Other Digital Cameras:

Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

• Portability:

Great camera for capturing our life.

When our digital camera died during my son's first Christmas Eve celebration, I was devestated.  We weren't going to be able to capture those precious memories.  I'm a scrapbooker and memory preservationist and I was crushed.  It was at that moment that I realized it was time to invest in some good equipment so that we could continue to capture all the "firsts" and all the great memories.  I'm not too camera savvy, which is why we had a cheap camera in the first place, so I went to my neighbor who is a photographer for help in choosing our next camera.  He recommended this camera because it was a good "in-between" from what we had and the fancy SLR's.  It had some basic features, as well as some things we hadn't had before.  It takes crisp and beautiful pictures.   My only complaint is that it is slow to actually take a picture.  You press the button down and it seems to take a couple of seconds to actually take the picture.  This can be frustrating with a busy toddler who doesn't want to sit still for a picture EVER!  But one feature we really like that our old camera didn't have, was the action feature.  When our son IS on the move, we can set it to that function and typically get a few really decent action shots that way.  As I said, this camera has some features that our old camera didn't have, and one day I would love to figure out what they do.  But for now, I'll stick with what I know and continue to enjoy the great pictures and memories that I can now preserve.

Has some good points, but I would have gone with something else

I bought the Nikon Coolpix P100 primarily to take pictures of my children. It has a good zoom feature. It is easy to use, but more difficult to use WELL. My kids can pick it up and take a picture with it, but they don't mind if their picture is blurry. Settings are fairly limited. Indoor pictures are often dark, even with the flash on. It does seem relatively sturdy. I do like the video recording feature.

Pictures are usually blurry and indoor pictures are dark even with flash

Easy to pick up and take a picture. With more work you can figure out how to take a decent picture

Portability
Awkward to carry around, even with neck strap.

I love it.

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

Great quality for the price.

Image Quality
It gives good quality of picture. I took my newborn picture with this. Every one appreciated of picture.

Can get take picture almost any situation. Its has all features. like closeup, night outdoor, night indoor, indoor party settings and more.

Can get all settings in one click. Very ease to use.

Its very stable model. good durable.

Battery Life
Battery life is excellent.Its coming for long duration. Im using Alkaline battery.(Not rechargeable one).

Portability
Little heavy compared to sleek camera, but i have light weight camera too, but quality of the pics not that good. but for the size of the camera weight is less. This can compete with professional camera.

• Portability:

Great camera, and easy to use!

from Marion, WI

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

This is a fabulous camera! It was easy to use from the get-go. It takes wonderful pictures that equal the quality of a professional. This camera has many settings for every picture taking situation. The zoom is wonderful, and the built in video camera works great too. I love this camera!

Image Quality
Very clear pictures, and easy to focus.

I get many compliments on my photography! It always performs well, no matter if we're inside or outside.

I was worried that it would take a long time to learn it, but it's very user friendly. Easy to pick up new skills, and the point-and-shoot quality makes it even easier.

I even allow my children to use the video camera, so they can make their own movies. It comes with a lens cap, so I don't worry about anything when they're using it.

Battery Life
Battery lasts a long time, and charges quickly.

Portability
I loved that it came with a neck strap--that's a feature we use often!

One step below DSLR

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

I am not a professional photographer by any stretch of the imagination but I do take tons of photos of my kids and enjoy playing around with the camera. I wanted a great camera but was a little afraid of all the controls of a DSLR, so I went with the Nikon P100. I am very happy with my choice. The zoom lens is awesome - perfect for school recitals and sporting events. The color in pictures is very good and it also has great performance in low light. I love the sports setting - I use this all the time in daylight, regardless of wha I am shooting because it takes shots so quickly. Battery life is pretty good - buy an extra to have on you just in case.

Portability
It's a little larger than compact cameras - but it has to be with such a big zoom lens. It's not huge - but it won't fit in your pocket.

Has some good points, but I would have gone with something else

Pictures are usually blurry and indoor pictures are dark even with flash

Portability
Awkward to carry around, even with neck strap.

