4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

• Portability:

NIKON COOLPIX L20 Camera is more camera than I will ever need!

I received the Nikon Coolpix L20 from my husband as an early Christmas present.  I needed a new camera to take pictures for my new business website; but could not afford one.  He totally surprised me, as we have had some words concerning the time I spend on my business.  I never expected to get anything to help me in that regard.

He made a very good choice in the L20.  It is truly the best camera ever!  It took me only a little while to be able to take great Macro pictures of my jewelry items.  See the photos I have included.   I can also crop pictures in the camera and do a little rough editing.

The L20 is compact and fairly slim, yet easy to hold.  It has a large digital display; but no optical viewfinder.  I do not count this as a minus, as I have always had trouble using viewfinders.  The  multi-selector is just what it says.  Depending on the mode you have the camera in, the selector does different things.  It is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

The power goes off automatically if the camera is left on with no activity for a certain length of time to save the battery.  It will first go to standby, then to off.  These times can be set with the multi-selector.

The camera has 17 scene modes plus Easy Auto Mode and Auto Mode.  Some of the scene modes are Portrait, Party, Fireworks, Landscape, Night, Museum, and more.  I recommend starting with Easy Auto Mode to learn your way around.  It takes really nice pictures in any light level.  I even took one of my cat in a darkened bedroom.  The bright strobe flash really lit up the room and the picture came out great.  I have included that picture so you can see for yourself.

Setting the white balance is pretty simple once you find the right menu.  That is one of the problems I had when I got ready to take my website photos.  But the detailed manual explained clearly what I needed to do.

Making movies is easy with the L20.  You can make up to a 20 minute movie if you have enough space on your memory card.  The sound is not great; but then this is not the main purpose of this camera.

In Portait mode, the camera's face recognition and smile recognition  properties come into play.  The L20 automatically focuses on faces; and if there is one than more person in the scene, it focuses on the nearest one.  It also will let you know if someone blinks during the shot, giving you the chance at a do-over before the people move out of the shot.

You do have to experiment a little with the scene settings.  I took some pictures at a party.  When I set the scene for party, my pictures kept coming out blurred.  I finally set it on Portrait and got some pretty good shots.  See the nice shot of my husband I took.  It all depends on the light level in the room.

The only con I can think of for this camera?  It didn't come with an AC adapter.  You have to buy it separately.  I have always used the AC adapter on my old camera when taking pictures of merchandise.  This saved me from having to use up a lot of batteries.  The adapter came with my old camera.  You have the option of using  Ni-MH batteries; but the manual is unclear on which type.  It mentions both EN-MH1 and EN-MH2 which each have their own type of charger.  In the front of the manual, it states to only use EN-MH1, on page 100 it says EN-MH2.  On page 107 it mentions both; but does not say which is correct.  The camera menu setting just says Ni-MH  Very confusing.

All in all, I think this is a great little camera.  I can't imagine ever needing another one, unless this one breaks.

The Nikon L20 Is A Good Beginner Camera

I bought this camera when our old one fizzled out. It was a time where cash was short so I knew I wasn't going to get one of the best but I'd hoped to get at least the best of that price range. After weeks of searching the Nikon L20 was in the paper - on sale. I jumped at the chance to have it. What luck, right? A camera out of my price range on sale for a price I'd be willing to pay? Yeah, it wasn't the greatest luck. I'm an action shot kinda gal and the L20 is horrible at taking quick action shots. Not only is the shutter speed much too slow (by the time the picture actually takes the thing you were trying to get a shot of is miles away!) but the mode doesn't switch over quickly enough. I started out in the Easy Auto Mode in hopes of learning what shot uses which mode. That doesn't work too well. As I said it takes forever to switch over and even if it does switch over it may not be the correct mode for that shot. I've lost multiple pictures to blurriness or 'motion' trusting the Easy Auto Mode settings. I now keep it set to just Auto and it takes amazingly bright photos. Much better than the Easy Mode ... yet it still doesn't take action shots well.

