View more video game consoles

Other Video Game Consoles:
Nintendo
NXGBASP-7065
Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console

Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console

Pros

Cons

• Controller Comfort:

I see the light! Oh crap, am I dead?

To silence the critics Nintendo finally gives us a new flip top Gameboy with an optional light feature so you can finally see those games in dark situations plus it also comes with its battery charger so you don't need to buy loads of batteries any more. The system is called the **Gameboy Advance SP**.

The SP is no different, technically, then the GBA, lets get that right off the bat. It is still a 32-bit machine that will play all the older Gameboy titles as well as the more advanced GBA games. What has changed however is the design itself is totally different. You can now open and close the system up just like a mini laptop computer, one side has the screen one side has all the buttons. That was part of the reason why I bought yet another Gameboy (hey, believe it or not I'm not made of money so that's why I didn't get one right away), my brother's Gameboy Advance was all scratched up and the buttons don't work as well as they used to (sorry Jeremy). I needed a new Game boy and thanks to this fold away feature means I wouldn't scratch up as easily now.

The SP has only one new button and that is the Light switch. If you are having problems seeing the screen at anytime then you easy turn it on to see if it helps. Using this Back lit option will eat away at your standard 18 hours of battery life but at least you have option to turn it off on the fly just in case. That moves me to another big change; this thing doesn't even need those annoying AA batteries anymore. Since the SP doesn't have to take the traditional batteries, Nintendo threw in an AC Adapter that automatically charges the new internal rechargeable lithium battery if it runs low on power. You can even play the SP while it's charging up, it will just charge slower while in play.

The GBA SP still has some problems that you should be aware of. First off, the SP doesn't have the standard Headphone jack like the original Gameboys did. I was one person who never used any headphones personally (mostly because I'm not a big fan of the Gameboy's mono sounds anyway) but that doesn't mean that they didn't serve a purpose. With headphones you could still listen to the action while others around you don't have to plus a lot of games these days require that you hear what's going on while playing (i.e. games like *Splinter Cell*). You can still buy an special adapter or custom made headphones if you want but be prepared to shell out some more cash. The SP also doesn't need batteries to work anymore and sure that will save you a lot money but if you can't get at a power outlet (like during a Black out or if you're a price that doesn't have electricity) to charge the unit then you're pretty much screwed.

The Gameboy Advance SP isn't a huge improvement over the original GBA especially since it still plays all the standard 1,000 plus Gameboy games like the older Gameboy's do but the new features of this little beauty are just too impressive to ignore. The cool flip top feature now protects your LCD screen getting major scratches, the Back lit option lets you finally play in the dark, and the unit can even save a lot of your money because you don't have to buy those stupid AA batteries anymore. Although Nintendo has already named a successor to the SP (The DS) and Sony has a cool portable system themselves, still the Gameboy Advance SP is such an improvement over the previous unit it may be the best portable gaming unit I ever played.

**Overall Gameboy SP rating: 89/100**-StarSoldier 2007(Ryan Genno)

Better choices out there

We got this from a friend who didn't want it anymore.  We bought a few new games for our six year old.  Now I can see why he didn't like it that much.  It is okay.  But the leapster is better for a kid, the games are much more educational and intuitive.   The Gameboy Advance doesn't have games, for adults or children, that are nearly as cool as the Nintendo DS Games.  One option that appealed to me about the Gameboy Advance was the ability to buy tv programs and video; I thought this would be a good alternative to buying a portable DVD for long trips.  It turns out that there is only a limited amount of programming available and the Video programs are very expensive.  Given that games for all of these systems are similairly priced, i think it is worth it to invest in a different platform.  The screen is small, and the sound mediocre.  It is kinds of high pitched and annoying.  While, I don't have great things to say, it has kept our daughter busy.  She enjoys the Catz game the most.

And it still works today.

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

This was and is a great handheld console to have on the go. I used to bring this thing everywhere that I went and played it just as much until I could see the A and B buttons imprinted in my thumb. It is more rectangular than it's predecessor and comes with it's own backlight which was the main selling point for it in my opinion because now you didn't have to buy an extra light to plug into your charger port. The only downside for me is that there isn't a headphone jack anywhere to be found. If you want headphones, you will have to buy an adapter that plugs into your charger port.

Graphics Quality
Now for the time that this console came out, the graphics were awesome. Majority of these games were in 2D (sometimes pre-rendered 3D). Very rarely would you find 3D being utilized in these games but since it's 3D capabilities were low, it was to be expected.
Now that doesn't mean that the graphics are horrible by any means. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The art of some of these games can be outstanding and sometimes overwhelming. It really reminds you of the hard work that a lot of developers put into these games.

Game Variety
Some of the games for this console were among the best that I've ever played such as "Gunstar Super Heroes" and "Metroid Fusion". There were a lot of games out there compatible with this console. Racers, platformers, shooters you name it. The Game boy advance had it all. There were probably more platformers on this console than any other handheld console before it. It also has backwards compatibility with not Game boy color games, but the older Game boy games as well, increasing it's value dramatically. I'm still looking for games for this console today.

Controller Comfort
For the most part it's still comfortable to hold. However as an adult it isn't as comfortable as when I was a kid. I was however geared towards children so it is to be expected.

