View more smartphones

Nokia Smartphone

Pros

Cons

Nokia E71 - a smartphone ahead of its time

I have owned the Nokia E71 for over two years now, and used it as my primary cell phone up until two months ago. Before the E71, I had a Samsung dumbphone, so of course I was awed by all the functionality of a smartphone versus a dumbphone. My Samsung, while very pretty, was also a little on the fragile side - after only a couple of drops, it showed its wear and internal components began to break. This Nokia E71, however, is the opposite. The E71 is one of the sexiest smartphones with a portrait qwerty, and it was built like a rock. I owned it for 2 years and it was still running as well as the first day I got it (actually, probably better since the newer firmwares were remarkably more stable than the first firmware). I dropped it many times and it barely showed the scratches.

Symbian, while an aging smartphone platform, was way ahead of its time. It provided functions five years ago that Android and Iphone still can't get right. It works so well on so little memory. It's speedy, it does true multitasking, it allows installing programs on memory card, and its browser has always supported flash. Sure, it's also missing some functions, like a working app market and proper touchscreen support, but I really think symbian gets overlooked a lot. I don't mind it at all, and I think it functions very well as a business phone.

The E71 has a very good tactile keyboard, which is on the smaller side but is definitely not too small for typing. It came with a QR code reader way before anyone in the US even knew what QR codes were. It has a front-facing camera and came with a built-in SIP client. It lacked a flashlight, and no one ever wrote a proper app for that, but that might be my biggest criticism of this otherwise impeccable phone. Its processor is on the slow side and there is very little RAM, but S60v3 FP1 requires less ram than FP2, and I found the E71 always performed adequately fast, and never ran into any memory issues.

All in all, its pros definitely outweigh its cons, and if I had a dumbphone today, I would not hesistate to pick up an E71 as my first smartphone.

The Nokia E71 looks better than it performs.

Briefly after starting my own consulting business, I purchased the Nokia E71 Cell Phone back in February 2010 as a cellphone replacement for my old Nokia Cellphone.  I originally chose the E71 because it seemed like a decent alternative to a Blackberry, which I’ve played with for a brief period and found unappealing.  The biggest selling point for me was the fact that the E71 comes unlocked.  This meant that I could just pop in my current SIM card and use the phone on my existing network (T-Mobile).  I also liked the overall design of the phone, which boasted a full QWERTY keypad – at the time, I was very apprehensive towards touch-based products.  The Good:  I was very pleased with the overall design of the E71 upon my initial inspection of the phone.  The case is made of metal (or some metal alloy) which lends the phone an air of solidity and sturdiness.  The phone looked great, very sleek and slim, and the dark metallic case gave it a look of professionalism and class.  It was solid in the hand, and the back of the case had a nice textural feel that made the phone easy to grip and hold.  It comes with maps, but I never used it.  Pairing with blue tooth devices was easy, and my laptop recognized the phone well enough to send files back and forth.  Of course, the SIM card worked perfectly well and I was able to transfer all contacts and whatnot without a problem.  Battery life is good and I was able to go without a recharge for almost 24 hours of talk, messaging, and light browsing.  Wifi is included so I was able to browse the web on my home network.  The Bad:  Although the metal case is good to look at, it is a major fingerprint magnet.  I have to constantly wipe the phone, and after a while I just gave up.  The screen is vibrant but I found it too small to be functional, particularly for web browsing, in fact I gave up on browsing because I was so annoyed by the small screen.  Worse, call reception was sketchy at times and there were times when I was getting less than full reception when those around me had full reception.  Bluetooth connection failed intermittently as well.  The ultimate downfall of the E71 is the fact that the operating system is so slow.  Menus would lag when opened up, and there were brief pauses here and there throughout the course of my days and I constantly found myself waiting for my phone – which is a no go for a person on the go.  In the end, the E71 looks better than it performs.  5 out of 10 from me.

Fine But Flawed

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

I bought my Nokia E71 at the years end 2011. It is far superior to the Blackberry Curve which this phone replaced

Battery Life
As long as you don't leave any applications running while the phone is otherwise not in use, I only have to charge it once every 3 days. However if use it frequently for example, listening to music, then I must charge it once per day. If I turn the phone off while charging it, it fully charges within 15 minutes.

