Other Allergy & Sinus Medicines:
NeilMed

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

Mother Nature's Approach to Sinus Congestion...

I can just imagine Mother Nature, complete with a floral ring on her head, using the **Neti Pot**.  It is an easy, drug-free approach to sinus congestion.Read complete review

My son and I have bad seasonal allergies that seem to last all year.  They just go from season to season.  I have, in the past, lived on Sudafed, but I am trying to find alternative solutions to all of my health issues.

For sinus congestion, I will sometimes make a strong [two bags] cup of peppermint tea, drink it and then lay down with the bags on either side of my nose.  It somehow draws the mucus and helps clear the nasal passage.  I also use [Sinus Buster ][1] [made from Capsicum Peppers], but when things feel like they are out of control I use the NasaFlo Neti Pot by NeilMed.  The saline solution helps cut down on the bacteria in my nasal passages, thus keeping infections at bay.

The Neti Pot is easy to use.  Just fill the "tea pot" with a packet of the saline solution mixed in one cup of warm water.  Insert the tip of the pot into one nostril while leaning away and tilting your head.  Let gravity do the work.  The solution will go through one side of the nasal cavity and flow through to the other side, draining as it does so.  Use about half of the solution and repeat the procedure in the other nostril.  This clears out the mucus and debris that has collected, cleans the cavity and brings relief.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Sicap-Industries-Sinus-Buster-Nasal-Spray-Metered-Dose-1oz-review-70336

TAKES GETTING USED TO, BUT WORKS.

I TRIED THE NEILMED NASAFLO NETI POT FOR MY STUFFED UP SINUSES. I WILL HAVE TO SAY IT WORKS, BUT YOU HAVE TO GET USED TO IT. IT CAN GET A LITTLE MESSY BUT THAT SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM. I FEEL ONCE YOU GET USED TO THE NETI POT YOU WILL HAVE A CLEARER NASAL PASSAGE.

THE NETI POT IS EASY TO TAKE WITH YOU ON TRIPS SUCH AS VACATIONS AND ANY OVERNIGHT STAY, ITS NOT A HUGE OBJECT, BUT WHEN USED TRY TO USE ALONE AND NOT AROUND OTHER PEOPLE, I FEEL IT'S NOT VERY ATTRACTIVE TO DO IN FRONT OF OTHERS.

MY TRUE FEELINGS IS THAT IF YOU HAVE NASAL PROBLEMS, DEFINITELY TRY THE NEILMED NASAFLO NETI POT, YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE.

THE COST I HAVE NOTICED VARIES AT DIFFERENT LOCALES. THE PRICE I PAID WAS QUITE REASONABLE, SO NO COMPLAINTS IN THE PRICE DEPARTMENT.

NOW, THE MIX YOU USE IN YOUR NETI POT IS PREMEASURED AND VERY EASY TO MIX. YOU NEED TO USE DISTILLED WATER WHEN YOU MIX YOUR PACKET. MY NETI POT CAME WITH 50 PACKETS TO USE, I NOTICED THE STORE ALSO CARRIES PACKET REFILS WITHOUT THE POT, WHICH IS ALSO CONVENIENT.

SO, I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST THAT YOU GIVE THE NETI POT A TRY FOR YOURSELF, AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT KIND OF RESULTS YOU WILL HAVE. I AM SURE THEY WILL BE POSSITIVE.

Received a Free One

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

I had my reservations about the Neti Pot, because it looked uncomfortable and I was not sure it would work. I got the pot itself for free though, so I decided I would give it a try. One day when my sinuses were really clogged up I made the mix in the pot as it suggested and then ran it through my nose. It goes in one side and out the other. It was a little difficult the first time, but it gets easier. It feels totally weird! But, after I got over the tingly feeling, my sinuses were all the sudden not so clogged! And, I didn't have to take medicine, just use saline. I was very happy about this, because I like to reduce my medicine intake as much as possible. It worked great, and I would highly recommend it, especially for people who have allergies, and they know it is not a cold or flu (although it would help you too, you would probably still need medicine). The saline packets are also easy to find at a variety of stores.

