View more video game consoles

2,085 reviews

(based on 2085 reviews)

Pros

Cons

The Nintendo Wii: A stroke of genius

A couple of years ago, the buzz was that Nintendo had decided it could no longer afford to compete with Sony and Microsoft in a third generation of super game platforms and that they were going to retrench to a smaller simpler niche.

While Sony and Microsoft threw massive amounts of money at there new offerings and introduced game platforms with some incredible graphic capability, Nintendo quietly struck out into a new direction and launched the Nintendo Wii.

Well, the people have spoken and anyone who had counted Nintendo down for the count have some pondering to do.

Nintendo did in fact go in a completely new direction.  And that direction has gotten its fan's fannies off the couch!

My in-laws recently purchased a Wii for their precious granddaughter.  Being the grandparents they are, they would have purchased any game platform she asked for.  Her platform of choice?  You guessed it, The **Nintendo Wii.**

At the heart of this new direction of video games is a remote control that is motion sensitive.  So, instead of sitting on a couch just pressing buttons and developing Carpal-Tunnel Syndrome, you are usually on your feet in the midst of the game you are playing.

**Nintendo Wii Sports**

Queue this game series up by inserting the DVD and suddenly you are really playing tennis or baseball or bowling.  After a recent afternoon tennis match with my daughter I found that I had actually worked up a sweat.  Now that's a game system!  Your immersion into the game doesn't rely on incredible graphics, but rather your physical participation in the game.

**Backward Compatibility**

Over the last couple of decades, Nintendo had developed scores of classic video games.  Well, they are available to the Wii.  This was a master stroke of genius on Nintendo's part.  It opens a huge inventory of games to newer players while it appeals to the older players who remember these games fondly in their initial release.

**My Viewpoint**

I like the idea of a game system that encourages physical activity no matter how slight (darts, for example).  The Nintendo Wii is currently leading the pack in terms of sales.  I guess there are an awful lot of parents and kids who seem to share my feeling.

I'd like to continue blabbing, but my daughter is motioning to me.  Apparently I'm due to bowl at 5PM.  I am expecting to be trounced.  Pray for me.Regards,Rudi

The Wii is sleek and different - but that's about all it is...

When a first time buyer of the Wii purchases this new and exciting game system they think, "Wow! This is gonna be awesome!".The Wii is preceeded by societies greatest gaming systems all honed to a level of timeless perfection that which the past generation has nothing but words of awe for.But does the Wii compare?Does the Wii carry on this legacy?

Unlike it's predecessors, the Wii is purely a matter of opinion.

With the rising power of Microsoft and Sony as Nintendo's competitors the Wii is possibly the first Nintendo system which has to work for it's place in line. And for the most part it has done a fantastic job at that.

However, globally the opinion of the Wii and equally the Nintendo DS varies greatly.But in my own individual opinion - The Wii is a entirely different game system from anything else and this may be it's biggest fault.

Where would we be without progress?The Stoneage likely...But sometimes you can't help but stick to the tried and the true. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have stuck with the proven methods of gaming and have taken a different approach to progress than Nintendo with their Wii consol.

Sony designs new additions to their consols. Showing by their limited consol list begiining in 1994 with the original Playstation, Sony has stuck simply to developing better games and more powerful systems.Microsoft has done well since its inception in 2001 with their Xbox consol by providing the highest level of power mixed with style and the exceptional capablity of Xbox-Live!

Nintendo chose to redesign the gaming consol itself with their wii-mote and nunchuck controllers. A bold move considering the long history of the controlling unit barely changing for two and a half decades.The new controllers were met with undivided interest and awe. Old Nintendo gamers and new faces alike were intrigued and fought eagerly to have a go.

In my experience thus far with the Wii the new controlling system is clunky at best. And when it is not clunky it is far too sensative. The only gave I have played that worked well enough with the wii-mote was Resident Evil 4 but this was more my devotion to the game than to the system controlling it...

In my opinion, simple to say, the only redeeming feature in this case is it's ability to use gamecube controllers for Super Smash Brothers: Brawl.

Moving on from the controllers which are worth a small book on their own, next - the unit itself.

The Wii is remarkably small. A beautiful thing in our cluttered age, always struggling to find room for everything. But the size brings about two unfortunate problems...

First off the Wii is also quite delicate. Mine has survived it's first dramatic fall just this past weekend but has shown some signs of odd stalling and lag since the incident.

And then it's need for open space. It's kind of like having a mini-cooper and needing to park it in a two car garage all on it's own...The Wii tends to over-heat. So it's small size is pointless when you factor in the amount of space required to keep it with ventilation. We had to buy a fan attachment and prop it up on blocks so it could breath.(And by the way, the fan attachment is for all intent and purpose a noise maker, it doesn't seem to cool the unit down any.)

