgusting

Comments about Nutrisystem:

They advertise themselves as a weight loss system which allows you to eat delicious food and even lose weight. They deliver your meals weekly - and you simply have to reheat and 'enjoy'.

I decided to try it, it wasn't too too expensive and I had nothing to lose. I regretted that decision the minute I tasted the food. 'Delicious' food? Not even close. Cheap cafeteria food is a much more truthful description.

I barely lost any weight after two months. 3 pounds lost, and I think that's because I vomited because the food that was sent was simply unbearably bad. I had never tasted anything so vile in my entire life. I

Side Effects
I vomited one of the meals that was delivered. If that's not proof of a terrible 'side-effect', then I don't know what is.

On the positive side, the system works really well. You pay, and they ship the food and it's delivered once a week, a weeks' worth of food. It's simple, there's nothing complicated and it's the only plus I've found about nutrisystem.

• Side Effects:

These are expensive and are not effective.

from West Virginia

Comments about Nutrisystem:

A friend and I decided to save up some money and purchase these meals to kick start our weight loss.

First I have to say I was disappointed at the variety they send you. You don't get to choose the meals you want. They sent me a package deal of meals through the mail and when I opened the package, there were tons of foods inside that I simply don't and cannot eat.

I have never been a chocolate fan and have never eaten it. It's weird I know but a lot of the desserts had chocolate incorporated so I couldn't eat any of the desserts. Also, a lot of the meals were grains, breads, and pastas. I wasn't expecting that.

Overall I was disappointed with the variety in these meals.

Second, I have to say that the taste of these meals was kind of bland. A few things tasted great such as the ravioli and pork but overall the taste was bland.

Finally, I have to say that I was not happy or full with these meals. I was often left hungry and unsatisfied. After an entire month of strictly staying on Nutri System I only lost two pounds. I was working out every day, only drinking water, and eating the recommended amounts of these meals. I didn't have much energy and I was cranky. I wasted a significant amount of money on a product that didn't give me results.

I managed to lose two pounds in a month with these meals but it was far more expensive than it is worth and I was not happy.

Side Effects
I was not satisfied. My hunger pains irritated my all day and I was grouchy.

These are easy to use because they are proportioned but they do not have great taste or selection.

Too pricey

from Connecticut

Comments about Nutrisystem:

The nutrisystem diet is great if you can afford it. The food is definitely better tasting than I anticipated. Most of the food I tried had a great taste and they offer a variety of breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and desserts. I couldn't believe how real some of the foods tasted like the nutrisystem doughnut tasted very close to a real one. The diet definitely does work effectively if you keep on it but unfortunately I was not able to due to the cost. The nutrisystem diet also allows you to order meals designed to you like recommended meals for women or men which is pretty cool. There are so many different types of foods offered through the diet that it is pretty much impossible for one to not like anything from the diet and it makes it very easy. The meals and snacks are also very easy to take on the go. There is also very little prep time for most of the meals, most of the dinner ones just require you to microwave for a certain amount of time.

Simple

Comments about Nutrisystem:

If you are a person who does not have time to count calories or points or plan healthier meals, then Nutrisystem is the diet for you. Every single meal and snack that you will need will come directly from Nutrisystem. This is one thing that I did not like about it. I used Nutrisystem for around two or three months, and I finally quit because the food was just not good. Also, I really like a bunch or restaurants, and this was a problem for me. The diet did not allow me to enjoy the foods that I really like. A positive was that I did not have to cut out all carbohydrates, but just the bad ones. Limiting my sodium intake was not that good though. I will admit that when I stuck to just eating the Nutrisystem food, I lost weight. In fact, I lost around two to three pounds a week. If you don't mind enduring the nasty food and sticking with it for a few months or years, then this diet is right for you. I wish I could have gotten used to it. I would recommend this to some people.

• Side Effects:

Lost weight on Nutrisystem but sometimes felt unsatisfied.

Comments about Nutrisystem:

Overall, I lost weight on Nutrisystem (about 7 pounds) in 8 months. I opted for the ready to heat as well as the frozen meal items. The frozen meals were pretty tasty. The ready to heat meals were edible but seemed to all taste similar and I got pretty sick of the taste by the end.

I followed the meal plan and lost weight. You choose a meal option and supplement with veggies, fruit, and/or carbohydrates. The meal plan for women basically allowed for no extra carbs which I found hard. The portions were kind of small - especially if you choose a soup for your meal. Some of the meals were pasta that you add hot water to - ramen noodle style - not very satisfying. Like I said, the frozen meals were much more tasty.

Side Effects
I didn't experience any side effects.

Extremely easy to use. It comes with a booklet that is formatted like a diary, so you know exactly what you can eat for each meal. It came shipped right to my door every month and the frozen meals were packed on dry ice.

Terribly Disappointing!

Comments about Nutrisystem:

In an effort to lose weight and be a little healthier I decided to give NutriSystem a try. Being a mom and wife, I figured it would be easy to have the food all ready to eat and just pick which one I wanted. I needed to choose from the lower-carb options, which really limited the variety. I chose to purchase two months at once to save money. It was still more that we could really afford, but I thought it might be worth the health benefits in the long run. I'm not a huge eater, so eating small portions wasn't very daunting, but I still wasn't prepared for how small the portions really were. Even still, I paid the money and was going to give 100%. I followed the plan to the letter. Most of the food was quite unappetizing, both in appearance and in flavor. The small portions not only left me hungry, but left me with a great deal of intestinal discomfort (which is rare for me). And after two months of awful food and feeling sickly the results were in... I had actually gained 3 pounds!

Gained weight instead of losing!

Side Effects
Intestinal discomfort.

Easy enough to use, just not enjoyable.

• Side Effects:

Works if you are very dedicated

Comments about Nutrisystem:

I tried Nutrisystem to help me with my weight loss goals, and I was pleasantly surprised by the success I had. I was able to lose weight very quickly, but it really was not an easy solution. As soon as I stopped eating the Nutrisystem I seemed to gain the weight back right away. Also a lot of the meals smelled awful and tasted even worse. A few of the meals tasted good. Nutrisystem was also very expensive.

Nutrisystem worked very well. I was able to lose weight quickly, however I was not able to maintain my weight loss after I stopped eating the Nutrisystem.

Side Effects
I did not have any side effects using Nutrisystem.

Nutrisystem is very simple to use. The meals are shipped right to your door, and all you have to do is put them in the microwave.