View more video game consoles

Other Video Game Consoles:
Nintendo
GOSAVN64S
Nintendo - Console (N64)

Nintendo - Console (N64)

Pros

Cons

• Controller Comfort:

It would have sold better if it was called the Nintendo 69!

Just like Lisney Lohan's career it looks like my **Nintendo 64** fun machine thingy is dead and buried. It is sad to see because I really enjoyed my N64 over the years and ooking back I remember first getting my N64 used in March of 1997 with the used game Pilotwings 64 for about 250 Canadian (which wasn't too bad at the time because N64's were going for 299.99 bucks brand new). I know that was a ton of cash for a bunch of circuits and cheap cheap plastic but this system had so much going for it.

Although Pilotwings64 looked awesome back then it wasn't really all that action packed so I got bored with the game and I traded it in for **Super Mario 64** in the Summer of 1997. Super Mario 64 not only wowed everybody with its full 3D game play and it was a huge hit for Nintendo and it really got the machine off to a good start. The N64 still got hurt by massive delays, remember that **Zelda** was suppose to come out summer 1997 not fall 1998, and the year 2000 is no exception, **Perfect Dark** came out May 2000, NOT December 9, 1999 like it was suppose to!The *Sony Playstation* basically pwned the N64 but the fun machine continued to sell well in the United States and Canada in 1998 despite Sony's best efforts. The whole Wrestling theme was really big in the late 90's and people when nuts for *WCW/NWO Revenge* and *WWF War Zone*. Nintendo may have lost some thunder in 1998 with bombs like *Yoshi's Story* but they quickly gained it back with massive hits like **Zelda: Ocarina of Time** and **Goldeneye 007**. The 4 controller ports in front of the system really made the N64 the console of choice for the multi-player gamers out there and Nintendo started to really dish out these types of games in 1999 with the popular *Mario Party* and *Super Smash Bros*.

Although 2000 was another great year for the N64 (*Pokemon Stadium* was even the top selling console game of 2000) but it was clear that the fun machine was just too out of date because of its blurry graphics and weaker sound thanks to the limitations of the cartridge compared to the CD-Rom. The 128-bit *Sega Dreamcast* and Sony's low game prices were just too much for the poor old Nintendo64.

Sadly, Nintendo had no plans to release any new games beyond the second half of 2001 or in 2002 (only games like Tony Hawk 3, Maddan 2002 and the Powerpuff Girls are being released but only in limited numbers). Sadly the Gamecube is NOT backward compatible so you cannot play your N64 cartridges on that system. Fortunately, Nintendo wised up and you can now download some of these classic games from the **Wii's Virtual Console** (hopefully not the Powerpuff Girls).

Let's face it Nintendo makes some the best games in the world and the Nintendo 64 only continued that tradition but in 3D. It wasn't a perfect machine but you don't know what your missing if you don't play it at least once, eh?**Nintendo 64 system overall rating: 80/100**-StarSoldier1 2007(Ryan Genno)

All Nintendo game systems will always be a classic!

In my opinion, I personally find Nintendo 64 to be a great video game console. The controllers work well and the game cartridges rarely, if ever, have technical issues, unlike the old school Nintendo system. I also used to own a Super Nintendo game system, and although I'll admit that it wasn't as good as the newer N' 64 version, it is still a rather decent console. Fact of the matter is, unlike Dreamcast or any other consoles that stopped manufacturing years ago, the Nintendo system will always be a well-known brand. It is a classic. I am no video game expert or geek by any stretch of the imagination, and never was, but I have to admit that video games are very entertaining to play with when you are bored or during your leisure. They are indeed extremely addictive. Nowadays, since I'm older and more occupied with other things, I barely have the time to play and kind of lost interest, or drifted away I should say, from video games. But overall, I would definitely recommend video game fanatics to buy, or at least try, the N' 64 console.

Best Retro Game system ever !

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

I can not say enough about this amazing retro game system! It really outshines the competition!

Graphics Quality
The graphics on this game system are second to none! It is so much better than the Sega Genesis! I take pride in my vast knowledge of retro game systems and this is a real winner that stands the test of time!

Game Variety
Has more games then the Super Nintendo. Has games like 007 Golden Eye, Wave Race 64, Ridge Racer 64, Mario Kart 64 and many more! There are games in every genre and everyone in the family will find something they like with the variety of games available!

Controller Comfort
The controllers are not good for racing games but great for fighting games like Super Smash Bros, and Mortal Kombat. I think the controllers could be better but for a retro game, they are adequate.