Put the game in and play. It can't get anymore easier than that. This handheld was made before everything needed to have menus and an interface. I just had one simple function: to play video games. There were times where the game wouldn't start, but that was usually due to dust within the cartridge slot. Blow into it and your good to go.

It is very durable and much more portable than the original GBA. With its ability to fold it easily becomes even more durable. Mine still works today as well as my brothers and I'm never going to let mine go anytime soon.

Whats not to love?

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

This is amazing, I love everything about it, it contours to your hand so nice, has an awesome library of games. And nintendo just did everything right

Graphics Quality
Although graphics may not have been spectacular, they definitely weren't bad and had no problem with it (although I'm fine with Atari 2600 graphics).

Game Variety
Nintendo you made this game library amazing, first of all you have pitfall, pokemon ruby,sapphire,emerald, you have pokemon mystery dungeon, and many more games that changed my childhood like zelda.

Controller Comfort
This contours your hand so nice, even if you have big meaty hands it feels so nice! I love everything about it.

So simple to use, while off shove a game into the game cartridge, turn it on, and presto your game is loading.

This thing was a brick I got mine when I was 7 and lasted for 4 years of it continually falling down the steps, and ground. The plastic case is also really nice for protecting the insides.

Portable Game Console

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

I love this console as a kid and still love it today. My siblings and I grew up with this and the Nintendo DS. To bad it is discontinued.

Graphics Quality
It is very good for a small, portable game console. I remember where you can play movies with the games available.

Game Variety
There were a variety of games available. You could even watch movies with the console. I usually played Pokemon though.

Controller Comfort
The buttons are all there and right near the fingers, so it's comfortable and easy to use. All in a little square box to unfold and play with.

It was fun and easy to use. There were nothing difficult to understand. You just put the game chip in and turn on the console. The rest is understandable.

I had several and each one took quite a few damage. From falling off the high table, falling off the pocket, and accidentally throwing them away. However, they all manage to keep working, with the exception of one whose screen cracked.

• Controller Comfort:

One of the best handheld Consoles

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

I remember when this first came out and everyone went crazy over it. This product showed us that Nintendo is always looking for new ideas and that they are always innovating new things to please its fans. The concept was very simple. It was basically a fold-able Game Boy Advanced that made it more portable. I also remember the built in light that came with this console. This was a big thing that came to the Game Boy because before you had too buy a external light to plug into the Game Boy. This console will always go down in history as one of the best portable consoles in history.

Graphics Quality
For its time I believe that this was the best quality graphics you could get. I still am impressed with some of the games graphics compared to what is around today. Games like Mega-man for example.

Game Variety
Nintendo always gives us a wide variety of games with any of its consoles.

Controller Comfort
Fit perfectly in my hands when I was a kid and still fits perfectly in my hands today as an adult.

Extremely easy to use.

I still play mine today and it works perfectly. Compared to my PSP that I had to get replaced multiple time.

So old

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

I haven't seen one of these in FOREVER. I remember when I first got one. The larger games stick out and can get in the way and be annoying, but other than that it's a nice little gameboy. The graphics are kinda bad but considering this was made awhile ago, it's acceptable. It's also durable. I would recommend this to a younger kid. Rather than giving them extra expensive electronics.

• Controller Comfort:

Great portable gaming device.

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

The Game Boy Advance SP was and still is a great handheld console. This handheld is great for younger kids who aren't ready for the newer handheld consoles. The lighting, picture quality, and durability of the GBA SP is perfect. The SP is equipped with a backlight that you can turn on or off, depending on the lighting you are using it in. The lighting illuminate perfectly, and covers the screen uniformly. The SP can also be charged, when its battery runs out. You don't have to waste money on batteries every time the console dies. The SP also has a great library of games. Games such as Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, and Sonic, are just a few great titles.

This product is awsome

from morro bay, CA

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

THe game boy advance is a neat item to play around with so you should really really but it cause it is good with aall ages so it is a very very very nice product you should really try this stuff cause it is really really cool and it has great graphics and compatible for all ages and very very very very very very very very very very fun

Keeps Him Occupied

from La Fayette, NY

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

The only thing that I have to say is that the Nintendo Gameboy SP is wonderful for trips.  My son will sit and play for hours.  He is learning hand - eye coordination with it. This is one gift that all children should receive for Christmas (especially if they have a mommy who is busy... but come on, show me a Mommy that isn't busy and I'll show you a child who doesn't like Christmas).

I have 5 kids at home and they all love them

from Louisville, KY

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

My kids love them even with other game systems like ds, psp2 they still love playing there gameboy advanced sp. I do wish screen was a little bigger but it plays great. These also charge very quickly so if you run out of charge will not take long to recharge.

Fun to use.

from Hot Springs National Park, AR

Comments about Nintendo Game Boy Advance Console:

I've had my nitendo gameboy advance sp for about a year. I like this product alot. It's not the best thing in the world but it is pretty cool. The game quality is better on different games. Good on some and bad on others. It has no slot for headphones which is a BIG con for me because I want to hear the game but normally where I'm using the gameboy I'm in a place where the sounds would be disturbing. Other than that it's great!