4.8

Pros

Cons

good alternative to 3ds system

About Me Casual Gamer

Pros

• Easy To Set Up
  • Excellent Gameplay
  • Fun For All Ages
  • Great Graphics
  • Lots of Game Choices

Cons

• expensive games

• Kids
  • Serious Gamers
  • Teenagers

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

We got the the 2ds instead of the 3ds because of the price difference. The 2'ds is much cheaper then the 3ds. The 2ds is basically the same thing except it doesn't play the games in 3-D. I have also heard of a few kids and adults getting sick from playing the games in 3D. My kids love this and actually want to play it too much. We have to limit their play time or they would sit and play until they couldn't hold their head up. My only complaint about it is that buying games makes me cringe. Luckily the store we bought them from buys and sells used games so we were able to get some used for a fraction of the cost of brand new. They work the same as they do new except the games we can get are older release games. My kids don't care about what games they play as long as they are fun so it works out for us but someone who wants new release games frequently is going to spend a lot of money for the tiny cartridges. I like the system we bought because it's not the kind that folds up so it is much more durable. It also will play the 2 or 3D games just not in 3D mode. It's a life saver on long car ride trips or having to sit and wait for appointments. The volume can be turned off or headphones on for no sound. I paid around 100$ for one with no games but I think they have gone down in price recently to around 80$ I'm sure they will keep going down as they come out with newer models too. I'm glad I got this kind for my kids because it has proven tough and they like them a lot.

• Was this a gift?:

Great Starter for Children

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

I recently purchased this system for my 6 year old. It's a great starter system for him. It easy to learn and there are many games that are at his reading level.

Graphics Quality
The graphics are very good for the DS and 3DS games, not so much on the downloadable games. Most of the downloadable games are for gameboys or old DS games, so they have not been upgraded.

Game Variety
This is definitely a system that grows with your child. There are so many different levels of games available its fantastic.

Controller Comfort
The controller is very comfortable for small hands. It does get a little tough for adults if you have big hands.l

This system is very easy to use. My six year old mastered the controls in two days. It does require a little reading if you use any of the online features though.

So far it's been indestructible. I try to teach my son how to take care of the DS, but it has had its share of bumps and falls. I would invest in a screen protector for the top screen just for safety.

Just like a 3DS...Just less folds

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

Made just like a 3DS. Unfortunately though, not as portable, since it won't fold. Doesn't have the 3D option, but that's fine, for the price, compared to the original. Very light, very interesting design, and handles pretty well. Durable, a bit, and just a good system to get if you're wanting to "try" the 3DS, or for kids (3DS restrictions are age 7+)

Graphics Quality
Good handheld gaming console. Just like the original 3DS, if not a little better, graphics wise. No 3D, but that's fine, you're paying less for the 2DS for a reason.

Game Variety
Has a huge library of games, and is still expanding. Games like Kid Icarus Uprising, Pokemon X/Y, etc.

Controller Comfort
Feels a bit weird though. Holds differently than the original, since it is a block, but you get used to it after a little bit.

Easy to use. Same, if not easier than using a 3DS

Not quite as durable as the 3DS, but still can take a hit. Still, don't purposely throw it on the ground or ruin it, you might just break it.

Very surprised indeed.

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

Have you ever wanted to get into playing the Nintendo 3DS but always thought that the 3D gimmick was nothing more than a hassle and might end up eventually hurting your eyes in the long run? Then this is the handheld console for you.

Graphics Quality
The only difference between this and the 3DS is the lack of 3D (which is obvious by its name). Everything looks great. Some games of course vary depending on developer but in terms of it being right out the box, it's great.

Game Variety
From platformers and rpgs to casual games and puzzles, the 2DS has it all. It can play everything game that your 3DS can. It also has backwards compatibility with DS games as well plus a wide array of games that you can purchase on the Nintendo eShop that you can purchase digitally. So many games, so little time.

Controller Comfort
I was surprised when I received my in the mail. It is very comfortable and just fits so easily in your hands. When it was first revealed people were concerned that it was too big and bulky in comparison to the 3DS. Well now I can tell you with full confidence that you can put those fears to rest.

Very simple to get started since the system guides you through the set up of your username to your Nintendo ID. The stylus located on the side of the console slides out easily and comes in hand when it comes to navigating thought the menus.

It looks pretty tough and it feels tough when it comes to the overall framework and buttons. However it can't fold. Now the positive about that is you don't have to worry about the hinges wearing out. The negative would be that your screens will be left out in the open. I would just recommend getting a case for it. Problem solved

Great console without having to worry about the 3D hurting eyes

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

Since the 3DS came out, my kids have been begging for them, but since I noticed the warning for kids under a certain age to not use the 3D function I declined their pleading. I did not want them hurting their eyes and development. When the 2DS came out I was excited, and so were my kids. Not only does it play all their old DS games, it also plays all the newer 3DS games. It does not have the 3D feature, which means I won't worry about their developing eyesight, but has all the bells and whistles of the 3DS system.

Graphics Quality
It is amazing how far these gameboys have come since the first one I owned when I was a little kid. It is like watching a movie in a small handheld device.

