Other Sunscreens:

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

Pros

Cons

Sometimes Ethnic Skin Needs Sun Protection Too

As a black woman, I have no history with using sunscreen because the melanin in my skin provides natural SPF protection, and I don't spend *that *much time in the sun in any event.   I don't even know what constitutes a good sunscreen from a bad or mediocre one.  Well, my viewpoint has recently changed and I have been forced to learn about these products. One day while I was out in my garden, I noticed a terrible rash on my arm where the sun had been particularly bright on my skin.  My doctor told me that sun sensitivity was a side effect of a prescription medication that I'm on, and that I needed to use a sunscreen on exposed skin when I can't avoid being out on a sunny day.  Sunscreen?  Me?   I guess there's a first time for everything.

I went to my local drugstore and headed straight to the Neutrogena display.  I'm a big fan of Neutrogena and I use their products for my daily skin care regimen.  I figured if they can create quality facial washes, toners, and acne products then I can trust them to make a quality sunscreen.

The product is described as having some great new technology called Helioplex that's supposed to be very effective UV protection.  I squeezed some of the product into my hands.  It has a funny smell - nothing overpowering- and maybe that's just how sunblock smells.  Anyway, I rubbed some on my arms and the lotion penetrated quickly.  It felt a little greasy as I applied it, but once it was thoroughly dry to the touch, it didn't appear oily at all.  It had a slight matte feel to it. I didn't put it on my face, however, because I do have oily skin and I do not need clogged pores.  I settled with wearing a wide brimmed visor to protect my facial skin. Interestingly, the sunblock wasn't exactly sheer; I could still see a noticeable tinge of white on my caramel-brown arms.  But I suppose that can't be helped.

All in all, Neutrogena Sunblock worked well for me and I would recommend it.  Even on a sunny day I don't get skin irritation when I use the product.  I only use it on my arms and the back of my neck so my little tube will probably last awhile.

I have mixed feelings about this sunscreen

I have tried a couple of sunscreens and still haven't found the sunscreen that I would religiously use everyday. Neutrogena's is definitely NOT every day use. It is super oily and super greasy, cakes and melts off all my make-up in a matter of  few hours.I do like how I really don't tan much more when Ido  use it, so although uncomfy, it must be blocking some UV rays and protecting my skin. I just wish it was more comfortable escpescially for the price it charges.

Finally, a Sunblock I Can Recommend!

from Concord, NC

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

I am always outside in the spring and summer. I am a nature child, and I have been since birth. That said, I hate sunscreens and sunblocks, and lotions too. I can't stand the feeling of greasy or oily, especially if it never feels like it's completely absorbed. I have always avoided sunblocks, but since a family member was recently diagnosed with skin cancer, I have become more aware of the need.

I use Neutrogena products for my skin already, so naturally, it was the brand I decided to try. The first time I (reluctantly) tried Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF55, I felt like a fool for not doing this sooner.

I was immediately impressed by how light and non-greasy the product was. It was very smooth and applied easily. It absorbed quickly and didn't leave an oily or unpleasant residue. Within 2 minutes, I almost forgot I had applied anything because it was as sheer as the bottle claimed. The scent was also pleasant enough.

It held up well to my sweating, and I didn't need to apply but every 2 hours or so. I have not used it while swimming yet, so I don't know just how water resistant it really it, but if my heavy summer sweating is any indication, it will do quite well.

If you're out in the sun, this is a great product that should be in everyone's medicine cabinet!

Great for Sensitive Skin

from MI

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

My husband has extremely sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts and very easily burns. Neutrogena is one of the sunscreen brands that has been recommended to me by my dermatologist time and time again, and I feel confident choosing it. I have been buying the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock for the past few years, and I have been very happy. It seems to provide great protection, it goes on really easily, it is light and non-greasy, which is especially good for my breakout-prone hubby, and it seems to really cover well with just a little bit. It seems long lasting, has a very mild scent that isn't over powering, and it is just a well-rounded, nice sunblock that I feel good using, especially since it is a brand that has been dermatologist recommended!

Absorption
Goes on light, is not greasy and is easy to rub in.

I think as long as you apply this BEFORE going out into the sun, or to the beach and give it a few minutes, it has always been very effective for my family.

My Go-To Sunblock

from La Crescenta, CA

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this product! I use a great deal many different Neutrogena products and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they also offer sunscreen as well! I would say that in comparison to other brands, I definitely felt as though I was better protected from the sun after application, which is fairly easy to do. Even after exposure to water and sun after a considerable period of time has elapsed, I don't feel the need to re-apply, as it is a very effective product. In fact, I believe I have never even gotten a sunburn when using this product. Another plus is that there is no need to worry about experiencing the sticky residue that results from using other sunscreen brands. Even though Neutrogena's products are a little more expensive than other sunscreen brands, I would not hesitate to purchase it. It is definitely worth it.

