3.6
2100MAX
Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator

Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator

3.6

outstanding, got us out of a lot of wrong ways

Okay here goes.  We are from the 40's, in our 60's, been through the invention of the television to the computer and ready and willing to try the next thing down the road.  I am the last one beside my husband to have a cell phone.  He will never get one.  He will use one, but not pay for one.  Anyway, back to the Navigon.  Here is our experience with the Navigon, it is either 2100 or 2001, I can't remember.  some 60's thing I guess lol.  Anyway, we farm and never go anywhere, my husband sits in a chair all winter long and watches the tube and when spring comes he turns in to a farming maniac.  Well, this year some of his cronies from his favorite meeting place decided to get ill.  I came down the stairs to see him practically in tears.  He didn't say anything, but I knew.  He was feeling mortal.  He has worked from the time he was 5 years old and cut his hand half off when he was 5 in a cornpicker.  They managed to put most of it back on though.  Well, I can never get him to go anywhere or do anything fun, although I do try.  We saw the ad for the Navigon on tv on one of the home shopping clubs that he hates.  We waited till we could afford one and the price came down and went to our local radio shack to purchase one.  Then we had to decide where to go.  I don't know what came over him, but he decided out of the clear blue sky to go to a casino.  Now, mind you the only money spent here is on a new tractor or on some bag of seed or fertilizer.  So, before he could change his mind I said yes let's go.  The days went by and soon the anticipated day arrived and we hopped in his truck and off we went.  The hard part was figuring out how to use the thing, but I figured out my computer when my daughter told me I could do it, so I programmed it to go to town since I already new the way I figured I could manage that.  Wow, I can say it worked perfectly.  I arrived in town with an announcment that I had reached my destination.  So, I reprogrammed it for a casino about 128 miles from us.  The one mistake I made was to program it for the shortest route.  Bad move, we were headed to West Virginia and during our cruise we saw more of the hills of West Virgina than we needed to.  Plus it was snowing and I am afraid of snow and my husbands driving and the anticipation that we might slip and go over one of the cliffs we were driving past was more than I could handle.  Well, to make a long story short we made it.  Hopped out of the truck and to take him into a casino was a hoot, I should have had a camera.  He had no idea what to do or how to do it, so he sat and watched me while I threw my money away.  After we had lost most of what we came with we decided to throw caution to the wind and not spend the night.  We knew we could find our way home in the dark with our new gps system.  We made it to the toll bridge, which I might add was very frightening, a long way to the river below and I closed my eyes and said every prayer I knew.  You can only go 20 miles per hours so I said quite a few of them.  The toll taker at the end of the bridge had told me when we went over the first time that they had just replaced the duct tape on the bridge so it was safe.  I thought that wasn't especially funny.  Off the bridge we went, and into the little town of Chester.  I might add that all of the people in that town were wonderful after we took a wrong turn off the bridge on the way over, the bridge guy told us right, but I was so scared that I thought he said left.  After a trip to McDonalds to get coffee and ask for info (my husband wouldn't ask for free information) we took off down the road and found the casino.  On the trip home we took a left turn to early and ended up in the hospital parking lot.  We came out and took another wrong turn.  The woman on the gps said turn left now, well there were a lot of drives and little roads.  She should have said take a left at the second light or something like that.  We took another wrong turn onto the freeway even though the girl said you are going the wrong way and begging us to take a u turn right away.  She said it 3 times, but we couldn't take a u turn because there was a cement divider in the middle of the highway.  Finally going down the road, she gave up and told us to please take the next exit, turn left, and left again and get up on the same highway.  The arrows were all pointing in the right direction so we figured we were going in the right direction.  Hooray!  Finally, the gps did a recalculation of our route without us doing anything and off we went.  I don't know if they had had it with us or what, but they took us the long way home.  LoL.  Sorry this was so long, but we are headed out to Iowa in a couple of weeks to see our new tractor come off the line and get a gold key to it.  don't ask me why we need a gold key, I am sending my son along with him and I am staying home.  It is all programmed and ready to go.  By the way, my son is driving so who knows where they will end up with my husband giving the directions.  I highly reccomend this item.  I love it and can't wait to go again to the casino when all of my sisters get together.  Can you imagine all of us over the hill gang trying this thing out.  Good news though we are going to the same casino!