• Portability:

This is a very durable camera that is easy to use.

from Johns Island, SC

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

This camera is the best I have used. It is easy to use and takes very good pictures in all types of conditions.

Image Quality
The quality of the pictures that you get with this camera, are outstanding

This is a very well built camera. It works very well in almost every situation

IT is user friendly. With just a little reading you can take wonderful photoes.

It will stand up very well, under normal use.

Battery Life
It has a very long battery life and is easly recharged.

Portability
It is small enough to be easily carriedalmost anywhere.

• Portability:

Better off with no buying this camera

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

do not buy this item,I bought this camera thinking nikon would make a good camera ,turned out to be a bad camera.MY pocket camera does a better job

Very slow shutter ,if you are trying to take a action good luck ,your better off with another camera

The 26x zoom brings the shots to you

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

I had a smaller, point-and-click digital camera that worked well, but when I saw the difference between my shots and my relative's shots of the same thing, I got an itch to upgrade. After researching, I found the Nikon Coolpix P100 was the one for me, and I haven't been disappointed. This camera is takes excellent pictures of scenery and wildlife that tend to mostly be from a distance as well as close up shots of my toddler. My pictures come out crisp with vibrant color. I haven't quite figured out the whole video feature yet which is a downside, but that's about the only one. Sometimes the shutter speed is a little slow, but a few tweaks of the settings fixes that. There are also some specialized settings for things like fireworks, night pictures, sunsets, etc that make great pictures look even better. Overall, I highly recommend this camera.

nikon p100 is a good step up from a basic point and shoot

from South Jordan, UT

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

I've owned a few canon point and shoot digital cameras over the past several years.  Most people I know are getting into the whole photography trend and upgrading to DSLR's but I had a hard time justifying spending that much money on a camera. After lots of research I ended up with this Nikon coolpix p100.  It has more features, and can take better quality than a basic point and shoot and it doesn't come with the expense of a DSLR.  However, it obviously doesn't come with the quality of a DSLR either. I was also interested in a camera that took HD videos.  I haven't been extremely happy with the quality of video, but it's good enough.  You just have to hold really still while shooting.  I'm happy with what I've learned about the camera, but feel like it's going to take some time to get used to how to get around and take good photos.  I'm happy with the purchase, and as long as you aren't expecting DSLR quality you will be happy.

Great Camera for family & vacations

from Utica, MI

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

I purchased this camera just over a year ago to use at home, for vacations and during my kids sporting events. Overall I've found it to be easy to use and to take good quality pictures. It isn't as portable as many point & shoot camera although it does still fit in my (large) purse.

I like the fact that it uses regular AA batteries. It is very easy to move from screen to screen and to change modes. It also has an easy auto mode that works well for most circumstances. I have found that it often won't flash on the easy auto mode though, even though a flash would help the picture.

The stabilization is good for this camera although it does sometimes take pictures that are quite out of focus if you haven't chosen the right mode for the picture. If you are prepared ahead of time, the pictures come out great - otherwise you will find yourself messing around with the modes to get the highest quality picture.

The camera has many options including a continuous sports shot mode and a panorama assist mode which both work very well.

Overall, for the price I would highly recommend this camera.

Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera ---Wonderful camera

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera:

This is a very versatile camera and responsive to most needs. It has a good macro range to go along with a super zoom range. I bought this camera about three months ago, and time has identified its perfect quality. We used it many many time during three months, and the pictures showed the nice performence of NIkon coolpix P100. I really love it so much. Compared with our last camera, this one indeed enhance the quality of pictures and many other performances. It seems to me that the basic operation (load, shoot, zoom, focus, etc.) is very easy and very satisfactory. So, so far I love it so much. If it had the equivalent of slow color shutter and nightvision it would be pretty well perfect.

We are so interested in Nikon, and always waiting for any chances of bargin, yet we are desperate to hold one of Nikon - Coolpix P100 Digital Camera at the end of last year. If we could wait for a longer time, maybe it will be much cheaper, yet we feel not pitiful at all, because we have enjoyed the happiness that it have brought us for three months. So I strongly recommend it to everybody.