Display/Screen Quality
The screen is small, but the picture quality is very clear. Very good resolution. It takes very good photos.

Call Quality
Clear calls, no issues whether using handset option or loud speaker

It has lots of screen icons for short cuts. It is easy to store lots of pictures and music . It allows you to create folders to save photos, and has options programmed to allow you to sort your downloaded music by artist and by playlist. The headphone jack is not a standard. It is not compatible with most headphones. It is smaller and therefore requires an adapter which isn't always easy to find.

I've dropped mine several times, but never broke or shattered it. A protective case is highly recommended.

It is sleek and very pretty. The buttons are very small. Good if you have small hands, slim fingers or long fingernails. If you don't, you will probably have a hard time typing.

• Call Quality:

Budget smartphone, nice features--simple but powerful

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

This is one of Nokia's most prominent smartphone offerings. I got it for a great price when purchasing a plan from AT&T. I actually do not have a data plan for this phone, but I often use it to access the internet via Wi-Fi, which works really well. This phone is more similar to your traditional Blackberry than to newer touch-screen devices. The screen is not large, but big enough for most purposes (can be a little hard to look at large webpages). The keyboard is really nice, since it is small and compact, but not too difficult to use (in my opinion)--I rarely have trouble typing and I text very regularly. The battery does not last very long (only about 2 days with heavy use, in my experience). Possibly the nicest thing about this phone is that it is very small for a smartphone (very thin and sleek), so it is very easy to carry in your pocket. It also has a pretty nice camera, better than most phones I've seen (3.2 MP, with a flash). It also comes with a USB adapter making it easy to hook up to your computer. A negative note is that the headphone jack is slightly smaller than the standard size, which is annoying (probably wouldn't want to use this as an mp3 player). All around a nice bargain smartphone--not as many cool bells and whistles (or apps) as an iPhone or Android phone, but gives you all the basics.

Battery Life
Was poor to begin with, needed charging every other day or so. Now, after 2.5 years, cannot even last a full day!

Display/Screen Quality
Small screen but decent quality

Call Quality
Has worsened with time, more distorted output from speaker

Still operational after 2.5 years, bumps & bruises

Nokia E71 - Less than satisfied

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

This was my first venture into the smartphone market and I was less than satisfied. Limited applications and the phone manuevered clumsily from item to item. It was difficult for me to set up my email and it never really seemed to update itself when new mail arrived. The keypad was very small and I repeatedly found myself hitting the worng keys when typing up text messages. I did like the fact that if I was only using the phone for calls and texting the battery routinely lasted almost 2 days on a single charge. And installing pictures and music was very easy. I had this phone for a year and although it performed well, takes incredible pictures and had outstanding battery life, if I had the option for a do-over, I would not purchase this phone again. Internet access was slowand the only mainstream app that worked for it was Google (maps/search and email).

E71- Best Nokia Ever

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

I had my E71 for a month and I am happy. I had many smartphones and most recently was an iPhone. I liked the iPod functions of the iPhone, easy synchronization with iTunes, the big screen for videos, etc. but found nothing better for my business and communication needs are. And I never had the overthrow of the virtual keyboard. Even after several months of use, followed by numerous spelling errors. The first thing that struck me is on the E71 when I saw in a shop as it was beautifully designed. However, when I discovered it was a Symbian phone, I was a little leary that my experience with the operating system is not very positive. But after reading some reviews, I decided to go there, and I could not be happier. This is a great e-mail device. I set it to sync my work exchange account information for e-mail and PIM, and I'm costs with Nokia (for now anyway), the mail client in my behalf. Mac pushed the E71.The phone is very quick to respond and the keyboard is very nice. Unlike the iPhone, I can write quickly and accurately. There are many other functions such as Nokia with iTunes on my Mac, GPS, many 3rd party software Audible Player for ebooks, sync negative 3g to my laptop with the Wireless Access Point software.One Joiku. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it is very tempremental and just not connect. The only negative I can think came from a friend who also bought a E71. Having trouble reading the small print and was used for the function of setting the font on BB Curve. There is no way to expand the sources of the E71 and maybe a little small for some. Apart from that, I recommend this phone.