Game Variety
Since it plays both DS cartridges and 3DS, there is no shortage of games for any age. Mario based games are still the favorite in our house!

Controller Comfort
The device is a little bulky, which can make it harder to learn the functions, but the bulky exterior makes it a little more durable, with no hinge to break.

My 4 year old loves her 2DS, and even I have played it and had no trouble.

Keeping this as a 9 for right now since my kids have dropped their DS quite a few times already and had no ill effects. The lack of a folding hinge makes it less likely to break a small expensive to replace piece.

A wonderful surprise

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

I asked for a 2DS for Christmas this year, choosing this over the 3DS because of the price, and I was a little sad that I wasn't getting the real 3DS. I was worried it was going to be bulky and uncomfortable to use. Then I actually got it in my hands the first time.

Wow. I was really impressed. It fit perfectly in my hands, was comfortable to hold, and the screen size was just about perfect, making the console not too big or too small. I actually think I've ended up liking it more than my DSi or when I've used other's 3DSs. Not having to deal with the flip screen is nice (I have a cat who has nearly broken my last DS's hinges with how much she tried to nuzzle it).

The button location is perfect, which was a very nice surprise after holding the miserable WiiU controller. The addition of the analogue circle pad is a welcome addition, it's one of the smoothest thumbsticks I've used. Screen quality is much better than the original DS and its children. Overall it is a very beautifully designed piece of hardware from a company that knows how to do handhelds amazingly well.

Great move nintendo

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

One of nintendo's best decision, a cheaper model, that also doubles for little kids because you can't break the hinges. Overall not a bad product, only thing holding it back is the game variety.

Graphics Quality
Sure no 3d, but if you're like me that hurt your eyes especially on the 3ds xl. but I think the graphics are just fine.

Game Variety
I really don't like the game variety that much, even though nintendo released a lot of old games on this, I can get them for my old video game systems. and frankly pokemon x and y sorta sucked. Unless you don't have old video game systems and like old nintendo games, then maybe you should just wait until the next generation of handhelds come out.

Controller Comfort
The 2ds is really nice as far as button location, and it fits bigger hands quite nice.

It can be a little confusing at first to switch over to all the apps, but once you get use to it, like most things it becomes second nature.

If you have a little kid this thing is for you, with no hinges to break off, and more durable screens, this thing is like a brick (more like a door wedge).

I love the Nintendo 2DS!

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

My boyfriend got me the Nintendo 2DS for Christmas. For the past year I've been using my younger sister's 3DS and it was finally time for me to get my own. When I used the 3ds, I always turned the 3D off when I was playing video games so my boyfriend and I figured the 2ds might be a better alternative (not to mention cheaper). At first, I was concerned because the 2ds is set up differently than the 3ds, for example it doesn't close. It also has a different feel to it. After receiving it for Christmas and playing it for a few hours I can say with absolute certainty that i love the 2ds. Nintendo did a great job with the design of it and it doesn't feel awkward due to it's shape like I had been afraid it would. I am also very happy that I can play the new 3ds games that are coming out on it!

Game Variety
I love how I can play both 3ds and regular ds games on this console.

• Controller Comfort:

Nice budget DS with decent battery life.

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

I've owned my 2DS for a little over a month now. It's a nice upgrade from my old DS Lite as it now has WiFi and a web browser. I decided on the 2DS because the 3D gives me a headache. So far I've played some old DS games and new 3DS games like Ocarina of Time and am very impressed with it. I never thought I would be able to relax and play some of my old favorite games from the N64 on my DS. The battery life is okay. I can get about 6 hours of gameplay per change keeping WiFi off and the brightness down. Overall I recommend it if you have no need for the 3D feature.

• Controller Comfort:

A great alternative to a 3ds and ds.

Comments about Nintendo 2DS System:

Low on cash, but want to have a 3ds for yourself or to give to someone else? Then then 2ds would be the best choice. It's about half the cost of a 3ds and it has all the exact same functions, minus the 3d effects and the ability to fold in half.
When I received my 2ds I was a little surprised at how small it was, for some reason I thought it would be pretty big and bulky, but it isn't at all! Much thinner than I had suspected and it fits comfortably in my hands just like any other handheld console, and the screens are about the size of a normal 3ds (not an xL) so I can still read everything on the screens from a comfortable distance without straining my eyes.

It's also a very durable handheld. I've dropped it a few times already and it's still going, I've also let my four year old brother play with it and he hasn't ruined it yet thankfully (I do have insurance just in case, so no worries).

The reason why I think the 2ds is even better than the ds is because you're able to play both 3ds and ds games on it, so you have so much more access to games that came out previously and games that coming out now. The ds may be cheaper, but if you take into account just how many games you wouldn't be able to play because you wanted to spare an extra twenty bucks it'd make sense to just go for the 2ds.

The one thing I don't like about the 2ds is the fact that its battery life is extremely low. I feel like I almost always need to be charging the thing. What's the point of a portable game if you can't really take it very far without having to charge it every other hour? I'd estimate the battery life to be around 6-8hrs. Not even a full days worth of game playing. I'm not sure about the battery life of the 3ds or the ds, so I can't say if the 2ds battery life is the same or not.

Game Variety
You can play 3ds games AND ds games, how much more variety can you get!