As computers expand and game systems follow close behind we find ourselves entering the world wide web.Sony and Microsoft shot past Nintendo in their push for online gaming and Nintendo has not even begun to catch up.

I've talked to so many people who lag badly on Nintendo Wi-fi. Any more than two players and you'll spend the next 20 minutes watching Fox and Mario be lost in lag-land.

Nintendo has been my favorite gaming company since I was very young. When my cousin gave me his NES consol and original Gameboy I was the happiest kid on earth.

And I won't deny that the Wii has some cool features and has games that I certainly wouldn't trade for the other systems. But at the end of the day the Wii cannot compare to Xbox or Playstation. And really, it can't truly be compared to its predecessors.

It's not a bad system. But ufortunately, in my opinion, it was released a few years too late.

Reviewed by 2085 customers

Family Video Game Machine

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

This is a revolutionary game console, it basically represents everything you want out of a family game, its basically designed for everybody!! But for families of 5 or more, someone or a few people might have to step out. And the WiiSports, WiiSportsResort, and WiiFit are the best games for families, however WiiPlay is a father-son thing. But if you have 4 controllers you are good to go.

Graphics Quality
There are two types of resolutions, standard definition and widescreen, standard is all stretched and mostly designed for CRT TV's and Box ones and widescreen is probably 720p or maybe 1080p (probably 720 considering its age)

Game Variety
You will not be able to find Need For Speed And GranTurismo and Call Of Duty and GTA and Saints Row and what not, its all family and child based, like Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Kirby, etc.. but good news is if you want to play the old console games like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong and Sonic than you are in luck because you can download all these games off the Wii Shop channel for your money. With Wii Points you buy with your credit/debit card

Hold a TV Screen Remote and thats how it feels

The Wii has a pretty easy UI but you need to aim your controller to some sensor thing, mine is on top of a wall mounted flatscreen tv so thats probably the best way to go, also the best way to not break your back!

My Wii has actually never fallen over or been dropped so honestly I am guessing its good since its designed for families with younger children .

• Controller Comfort:

A Great Investment, even used.

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

We love our Wii, its the first gaming console my husband has had since the Atari when he was a kid. We have a variety of games, from World War II flying games, to crab fishing games. I love that it can play gamecube games as well.

Graphics Quality
Much better graphics than older consoles.

Game Variety
There is a good variety of games, from traditional Mario games to Oregon Trail. Plus you can get games online direct to your Wii.

Controller Comfort
The controllers are fairly comfortable.

Very easy to use, my 3 year old niece loves to bowl on the Wii and my 70+ year old Grandmother plays as well.

The system holds up great, my only recommendation is to get a charging station for the controllers rather than using regular batteries in them. The drain on the batteries is pretty quick but with the charging station you're always ready to go without the hassle of taking the batteries out and putting them into a separate charging station if you have rechargeables or the expense of constantly buying batteries if you just use regular AA batteries.

• Controller Comfort:

Nintendo for life, this console is awesome

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

This is our primary gaming console. We are a Nintendo household through and through. We love that many of our nouveau-classic games are available to play on the Wii console. We are particularly happy that we can use the old N64 controller with it. We love it for games such as Mario kart. I do not like the Wii as much for application use. For instance it's basically rubbish for Internet surfing. And it's very difficult to watch any of your on media on it. You can't use it for watching your own discs or your own files. I also don't like the Netflix app for the Wii as much as using Netflix on other devices. You can't binge watch. You have to click a button every single time the episode ends. Our Wii remotes drain very quickly doing this. We would have to buy an extra attachment to be able to recharge the Wii remotes rather than just allowing them to eat up batteries. Our cat frequently relocates the sensor bar and we had to tape it to the top of our TV. It would be nice if it wasn't so flimsy. And I don't like the range for where we can be in the room. Some games require me to either get closer to the TV or further away from the TV depending. All in all I love the system and I will keep it for many years to come.

Dangerous

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

Nintendo Wii is a wireless game console that is a lot of fun. This game console offers a huge range of game varieties and will entertain you for hours. The only problem I have with this console is that playing it can be dangerous. I personally witnessed three separate events where the Wii controller was thrown or someone was hit by another player.

Wii would like to play.

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

The wii is a fun system to use and is great for anyone into Nintendo games, and I also think this is the best system to get a kid.

Graphics Quality
The graphics on the wii are not the best, but then again they were meant to be. The games on this are soft of cartoony and the wii portrays them beautifully. The games look like they are a cartoon and human hybrid.

Game Variety
The wii has a variety of games but is pretty repetitive in the type of party games it has. Also the wii sports games, and arcade games are repetitive and haven't really changed much over the years. But the old fashioned Nintendo games on the console is where the real fun in my opinion is at. You can't go wrong with sonic or super Mario bros.

