View more routers

WPN824
Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router

Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router

High Speed, Long Range, Stronger Security

The WPN824v2 is a great choice for those who require longer range with their wireless network. The wireless signal is strong enough that I was able to access my network in my basement. The basic security features are robust enough that the casual broadbandit will end up with nothing. As advice, never use a WEP key. If your devices are not compatible with WPA, I suggest buying newer devices.

If this is the RangeMax, I would hate to see the Range Minimum!

When we purchased our **Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Wireless Router,** we were assured by the salesman and by the product's packaging information that it could handle everything we own that connects to the internet, from one end of our home to the other, including our upstairs bonus room. We were excited and hopeful, but our excitement turned to disappointment as soon as we got the device home and hooked it up.

First of all, we were never able to get the PC that's upstairs in our bonus room to connect to the internet...not even once. We spent hours on the telephone with Netgear's technicians, but they blamed everything BUT their wireless router for the fact that it wouldn't connect. We finally gave up on trying to connect the upstairs' PC to the internet and went about our business trying to use our downstairs PCs, laptops, netbooks, game systems, iPods, etc...to connect to the internet with the help of our new **Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Wireless Router.**

Well, that didn't go very well, either. This wireless router could handle about two items at the time without losing internet connection, but usually no more than 2 items! If I was using my netbook, one of my sons was using his laptop, and another of my sons or my husband tried to connect using a PC, iPod, the X-Box 360, the PS3, etc...everything would time out and we would all lose our internet connection. It was so frustrating and so aggravating when that happened, and it happened often. My sons lost unsaved schoolwork and I lost whatever I happened to be working on or doing on the internet many, many times.

My husband finally got totally fed up, called our ISP, and had them come out and install some kind of really heavy duty wireless router (at an extra cost, of course), and it can handle connecting as many of our gadgets to the internet as we need or want to connect to the internet, all at the same time, and it does so without losing the connection!

The **Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Wireless Router** may work fine for smaller homes with fewer people using multiple items to connect to the net all at the same time, but it's basically useless for larger homes and large families who have many items that need to be online at the same time.

Part of this product's description given by it's manufacturer is: *"With the RangeMax Wireless Router, your whole house becomes a "hot spot". NETGEAR's exclusive RangeMax technology gives you the longest range of any wireless device on the market today - up to 10 times the wireless coverage of 802.11g. So you'll have a sizzling-fast, consistent connection in every room of your house ... and beyond."*

That was not the case when I tried to use the product...not even close! I wouldn't recommend this product because it did not work as it claimed it would and it was basically useless for my needs. My **Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Wireless Router** ended up at Goodwill, and I sincerely hope it worked better for someone else than it did for me....but I have my doubts!

The Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Wireless Router was unable to handle more than two or three devices connecting to the internet. Maybe there was something wrong with the one we purchased, but it's performance was very poor.

I honestly do not know how durable this product is. It never worked for my household, so I gave it away.

Setup & Ease of Use
The Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Wireless Router was easy to set up and if it would have worked, it would have been very easy to use.

Service & Support
The customer Service Representatives were never able to tell us why this router wouldn't work or what to do to make it work. They were as useless as the router!

I get internet, but not always

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

The first few years this worked wonderful. I got a conection everywhere in my house. Even the basement and second floor. The design is very sleek, I love the white and enjoy the blue light. Anyway, the last fiew months I have been loosing conection for no reason. I also wanted to add another device to my wireless and I ended up having to reset it. So now I cant figure out how to make my conection secure. I'm no computer wiz, but I wish it was a little easier to do.

Service & Support
I never contacted costumer support, I just know that the troubleshooter wasn't always helpful

• Setup & Ease of Use:
  • Service & Support:

Horrible for hooking up multiple game consoles.

from Franklin, NH

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

I think it would be better if they had better, less expensive tech support. after short warranty period they ask for more than value of new router for small ammount of assistance. The hardware isn't bad, just customer relations.

Netgear Wireless Router suits my needs!

from Orefield, PA

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

This is my first wireless router and it works great to suit my needs. The only disappointment was that this particular one (I believe it was refurbished) did not come with the installation CD, instead I had to search for the installation instructions on the manufacturer's website, which were very hard to find. Once it was set up, I had no problems using it and it has been working great. I would definitely recommend this product.

Great

from Glenview, IL

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

My family has had a wireless router for quite sometime, I would say atleast four years. We were recommended Netgear by Comcast (the guys that set-up internet in our house). It's a quality product that so far has lasted us 4 years. We've never had to replace the box or any ethernet cable wires. We've never really had any internet glitches. If we have any any glitches they've been minor and it's pretty simple to reset the box. Once you unplug the box, wait 30 seconds and restart the box, the internet goes back to working as quick as usual. Our family is satisfied. It's a one time cost and does not require a huge amount of investment. When we needed a router for a small business we recently opened, getting a Netgear was a no brainer. It's a quality product and very user friendly. Even my non computer savvy mother feels comfortable using, resetting it. Netgear is the way to go if your looking for a solid wireless router.

