View more video game consoles

Other Video Game Consoles:
Nintendo
NTRSBKA
Nintendo - DS Console

Nintendo - DS Console

Pros

Cons

• Controller Comfort:

I didn't touch it in a bad way.

The **Nintendo Dual Screen** (or DS) was the all the rage in busy 2004 holiday season. This new age device not only looks pretty sleek and well designed here but what really makes the DS a cool step forward in portable gaming is its unique second screen, its wireless multi-player support, Nintendo64-like 3D graphics engine (better then the older Gameboy Advance anyway), and who could forget the innovative touch screen features too? Nintendo already has a lot of third party support behind the unit so see why the sky is the limit for this tiny machine.

The Nintendo DS is about the same size as a Game Boy Advance but only cut in half so you can also open and close like the Game Boy SP in order to protect the 7 buttons (four action, three option), and stuff like that. Like the SP unit it also has a built in light so you can see the 2 LCD screens even in the dark and don't worry the battery life on the unit last 7 to 10 hours when fully charged with its packaged AC adapter.

That brings me to the unusual double screens here. Although it sounds like a pretty weird gimmick, the bottom screen isn't just for there for show. Nintendo utilized the bottom screen to have interactive options so players can either touch, draw, talk into, or even blow on it to play certain titles. Games like **Yoshi's Touch & Go** and **Feel the Magic** are excellent examples of how you can use the bottom screen to play various odd but unique mini games. You certainly couldn't do that on the old Gameboy's, eh?The DS games themselves have to be some of the smallest games I have ever seen. The games are just slightly larger then a quarter believe it or not! They maybe small in size here but the games can still handle several polygons for 3D effects you could not find in older portable games from Nintendo. Games like **Metroid Prime Hunters** and **Ride Racer DS** are just some of the 3D games that help to show the power of the system. Sadly, these graphics may be an huge improvement from the Gameboy Advance games but compared to the games on the *Playstation Portable* the DS games look light years behind.Can't find the right DS game yet? The system will also let you play all those 32-bit Gameboy Advance cartridges too. Although these games are not as powerful as the DS games of course, there are still several great can't miss games like **Castlevania Aria of Sorrow**, and **Super Mario Bros. 3** just to name a few. To break it down you can find at least 300 GBA games alone to go with the DS library. Sadly, for some odd reason the DS doesn't recognize those hundreds of 8-bit Black and White or Color Gameboy games even though the Gameboy SP could. The DS is a definitely a great system thanks in part to its decent price, interactive screens, and fair selection of Nintendo and third party titles so far with many more on the way. However, Nintendo should really design the games better so the controls are more user friendly. Using a tiny little cross pad for a 3Dgame just isn't right! The DS is still a very good buy for gamers who like their stuff portable.**Nintendo DS overall rating: 83/100**-StarSoldier1 2007(Ryan Genno)

Nintendo DS goes where ever you go.

The Nintendo DS. This little bad boy is ready to go where you are going. It's so fun to play and use the styles. It's not like any other hand held out there. Lots of game for the Nintendo DS so you do really have to worry about running out of options there are plenty. The double screens is the coolest thing and works out just fine. At first I was not to sure of the Nintendo DS because of the double screens and the little styles but after a few days of getting on it a playing like there was no tomorrow ( because that's what I would do if there was no tomorrow). It's very compact and easy to slid right in to your pocket and go. Oh there is online play but I could never get it to work but never spent much time on tryin to figure it out I was to busy tryin to beat Zelda. Like I said good little console to have lots of fun. Definitely worth the money or some kind of trade in. The battery last a long time so you game it up longer and more often. Tuns of extras and addons for the Nintendo DS so you hook it up and personalize it all you want. The only thing I didn't like about it was they didnt design it very well when it came to holding it for long periods of time as my hands and fingers would cramp and I would have to stop playing and that sucked. Also the two buttons on the top side are real hard to use and push when playing because you have to hold it and try to push the at the same time wwhhhaaa but other than that it great and I would recommend this as a gift or for your self. One more thing is with the DS you don't have to be a kid to enjoy it as there are many games out there for all ages and likes.

