Other Digital Cameras:

Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

Nikon D5000 gives great quality pictures

I recently purchased the new Nikon D5000 and instantly fell in love with it. I have been using the camera since May 09 and Have taken about 500 pictures to date. The camera has some really cool features. When new and taking pictures for the first time you can set up the camera in Auto. In this setting the camera will do all the work for you and you can take pictures as you would with any other camera. As you read the manual and become more informed on its features you then want to program your other settings. When you do you will instantly see a great difference between pictures. Some of the preset settings allow you to take the best pictures in motion, flowers and insects, outside, indoors or potraits.

By far the best feature of this camera s the tiltable LCD. The LCD is almost 3 inches and you are able to tilt out and swivel 360 degrees for a live view in any position. This is a great feature as it allows you to take pictures and avoid people or object in your way.

Not a huge fan of this type of camera

I'm not what you'd call a professional photographer, but I do like to take a lot of pictures usually using my many digital cameras. I wanted to try to get a little more professional with my pictures and seen this camera displayed online. It looked pretty good, was a little pricey though for the features it said it had. I bought it anyway and the day I got it I tried using it. It does have a beginner feature I guess you could call it that, but I was very disappointed at the quality of pictures I was taking for what should be better than a digital camera. It claims to have great auto focus, but the problem is it doesn't always work great and you have to buy a completely new lense that is expensive to manually do it. After keeping it for a few weeks, I tried using the video on it which was by far the worst experience with it. It kept pausing the video and when I went back to the calendar section where the photos and videos are stored, it was almost impossible to work because of how confusing it was. I ended up returning it not too long after. I knew next time to go into the store and get advise from someone in that department. I wouldn't recommend this to professional photographers or people new to photography.

Not a huge fan of this type of camera

from Nesconset,ny

• Portability:

Great camera for someone who is just getting into photography!

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

This camera is perfect for individuals who are looking into photography as a hobby. While there are many new models out currently, I still use my d5000 and get great shots. it's easy to use, however, once you get to know the camera better, you can really do a lot to customize your own shooting style.

• Portability:

User-Friendly camera with great features

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

I just purchased this camera online back in August after my photography teacher told me she liked it too and it has been a life-saver on getting the images I want. I'm not a very technical person but I have a creative eye and this was perfect for getting what I wanted. I prefer NIKON cameras because of their great reputation and the ease of use. It's also great to know that it's not hard to find lenses that work with this camera since I am an advancing photography student. I don't want to keep switching cameras all the time. Way to go, Nikon!

Image Quality
The bracketing option and rear curtain option works fabulous and make great photos, especially with the high megapixels it has.

I've not had any problems with this camera and learn something new every day. I'm looking forward to using the Hi-Def video recording option in the next few days, too.

Love how easy it is to get around in the menus and on the camera to do things with it.

Battery Life
I use 2 batteries - it's always good to have a backup just in case when you don't know how long you will be photographing your subject.

• Portability:

Nikon D5000 is a great DSLR camera!

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

We bought the Nikon D5000 camera after being frustrated that our little boy moved too quickly for a regular digital camera to capture him. He'd be in the next room by the time the camera flashed, it seemed. We weighed the different options on DSLR cameras and chose the Nikon. We are absolutely thrilled with our purchase of this camera. It is a big investment, but it is worth it. The Nikon D5000 also has a video camera which makes it easy to take pictures and videos back and forth. The automatic setting works really well in most cases, and the manual settings are easy to use once you get the hang of it. This camera has a lot of features, so you really need to practice a lot and study up on what all the different functions are. But it takes fabulous pictures. I recommend the optional zoom lens as well which helps at sporting events or concerts. We have had ours for four years now and have never had a problem with it. We've taken it to the beach and to a European country, and it has held up wonderfully.

Great Camera!

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

I am a novice photographer at best. My husband and I purchased this camera just before our oldest son was born 2 years ago. We have taken thousands upon thousands of pictures over the past 2 years of our kids and this camera has been wonderful! I have just begun to scratch the surface in terms of understanding all of the features this camera offers. My husband is more advanced and uses quite a few more options than I do. The best part is - both of our photographs turn out wonderfully. I love that the viewfinder swivels to allow self-pictures or easy viewing when taking photographs at complicated angles. I tend to use the Auto, Portrait and Movement settings, while my husband enjoys manually adjusting the lens, focus and shutter. Regardless if you're a beginner or an advanced photographer, this camera is a great one!

Image Quality
I am always happy with the pictures we get.

Even a novice can take great pictures with this camera.

I have put this camera through some rough treatment and it's still in great shape.

Great camera

from Plainsboro, NJ

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

I have been using this camera for almost a year now. Happy with the quality of the picture, the buttons are well placed, easy to use. The LCD swivels, it folds inwards. Easy to transfer photos. LCd is helpful for reading the menus and changing settings. Battery life is long.

• Portability:

Love it! Best Camera I have ever had!

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

I got this camera for Christmas after my son was born. At first I will admit it was very overwhelming as I had no idea how to use it. However, NOW I don't go any where with out it. It has withstood lots of wear and tear and still takes great pictures. It came with a great HOW TO guide that helped me immensely. I love that there is an option for Point and Shoot or Manual. I found that when the digital display was on it ran slower and capture was much slower. Still I love it and can't wait until I can get an extended lens for it!

perfect for everyday use

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

we are super happy with our Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera. We purchased it back in 2009 when our daughter was born, and have been creating lasting memories since. the camera has lots of great options, flash, different settings for day and night, a great zoom and so many more things. the camera itself is easy to use and small enough to travel with in hand. the picture quality is fantastic inside and outside. the flash helps to make darker pictures more visible and clear. we have also purchased the additional zooming lenses to get more closeup pictures, and wouldnt trade this camera for any other. i would recommend this camera to anyone from starter photgraphy to advanced. although its easy to use, it also takes great quality pictures.

Excellent camera choice!

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

Love this camera! Easy to use, picture quality is great, easy to switch from auto to manual modes. By far the best Nikon we have owned. The camera takes great videos as well. Pictures at night come out wonderfully too, something we have always struggled with. Looking forward to taking a camera class to learn all the manual modes to use it to the fullest.

Very quick shutter speed for capturing anything you want.

Excellent!!!!!

meets all my needs

from Daphne, AL

Comments about Nikon - D5000 Digital Camera:

I have been very pleased with this camera. I bought it 3 years ago and have used it at least once a week. I originally believed the size would limit where I take it but it has not been that way at all. It is very durable so it goes where I go.

This is an easy to use camera. It does require a little reading and learning.

Battery Life
Battery life is awesome. I can go weeks without recharging.

Portability
The size does pose some limitations but overall very portable.