Dry-touch is the great

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

This is one of the best sunblocks that you could buy if you have children. Neutrogena has done a great job coming up with their Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. The fact that it is SPF fifty-five is great; you are certain that you will get protection from the sun, but you also are guaranteed that you can still get a good looking suntan. The dry-touch part of this lotion keeps you from looking wet and oily. I have found that this product is great for my skin. The scent is really good and does not irritate your nostrils. I think that it rubs in really nicely and is fairly quick too. My one complaint about this lotion is that it is not as water-proof as I like. You've got to be careful about reapplying if you start sweating or go swimming. If you stay fairly dry, it does a great job in protecting from sunburn. This is one of the better rub-on lotions that I have found. Overall, this is a great lotion, and I would recommend it to my friends and family.

Neutrogena Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

If you are looking for a sunblock that soaks in to your skin quickly then this is it.

It is a pleasant but not too strong a scent.

Absorption
It absorbs quickly and leaves your skin soft and supple.

Longevity
Unless I will be in the sun all day long I only use it once per day.

It provides a definite shield against the sun.

Ease of Application
It is very easy to apply. It is not runny or oily which I like very much.

• Ease of Application:

Sun protection for sensitive skin

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

My husband and I both have sensitive skin and have had some very unpleasant reactions to sunscreen. A couple of years ago, he took up sailing as a hobby, so now he sailing several days a week from spring to fall, and I join him whenever I can. With all this sun exposure on the water, we knew we needed to find a sunscreen that's good for sensitive skin and doesn't cost a fortune. We spotted a "buy 2, get one free" deal on Neutrogena sunscreens, so we picked the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55. We've been using it for months, and so far it's been just what we needed!

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 has the distinctive smell of sunscreen, but it's not particularly strong or unpleasant.

Absorption
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 absorbs very quickly, even on tougher skin like hands and feet.

Longevity
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 last very well, even during sweaty pursuits like sailing. (It's only water resistant, though, so if you fall or jump into the water, you'll need to reapply it.)

Even after a full day on the water, neither of us has gotten a sunburn while using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55.

Ease of Application
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 is fairly easy to apply, it's a cream that you just rub on (being careful to cover all exposed skin, since it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave telltale marks to help you see where you've missed). It gets runnier as the tube gets warmer, so keep it out of the sun to make re-application easier.

• Ease of Application:

Great sunscreen for your face

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

Neutrogena spray is one of my favorite sunblocks, but I don't like to use that on my face because you can't really control the spray and keep it from getting in your eyes. With that in mind, I bought Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 for my face. This does not make my skin oily at all, and it does a great job of keeping me from getting a sunburn. It also have a nice, fresh scent that is not overwhelming.

I have sensitive skin, and tend to breakout or get rashes pretty easily. I never have that problem when I use this sunscreen. My skin does not get sensitive at all from this product.

This has a great scent. It is not too powerful that it becomes overwhelming.

Absorption
This sunscreen absorbs really well into your skin. You don't have to worry about it just sitting on the surface or making your skin look oily.

Longevity
I typically only put this on in the morning, and it lasts all day for me.

Whenever I use this sunscreen, I don't have any problems with getting burned.

• Ease of Application:

Works wonders for my extremely sensitive and pale skin.

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

I have a lot of problems with the sun during the warmer times of the year, and with pale gingery skin, I get burned extremely easily. I try to find products that will block my skin from the sun, but I find that many of them have weird side effects or dry my skin out. This was a wonderful product, not only did it product my skin so well from damage, but it also made my skin soft and it absorbed so quickly.

Better Than Average

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

I've been using this product for over two years, and when I was initially exposed to it, I was in love with. But having since experienced other products as well, it has had a bit of a falling from grace as my favorite. I've chosen to use other products as of now, but that certainly doesn't make this a bad product at all. I primarily use this for body coverage now, whereas I once used it on my face too.

It has a very typical sunscreen scent, and while some may enjoy that, others may be fairly off put by it. It dissipates shortly after application, but if you are applying this to your face, you'll have to deal with the scent longer than if you were just applying it to your body.

Absorption
It dries down very nicely, but it terms of absorption, it can leave a bit of a film on your skin. Granted, if you don't disturb this film by say, rubbing your arms frequently, or something of the likes, it isn't a problem.

Longevity
Because of the high SPF, you can go longer without reapplication. But, for safety's sake, try at least to reapply every hour if you can if you're partaking in any sports or swimming. For just normal wear, every two hours is a fairly reasonable goal.

I have yet to be sunburned whilst wearing this product, and for being nearly albino, this is definitely a huge plus.

Ease of Application
Applies just as any other cream sunblock, which is typically the best type of sunblock you can use.

Fantastic, weightless sun protection

Comments about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55:

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock is exactly as the name implies- very light weight and non greasy. A little bit goes a long way which means this stuff can last forever. I put it on every morning over my toner and under my foundation and though I can't even feel it's there I know that it's giving my face an added layer of protection from UV rays.

I don't notice a very strong scent from this product at all. It doesn't even really smell like traditional sunscreen.

Absorption
Not bad. Obviously you have to do a decent job rubbing it in or your face will be shiny. It is sunblock after all.

Longevity
As long as you don't sweat, shower or swim during the day I don't see why you'd need to reapply it.

I guess it's hard to say but I'd give this category a 9 because I trust Neutrogena and there's certainly no way it could be doing harm. Plus, it makes my skin very soft.

Ease of Application
Definitely not a difficult step to add to my morning routine. However, the bottle is very small so I would limit this product to face and neck and use regular sunscreen if you need coverage on your shoulders, etc.