Still a great product, but later models had improvements.

from Joshua Tree, CA

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

Got two of these when they were the latest thing...So much better than the Gameboy. However, Nintendo in their infinite wisdom made compatabilty a component which was great. Get a new system, but play your old (Gameboy) games. Awesome! Still have the original ones which still get plenty of use. Love the game selection, too. Have a few wishes that they added in the later versions, but that's what you get when (your husband) has to have a new toy!

Graphics Quality
For the size, the graphics are pretty good. As always, cartoonish, but kid-friendly.

Game Variety
Adding in the fact that the gameboy games can be played and there are so many choices. Alos I noticed that there are really a lot of adult oriented games which makes it very family friendly, with a little something for everyone. I just wish some of the multi-player games didn't require two separate games and that they were all downloadable.

Controller Comfort
Because this was the original, it is bulkier than the later models and a little heavier. I have played both the lite and dsi consoles since and would prefer those to this. Also, the stylus is thinner and at times it hurts my hand to hold the thin "stick".

Easy to use. I like that you can set it up to go the game rather than the start up menu. Easy to teach kids to use and great for travel. Love the fact that you can have both a ds game in and a gameboy game in the player and choose either one, making it easier on car trips for the kids to change games by themselves.

I do have some complaints here. I really don't like the screen and how easily it scratched. I had a screen protector on my son's and not one on mine, but the screen protector, while keeping it from getting scartched, made it harder for the system to read. One of the buttons of the system aslos sticks now for some odd reason. And the tip of the stylus doesn't fair to well in the long run. However it has been dropped a lot and held up to all that abuse...

Nintendo DS is so cool!!

from Huntington Park, CA

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

Nintendo DS is a great system that you can put any gameboy advance game and DS games. Nintendo DS is a great system that you can chat with your friends like text them, send them picture drawing from you and you can set up your background and setting. There is another system called the Nintendo DSi that you can take picture, record them, browse the internet, chat with your friend and you can create an animation video that you can create by using the touch screen. In the Nintendo DSi system there are games that require for a camera like the system for the DSi so you can take the picture and it will send to the game to create the character or something its kinda of cool taking a picture and then sent it to the game. There is a game like that and it is Foto Showdown that require a camera for the DSi. The system is cool it has everything just like the psp but it doesnt have a camera to shoot video or take picture. The Nintendo DS and DSi are so cool to have because i have one to.

• Controller Comfort:

does original nintendo ds suit your need?

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

hi i have been a long fan of nintendo products. the first nintendo video game console that i owned was nintendo entertainment system or NES for short. since then, i have bought and owned gameboy series. then in 2004, nintendo came out with brand new system called nintendo ds which most of people regarded as next video game handheld. however in the interview of gameing industry, nintendo did not say whether nintendo ds is succesor of gameboy series. anyways, this original nintendo ds became my favorite handheld system and i have literally took this system every where and had recharged over 300 times before selling it to someone else. during the time it was in my possession, i have noticed some flaws in this system. first of all, you can only turn on your bright setting by one which is okay during night but it is hard to play during daytime when you are outside of your home. so my verdict is this system is okay for indoor but bad for outdoor.

Graphics Quality
the graphic of nintendo ds is okay for my standard.

Game Variety
there are over 1000 games for you to try out.

Controller Comfort
very easy to control.

pick up and play anywhere.

very sturdy.

Can't live without it!

from Royalton, IL

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

I just love my Nintendo DS. My son has one and I ended up going out and buying one for myself. Of course, I had to get the pink one. That is the girl color. I bought mine right before they had disappeared because the new color was rose. I, personally, did not care for the rose color. It seemed to faded to me. After I bought the pink one, I went looking for all of the accessories that I could that were in the pink color.