You can't get lost with this GPS system

The Navigon 2100 is very sleek and a compact design and has an affordable price tag that includes text-to-speech functionality. The unit has an integrated traffic receiver, so you have the option of adding traffic updates at a later time at a price.  Even though it's small it does have a standard 3.5-inch touch screen. Maps and text appear sharp and vibrant and I am able to read the display in various lighting conditions, including bright sunlight.  The main menu page includes five clear options: New Destination, My Destinations, Take Me Home, Show Map, and Options. The function of all the icons on the map screen isn't clearly identified so I had to read the user manual familiarize myself with all the unit's functions.

This GPS system comes with a car charger, a vehicle mount (windshield and dash), an SD card preloaded with U.S. maps, and reference material. The Navigon 2100 is equipped with a SiRFstarIII GPS chip and includes Navteq maps of the 48 contiguous United States preloaded on the included SD card. To start planning a trip, you can enter a location by specific address, point of interest, recent destination, user-defined home, and so forth. The 2100 can calculate routes in one of four ways--fast, optimum, short, or scenic--and gives you the option to allow or avoid highways and toll roads. There are also options for creating routes via pedestrian or bicycle mode. Other standard navigation features include automatic route recalculation, multistop trips, simulated demos, and speed alerts.

Great for the price, but not a perfect system

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

I purchased this Navigon system almost two years ago. It's held up well, but in retrospect, I would have purchased a different gps system. Compared to the other gps systems in my family (TomTom, Garmin), the Navigon tends to take longer to locate the satellite and sometimes has issues avoiding traffic. Additionally, if I am stopped in traffic, it will tell me to exit on some non-existant road because it gets confused. Sometimes it takes me out of my way to get places (ie: has trouble identifying the optimal route). The POIs also aren't great. It seems they're only listed if they're paid advertisers. I can't find a drugstore with my Navigon.  It's simple to use, but it could be faster and more accurate.

AWESOME!

from Millington, MI

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

What a great little device this is.  It' is amazing what this little thing can do.  The Navigon 2100 has this amazing color touch screen that is way cool.  With 64 MB of built in memory you couldn't ask for more.  It came with a rechargeable lithium ion battery, car holder, car power adapter with TMC antenna.  Once you enter in where it is you are headed the Navigon 2100 will calculate your route to avoid U-turns, quickest route, avoid toll roads, fast/short route and the features go on and on.  It also has an SD slot for added memory.  Some of the features on this device are;  optional external GPS antenna connection, built-in speaker, speed limit warning, 2D / 3D map perspective, TMC (Traffic Message Channel) ready, preinstalled POIs, Text-to-Speech (TTS).  We personally love the fact that "Lola" will talk to us and recalculate our route if we want to make and unplanned detour.  The speed limit warning is a god send too, for those of us that just like to get in and drive.

All in all the Navigon 2100 is a great buy for anyone.  It is very user friendly and simple to use.

You can't get lost with this GPS system

from Alexandria, VA

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

The Navigon 2100 is awesome!!

from 64865

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

Very easy to use. I plugged it in and it was ready to go, right out of the box. All the menus are easy to understand and the autocomplete option is nice.

I have used it several times and I'm impressed that I always get the correct directions. The best part is that it highlights which lanes you are to stay in. I don't think others have do that.

The voice is really clear so I never have trouble understanding the directions.

The touchscreen works great. Autocomplete for streets and city names with few misses and never lost signal once.

Traffic advisory, speeding alert...what more could we ask for?

I did tons of research before my purchase. So glad that I chose Navigon!!

very thin and advanced

from Dresden, OH

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

This navigation system is very good and i love being able to use it when i travel. The slim structure of the navigation system is good because i can easily attach it to my windshield easily. I also like that it does not fall off when i am driving. The screen on this system is very good and i can easily see the map and the directions on the screen as i drive. the map is easy for me to update when i need to travel to a different part of town or the country. This gps system is good because i can go online and update the maps. The maps on the screen are color quality and modern. The sound is also easy for me to hear and very easy for me to adjust. The price for this gps system is very affordabe and has great features.

The Navigon GPS is a real time-saver!