Neti Pot

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

First off this is the oddest feeling ever in your nasal passages but once you get the hang of it, it does work. It took me several tries to use this correctly and not have the water go down my throat and choke me. You have to be very relaxed and hold your head at the right angle to get it to go through one nostril and out the other. The warm water with the added saline powder does seem to clean your passages out and helps with breathing and congestion. This thing was my best friend when I had pregnancy congestion and couldn't take any medicine. Great for allergies and sinus issues too.

Works great at clearing out the junk and keeping your nasal passages moisturized.

Took me several tries to get it to work right, I kept getting the water down my throat and choking on it. After I finally relaxed and held my head just right I got the hang of it.

Immediacy
This is more for daily maintenance, won't clear up congestion instantly but over time does help.

• Immediacy:

Natural way to feel better.

from Matthews, NC

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

I bought this after seeing Dr Oz recommend it. It is a natural way to clean out your sinuses. It is extremely effective and all natural. It uses salt water to clean out your sinuses instead of over the counter or prescription medicine. You basically fill it with warm/hot water and direct the water into one of your nostrils. This is best done over the sink or in the shower. The water comes out of your other nostril. It cleans out your sinuses instantly. You can do this a couple times a day. It is CRITICAL that you use sterilized water NOT TAP water though. You can either buy it or just boil or microwave some tap water to sterilize it first. I have been amazed at the results from using a neti pot. I must admit that at first the sensation of having the water flow through your nose is a little unusual but you get used to it quickly. I think this is the perfect item to use if you are into all natural home medicine.

natural relief

from MA

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

If you suffer from seasonal allergies , chornic " dry nose or mouth " or chronic sinusitis , you are suffering from headaches , blocked sinus passages and need relief. I am a firm believer in trying natural methods first before we put drugs into our system needlessly .
The purpose of a NetiPot is to naturally cleanse and irrigate swollen nasal passages and this NeilMed product does that quite effectively when used in conjunction with the Neil med saline packets ( basically just salt and water ! ) .
You fill the NetiPot with warm water and add the saline packets to the water , letting it dissolve a bit .Then you turn your head to the side and pour the solution into your nostril .It is definitely a but tricky at first and it does feel like you have an abundance of water flowing throughout your nose, almost like drowning, but then the water flows out the other nostril.
You will feel the difference very quickly. You will be able to breathe better through your nose rather than just through your mouth . " Mouth breathing " actually sets you up for chronic sinusitis and rhinitis .
It feel like you have given your sinuses a bath which you effectively just did ! I can guarantee that if you use a NetiPot with the premixed saline, you will breathe easier and have fewer sinus congestion problems.
For me , the NeilPed squeeze bottle that performs the same function is simpler to use , but I bought this NetiPot before I found the squeeze bottle method . Both work as effectively , it is all a matter of preference but the squeeze bottle design is simpler as an applicator .

It will clean you out.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

First let me warn you, Neti Pots are pretty gross, they are not something that is enjoyable or something that you are going to like doing to yourself, they are no fun and it feels very awkward having that liquid running through your nose and sinus cavities and feeling like it is going to shoot out of your mouth. This is the fastest and best way that there is out there to get rid of nasal congestion, hands down, this wins every time. You put the medicine in the put, tilt your head, insert it into one side of your nose and open your mouth and pour it in, it then comes out the other side flushing out all of the nasty congestion and mucus that has been in your sinuses that is causing the problems. These work so well, they take away pressure and pain instantly and you can breath again and feel so much better. They also work well if your allergies are bothering you really bad, they always help if I have been outside and my allergies are going nuts, it clears it out and I instantly feel better.

