Other Video Services:

Pros

Cons

Unlimited Streaming of Movies and TV Shows for a Low Monthly Fee

Netflix started out as a DVD rental company, but has since then added a video streaming service. This streaming service it what I will be focusing on. The DVD service offers even more selection than the streaming service, but with the streaming service you do not need to wait for the movie to arrive in the mail. With the DVD service you can only have one or two DVDs at a time and there is a lot of time between returning one DVD and receiving the next. In comparison, with streaming you can watch movie after movie without interruption. Since Netflix is a subscription service reducing the amount of time you are waiting increases the value of the service, this is why I view the streaming option as a better deal. As a side note, with the streaming service you will need to have a reasonably fast internet connection, about the same as what you need for YouTube.

From here on out when I mention Netflix I am referring to the streaming service. Netflix offers a wide array of videos for you to choose from classics to new releases. The catalog of movies and TV shows is always changing, but at the time of writing the James Bond movie Skyfall, The Hunger Games, and several Marvel superhero moves are some of the newest movies available, and they are only a year or two old. An example of older movies available include Planet of the Apes, and Forest Gump. They also have some excellent indie movies such as Indie Game: The Movie. One of the reasons I gave Netflix a 9 instead of a 10 is because while it is great they are always adding movies to Netflix, they also take down movies which can be disappointing.

Netflix does not stop with just movies they also have lots of good TV shows such as The Walking Dead, House of Cards, Longmire, Burn Notice, Prison Break, Sherlock, and lesser known good shows like FireFly. They also have older TV shows like Doctor Who, Star Trek, The Twilite Zone, Andy Grifith, and The A-Team. Like the movies these are not guaranteed to always be available on Netflix, but generally both the movies and the TV shows stay up long enough. An additional problem with Netflix is that the newest seasons of nearly all current TV shows are not available on Netflix. Never the less, this is fine with me provided they can keep the monthly price down so low.

There are lots of videos on Netflix which you would not want your young child seeing, and I have not checked in to what parental controls might be built into Netflix, but that would be something to take into consideration. One thing I do know is that you can not delete your viewing history so at least you could see after the fact what your child has been watching. I did not mention many kids movies or TV shows, but Netflix does offer a lot of that as well. Such as The Lorax, several Veggie Tales movies, and Peanuts movies, and some classic Disney cartoons. There is a lot of kids TV too like Scooby-Doo, Spider-Man, and My Little Pony.

You can watch Netflix on your PC or on an Android or iOS device. There are also devices designed specifically for video streaming such as Roku and Chromecast, but one of the most popular was to watch Netflix is on a console like a PS3, Xbox 360, or Wii. The PS3 and Wii do not charge any additional fees, but unfortunately if you have an Xbox 360 you will need to pay a monthly or yearly fee to Microsoft as well as Netflix. I mostly watch Netflix on my Android, but I also like watching movies on my PS3 with my family, and having the option of watching on my PC is good as well. You likely will have different preferences for where to watch Netflix and that is why it is good to have so many options. Other services like Hulu and Crackle are good free similar to Netflix, but Netflix has much, much more quality content than any of the other services, and is by far king of the hill. Hulu can be better for current episodes of some TV series, but other than that Netfilx is the best.

Its ok-ish

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with Netflix. We've stuck with Netflix for about 7 years. At one time we got 5 movies at once and did not get cable or satellite and were decently happy with their service. Then the streaming started. Then they started charging more. And, their dvd-only customers have suffered in the process.

My family currently gets 2 movies at a time, unlimited. We have had The Little Mermaid on the number one position of our queue for over two months. It states Very Long Wait. Is this movie impossible for them to gain another copy of? Its pretty well known, but its 20 years old! I'm sure every family in America isn't trying to get it all at once. At the same time, we got a movie, for my kids, sent to us. It came on a Wednesday. This particular Wednesday was AWFUL and a movie in the mail seemed like an angel in disguise, just so I could fix dinner!!!!! The disc was completely cracked. I immediately got online and updated my queue saying that I'd like a replacement disc because mine was cracked. This was on a Wednesday. On Friday TWO DAYS LATER, Netflix emails me to tell me they will send me a replacement copy. This copy didn't arrive until Monday. A company known for their "next day shipping" took 5 days to fix a broken disc. ALSO, the replacement? Won't play at all. Not at all.