Controller Comfort
The controller fits in you hands perfectly no matter the size, it is a long stick that was just meant to be in your hands. And the buttons are well placed on the controller.

The wii is also a very easy system to use, it is very easy for kids to use, and will not pose any problems in discovering hoy to use the system.

I've never had any problems with my system and I doubt I ever will. I've hardly heard of problems with the wii so it is very durable. And I bet it could be drop from a good height and not break.

love it

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

the wii has given me and my family countless fun times. it's a shame it's discontinued. i've had two of them, which lasted me a very very long time. it's fun to play the games with the interactive interface and i like how it involves physical activity. my personal favorite to play on this is mario kart :)

Room to grow

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

I think the Wii has potential but it certainly lacks in a few key areas. The controls don't always work well and the sensor doesn't always work properly. However, This system is a ton of fun to play with other people, Especially if you get the right game to play. That alone makes it worth checking out.

Graphics Quality
The graphics are no where near as good as the PS3 or Xbox 360 and that's certainly disappointing. As a whole however, It's nothing to complain too much about but it could always be better.

Game Variety
I mean aside from sports games, Mario, and Zelda games, There really isn't much in terms of variety. I really would like to see them expand on the types of games they offer because it just isn't cutting it for me.

Controller Comfort
The controllers work very well. The sensor is a little difficult at times but using the controllers makes things far easier to handle.

Simple turn on the controller, Sign in on your profile, Pop in a game, and play. Couldn't get easier than that. I'd say a big plus for me is how easy the controllers sync up while ones for the 360 take a long time.

Had it for years and it still works like it's brand new.

Nintendo Wii..A Game Changer and perfect for the whole family

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

We purchased the Wii a few years ago and have continued to enjoy it since. The whole concept of controlling the character on the screen using various motions and options made you feel like you were actually in the game. My family loves to play bowling, Zelda, tennis plus countless other games on the Wii, as there seems to be a little bit of something for everyone. I’ve always enjoyed earlier consoles but there’s just something about this one that feels just right.

I also love the fact that you can download classic games via the Wii store. With just a few clicks I was playing Mike Tyson’s Punch Out and Ice Hockey just like the old days. Most of the older games are extremely cheap and a great deal. That alone was worth getting the console itself.

Also the option to make your own “Mii” character to even add a additional level of excitement to the game was a great concept to.

My only complaint would be that the battery life for the remotes doesn’t last forever and it can be frustrating when attempting to put them on the charger and not getting that full charge as the string in the back of the controller is blocking the way.

I recommend this system for people of all ages, especially if you have younger kids.

• Controller Comfort:

Nintendo - Wii Gaming System offers something for everyone.

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

My father-in-law's Christmas gift to my family was a Nintendo Wii. My husband and I were on the fence about the gift. We had held off purchasing a video game system because we thought it would consume too much precious time and encourage our families tendency to be couch potatoes. The Wii we thought might be different as it encourages movement and focus.

We have been happy with the Wii - both with the active gaming and customer support. We love that we can stay active by interacting with the gaming system. While no-one has lost a lot of weight, everyone have stayed active. And the few times we have had challenges our questions were answered in a reasonable amount of time and thoughtfully. In this day and age that is in and of itself is something to note.

We also love the fact that the Wii allows us to download movies from Netflix, work on our fitness and surf the web. The games can be expensive especially when you add in batteries or a docking system to recharge rechargeable batteries.

It's a great system for parties. There are several dance games with contemporary music. With three kids who have a bundle of energy, I couldn't ask for more.

One of the Best Game Consoles Yet

Comments about Nintendo Wii Console:

The Wii is definitely an improvement over all of Nintendo's previous consoles. It's got a good variety of both normal games and fitness games, lots of good features added in, and lots of neat accessories.

Graphics Quality
There are many games that have beautiful graphics. A personal favorite of mine is Sonic Colors which is a lot like the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games for the Sega Genesis only with the CGI animation look, and the stages look beautiful.

Game Variety
Like most other game consoles, this system has a good variety of different games. I love that I can now get some exercise by playing video games, while I can still many "sit on your butt" games as well. I also love how I can make my own characters with the Mii feature and play as either them or myself in some games. Another new thing I look forward to is Disney Infinity where I can make up my own worlds and play with virtual action figures of various Disney characters.

Controller Comfort
The Wii remote mostly feels comfortable with the fitness games, but with sidescroller games, it takes time to get used to since I'm used to using the GameCube controller. There are some games where the motion control works well like Wii Fitness while there are ones where it feels broken like Sonic and the Secret Rings. I was happy when Sonic Colors went back to the old ways and had the GameCube controller compatible. Sadly, it's the last Sonic game where I'm able to use the GC controller now that the future games will all be on the Wii U, but thankfully the Wii U controller is more like the GC one than the Wii remote is.