View more routers

Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router

Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router

3.8

Does More Than I Expected

When I first got my ***Netgear Router*** it was to connect our two desktop Macintosh computers to our new cable modem. It said wireless but since I did not have wireless capability in either computer I ignored this possibility. Recently my daughter received a Macintosh iMac Notebook for college. She is living at home during her first year and when she brought it home to study she realized that the ***Netgear Router*** was compatible to her notebook's wireless capability. She was able to work in her room wirelessly. This was a great time saver since I was expecting to have to run a wire to her room. She has now been using her computer all semester, all over the house with no problems connecting to the inter-net.

So we now have three computers connected to this router. Two are hard wired and my daughter's laptop using a wireless connection. All three computer are in constant use connecting to the inter-net. There are never interference problems with the wireless signal and multiple connections do not slow any of the computer's downloads down. She has worked all over the house and even taken her computer onto the porch. The router sits on the floor under the upstairs computer table. It is kicked and pulled around often due to the cluster of wires under the table. It has stood up to this miss handling very well.

When I bought this router at *Radio Shack* I had no idea what I was buying. I told the store clerk what I wanted and he showed me several models. The Netgear router was on sale, so I bought it. Now that it has proved itself so reliable and durable I am very pleased and satisfied with my purchase.

Okay router for small spaces

I have owned 2 of these Netgear wireless routers.  The first one I owned lasted for about a year, and then after, packing it in a suitcase, it just stopped working point blank.  No real explanations or causes.  The second one I've bought has served me much better in terms of longetivity.  The router is pretty basic, but does its job in covering a small to medium sized space.  The signal is usually clear and does not go in and out - if it does it's been the internet provider's problem, not the router's. The only time this router is not up to par is in big spaces or in spaces with really thick - think brick - walls.  Then I found the signal to be patchy.  I really like the sleek, modern, and white design of the router and the fact that you can choose to locate it horizontally or vertically.  My only other problem with the router is that I think it is difficult to set up this router.  The disc isn't very helpful and the steps are confusing.  Every time we have to restart the thing, it takes a while.  NetGear needs to simplify this!

Netgear is okay for the money

from Tooele, UT

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

Netgear was the least expensive router so we got it. We've had trouble with it needing to be reset and stuff, but I think you'd probably have that with any router. Overall, I think that for the money it was a good buy. We've had it for 6 years now and its still working just as well as the day we got it.

Coverage is fine for our home. We have about 1200 feet main floor and we have good coverage everywhere in our house and even quite a ways outside. We have okay coverage even beyond our property line.

We had trouble setting it up and I spent hours on the phone with both Netgear and my ISP trying to figure it out. Netgear with NO HELP and they're final answer was that we needed to spend a ton of money to get a dedicated IP address to solve the problem. What?! My ISP was the one who figured it out: we couldn't have numbers in our password, only letters. Whatever. Wish I'd known that before I spent all that time with Netgear's worthless customer service.

• Setup & Ease of Use:
  • Service & Support:

Great...but I know nothing about routers

from New York, NY

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

If you aren't tech savvy like me, continue reading. If you are, stop because you'll probably be offended by my ignorance. I "inherited" this router from my roommate (she moved out and just left it). That was a few years ago. The fact that I have never had a problem with this router and have never needed another one is a testament to the quality of it which is why i'm writing this review. It has served me well. As I mentioned, I know nothing about routers and stuff like this so I very well could be missing out. But I can't imagine what I would need that this doesn't provide. I never have a problem with it shutting down or going off line. And I never ever have a problem with speed. Also, it is a secure router--I am confident no one is hacking in to it or doing any funny business. Based on that, I would recommend it.

Netgear WGR614v7 54mbps Wireless Router

from Chico, CA

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

I have a netgear Wireless Router and have no been able to get it to work right. Do not have the money to have it hooked up by a professional and have found it hard to understand the directions, so unless you are highly trained in computers and adding attachments i do not recommend this paticular brand.