There's also the problem with night shots even though there are 2 modes for nighttime photos. One for Night Portraits and one for Night Landscape. Whether you're outside or inside the photos don't take well. I've given up completely on nighttime shots.

In short, this is the perfect beginner camera or for more experienced 'novice' photographers who focus on stills more than action. Just a word of advice - keep it on the Auto Mode setting. You'll get much better pictures than switching through the various modes manually or even with Easy Auto Mode.

Great Everyday Camera

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

This is a great camera for everyday use. It takes all kinds of pictures and even has many presets included. However, its batter life is bad and the video quality is even worse. However, it is very good overall for normal day-to-day shots.

Image Quality
Great Photo Quality for its size and price.
Video quality is really bad.

Performs exceedingly well overall. The buttons feel good, the flash is good. It is oiverall good

Kind of difficult to use for beginners unless the manual is read multiple times.

Not very durable; must be treated carefully as not to drop and/or break it. The camera is very fragile overall.

Battery Life
Batteries don't last very long at all. I must always carry around batteries with me when I have the camera.

Portability
It is the right size for portability. If you buy a carrying case for the camera from any store like walmart or best but or anywhere else, it will make it much easier to carry around.

Nikon Coolpix L20 digital camera

from Altha, FL

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

I've owned Sony's for years and the last one just quit. I did so much research on the net looking for a new digi camera. I wanted something easy to use a point and shoot that was big enough to hold...I don't want something so small it's hard to hold. This one is perfect size with a nice size screen....Buttons on it are easy to understand and use. The camera is NOT a battery eater like some of the others I've owned. The quality of the pictures are good. Have had a couple turn out blurry but I think it's because I zoomed in to close and was to close t the subject. This is a great camera for beginners or for every day use. I love the auto flash and it does very well with low lighting. I paid 42.00 for this camera. great price but I also worked for a month on the net looking for the best price, coupons and free shipping. I have a good memory card, I'm told the bigger the card the better the pictures are.

Image Quality
I've had a few blurry pics but think it was my fault for zooming in on an already close subject. I just went to a childrens birthday party at a park...the kids are running around, swinging on swings sliding down the slide and I got some awesome motion shots with very fast motion, none of those were blurry...just nice bright colors and big bright smiles..

does not eat batteries, pics are colorful and bright. Takes good pictures in the bright Florida sun or in a dark room. Only problem I have is seeing the image on the screen in the bright sun light...but I just point and shoot and hope the camera is seeing and getting the same image I see. So far so good! I like the extra settings the camera has, the ease of zooming in or out and it's as fast as it should be with no lagging.

It's fairly new, I take care of my camera so not sure how it does if dropped etc...I own a bright red one and it hasn't been scratched so the red is good as far as standing up to being scratched. I do keep it protected in a sock that's been turned inside out.

Battery Life
so far best camera I've ever had that doesn't eat batteries. I got regular AA batteries with the camera and have taken over 1000 pics so far and the battery is still showing as full. Now I don't turn the camera on and leave it...I take my picture and shut it off as soon as I'm done.

No Rechargeable Battery

from Hollywood, FL

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

I couldn't believe it. I got the Nikon Coolpix camera home and I had to put in two AA batteries. The camera this was supposed to replace was born 12 years ago and it has a lithium battery that is still lasting. Why would Nikon make a camera where you need to put in regular batteries? Such a hassle! And normal quality batteries don't last at all in this camera. It's such a hassle to have to remember to bring regular batteries with our digital camera--a night out, kids games, vacations, etc.

As for the quality of the camera, we like it a lot. The memory is great, the quality of the photos is great, easy to use. There are some tasks that are impossible to figure out w/o a manual, beyond user-friendly (like Delete All Photos), but isn't that what Google is for anyway?

Image Quality
Really nice quality, especially with higher resolutions.

Some functions not easy, and the battery performance is terrible

Read the manual. Remember the manual on trips.

Battery Life
No rechargeable battery. Had I known that, I would NOT have purchased in the first place. And this camera sucks the life out of regular batteries quickly!

Excellent camera!!!

from Newburgh, NY

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

Love this camera!!! Got it for Christmas and have used it many times since then.