Nokia E71 - a smartphone ahead of its time

from Pasadena, CA

Love my Nokia E71!

from Cullman, AL

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

I bought this Nokia cell phone last year and I love it. I tried to switch to an iphone but could not get used to not having my keyboard or my calender being on my screen. The calender as a wallpaper is my life saver! I use it every day for everything and just have to glance down at my phone to see what my appointments are, or what events I have coming up! Great to use to search the web and check email also! Love using Wi-Fi on this phone. The camera is also pretty good! I was very impressed with it and still am. I use it nearly every day...more than my regular, expensive camera since it is so convienent! I also like that you can change and rearrange what shortcuts are on your screen. At first this phone seems delicate but I can say that I've dropped this phone on accident so many times and it has held up very well! The buttons are a little small but it doesnt bother me, I got used to it quickly. Good buy!!

I love my Nokia E71

from Saint Peters, MO

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

I recently purchased a Nokia E71. I had researched many phones and choose this particular one for it's awesome features! It has a slim design and a full QWERTY keyboard. The design is similiar to the Blackberry with a sleek stainless steel back. The keys are definitely small, but do the job. The screen is also a bit small. The many features totally make up for those two things. Some of the features include WI-FI, 3G support with the ability to quickly check facebook, multiple email accounts, and even has a GPS feature that totally replaced my Garmin in my truck. The battery life seems good, especially since I have been surfing the web all day on it! I love the muxic player, as I can download realplayer videos directly from YouTube. I am definitely satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this product!

I love my Nokia E71

from Taylors, SC

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

My husband and I both got Nokia E71 phones from Straight Talk and so far we are loving them! This is my first smart phone so I'm amazed at how much such a small phone can do. I don't think I would recommend this to someone who is used to Blackberrys or Iphones because the Nokia Ovi app store is not as popular as Iphone, Blackberry or Android markets. I am enjoying being able to go to web pages that I couldn't go to with my Razr. There's even a forward facing camera so you can video chat (I'm loving that lately). I love the blackberry-like design. It has a place on the home screen where your email pops up as it comes in. It has a GPS too! I really can't think of anything I dislike about my phone. I looked through the "Cons" topics and I don't agree with any of them. All I can think of are pros for this phone!

Great Older Smart Phone

from Yadkinville, NC

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

I got my nokia e71 a few weeks ago for straight talk unlimited. I love it i know its an older smart phone but its a great piece of tech. Symbian takes some time to learn i cam from windows mobile 6.1 i doubt ill go back . Theres so man applications and neat things about the phone. Tons of free apps to. What i like most about the phone is its made of real metal it feels solid and had actual weight to it. Very high quality feel. I wont go back to a regular phone the build is wondeful i like that it doesnt feel plasticky and cheap. att 3g is super fast wifi connects with a breeze and the camera has a flash and takes really good pictures for 3.2mp. Im not disapointed at all with this purchase infact my best friend got one and loves it as much as i do. there are some things i dont like. No touch screen and the screen is kinda small but thats really ok its vibrant and colorful pics and text show up great.

Garbage

from Carmel, CA

Comments about Nokia Smartphone:

I have the Nolia E71x and it is the worst phone I have ever had - a piece of junk. The phone has very low volume on its speakerphone, which is a big con for me because I always use speakerphone, never the earplugs or in the ear. Also, I had to recently travel internationally and I got some code to unlock my phone. Well, it could not get unlocked successfully. Also, the phone often just dies...the screen fades and nothing works, especially when I need to use the phone urgently. I have approached my cellphone carrier and there is no issue at theri end. My spouse has the same phone and is experiencing the esact same issu so we know it is not just one unit but the E71x itself. I am on a contract with AT&T so cannot cancel out either so need to go buy a different pay-as-you go phone until my contract ends. This phone has been a sheer pain. What a pathetic technological failure. Do not waste your money on this unsmart phone