4.1

4.1

NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System

from Topeka, KS

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

I am so happy that I have my neatdesk - all my papers (tax forms, receipts, recipes) are stored in a database and they are very easy to search. The scanner is fantastic. The software very easy to use - you do not have to have a Tech degree to figure it out.
        Neatdesk is a must if you want to be organized and not to spend lots of time looking for your tax info, or receipt to manage your finances, or the very recipe to bake your favourite cake.

The NeatDesk Desktop Scanner: A Model of Office Efficiency

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

Maybe it takes years of laboring over a clunky, antiquated office scanner to appreciate the sleek and efficient NeatDesk Desktop Scanner, but I'm guessing that even newcomers to the wonderful world of scanning will be thrilled by how quickly this device dispatches chaotic piles of paper into digital calm and order. My favorite feature? The magic with which a scanned document or receipt converts into a crisp, readable PDF file simply by dragging it from the Table Pane in the Neat interface onto a computer's desktop. (I used the Neat for Mac; I assume that the process is the same or similar for PC users.)

NeatDesk entered my life at a particularly stressful and hectic time. I was in the midst of organizing the entire operations for my office, KeyWord Communications, in preparation for relocation from Virginia to Ohio. At the same time I was on deadline to get a year’s worth of receipts to my new bookkeeper (located some-500 miles away) so that she could prepare a profit-loss statement for my business. But wait! There’s more! I also needed to send myriad documents, none of which had the good fortune to begin life as a PDF file, to a loan officer more than 1,300 miles away in order to process a mortgage for our new home in Ohio.

To find out how my trusty new sidekick, the NeatDesk Desktop Scanner, swooped into my life to save the day, look for a longer review on my blog, The Midlife Second Wife.

For now, I'm going to sit back with a cup of coffee and admire the smooth, nearly paper-free surface of my desk.

interesting

from Laramie, WY

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

looks like an easy way to organize your items in a quick fashion. I have been using my scanner at home that is a bit more cumbersome and have found it to be adequate but not as easy as using this neat desk desktop. I have found that I make myself use it and then there is no excuse for not getting my items taken care of. Because it is easier, it is a breeze to take care of what needs to be done.

The Neat Desk is pretty neat and will also keep your life neat.

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

I was surprised to like the Neat Desk. I'm not very organized, and don't really feel the need to be. But, my accountant says I must, so I tried to embrace Neat. While the instructions and the capabilities seemed daunting, the Neat Desk was actually really easy to use. Once I installed the software on my computer, I was able to scan documents, bills, and business cards in a flash. I can even make pdfs for emailing hard copies. Some caveats: learning how to file your documents, make spreadsheets, etc will take time. Also the scanning isn't foolproof, so while it's really amazing how the software can actually populate fields from receipts, you do need to check to make sure everything is accurate.

I definitely recommend this item if you want to go paperless while keeping good records.

The Neat scanner has one too many flaws

from Chicago, IL

My bottom line:
                    The NeatDesk desktop scanner is hard to set up, buggy and the scans were low quality. I would not recommend it.

Disclosure:
                    I am the CEO of Viewpoints. We ordered a bunch of these Neat Scanners for testing by our blogger panel. We paid for them.

About Me:
                    I am a entrepreneur and an avid user of technology. And I am particularly interested in finding products that help me organize my life and be more efficient. I scan my business cards using an iPhone app called Card Munch, I have several apps for scanning documents such as JotNotPro, Scan Pages and TurboScan. For the last year I have been using the HP 7510 desktop printer which has a great scan function that scans documents, puts them in a folder of my choice as a PDF. The quality is good but the speed is a bit slow. I have set up the HP 7510 to it put scans directly in my Dropbox folder so that those scans then show up on my laptop, iPad and iPhone.

A little background:
                    When I went to test the Neat scanner I was excited that it might make things even easier, faster or somehow better. Instead it seems to be a step back from my current set of tools. I will be not be using the Neat scanner going forward. So what was wrong you ask? Let me count the ways: 1) I use a MacBook Air and had to contact the company to find a way to install the software without a DVD. Strike one. 2) Strike two frankly is that they require any software at all. 3) Strike 3 is the scan of a simple page was low quality. Like very low quality. And the first time I went to scan it did not work and I had to shut down my computer. Oh and did I mention their software was frozen and I had to do a force quit?

And I have no desire to store my scans in their proprietary management application. They should integrate with Dropbox and Evernote and others rather than try to push their own application.

The only good news is that the scanner seemed faster than the HP 7510 and the form factor was smaller on my desk. I might have actually kept it for just this reasons but being tied to proprietary desktop software that is buggy and having low scan quality is a non starter.

I cannot recommend that anyone buy the Neat Desktop scanner.

Neat Desk Desktop Scanner: More Organized than Me!

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

I wiish I could show before and after photos: My Messy Desk Before and My Neat Desk After. I thought if I raised my hand to test this product then my obligation would force me to scan all those receipts, docs, business cards and contracts that littered my desk for months ( years?). I run a small media company, ceating content from novels to podcasts. I love to create and I hate to file/bill/organize! Could the NeatDesk make a full-service business woman of me? Well, yes, it did. I tested and was organized. And dare I say, it was fun.

I was slightly freaked by the set-up process because this is usually my downfall of any tech product-- the first 5 minutes of ownership. But it was a simple step-by-step process that took about 20 minutes. After that, I got to work scanning and organizing. Any glitches I had were sorted out quickly-- and usually operator error! most of the documents I scanned were 4 to 5 page contracts which went fairly smoothly. I got all those receipts from business expenses scanned ( including the ones that were mangled!) and off to my account for tax time. And I working my way through the stacks of business cards I've collected over the years.

Easy to use, efficient and effective, this is a nifty little product for someone like me who runs a small business but doesn't have a lot of time ( or interest) to spend filing and organizing. The prices seems high-- but can you really put a price on a clean desk?

NeatDesk Lives Up To Its Name!

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

Let me just start off by saying...I am paperwork-challenged! I am notorious for letting it pile up on my phone desk until it becomes this overwhelming mountain that I have to then spend hours sorting through! I have tried to set up endless paper filing systems that just end up collecting dust and taking up precious space in my office.
                                NeatDesk has allowed me to cut the piles of paper in my office down to practically nothing...and I have never felt more organized! This is the way life should be!
                                Now instead of letting things pile up, I either scan it or toss it right when it comes across my desk and I'm done. No more anxious glances at "the pile" wondering what's in it that I really should be looking at and dealing with. I don't think I realized how much anxiety that was causing me until it went away. :-)
                                The NeatDesk was a dream to set up. I actually left it in its box much longer than I should have because I was worried about the amount of time it was going to take to set up. Waste of worry on my part. (Story of my life!) I had it set up and scanning within 15 minutes. Now it sits on a shelf within arms length of my desk at all times and gets a pretty steady work out! I have conveniently located the trash can directly underneath it and now after I scan it, I toss it! Ahhh....so liberating!
                                I actually was so impressed with the NeatDesk that I purchased one for my bookkeeper. Now, instead of spending precious time trying to tame the paperwork monster, we can both focus on what we do best! A win-win in my book!

A Must For Anyone Who Craves Organization

Comments about NeatDesk Desktop Scanner:

The NeatDesk Desktop Scanner has saved my sanity. It's an easy way to tackle all the piles of paperwork around the house, and it helps keep my important documents safe and accessible. While it does have some technical issues, it's worth using. It's become a part of my daily routine.