Other Video Game Consoles:

Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console

Pros

Cons

• Controller Comfort:

fun, entertaining, and makes you sweat

I really love the Nintendo Wii Fit balance board and game. If you're using it as a weight-type program, it has a place to customize a profile for yourself and set your weight loss goals for a period of time and it will track your progress as you go along. I'm not sure how effective it is as a weight loss tool, but I found it to be lots of fun! The game has over 40 activities for balance, strength, and flexibility. I had the most fun with the balance games, especially where you have to hit soccer balls with your head and get out of the way of the shoes being thrown at you and the skiing and ski jumps. I also really liked the yoga. It relaxed me when I was tense, and I think it is cool how you can pick your own personal trainer who shows you how to do everything and then tells you what you are doing wrong. The yoga really helped me with balance and to strengthen certain areas of the body. The aerobics area really makes you break a sweat. I was out of breath after running my half mile, so it has to be doing some good. I recommend this for adults who want to get more active or for those who want to get their children more active while having fun at the same time. You never even have to leave your living room to work out!

Entertaining while it's a novelty and then not so much

The Wii fit board was an interesting idea. I thought it was cool how it could tell you where you put your weight when you stand and it measures your weight and calculates your BMI. There seemed to be a lot of potential for such a thing. However, the games for it are not entertaining for long. Honestly, the Wii can get you sweating, but it's hard to stay motivated with it. I've done hula hoop, pilates, and running with the Wii Fit game. I definitely feel like I'm trying to work out more than I am playing a game the whole time. I am a big video gamer, but I also like to stay in shape. That's why I thought this might be for me. I was wrong about that. Going to the gym is a better work out, taking up a sport is more fun. I wouldn't pay the cost of the Wii Fit just as a scale and posture evaluator. It's too much hassle to use as a daily diary/weight tracker to pull it out each time.

Now, speaking of games made for the balance board, I haven't played any good ones. I've tried a few, but none of them are particularly entertaining. The Kinect for the Xbox is more fun than the Wii board games. I ended up selling mine and can say that while it was a neat concept, it wasn't a good investment.

Graphics Quality
Nintendo Wii graphics. They aren't bad, but they aren't as good as their competing consoles.

Game Variety
The Wii itself has a good variety of family and multiplayer games. It lacks good single player and online games. The Wii board has very few games and most of them are OK at best.

Controller Comfort
When you compare this to the Kinect, which can recognize movements of your entire body, it's very limited. The board is small and playing games on it is more hassle than fun.

It's not hard to use, per say. Some games don't recognize movements on it easily. Also, using it seems "forced" rather than natural.

There are weight limits for the Wii fit board. I don't have an issue with this myself, but I've known people who are very over weight and cannot use this.

I like the Wii Fit Balance board a lot!!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

I got the Wii Fit Balance Board awhile ago and I have to say that it's been great! I used this along with the Wii Fit game and it was a fun way to stay active and burn some calories. There are so many different activities that you can do as well. It's easy to turn on and start up. You can do weigh ins and even weigh your kids and pets. It also has some balance training games if you need to work on having a better balance for your body. I have really enjoyed using this and my family has had fun with it as well. The board is nice and sturdy and stays in place really well also.

Graphics Quality
I think that the graphics are really good. It does a good job of keeping track of what you are doing and doing things at the same that you do.

Game Variety
There are so many different activities that you can choose from. I like the variety of options.

Controller Comfort
The controller is easy to use and comfortable. The strap comes in handy so it won't be dropped as easily.

It's really easy to use, set up and play.

The board is very sturdy and strong. It has circle things on the bottom to keep it in place.

Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

When you think of playing video games, you usually are sitting, but when this product hit the shelves that all changed. I have never seen my kids or other family members get so interested in a gaming system, and quite frankly I love it myself. For those of you unfamiliar with the Wii system you do indeed have to own the Wii in order for the balance board to work. I find it amazing that this board can so accurately measure each user as far as weight and strength. We have owned the board for over 6 years and it still works perfectly. It is wireless so you do have to change batteries from time to time depending on your usage level. It takes up no space, we just slide it under the couch when not in use. It is simple once you set it up and sync to the Wii game system. You stand on it, choose the game or workout, and follow the directions on the screen. You can run, bike, do step aerobics, play soccer, etc. There are tons of things to do. My kids love this and so do I, can be used for daily workouts or just for having fun with the family!

Excellent

Outstanding

Wonderful

Fun way to keep fit!

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

Although it does not replace a true workout going to the gym (and hitting the weights/running on a treadmill), the Wii balance board allows for fun, interactive workout experience at home.

Graphics Quality
The Wii's graphics are not as life-like as those of Playstation or Xbox, but the graphics are still pretty good. I prefer more of the cartooon like qualities of the Wii as it reminds me of older Nintendo systems I have grown up with.

Game Variety
There's a bunch of a different activities you can do with the balance board. It lets you do things like simulated skiing and snowboarding.

Controller Comfort
Pretty easy to use and navigate as you are playing the games.