However, its hard to imagine no Netflix in our lives. Rental places are a thing of the past and the ones left are crazy expensive. Red box is all well and good, but they don't have the options that Netflix has. No seasons of old shows, no workout videos.

I gave them a 3 because, they do basic customer service and get the job done. They just don't do it all that well.

Good for the price

from CA

About Me Value Oriented

Pros

• Easy To Install
  • Easy To Navigate
  • Great Value

Cons

• Home Use
    • Multimedia

Comments about Netflix:

Netflix is a great service especially if you don't want to pay for cable. Netflix brings you streaming and Dvds if you would like to receive them in the mail. Streaming in my opinion is the way to go, but if there is something you want to see then Dvds are great too. I love the price of the service just for the streaming process.

You will have to pay extra to add Dvds and more devices, but in the end the price is worth it because it is still less than cable. You will see old movies, shows and tv shows that are added monthly. You will even see Netflix originals that are worth checking out.

In the end you can stream and watch some of your favorites shows and movies without paying a bulk load for cable. Yes Netflix does not have every single show but you will find something you love and it is really easy to navigate through.

• Primary use:
    • Personal
    • Computer Platform:
    • Other

We love Netflix.

Comments about Netflix:

My family and I really love Netflix, it is so convenient to be able to watch in your living room and not have to drive to the store, use up your gas, and rent to movie elsewhere. I didn't like at first that a lot of the titles are older, but they seem to be adding a little more of the newer stuff now days. I also like that there is such a wide variety of different types of things to watch. That there are tons of different shows and things also that you can watch, but still a great selection on movies also. I also like that there is a while kids section so that my kids don't have to see some of the more adult titles and I don't have to worry about them going to any of that as I told them if they want to use Netflix to only go on the kids section or they wouldn't be allowed to use it at all. That has worked out fine. As far as the kids, they have like every show that they have ever liked, and tons of movies that are appropriate for them also. With all of their favorite shows available in one place it makes it more convenient for them also, so they end up watching Netflix a lot of times now instead of the cable. I have also been thinking about bringing my package down to a lot cheaper cable package because we do have Netflix and we watch that a lot instead of our cable.

Inexpensive Entertainment For The Whole Family

Comments about Netflix:

Netflix is a great service to have and definitely caters to the entire family. They all kinds of movies and television shows for all ages. Unfortunately they do lack having some of the shows which are of higher popularity with my family. These are mostly children (preschool age) shows and also some newer movies and/or shows for adults. Since getting Netflix my family has definitely got our money's worth out of it everyday. It is an extremely inexpensive option when compared to the price of cable or satellite television; barely a fraction of the cost of that and renting movies all month long. My children have enjoyed being able to watch their favorite cartoons when they want rather than at a set time on cable. I love the fact that I can watch Netflix on basically any of my devices such as my television, computer, tablet, or even my phone. The search feature is great as I can look up what I want to watch based on keywords or actors instead of having to know the exact name of the show or movie. It evens suggests new things to watch based on your previous viewing history. Such a great, cheap service.

I absolutely love Netflix!

from Kansas

Comments about Netflix:

Netflix is the best video service out there, by far. No other video service comes even close. Not only is it very cheap but their movie and television show selected is HUGE. If you are still paying for cable or satellite service, you need to stop and just get Netflix!

I'm a broke college kid and do not have the excess funds to pay for cable. I can only watch the same movies I own so many times before I'm bored of them. Everyone kept talking about Netflix and I didn't figure it was that great of a service. I was wrong. I purchased Netflix and pay a very small amount of money each month for basically ENDLESS television shows and movies. Cable or satellite doesn't even compare. You have more selection of Netflix for a much lower price. You can stream Netflix onto your computer, phone, tablet or through your X-Box or Play Station. You can watch television and movies basically anywhere. You don't have to watch commercials and can pause what you're watching at any time.

Seriously, you need Netflix if you don't have it. The only problem is you may be sitting there for hours watching your favorite television show. Ha ha.

I'm so glad we have Netflix at home.