Netgear is awesone

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

This product satisfies exactly what I need. It gives me great performance and the speed is great. It adds speed to my modem. It connects to multiple wireless objects like my ipod touch and my playstation 3. With it I'm able to serve the internet really fast in my ipod touch and in my playstation 3. It also has live parental controls to take care of those pages that you may not want your child to see. The live parental controls block all of those unsafe internet pages, content, and applications and can be managed anywhere you want. It also protects all the devices connected to the router such as computers, laptops, gaming devices like psp and playstation 3, and even the ipod touch. It also has a feature called Push "N" Connect using the wi-fi setup, it's a secure connection at the push of a button. The range of wi-fi that the wireless router provides a great job in my home. Every wireless object in my home is able to receive great wireless signal with the netgear wireless router.

Okay router for small spaces

from Washington, DC

Netgear WGR614 v7 54mbps Wireless Router great choice

from Kissimmee, FL

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

**Netgear WGR614 v7 54mbps Wireless Router was a great choice we made after having to replace my old lynksys router. First of all we have five computers at home and it took me a while to find out that the internet connection would fail so much because my router was outdated. Although I am not a computer expert I figure that could be something with the connecton, just to discover it was indeed the router. I bought netgear and my nephew installed it for me. The diference is amazing. Now all computers are really fast, for downloads, loading pages and all. My internet conection is very good and I was "under using" it. I am happy with this NetGear router version. It might be just a detail, but the design is also nice, sleek and modern, it does not show a lot on my desk. I know there are newer versions of Netgear router available now,  I am not sure which ones, but I can just imagine they are as good as **Netgear WGR614 v7 .****

No Good

from Douglasville, GA

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

Maybe I just had a lemon. The thing would just not work. I installed it several times to no avail. I thought my computer was the problem so I took it over to my sister-in-law's house and installed it there. Still a no go. I ended up getting another one (it was on sale at a great price). After installing it on my computer again the Netgear WGR614 v7 54mbps router did nothing. So maybe I just had two lemons. I have no ida if that was the case because I took it back and got a Lynksys router that worked fine the first time. I can't recommend the Netgear WGR614 v7 54mbps router because basically it did not do anything other than make my computer appear to be a little more fancy with the different wires connected to it. But that is all the Netgear WGR614 v7 54mbps did-looked pretty, It probably spent several minutes laughing at me with the computer while I was pulling my hair out in a futile attempt to make it work.

NetGear WGR614 excels at networking!

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

Most people purchasing this product do not know the power they hold in such a small device.  We utilize this router at work for static routing from our network to another network.  I suspect most end users are simply hooking it up to their simple home networks and never using the advanced features.  While it is great for a simple home router, it is also excellent at more advanced functionality. It is easy to use and set up.The instructions are easy to follow. It not only does what it says it will do, it does so very much more.

It is a nice compact piece of equipment that doesn't take up a lot of space. I have had mine set up at work for almost a year now with no connectivity issues or 'hiccups' you occasionally see with electronic equipment.  For the price spent, it is worth every penny!  This product is absolutely wonderful for the simplest of networks to even networks that are a bit more sophisticated.  Bravo, NetGear!

Easy, even a dumbing could do it

from Hartland, WI

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

*I've had two other routers and this is the best I've come across.  I've had this over a 11 months and have had no problems, even thru power outages. It is very easy to access the router with wireless equipment, also the security settings make it safe to use while also easy to access.   I also like the fact that you can stand it on end or hang it so you can find virtually any place to use or hide this router.*

Easy to set up

from Greensburg, PA

Comments about Netgear 54mbps Wireless Router:

I've had this router for a few months now.  Was easy to install and with a netbook and laptop in use, I've had no problems with either running slow because of a weakened signal.

Another thing I like about this router is the fact that should the power go off for whatever reason, it's quick to get back up to full strength!

I highly recommend this router to anyone looking for an easy to install with a great strength of signal wireless router.