Netgear works for me

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

I have had this Netgear wireless router for a few years and it works pretty good. The body of the router is pretty durable and I like that they've given you a few different input options. I have moved several times with this router and everything is still working like new and there isn't a scratch on it. There's even a cool LED light on top that lets you know that its functioning. But when I had a little trouble setting it up, I had to call customer service, who was of no help and actually had the nerve to get frustrated with me! After about 2 plus hours on the phone the router finally decided to work properly. Since then I have had no real issues with the router, except for the ocassional drop in signal strength. But that is a minor issue and has never lasted for more than a few minutes. The original price for the router was fairly cheap and I believe it is even cheaper nowadays. Overall, Netgear wireless router is a pretty good product that I'd reccomend.

Netgear makes one great product!

from Starke, FL

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

My husband bought this for me about 5 years ago...maybe 6 now. We bought it for me to work off my laptop at home and for us to connect to Xbox live. It was easy to set up, and I really mean that, we love technology, but we aren't always tech savvy. This was a breeze to do though. Plus, we've had no issues with it.  It has really held up remarkably well.

Since we work odd hours and have kids, the router is left on 24/7. Never so much as a hiccup. Any connection problem we ever experienced was the fault of our wireless server, not our router. I was glad to see this on the list for review, I was just telling my husband that I wanted to write a review for it since it's served us so well. I suppose if you want to , you can spend tons more on some lavish router, but this one has been great for us. We run a computer, a laptop, and 2 gaming systems with it. No trouble whatsover. Worth it's weight in gold

Wish I never bought this router

from Davis, CA

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

The Netgear WPN824 Wireless Router is a router that operates on the 802.11b/g spectrum. There are four Ethernet ports and supposedly reaches a theoretical wireless transfer rate of 108Mbps. The WPN824 router is rather sleek looking with glowing LED lights that you can thankfully turn off. However, that’s about all I can say about the router that is praise worthy. Unfortunately, with my experience, the router does not last very long. I encountered a problem with it that cannot be fixed with a firmware update (and also at that time it was not supported with open source firmware like tomato or DD-WRT). The problem was mainly with the fact that somehow the router logs excessive data and is unable to free up its internal cache and data. When it gets too full, the router is unable to function as a router and as a result requires you to do a reset on it. Restoring or upgrading firmware did not fix the problem, and the constant resets were frustratingly annoying. The router barely lasted a year, and I have thankfully gotten rid of it.

Pretty easy setup

from Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

Netgear products are easy to use and to install.  The only con I see is that the netgear router dies in a matter for a year or two.  Strange how the router would just die without any physical damage and also no apparent electrical surges. But overall install is pretty neat.

not bad

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

Cons: - We used to lose connection on all devices several times every evening until I disabled Maxrange and 108 Mb speed (can work only with devices with compatible Netgear cards) - Wireless access list doesn't work properly. Tech support told me I don't need it with wpa2 because wpa2 is secure. Maybe they're right, but why is it available with it and not working? Bad design. - Support was worthless - communication problems, bad connection and their only help was to suggest to stop using access list for wireless devices "because it is secure without it". I have since performed numerous factory resets and I kept having several one minute outages every evening until I disabled the two above mentioned proprietary features. It was very annoying. - Router went beserk after Panasonic security webcam tried to auto-configure UPNP for web access. It was altering from up and down every few minutes and I had to reload the firmware to revive it. - Until I added reservations for all my devices Mac addresses, the IP address of our iPhones kept getting incremented each time I would turn the screen on. Pros: Good range. Range is even more so amazing with Maxrange enabled but that makes it flaky. I recommend it only if you are using Netgear wireless cards.

Netgear wireless is great

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router:

It was a little tough to get it started because i didn't use the manual, but i eventually figured it out. This wireless router is great we got it as a gift from a friend of ours and it has worked great ever since we got it. The reception around the house is great and sometimes outside of our house. But having too much range can be a bad thing because of hackers out there. One really cool thing about it is you can hook up other wires and run them to your ps3 or xbox or tivo, whereas before i couldnt had to use a wifi connection, which can slow it down if you have 6 or 7 things using the airwaves at the same time. Plus a wired connection is always better. But for things like the ipod touch and the droid, which cant be wired it is a very useful item and sometimes a necessity. It is pretty convenient in that it doesnt hog any computer space too. There have only been a few times where the wifi will stop working for a little bit and its really annoying.