Comments about Netflix:

I love having Netflix. It is the best idea ever. It is so convenient for movie night with the hubby and also when my niece comes over and she wants to watch cartoon or kid movies. I also put it on for my daughter. She's starting to pay attention to the T.V. so I'll put on kid shows for her. Most of my favorite T.V. shows are on Netflix so I'll watch all the episodes until they are over. Then I'll find other awesome T.V. shows to watch. I like the fact that Netflix is starting to add a lot of Disney movies because I actually enjoy watching some of them and I also like that they play seasonal movies too. I was a little disappointed when they took off some kid shows like Yo Gabba Gabba because that is my niece's favorite show and it keeps her quiet when she comes over. I think Netflix has been pretty good at putting newer movies up because for awhile they would take forever to show a newer movie. I was surprised to see that Netflix had the Croods already so that was a nice surprise. I do wish that they would update their comedy a little bit but other than that Netflix is really great to have.

Just as much entertainment as cable at a fraction of the cost

Comments about Netflix:

We signed up for a free trial of Netflix through our xbox system just to try it out. I was immediately disappointed that they didn't offer any A&E shows, but we still enjoyed being able to instantly stream so many shows and movies. By the time our trial was up we had even canceled our cable subscription, we just didn't use it anymore. Luckily there is an A&E app available for xbox as well, so we are covered. Nearly any show or movie we have wanted to view has been instantly available. Every episode, not just the current season like you get with cable. Not only has the service saved us a ton of money, it has provided hours and hours of entertainment. We have never had a singly problem with the performance of the app or connection problems. Our internet speed is pretty run of the mill but it still streams the content flawlessly. No more buffering or choppy videos like we got through our laptops on other sites. I couldn't be more pleased with the service.

A great opportunity to find new movies and shows

Comments about Netflix:

With such a wide variety of shows and movies, it is almost positive that there will be something for you on Netflix. Personally, my family does not have cable and we have been members of Netflix for almost four years now. Because of this switch, I have found and watched through at least 5 new series that I became "obsessed" with. It offers children movies for the entire family, chick flicks for girls night, horror films for anyone who cares to watch, and much more. Netflix is a collection of well known titles as well as hidden gems, making it less of a television attribute and more an experience.

Comments about Netflix:

I have nothing but great things to say about Netflix. I started subscribing to Netflix about a year ago. I watch it on my Roku almost every day. One thing I love about it is that you can watch it on more than one device. So, my husband can watch it on his computer, and I can watch it on my Roku in the living room. My kids can also watch it in their bedroom. They have such a wide range of television shows and movies. There is always something to watch. My favorite shows are the Netflix original shows. They have about 10 of them, but I have only seen 4. Of the four I have seen, I really enjoy all of them. I can not wait for the next season to come out. They also have a separate Netflix channel for kids. I can click on the Netflix kids button, and I know my kids cannot get into anything they shouldn't see. They have a great variety for kids, and they love it too! If you are debating getting Netflix or another streaming service, pick Netflix!

feeling so so

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Netflix:

While netflix is great for finding underground movies and television shows you probably never heard of, it's not so great when it comes to being up to date as far as your favorite mainstream television shows. I find myself disappointed alot of times when I watch my favorite shows only to find that either the seasons are not up to date or some seasons are missing an episode or two which makes it confusing especially for shows that may have a recurring story line. I am also disappointed at the fact that in a time where I am more likely to stream my movies either through my computer or game system rather than watching an actual DVD, that netflix doesn't give their customers who stream content as much of a variety to choose from as they do customers who want to be sent DVDs. I mean, let's be realistic, while I want more to choose from I don't want to go through the bother of only being able to get a couple of DVDs at a time and having to wait to receive my new rental in the mail. Not when I can just get on their website and watch as many shows or movies as I want in one sitting and only have to worry about the movie buffering for a couple of seconds. With that being said, Netflix is one of my go to options for entertainment because it is much more cost efficient than spending money on cable each month and I don't have to worry about a contract or additional monthly fees besides the standard monthly cost.

I love Netflix!

Comments about Netflix:

I love Netflix! I have been a member for about two years and have loved the service. After the first year of having it, we got rid of our cable because all we did was watch Netflix anyway. The TV show selection is phenomenal. They have so many shows to choose from. Almost all of the new shows on TV are on instant streaming. I wish they would put more of my childhood shows on the streaming selection. However, I have never been in a position where I can't find a great show to watch. My husband and I have watched the complete series of many shows in two years. The movies are good, not great. They are doing a lot better about putting new releases on instant streaming. That is the only thing I would say doesn't get a 10. I would like a better movie selection on the streaming service. Overall, Netflix is wonderful. It always loads and plays great for us. We watch it through our Smart TV. I highly recommend trying it out!