Easy to use.

Have had this for over a year with no issues. After a power outage, the Wii console itself required a "hard re-start" which simply involved uplugging it from all electrical sources for a short period of time and plugging it back in again. Have had no problems with the game console since.

Love this

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

Great product if you're wanting a low key workout that integrates gameplay and fun into getting fit. I wouldn't say this is all you need, but it does serve as a great alternative to other games, whereas you're working out while you play!

Graphics Quality
Great graphics and lots of options when playing

• Controller Comfort:

Love the wii and would recommend it to anyone!!!!

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

Absolutely love our wii. Keeps the kids entertained for hours. Has a great game selection to purchase for it. Use the wii fit board atleast a couple times a week. Also like that u can purchase games through the wii. Would recommend the wii to anyone looking for a games console to buy!!!!

Graphics are okay.

Game Variety
Has a wonderful selection of games.

Controller Comfort
We have several controllers for the wii and like them all.

Very easy to use.

Very durable. The kids get rough with the controllers from time to time. And they have never broke.

Great Indoor Alternative for Exercise

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

My family has been using this for about 5 years now and had no problems. It's easy on battery use and hasn't needed any repairs whatsoever. We like using the wii fit with it and getting some feedback on our weight, strength, balance, etc. When it's not ideal weather outside or we can't leave the house, it's great to have something indoors that's still fun and active. I'd much rather my children use this than a more static game. The fit game has a few team games, but for the most part they're individual. It tracks my weight and bmi, which is also nice to have a record of to keep me accountable. One perk I didn't know about ahead of time that is very helpful is that it works on carpet!

Graphics Quality
It's not gaming graphics, but for the purpose of my needs it's good enough.

Game Variety
I'd like to see some more activities in the future, but the ones they have are fun.

No troubles here.

It's very straightforward and even my young son can navigate the game and board.

5 years of regular use and still going strong.

Love it

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

I love that it's not so big and that it easily fits under my bed when I am not using it. However I don't Like that it shuts off if you run to use the rest room or to take a call. And after a while your feet start to hurt while using it. I suggest buying a gel cover for it or wearing socks/shoes.

Graphics Quality
The wii fit board looks grate and i like that there is many things I can but to change it up/switch the feel or color.

Game Variety
It works with so many games. I love that fact. And I love the fact that for most games I only need the wii board and not the paddle. Its a grate way to teach balance.

Controller Comfort
like I stated it the main comment. (After a while your feet start to hurt while using it. I suggest buying a gel cover for it). Or wearing socks/shoes.

It is real easy to use. Easy to turn on. Easy leveling on the ground on any floor. Light enough to where a child can pick it up and use it.

Very durable. I have dropped it a few time. And it still works grate.

• Controller Comfort:

Truly helped with weight loss

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

The Nintendo wii fit balance board and game console truly helped me with my weight loss and it was fun doing it too. They have many different workout activities and they also have games that help with my workouts. The best part about it is that my kids can participate too. This is the one video game i don't mind them playing for hours.

• Controller Comfort:

This is a great system for the whole family to exercise together

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

I love, love, love my Wii Fit Balance Board and Game System! It makes exercising fun for the whole family. I homeschool my kids and this is great for us to use for exercise during their PE time. These are great for me to get in some quick exercise during my busy day. This system is also great for the late fall, winter or rainy days when you don't want to go outside but still want to stay fit. I would never trade this system for anything!

Graphics Quality
The graphics are fun too. We all love having our own character to use. We also like to see how our character reflects how we look. Even with our weight our character will gain or thin out as we do.

Game Variety
The game variety is good. It's enough for my family to have lots of fun with.

This system is so easy to use that my 7 year old daughter uses it and has since she was 5.

This whole system along with the balance board and controllers are very durable. We have had ours for several years and will buy another when time come that we need to.

• Controller Comfort:

Great idea that still needs work

Comments about Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and Game Console:

As with anything, the newer it is the less quality you'll get. Remember phone lines that were shared among neighbors? It's not as painful as that, but I bet at some point this board could be something as great as cell phones are today. Basically it tracks your movements by weight on the board and sends it to the console. Some games this board works flawlessly for, other games you're always just slightly avoiding crashing on your head trying to get your mii to do what you want.

Graphics Quality
Wii has never been something to boast about for graphics and I think that's understood by anyone who buys a wii.

Game Variety
I don't know of all the options you get for the wii board as far as games, but from what I've seen there is enough to get your moneys worth if you're willing to spend a bit more money to get those games. Don't expect perfect precision though, as mentioned above, but perhaps with practice you can make this stone age piece of hardware do great things.

Controller Comfort
Not much to say about it here, you stand on it and lean or hop. Maybe if they added a bit of cushion to the surface? But I'm sure that would interfere with the sensors.

I've never heard of one of these breaking, and with all the abuse they get I'm slightly surprised I haven't. I haven't looked to see if anyone has broken one though so maybe I'm just out of the loop. As far as I can tell, for it's purpose these are very well constructed.