The DS Lite is AMAZING!

from Hawthorne, CA

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

I first recieved my Nintendo DS Lite about two years ago. The first thing I noticed was that it was way more advanced than my GameBoy Color and Gameboy Advance SP put together. The touch screen continues to fascinate me every time I use it.

First of all, when I opened the package, I couldn't take my eyes off it. I was given the Onyx colored DS Lite and was impressed at how shiny and glossy it looked. It's extremelty smooth but doesn't easily fall out of your hand like my previous portable game systems.

The next thing I noticed was it's dual screens. They both looked well built and sturdy which was good. A cheap screen would have really dampened my high spirits. Anyway, the screens are just the right size, not too large and not to small. You can see everything pretty clearly. The screens provide enough light to illuminate my entire bedroom in complete darkness which is a plus to those who enjoy playing in the dark.

The only things I don't like about the Nintendo DS is that it didn't have a built in Internet browser. Sure, the new DSi has that along with a camera but it is almost exactly like the DS Lite. If the DS Lite had better features on it's own without a game, it'd be much more impressive. For example, a PSP has a built in Internet Browser, and can play audio, video, and games (obviously). The DS can't do half of those things which makes it a bit dissapointing.

However, the games availiable for the Nintendo DS Lite are far better than the games offered for the PSP. While the games for the PSP are limited, the possibilites with the DS Lite are endless. The graphics that can be shown on a DS are stunning and can win over the most hardened Sony PSP fans.

Overall, the DS Lite is an excellent product. Despite the fact that it lacks a few interesting qualities, it is highly entertaining and would be a wonderful gift to any person, despite their age.

Very Entertaining

from Mount Juliet, TN

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

I recently received a Nintendo DS for my birthday and to my surprise, I was very happy with it. I thought that the screen was going to be too small, the volume was going to be low grade and that I was just generally not going to like it. And boy was I wrong. First the screen was not small at all and you get two screens! One on top and one on the bottom. Depending on what game you play depends on how the screen works. And the sound quality was very impressive. The keys are in a great place and you have no trouble playing the game at all. You also get two DS sticks which you can use because the screen is a Touch screen. I was afraid I was going to loose the stick, but their is a place on the back of the DS that holds the stick for you. The DS comes in array of colors and is a great hit with me. Brain age is a great game to keep your IQ up and is fun as well. Over all I love it! 5 STARS!

Fun, Interactive, Portable Gaming System. Definitely worth it!

from Hudsonville, MI

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

The Nintendo DS is not only a smart educational toy, but it also incorporates fun into the games. The DS is a dual screen game boy that makes the old game boys obsolete. The size and portability of the product not only makes it fun but easy to play anywhere you go. With Nintendo's wide variety of games that are continuing to come out. I definitely recommend this product to anyone who is looking for more a fun outlook on gaming.

Good for all ages if game lover

from Waterford, MI

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

My daughter has one of these and has all kinds of fun.  Great to take in the car on long trips.  This is great for kids who r in the car alot.  The games are not to expensive if you buy them used from, say, GameStop.  Also, you can get replacement parts such as new touch screens so fixing them is not too bad if your kid got irresponsible for a day.

the touch screen makes the DS amazing.

from Albany, OR

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

The DS is a great game system. It has games for every age and level of player. there is also a great variety in the types of games available. From puzzles to RPG's,  you can find what you are looking for. the rechargeable battery is a great feature. you no longer need to stock up on AA's to keep gaming. The fact that is plays GBA (Game-Boy Advance) games is great too.

Portable fun for everyone

from Tomball, TX

Comments about Nintendo - DS Console:

This small gaming system is one of the best devices that came into our family.  It is durable, versatile and easy to use.  We find this device being used by everyone in our family and it is easy to find games if you get tired of playing the ones you have already.  I highly recommend purchasing extra screen protectors in order to protect your investment and a few extra stylus' would be a good idea to keep around just in case they get lost.  Economical fun for every member of the family.