3.8
Nikon
Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera

Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera

3.8

Nikon Coolpix L11 is a good camera for everyday.

I wanted a digital camera when I found out I was pregnant with my youngest son, 2 1/2 years ago. We didn't have a lot of money, but I wanted something that would take great pictures so I could capture spur-of-the-moment events. The Nikon Coolpix L11 is perfect for this.

It has many options for taking photos, including: close-up, snow/beach, night portrait, face regognition, and sports. It also has a regular setting for point-and-shoot. You can choose how you want the flash to work (automatic, always, never) and even adjust the F-stop to get more or less exposure. Oh, and did I mention it has the ability to take videos, too?

It is very east to use and, for the options that seem complicated, comes with a very comprehensive book to show you how to use each feature and suggestions of when to use them. It also comes with a CD-ROM program called "Picture Perfect" taht allows you to edit your photos by cropping, taking out red-eye, adjusting the brightness, color booster, and even lets you change your photos to sepia, black-and-white, or other colors.

A few drawbacks:

The batteries don't last long. We bought rechargable batteries and keep an extra set of them with us always. It really sucks when you see the perfect picture and the darned camera won't turn on!

This camera is not for professionals or even hobbyists. I love taking nature photographs and artsy pics. While I can usually pull them off, I just keep thinking that there is so much more I could do if I had a slightly better camera.

You need a tri-pod for close-ups and night photography. If not, you will always get a blurred picture.

If you want to use the video feature, make sure there is plenty of light. If not, you'll get a brownish tinge and unfocused movies.

The Nikon Coolpix is a good starter camera.

The Nikon Coolpix is a good starter camera. It works well enough for pictures that you want to upload to websites. It isn't a great camera for pictures that you want to print out, however. On the flash options there is an option for red-eye removal. Even though I use that flash every time, at least half the time the eyes come out red.  This is very frustrating, and using editing software doesn't always take it away.  There is also a lag in the shutter action, so when I tell my kids to look up and smile, by the time the picture is actually taken, they've already looked away.  This camera does have a lot of different options on it for different picture taking modes. I like that it can take video as well, with sound.  It's not the greatest quality of video, but it works for short clips.  It is very easy to use, as well. My 8 year-old daughter often uses it to take pictures.  If you use Energizer Lithium batteries in the camera then they last for a long time.  Regular Alkaline batteries are not powerful enough.  I do reccommend this camera for beginners. If you want great pictures, spend more money and get something better.

Nothing special

from Bellevue, NE

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

My work bought this camera since it was small and cheap. I didn't really care for the camera and the quality of the photos. I thought it took awhile to focus and if the lighting wasn't great the photos would be dark and grainy. I'm used to using more expensive DSLRs so I was probably a little more critical than most people.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Bothell, WA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

The image quality and speed on this camera are jsut not very good. I often get blurry images for no apparent reason, as well as the hourglass waiting icon.

Image Quality
There is a function that warns you if pictures blurry. Some pictures that are labeled as blurry are actually fine. It is very hard to get clear pictures at night, even when setting the camera on a stationary surface.

The settings and menu are easy to understand and find.

I've had it for several years and haven't broken or cracked it yet.

Battery Life
I haven't felt like I was replacing batteries often. I use rechargeable battereries whcih don't last as long, but usually at least the full day when sightseeing.

Portability
Vey small and lightweight. There is a nice wrist strap.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

An easy to use camera that provides quality pictures

from Haledon, NJ

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

I bought the Nikon L11 for a tech-unsavvy friend. She needed a point and shoot model that would be exceeding simple to use. After playing around with it myself for a few days before giving it to her, I am thoroughly impressed.The most important aspect of the camera for my purposes is its ease of use, and in this area, the L11 excels. Turn it on, point, focus, click. Reviewing and deleting pictures is easy as well.The picture quality is outstanding. I've printed beautiful 4x6 and 8x10 prints from this camera. There are no noticable defects in the pictures it takes.My only gripe with the camera is that there is no optical viewfinder. Though that is a negative for me, I believe it may actually be a positive for my friend, as it means one fewer option! The LCD is nicely visible even in sunny outdoor situations.

Reasonably Priced

from Greensburg, PA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

The nikon Coolpix L11 is an great camera for starters and veterans alike. It is very reasonably priced. 7 megapixels is more than enough for most people, with a 3x optical zoom. Shutterspeed is ok, can change from single shot to burst, plenty of different shooting modes. You can also do on screen cropping. One major con is the fact that it uses AA batteries, i would suggest using Lithium or rechargeable batteries. But overall a good camera.

A small but powerful camera

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

I purchaed the Nikon L11 a few months ago and absolutely love it. The best part of the camera is the size, it is very small yet the screen is quite big compared to many other digital cameras. The camera has a variety of specialty settings which is good, but also bad in a way. Sometimes a more limited choice is a good idea. I often forget which setting is best to use in certain circumstances and have to pull out the manual for some tips. There is quite a bit to learn, so I find it a good idea to review the manual periodically. The quality of the pictures is quite good, but it can take some time and changes in the zoom level to get a green light, meaning the camera is in focus. If you snap the picture on a red light, you can bet it will be fuzzy. The price on the camera was great and overall, I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

Exceptional quality photos in a little camera!

from Abrams, WI

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

This little camera packs a punch. It takes very clear pictures and videos and can still fit into your pocket. The L11 also has a number of color choices, including sepia (my favorite for old fashioned landscapes and scenery) and black and white. The only problem I seem to have is that when zooming, the autofocus doesn't ever focus. Fortunately, the clarity is good enough where I can enlarge the photos on the computer without losing the quality and then crop off what I don't want.All in all, this is a great take-anywhere camera.

The Nikon Coolpix is a good starter camera.

from Springville, UT

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

Nikon Coolpix L11 is a good camera for everyday.

from Monroe, MI

A few drawbacks:

Takes great Pictures

from Northfield, MA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

This camera was a birthday gift for my son. It was easy for him to learn how to use and it take great pictures too. It is small enough to take anywhere. I recoment a case to protect it from damage while out and about. Color is red and looks nice. he has used it at family functions and has taking many great photo shots with it. I like that it is compact and easy to handle. Comes with a strap so you can put it around your neck. It has the ability to also take a small video.

A great first camera for a newbie like me.

from Port Lavaca, TX

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L11 Digital Camera:

I've had this camera for about a year now and I have had no problems using it.  It is the first digital camera that I have ever owned.  At first I was intimidated by the many features and menu's that this thing has but it didn't take long to figure out that most of it only needed adjusting or set once.  I find myself only having to adjust the white balance, exposure, and flash.  This camera fits nicely in a pocket but I carry mine in a case around my neck.  The only problem that I have seen so far is that when you have the flash turned off you have a higher possibility of getting a blurred picture if the lighting isn't just right.  But all in all I would have to say I really like this little camera and it does everything that I need it to do.  If I get another camera to replace this one it will probably be a bigger more expensive digital camera.  But for cameras in this price range it fit the bill.  Of course this is coming from a newbie with little camera experience so take it for what it's worth.