The N64 is so easy to use. I love that it is so simple to operate and the games generally work consistently well.

The N64 is one tough system! As a general rule, I am pretty tough on game systems but this one can sure take a beating!

• Controller Comfort:

The Ultimate Classic Console!!!!!

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

This is the Nintendo 64, the world shattering console which pushed the boundaries of video gaming to what it is today. When the Nintendo 64 hit the market in 1996 it shocked everyone and revolutionized the gaming world forever. Many of the games that were released for it instantly became million copy sellers and it crushed the competition which was the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation. The Nintendo 64 features 64 bits of graphics, hence why it is called the Nintendo 64. It has a very unique controller that has been given mixed reviews but I say its an awesome controller regardless. The console launched and was marketed by featuring the incredible mind blowing game Super Mario 64. When this game hit the market it blew everyone away. It instantly sold millions of copies and drove Nintendo to become a wildly successful company. The Nintendo 64 is the main reason why Nintendo is successful today. This console was the platform for all of today's console's successes. Although Nintendo 64 is technically discontinued it can still be bought from video game stores that sell older consoles and games and can also be found at flee markets or online. I highly recommend this console to anyone because it is an instant classic and will never go out of style.

Graphics Quality
The graphics are 64 bit which are 3D and are amazing. They were groundbreaking for its time. They are very clear and amazing.

Game Variety
The games that are offered for the Nintendo 64 are absolutely breathtaking. Games include Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye 64, Donkey Kong 64, F-Zero X, Castlevania 64, Shadowman 64, Hexen 64, Doom 64, Starfox 64, and many other classic games. Many of these game are considered to be the greatest ever especially Goldeneye 64 and Mario Kart 64.

Controller Comfort
This controller is a weird looking one but don't let it scare you. It is very comfortable and has a control stick in the center along with A and B buttons and camera buttons. It has L and R buttons and a D pad on the left side of the controller. It also features a Z button on the back of the controller which is probably the most useful button on the Nintendo 64 controller and fun to use too. Overall this controller is awesome and I recommend it to anyone.

The controller is easy to use as well as the console itself. Just put a game into the console and turn on the on switch and you are set to go!

Probably the most durable console ever. The way the console was designed it is very hard to damage and if it does fall it is very hard to break.

• Controller Comfort:

My childhood was shaped by this console

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

I really cannot say how much I have loved this video game console since my parents bought it for me when I was a kid without it being the understatement of the century. I have spent who-knows-how many hours playing alone or with friends. How many times have my younger birthday parties revolved around the N64? All of them, probably.

It's just so versatile - you can play from 1 to 4 players, perfect for me, because I had 1 brother and two awesome neighbours! We loved to just play Golden Eye for hours.

Graphics Quality
Ocarina of Time, the first 3D game, came out on the N64. I remember my jaw just dropping while playing that game, with all it's beautiful visuals.

It's no Skyrim, but for the time, it was incredible.

Game Variety
Just so, so many games. Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, GoldenEye...

Just too much fun for such a short life.

Controller Comfort
It was a great controller. The Z button was well hidden that you could press it in secret without the other players seeing it.

I gave it a 4 because if you ate doritos or cheetos and played at the same time, the controllers would suddenly turn orange. After one night, me and my brother made the great pact to never ever eat chips while playing video games...

and it still stands today!

Still have it, my kids still play it!

My Childhood

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

Great console, smaller and portable compared to most, amazing game selection.

Graphics Quality
Amazing for its time, still enjoy the look of the games now

From Banjo Kazooie to Mario Kart to 007, this console has it all

2nd favorite controller of all time behind the game cube

Had it since release and still runs flawlessly

The Console of the Century

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

The Nintendo 64. I have had this thing for years, thirteen years to be precise. Overall this gaming system has lasted me through my childhood and I am almost sure it will play well throughout my children's childhood.

Now considered a classic this system is considered nostalgic and ground breaking in 90s gaming, featuring a wide variety of games and three dimensional graphics. Many of the games available for the Nintendo 64 provide challenging and memorable stories and problem solving scenarios that can entertain children and adults for ages. These games have a high replay value, especially the classic Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64.

The console also offers a wide variety of multiplayer games. Some of these games include Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros., and Pokemon Stadium. With four controller ports the system allows for four multiplayers and is great for gaming with family and friends.

The system is easy to use and durable. My Nintendo 64 has lasted for thirteen years and counting and has always been simple to use, just plug it in, pop in the cartridge (requires some cleaning, but is still pretty self explanatory), turn it on with the flick of a switch, and you're ready to play.