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

I decided to buy this Navigon GPS when it was offered for an unbelievable price I just could not pass up. Having used AAA TripTiks, Mapquest, and Google Maps with little success, I decided perhaps a GPS would be more helpful. I was not disappointed! This little unit gives clear directions in a pleasant voice. It gives me plenty of time to get into the correct lane before I have to turn or veer off in another direction. My only problem was that it told me to turn right onto a one-way street in downtown Tampa—the wrong way! Fortunately, I noticed it right away and turned into a parking lot until I could get my bearings, but I ended up having to just follow the signs to the Port of Tampa where I was about to embark upon a cruise. The Navigon was always very dependable around town and on long trips. The only reason I didn’t give it five stars was because it gets “confused” in large cities. Otherwise, it does the job I need it to do to get me from here to there and it is really very easy to use.

Underrated GPS, but well worth it.

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

Navigon was one of the first manufacturers to market the "3D"-style GPS view, along with all the now-standard features (voice and text turn-by-turn directions, points of interest, traffic rerouting, optional waypoints), and for that, they get bonus credit. Add in map updating via an included memory card, and optional expansion maps, and you have an solid unit.

The "3D" feature, which Navigon markets as '3D Reality View' really is a standout feature to have in a GPS; with this display option, intersections, highway exits, and interchanges are simplified, as you can see on-screen replicas of both the listed road signage and the traffic lanes, with arrows indicating the optimal lane(s) for your selected routes.

Be aware that there are three different retail versions of the 2100 that I've seen sold at various stores: (1) the basic 2100, that comes with mapsof the lower 48 states; (2) the 2120, which has maps all of North America (and maybe Mexico as well), and (3) the 2100T, that is the same as the 2100, but also has lifetime real-time traffic updating for rerouting purposes. For best performance, update the maps on the memory card to the most recent ones, via an online download.

I own the 2100T, and have used the 2120, and the only problem that I've observed (that wasn't fixable) was an infrequent problem with acquiring the GPS signal. Often, this problem can be fixed by resetting the unit and making sure that it is plugged into the charger (which improves the signal), but sometimes, there is no remedy for a poor signal.

The Navigon brand may be overlooked, but they offer plenty of great features that should be considered...

Cheap but does the work.

from Tempe, AZ

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

This was my first GPS, and it was a pleasant experience. I bought this GPS almost 3 years ago and that time it came with a life time traffic update so it was an excellent deal. I think navigon has the second best navigation software after Garmin. Navigon's GPS software does not have any clutter (like picture viewer, mp3 player, etc.) that would make the navigation more complicated. Navigon was one of the first companies to offer Junction view which makes it really easy to navigate your way through complex roads in big cities. The keyboard is pretty small, therefore sometimes it is hard to enter the address. Satellite finding is excellent, usually it takes only a minute or two to find the satellite even in the most rural areas. GPS does not comes with life time map update so you will need to pay for it every few years. Also, the POI list is meager compared to other GPS like Garmin and TomTom.

It's a lifesaver when you are lost.

from Hillsboro, OR

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

My incredible, loving husband bought this for me as a Christmas gift when we were preparing to move to a new state.  Ever since we have been in our new home I have used it continually.  I don't know how to get around anywhere by myself.  The GPS is fabulous because all you have to do is put the address in and it tells you exactly where to go.  There is a voice that talks to you step by step and prepares you in advance before you need to make a turn and before you arrive at your destination.  The best thing about this GPS is that if you happen to make a wrong turn it will correct you and tell you where to go to get you back on the correct route.  It has many features that are useful such as being able to pick if you want to take the fastest route or a scenic route.  It also has a feature that warns you when you are exceeding the speed limit by an excessive amount.  This can be helpful and annoying at times, especially if it has the wrong speed limite programmed for a given road.

Never lost again

from Liverpool, NY

Comments about Navigon Max Portable GPS Navigator:

I use this on a weekly if not daily basis.  I travel for my job to various places in the community.  it isn't always to the same location (although it often is) so this comes in very handy.  It is easy to update.  We used this when we traveled to California last spring and again when we traveled to Virginia.  It really helps us to go to places that we probably wouldn't go because we would be too afraid to venture away from where we are staying.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I am also able to use this to figure out mileage to places when I am trying to do my mileage reimbursement for work.  It is pretty accurate.  It gives you the choice of taking a direct route, a scenic route, no highways, etc.