I hate this thing

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

I hated using a neti pot when I had a bad sinus infection. I did not like it because it is complicated, messy and very uncomfortable. I always used filtered clean water. Pouring it through my nose was difficult because of the weird angle, plus it was gross to have the water come out the other nostril along with snot. It was messy, goopy and ran down my face and into my mouth which was disgusting. I did notice some relief, however it did not last long. I probably had twenty minutes of relief before my nose clogged again. I did like seeing the snot come out of my body rather than relying on medication to get rid of it. The time and effort it took to use the neti pot was not worth the level of relief it provided in my opinion. I think they are incredibly germy and need good sterilization after each use. I would not use this every day because it is time consuming, messy, expensive and I don't feel comfortable pouring liquid up my nose often because it does not feel natural.

• Immediacy:

My first neti pot experience

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

Neilmed nasaflo neti pot was the very first neti pot I had ever tried. One day I was feeling so very congested I could barely breath. A friend of mine recommend a neti pot. Neilmed nasaflo was the best priced neti pot I found at the supermarket! I love that this product is so affordable. Since I had never used a neti pot before I was concerned that it would be very difficult to use. What I really loved about this particular product was the fact that it came with extremely detailed instructions on how to use it. It has illustrations as well as a lot of great descriptions to help you feel comfortable while using this product for the very first time. Not only was this product easy to use, but I love to using it! My sinuses felt so much better. It took care of the sinus headache I had it and I no longer felt congested. What I also love about this particular product is the fact that you have relief almost immediately.

And extremely effective product.

Very easy to use if you follow the instructions step-by-step.

Messy!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

I know a lot of people really like Neti Pots but this was definitely not for me. At all.

I have seasonal allergies that I control with medication which can sometimes over dry me so I looked into more natural approaches and came across the Neti Pot.

To use this little tea pot looking thing you mix one packet of saline solution with warm water. Then you are somehow supposed to stick this up one nostril while tipping your head (hopefully over the sink) and letting the mixture go in one nostril and out the other. It sounds easier than it is. I attempted this several times and was unsuccessful each and every time. I ended up with a wet shirt and stupid saline solution everywhere but the sink. Even worse I was wet and still had a stuffy nose.

I really cannot recommend this. It's nearly impossible to use without making a giant mess. Perhaps I just don't have the knack but my Neti Pot is currently residing unused in the medicine cabinet.

Effective but gross

from Illinois

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

From now on, every head cold I get will be cured by this little miracle. It works on several different levels. By removing the mucus, you're able to breath better, and perhaps sleep if that what you need. The saline solution sanitizes (from what I understand of it anyway) which also helps reduce the mucus amount you output.

Immediate results.

I highly suggest you stand somewhere easy to clean, like your face in the sink, or the bathtub. My experiences with my nedipot have been messy, as your'e forcing mucus out of one nostril through the other, in theory. Mine didn't work out quite that way, however. In one nostril, and into my mouth. I couldn't maintain letting it stream the entire pot through my nasal cavities like they tell you to do, so when I attempted it the first time, it ended up in my mouth as well. No harm done, but it was nauseating. Now, I do enough that i feel the sinus cavity drip and blow everything out. Works much cleaner. Either way, it does suggest you pour out your mucus, and if done right comes out like a tap being opened. Be warned.

Immediacy
After blowing out the remainder of what it left, I found I could breath far easier than any other product left me. The saline helped reduce the mucus as well, and I got better faster because it was kicking the mucus out.

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot:

When I had first heard about this NeilMed NasaFlo Neti Pot product, it made a lot of sense to me. It seemed like it would be an easy way to help flush out the nasal passages, so I bought one. It was alright, but I wasn't real impressed with the container. The tip of the jug didn't fit well in the nostril. I found it very difficult to get the water to flow from the spout, into the nasal passages without the water dribbling all down my mouth and chin. The handle was difficult for me to hold on to as I was leaning over the bathroom sink and tipping the container to make the water flow into the nasal passages. The handle just didn't seem to have the right ergonomics to be used comfortably in the position you need to be in when using it. I found the cap a little difficult to get off and put back on. If you have any difficulties with your hands or fingers, I wouldn't recommend getting this to use for nasal congestion.