The only oddity about the system is the controller design. The controller appears to be designed for a person with three hands! However it does premier the analog stick for easy 360 degrees of in game movement, extra buttons and ports for controller accessories.

Overall a lasting, nostalgic, and user friendly console that provides entertainment for the whole family or just a night of gaming by yourself.

Graphics Quality
Amazing for its time, but pretty outdated compared to today's gaming technology.

Game Variety
Games available for children and also for adults.
(Everything from Elmo's Letter Adventure (E 3+) to Conker's Bad Fur Day (M 15+))

Controller Comfort
Odd three-handed design, but once gotten used to, quite manageable.

Self explanatory, can be used by children and/ or adults, fun for all ages.

This console lasts forever.

• Controller Comfort:

One of the best consoles ever

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

I remember getting this console when it first came out. I was a kid and loved playing Mario games, so my brothers bought me mario kart 64 and it was a blast. We played that game for hours upon hours and it was just as good as the first time. One of the things I liked about the console was the controller colors. They had so many and you didn't have to have a boring grey controller. First they had the matte looking ones, and later they had the see though ones. Me and my siblings all got one, and we all had different colors so we knew exactly which one was ours. The graphics were great at the time and the game selection was excellent, so many different titles to choose from.

• Controller Comfort:

Possibly my favorite gaming console of all time..

from Ardmore, OK

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

At one point, I would easily say that this was the greatest console of all time. My thoughts haven't changed on this console, as I still love it, but time does things to your memories. This system has loads of games, i can't even remember all of the games that were amazing.

It was also the first console I had that offered 4 players playing at the same time, which definitely made parties and get togethers a lot more fun.

I still have my original console and it works great. It really stands up for the quality of the unit and the great design that was put into it. The controller was great too. It didn't make my hands feel weird after hours of playing.

I can't really think of any Cons on this based on how old it is now. Of course they stopped making games for it, you can't make money as a company not come out with newer/better hardware.

All in all, I love this gaming system!

Nintendo 64 is my childhood

from Warrenton, VA

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

The Nintendo 64 console defined my childhood. Many of my early gaming memories come from this loveable console. It basically redifing gaming. It has many great hits like 007 Goldeneye, Supermario 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Party 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Zelda: Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask. The N64 is perfect for casual gamers and the video game classics junkies. The feel of the controller may be awkward and clunkuy at first, but you get easily used to it. The system has a vvery long lifespan, and it has lasted me over ten years. You shouldn't expet failure from the Nintendo 64. The system is dead for new releases, but it already has an amazing gaming library. The Nintendo 64 will always attract crowds and it's always a great pastime. The console and controllers are light and versatile. A couple cons are the need for memory sticks and the fact that you have to blow on some game cartriges. Besides that, the Nintendo 64 is perfect for anybody!

Nintendo 64 Console - A Timeless Classic

from Melbourne, FL

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

The Nintendo 64 (N64) was one of the most popular video game consoles in its time. It offered a large variety of games and became well known for titles such as Super Mario 64, and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. The N64 has polygon-like 3D graphics, but don't be detoured for the quality of it's games were superior. The N64 has 4 controller sockets and slot for an expansion pack. Some of the more larger games for this console require the expansion pack due to a lack of RAM the N64 posesses on it's own, but again don't be fooled because 90% of the games for the console do not require it. The controllers for this console have an attachment dock in the back for a variety of extentions. Memory cards and rubble packs were amongst the most often used extensions. The rumble pack offered a new experience in gaming. If you bashed up your character or vehicle you'd get a lil' taste of what they were feeling as the vibrations rushed through the controller and into your hands and arms. Overall this console is amazing, I still play it today and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

My Childhood

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about Nintendo - Console (N64):

The Nintendo 64 was my first console and was undoubtedly what really got me into gaming. Although I can't say that the Nintendo 64 offered a library of games that had as much depth as many Playstation games, such as the Final Fantasy series, the Nintendo 64 most definitely held its own. With classics like Super Smash Bros., Super Mario 64, and the Legend of Zelda games, the Nintendo 64 was fun whether you liked playing videogames with friends or preferred adventuring on your own. The Nintendo 64 was something I could bond with my friends over and is now something I feel is a surefire way to revisit my childhood. The Nintendo 64 may not be the most technologically advaned console of its generation, but it more than makes up for it with its variety of multiplayer and single player games.