Outstanding quality!!!

Takes excellent photographs! Never have a problem with camera freezing up while taking pictures!!! Took a few videos also and they came out great!!!

I am not good with using electronics..including cameras...If I think this is easy to use, then everyone else will think it's easy to use also!!!

Haven't had an problems with this product at all.

Battery Life
Battery charges up quickly and lasts a really long time!! Great feature!!!

Portability
Small enough to carry easily everywhere. Very convenient!!! I have carried it in my wristlet and even in my coat pocket...it's that small!!

• Portability:

Great camera for the quick pictures

from Yukon, OK

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

This is a great camera if you are traveling and don't want to bring your expensive one. It snaps quick pictures that will keep the memories alive. It has a zoom and a flash so you can get all the pictures you would want.

I think this is a great camera for those that are scared of technology.

Awesome camera

from Greer, SC

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

This is a great little camera for the average person just snapping pictures. It has a great zoom, a large viewing screen, and is very simple to use. I particularly like that it comes in a variety of colors instead of just boring black or gray. The quality of the pictures it takes is very good and it is a great size for portability. I also really like the feature when reviewing pictures that you can see several pictures at the same time as thumbnails and then choose the picture you want to view larger. I have owned this camera for quite a while and have no complaints about it. The battery life is pretty good. All in all a wonderful little camera!

Nikon Coolpix L20

from Molalla, OR

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

Overall, the Nikon Coolpix L20 is a good little camera. I do love the size of it, easy to slip into my pocket or the diaper bag. It is lightweight and so portable. I have a larger camera too, but this is the one I would choose to grab if I didn't want to haul the big one around while I am out. The picture quality is decent, lots of options and settings. It is user friendly, pretty easy to take right out of the box and immediately take pictures. If you use rechargeable batteries, it saves a lot of money as well. If you did not want to spend a lot of money on a camera but wanted something decent and easy to use, I would go with the Nikon Coolpix L20!

Great camera.

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

I received this camera as gift from my best friend in 09 so that I had a camera to take pictures of my daughter who was pregnant wife. I love the camera. It is very easy to use and lightweight. I carry the camera everywhere with me. I put it in the small pocket of my purse and sometimes even forget i have it. There are times that I will get blurry pictures but it is rare. The picture quality is amazing. I have printed so many pictures I have taken with this camera and they have come out beautiful.

Image Quality
Sometimes the pics come out a little blurry.

Excellent.

Very easy to use.

Still working like the first day I used it.

Battery Life
Batteries last a long time.

Portability
Can throw it in small bag and doesn't take up too much room.

Affordable Camera with good results

from Bellevue, NE

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

Great camera for the price.

Image Quality
I like the images that the picture takes. They are a nice quality for a low priced camera.

I wish that there was a smaller delay in taking pictures, but for the price I couldn't find anything better.

Easy to use...no need to read the manual.

Battery Life
Even though the camera only takes AA batteries, the life is very good. We use rechargeable batteries to save money.

Portability
Very small and light weight.

Great camera

from Webster, MA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix L20 Digital Camera:

I have had this camera for over 3 years and it has been great. This was my second Nikon coolpix. It takes great pictures and videos. It's a great everyday camera, as well as a vacation camera. It's small, light weight and durible. I would definitely recommend this camera. It's functions are easy and I have never had any problems with it. I am very happy with this camera

Image Quality
Most of the time the pictures come out great. Sometimes I notice that when I zoom, they get a little blurry.

When it is first turned on, it takes a minute before you can take a picture. That can be frustrating when you need to take a quick picture.

It is a very easy camera to use.

The durability is good, but sadly, my kids dropped it a few times and a plastic piece broke where the battery and memory card are. Now the door doesn't close shut completely and I'll probably need to find a way to fix it or buy a new camera before the life of this camera is really done.

Battery Life
I use rechargeable batteries and they work great and last a decent amount of time (depending on how often it is used).

Portability
It is very portable. I have put it in my pocket many times. It is not extremely small, but easy to carry around.